fidd

Herding cats - thoughts from a returning player

7 posts in this topic

I'm a very newly returned player after a "break" of, er, some 7 years., previously playing since circa 2002 or thereabouts. I love the new PPO's and new classes of weapons.  I am  dying a lot to stuff I can't see again - but this time it's more due to my declining eye=sight than cluelessness!

Whilst there's a deal of progress been made in the intervening period, there are, I think, remaining some areas of the game that still need work:

1. Please give mission leaders some form of "stop-line" or "stop circle" (or both). What I mean by this is giving the Mission Leader the ability to define a line on the map, or a circle of variable radius, past which or out of which, players on his mission cannot move. These stop-lines  (relative to the ML) or stop-circles (relative to a spawn point) would be removable by the ML, or would naturally time out with a cool-off period between them, ideally related to the numbers of players on that mission., the higher # of players the slower the time-out and faster the cool-off period. It would give |ML's a little influence over infantry behaviour

The preceding would help prevent "ant-trails" and allow attacking players to congregate in an area prior to moving as a group when the stop-line or circle is removed - or times out. This would have implications for infantry play,  for use of APC's as delivery vehicles and ammo resupply etc.

2. "Vietnam" foliage, This mainly caused my leaving the game after it arrived, it dumbed down the game, making tank engagement ranges much much lower, made towns far too porous to infantry, to the point where defending with a screen or mixed infantry and ATG's all but impossible.  I've no objection to areas of heavy infantry cover, but they need to cease periodically more frequently to give longer engagement ranges. IMHO.

3. Where's the Universal Carrier? More built (100,000+) than Shermans and T34's combined!  IIRC. A glaring omission from the British. The Cromwell would make an interesting addition too and provide a basis for further vehicles. Likewise M3 Half-track APC for the frogs. If Artillery is on the cards, the 25 pounder, US 105mm and perhaps the Nebelwerfer?

When you talk about a stop line are you talking about an invisible wall in game that you cannot pass?

I disagree with you about "Vietnam foliage". I remember well when it was changed from the "bush tunnels" everywhere to what we have now and if anything I still think the reduction in cover in the world went too far. I was not against the reduction but there should have been more different types of cover. E.G. there should have been a lot more areas of short grass where you would be hidden if prone and not moving instead of nice lines of big bushes. This is still WWIIOL with laser sights and vast open expanses of pool table flat land.

Would love to see APC's for all sides.

An invisible wall would be a deal breaker for me. The reason why I like this game is not being restricted by funnels like other games. Also this invisible wall would be heaven for some pilots , waiting to see a huge cluster of inf to gather due to the wall and drop a bomb. With the HE audit being almost done it would kill the INF game cause now you have to wait before u can move .  I'm not even gonna cut into the griefing aspect that could happen with restrictions on INF players.

Invisible wall? Hell no! One of the great things about this game is there is effectively no borders on the playable area. I can flank through the friggen Alps if I have to! I've been killed far too often because I ran out of room to manuever because of some silly artificial border that's nigh impossible to see (far too often it's a red line on green grass).

Rather than trying to dictate a play area for other players, have you tried talking to them? No doubt some of those "cats" came because they wanted to play a milsim. Give them commands, be a team leader for a infantry squad. You will find people who came to do that, I know because I came to do that. This game doesn't nee Invisible walls, it need low level leaders to lead and inspire the rookies. I tell you this, as a rookie.

1 person likes this

Mission orders ,waypoints and attack objectives on the map work wonders. Not all players listen but thats good also . Freedom to choose means you have that freedom also. Sometimes another player may see an opening you dont. 

Interesting idea, absolutely need more tools for MLs to guide players.

*** Invisible wall? Hell no!

I'd say yes... you don't like the wall or want to follow the ML orders.. then,go make your own mission.

Other ideas:

disable all firing in mission until released (includes grenades and smoke).

be able to limit gear.. i.e. no vehicles, MGs, schrecks, sappers or ATRs on this mission.

max number on mission - won't let others spawn in once reached.

Edited by delems

Anything that increases unit operations = yes.

Lack of short grass to hide prone, non-moving infantry? Make prone, non-moving infantry invisible at LOD3 and beyond, i.e. a hundred yards or so, if they're on terrain with a normal drag factor. That'd exclude roads, streets and other in-town terrain.

Infantry grouped around a mission leader provides a tempting target for CAS? Any infantry that can't hide otherwise should go prone. Planes usually observe at LOD 3 or 4, therefore wouldn't see them.