B2K

Player Awards and Recognition

16 posts in this topic

For those that are not aware, the game offers some limited awards & or recognition. These currently come in two forms. 

The first is via our stats site: https://stats.wwiionline.com/ - When the campaigns are active this site shows game based 'stats'. It also allows for a ranking system for the top players (depending on the list up to top 500).

The second is a personal project that directly led to my joining the CRS team (and a separate career in both web design and Data Analysis). Long story short I've played since the game was launched. At the time I was in the US Army, and was in South Korea. Fast forward a bit, and I wanted to get my squad noticed, so learned html in order to use my 'free' hosting (provided by overpriced cable company) to make a squad web page (it's gone now, but 7thast.com if anyone is wanting to be part of an allied squad (shameless plug)).

Eventually that morphed into 'HC has these awards that they rarely actually issue out, maybe I can apply game stats to them.........', and *poof* http://7thast.net/awards was born.

While it's not the best looking site ever designed, it does take the stated 'award' criteria (found here (http://www.alliedhq.wwiionline.com/alliedplaynow/allied_awards_display.php)for allied or here (http://www.axishq.wwiionline.com/axisplaynow/axis_awards_display.php)for axis) and directly applies it to sortie data per playername (at least for stats based stuff, doing the non-stat based awards is a lot harder as there's no clear metric to use). 

I do update the site periodically so it's slowly getting better looking. Also, at the moment, the 'awards issued (aka historic) German side of it is not the best, but the current campaign is accurate. I also have all the historical sortie data that I can use to compute the awards when that time comes (at least to when I stood the site up). 

It does automatically track stat based awards, and as I update the site the non-stat awards get added in (but my additions are infrequent at best) at some point after the HC posts their issuance (again more for the allies because well there's one of my and I play allied (I do plan on getting the German in as well, but time is somewhat limited)).

3 people like this

Bump - I've recently added some functionality to the axis side - beginning this campaign it'll start to automatically post stats based recognition at campaign end (hopefully - it works as a manual script).  I'll be spending some time going backwards to integrate prior campaigns in as well.  Currently last campaigns awards are up. 

In a couple different locations, the Allied "Air Force Medal" is misspelled "Metal."  Just so you know.

-Irish

What is the wound ribbon?  Not sure I've ever seen it listed in the 'medals' list.

And how come I just see a '?' instead of the image of the ribbon?

Also, I noticed the Marine Infantry Badge list is not sorted by sorties, like many of the other lists are?

Edited by delems

On 11/17/2017 at 5:41 PM, delems said:

What is the wound ribbon?  Not sure I've ever seen it listed in the 'medals' list.

And how come I just see a '?' instead of the image of the ribbon?

Also, I noticed the Marine Infantry Badge list is not sorted by sorties, like many of the other lists are?

I can fix the sorting for the marine infantry badge - not sure what the order is at the moment.  

As for the ribbons, at the moment there are several separate DB's for awards - as well as where the images are hosted, so if you get one on the allied side you won't see it if you look up your axis awards - (though you'll see the award as I've already unified that part).  If you see a ? then that could mean the image is having issues - which award was it? 

The wound ribbon is an award the allies have for KIA 1000 times.  Something screwy is going on with it though - it seems to be ignoring sides and campaign #'s... even though the code on the award page reports accurate... 

31 minutes ago, B2K said:

I can fix the sorting for the marine infantry badge - not sure what the order is at the moment.  

As for the ribbons, at the moment there are  separate DB's for awards - as well as where the images are hosted, so if you get one on the allied side you won't see it if you look up your axis awards - (though you'll see the award as I've already unified that part).  If you see a ? then that could mean the image is having issues - which award was it? 

The wound ribbon is an award the allies have for KIA 1000 times.  Something screwy is going on with it though - it seems to be ignoring sides and campaign #'s... even though the code on the award page reports accurate... 

Ya I have been awarded it several times apparently , or it shows on the list that I have, yet I have never died a 1000 times in any campaign.

LOL.........under Issued awards all my awards are wonky......its all Allied and I have played Axis for quite  a while now. 

Edited by bmw

*** The wound ribbon is an award the allies have for KIA 1000 times.

I also have never died 1000 times; and haven't played allied in ages.  Something is up as it is in my axis list every map.

Geez, those sure brought back some memories. There were some campaigns I forgot to apply for my medals. Great work and thanks. I remember the 37th campaign...........61 days and ended in a truce. Wow those were battles.

zimm out

On 11/17/2017 at 0:52 AM, odonovan1 said:

In a couple different locations, the Allied "Air Force Medal" is misspelled "Metal."  Just so you know.

-Irish

There used to be an award called Air Force Metal. B2Ks site lists both current and discontinued awards, so that individual awards can be viewed as far back as possible. People will see a number of awards in their awards list that no longer exist. :)

On 11/18/2017 at 0:52 AM, delems said:

*** The wound ribbon is an award the allies have for KIA 1000 times.

I also have never died 1000 times; and haven't played allied in ages.  Something is up as it is in my axis list every map.

yeah I found the cause of that - should be fixed now.  

On 11/17/2017 at 0:52 AM, odonovan1 said:

-Irish

I can't help what awards were named back in the day - most likely was a language issue that led (act of leading to a destination Vs lead (a soft malleable metal) to it, given the definitions easy to see how it could happen in a multi-lingual game:

(metal - a solid material that is typically hard, shiny, malleable, fusible, and ductile, with good electrical and thermal conductivity (e.g., iron, gold, silver, copper, and aluminum, and alloys such as brass and steel).

vs medal  - metal disk with an inscription or design, made to commemorate an event or awarded as a distinction to someone such as a soldier, athlete, or scholar. )      

Translation software wasn't always so useful.