• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
called100

More PPOs

42 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, fidd said:

The question you need to ask yourself, I suggest, is how prevalent you want PPO's to be across the game, ie, at every town, more or less equally, or, an available tool for players at towns nominated by the HC's

I asked myself said question.  This is what myself said:  "More player freedom, please.  If someone wants to place 50 PPOs (and yes I have been one of them), why should we deter them?  Are they not having fun building their fort?  I firmly support player PPOs whereever they want.  I firmly reject 'HC-only-approved' PPOs."

2 people like this

1 minute ago, forrest said:

Are they not having fun building their fort?

Hehhe, i spend 3 hours building a fort camp 141 on sedan's south bridge.
I knew from HC the AO would be coming, and axis had cut the bridges in anticipation, but then had their hands full to the north.
So i set an FM at the south bridge and quietly repaired it, then moved across it, staying far out of EWS range at all times.
Reset my FM in a little stand of trees and went to work.

I had hedgehogs and gun bunkers creatively used to make bridge traffic one way, made a double wall of gun bunks.
Made some adhoc AAA gun pits, had hedgehogs and sand bags tucked in the bushes between the bridge and sedan, had a lot of fox holes placed, more gun bunkers and sandbag walled areas.

When the AO came lots of greentags came spewing out of the FM
now mind you i had the orders set to state that this mission was only bridge defense and possibly very boring, so i tried to shuffle them off to the attack missions
but then the axis started coming, they found out the bridge was up and we had armor etc rolling over it.

So it actually wound up being a fun time for the new guys.
I kept a truck live to reset ammo boxes, and i mostly ran around replacing any defenses that got blown up, and trying to help the greenies, marking targets for them and what not.
I was kind of comical to see a PZ speeding toward the bridge and slam into a hedgehog buried in a bush, or flip over a longways placed sandbag section.

The AO eventually burned itself out, but we did hold the bridge and a lot of greentags thought it was great stuff and had no idea that they missed the real fight.

You aren't going to do that kind of thing with micromanaged limits etc.
Id rather see more PPO types to promote building fightable positions and pulling the fights out of town, or setting up checkpoints and defensive points in the towns etc.

2 people like this

56 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

When last I lived in NY, the Brooklyners were very aware of cover from gunfire - they had to be! But to answer you seriously, the very idea of erecting cover whilst under fire is pretty silly - a shallow scrape yes - a ruddy edifice with log covers and pictures on the walls - p'raps not! As for the very  minor limitation of not being able to erect these larger structures when underpopping - I seriously doubt that the number of players who do this is more than a mere handful - is hardly onerous. It would be just as easy to arrange other methods of negating the potential griefing problem, for example limiting the ability to demolish or build larger PPO's to one side per 24 hour period. This would likewise be not remotely onerous. as most towns would not support these being built unless am enginner company was attached...

Where ever players in the field feel they are needed
HC has enough to do without micromanaging whether Joey Feduchi from brooklyn new york can place a sandbag wall between him and something that's coming to shoot at him or not.

So for doing their part to help make sure the teams are even, we shall punish them?
Hey, because the other guy was underpopulated badly an hour ago, and you guys went to help them out, we are going to reward you by disbarring you from making use of part of the game, and if you do we slap you with the badge of shame.

Call me silly, but i don't see much support for that.

I can only think something very weird happened to you in game to want to start severely limiting use of PPO, which overall are probably under utilized now.

I think you typed your answer as a quote from me?

as for setting up defenses under fire

Have you watched how infantry set PPOs?
You do so at your own peril, you are standing there with a shovel digging.
Anyone who wants to shoot you can.

Self correcting issue.

On 10/12/2017 at 3:31 PM, fidd said:

The question you need to ask yourself, I suggest, is how prevalent you want PPO's to be across the game, ie, at every town, more or less equally, or, an available tool for players at towns nominated by the HC's? The latter is I would submit, far the better result. As for attacking PPO's - of the emplacement variety, in my view - and YMMV - it's daft they're available for attacking players within 2 km or so of towns, again, excepting the foxhole. Attacking players, could, however, fortify the area around their own FB prior the AO, to aid it's defense. There will always be a small contingent of players who enjoy doing their bit at these less onerous tasks, and demolishing enemy PPO's would become part of the process of strengthening it against counter-attack, or, at the very least, perhaps compelling the enemy HC to move their engineer companies back if it's retaken again. It's a tool, nothing more.

As a student of trench warfare, (Been a research hobby of mine for 14+ years) I will not have High command question my defences. Nor should they be required to. HC has more important things to do then inspecting sandbags and gun bunkers.  In the real world inspections are handled by Captains and Colonels in charge of that sections. Not by Ferdinand bloody Foch himself!

On 10/12/2017 at 4:41 PM, merlin51 said:

I was kind of comical to see a PZ speeding toward the bridge and slam into a hedgehog buried in a bush, or flip over a longways placed sandbag section.

I would like to commend your innovative use of sandbags. I had not anticipated their use as improvised dragons teeth. You can be sure that the Panzer Corps will find a fair few more obstacles in their way going forward. There's always something new to learn in the art of fortification.

I would like to reiterate my call for proper trenches. Breastworks of course due to engine limitations. Give us barbed wire and proper bunkers as well. And let us clip the ends into each other that we may remove gaps in the line. Give us straight sections, and corners interior and exterior. Make them tall, that we may run along the length without fear of enemy fire or observation. Give them firing steps, that we may fire over the parapet. Give us wire that we may keep the enemy from us and control his movements. Give us PROPER trenches.

On 10/13/2017 at 10:00 PM, muromachi said:

I would like to commend your innovative use of sandbags. I had not anticipated their use as improvised dragons teeth. You can be sure that the Panzer Corps will find a fair few more obstacles in their way going forward. There's always something new to learn in the art of fortification.

Oh its a riot.
You know how tanks will blast through a bushline hoping to run over any hiding infantry?
Plop a sandbag sidelong longways so its running with the bushline, then get a tank to charge down the bushline.

Even a hedge hog is comical.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:13 AM, merlin51 said:

Oh its a riot.
You know how tanks will blast through a bushline hoping to run over any hiding infantry?
Plop a sandbag sidelong longways so its running with the bushline, then get a tank to charge down the bushline.

Even a hedge hog is comical.

I have gotten away with a hidden dragons teeth ambush one time only.  ATRed a 232 and killed his gunner. SO he goes ballistic and wants to run me over.. so we do a dance. I notice in the bush line a single dragons teeth (tooth?) So I play torro and he turns around this time I run down the bushline and hes chasing me.. I just dodge around the tank trap and he hits it and flips... I finish him off with the ATR in the underbelly.

Not easy most of them can be seen.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:06 PM, forrest said:

I asked myself said question.  This is what myself said:  "More player freedom, please.  If someone wants to place 50 PPOs (and yes I have been one of them), why should we deter them?  Are they not having fun building their fort?  I firmly support player PPOs whereever they want.  I firmly reject 'HC-only-approved' PPOs."

By that logic all equipment in the game would be available to all players and tiers would be a thing of the past, as would RDP. Bugger "player-freedom", it's utterly at odds with giving a range of play over time. Tigers v R35's or Shermans v Pz II's may sound appealing but you'd be bored-to-bloody-tears in a week if, for every battle, only a small handful of available vehicles were competitive v the opposition. A pox on "player-freedom", it's merely shorthand for the mindset not long graduated from throwing its dinner on the floor or toys out of its pram! <grin>

7 minutes ago, fidd said:

By that logic all equipment in the game would be available to all players and tiers would be a thing of the past, as would RDP. Bugger "player-freedom", it's utterly at odds with giving a range of play over time. Tigers v R35's or Shermans v Pz II's may sound appealing but you'd be bored-to-bloody-tears in a week if, for every battle, only a small handful of available vehicles were competitive v the opposition. A pox on "player-freedom", it's merely shorthand for the mindset not long graduated from throwing its dinner on the floor or toys out of its pram! <grin>

Hey cool...are one side's PPOs stronger than the other?  Is one sandbag the equivilent of a Tiger, and the other an R35 (which I LOVE btw)? 

With that said, I think you are truly on to something here:  RDP bombing effects PPO strength!  Our sandbags are better than yours!  <grinback>

52 minutes ago, forrest said:

Hey cool...are one side's PPOs stronger than the other?  Is one sandbag the equivilent of a Tiger, and the other an R35 (which I LOVE btw)? 

With that said, I think you are truly on to something here:  RDP bombing effects PPO strength!  Our sandbags are better than yours!  <grinback>

After hitting some dipwads sandbag section he left on the damned AF causing my HE111 to do an Endo and Splode i suggest reducing the hardness of axis sandbags to be less hard than an R35.

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

After hitting some dipwads sandbag section he left on the damned AF causing my HE111 to do an Endo and Splode i suggest reducing the hardness of axis sandbags to be less hard than an R35.

You just gave me an idea.  When a side is about to take an AF, just PPO it to death.  Make them blow it all up before they can take off.  :^)

1 hour ago, forrest said:

You just gave me an idea.  When a side is about to take an AF, just PPO it to death.  Make them blow it all up before they can take off.  :^)

I thought everyone did that?

Just not on an AF FAR INSIDE FRIENDLY TERRITORY!
:mad:

36 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

I thought everyone did that?

Just not on an AF FAR INSIDE FRIENDLY TERRITORY!
:mad:

I'm slow.

Fidd, I am respectfully going to say I disagree with everything you said in the first half of your first message. 

I don't see any reason for limiting the amount of PPOs placed. If we don't have limits, we don't have to worry about sideswitchers coming along and using the limits up. I don't think this would happen anyways, because that would take something like an hour for a full sized squad to do- Its a huge waste of time.

Good thread.

The last set of PPOs really put the term "player-driven content" in the forefront for this game. They're still very fun and still highly useful in game play.

I'd love to see more PPO variety as well, but not so that they can collide. There are some great reasons to not let them collide withe nearby structures. I don't think the coding gives a distinction between player placed or dev placed like an AB wall, and that poses a problem when players start blocking exits/entrances to the point of ridiculousness -which would happen immediately.

I LOVE the idea of the PPO cool-down timer being shortened when within reload range of a truck though. Truck equals supply... maybe there's a ham sammich, some water and a cigarette on there for the engineer to catch his breath. Maybe there is sand and bags... whatever. Faster resupply and cool-down recovery.

I want to see more attachable stuff to the current FMS though, so as to confound FMS camping by tanks and that one arsehole with an SMG who just squats there and racks up 50 kills while the playerbase pisses away good supply.

I know that ATGs and AA need to be able to spawn and deploy, and that makes a closed type spawn almost impossible... but what if there were infantry AND AA/ATG spawns available on missions?

The ATG and AA one can be like the current one and the inf only can be expanded to include some raised "trenches" or open topped tunnels.

Might be good fun to toss nades around in them.

3 hours ago, vasduten1 said:

maybe there's a ham sammich, some water and a cigarette on there for the engineer to catch his breath.

No Ham please, corned beef on rye is good.

3 hours ago, vasduten1 said:

I want to see more attachable stuff to the current FMS though, so as to confound FMS camping by tanks and that one arsehole with an SMG who just squats there and racks up 50 kills while the playerbase pisses away good supply.

You can do that, what you need to do it quickly is 2 engineers to spawn 1st, and remember to leave enough room for atg's.
It's just hard to get other players interested in making the FM a viable defensive point.
They start the ant trail right off and you get found before you have your defenses built up.

There is a lot we could do, especially where you have your FM set up pre AO, set back at a farther distance and strategically placed objects for cover put in place.
Its just people chose not to.
Every rifleman could drop a sandbag making a network of covered locations to move from etc.

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:38 PM, merlin51 said:

No Ham please, corned beef on rye is good.

You can do that, what you need to do it quickly is 2 engineers to spawn 1st, and remember to leave enough room for atg's.
It's just hard to get other players interested in making the FM a viable defensive point.
They start the ant trail right off and you get found before you have your defenses built up.

There is a lot we could do, especially where you have your FM set up pre AO, set back at a farther distance and strategically placed objects for cover put in place.
Its just people chose not to.
Every rifleman could drop a sandbag making a network of covered locations to move from etc.

Maybe forward movement of troops in terms of  distance from the FM should be contingent on (either), a distance arc set by  the ML, or, creation of PPO's, or, dropping off ammo to support units such as mortars, LMG's and so forth. That might mitigate against the ant-trail whilst also helping resupply of support weapons and PPO use.