gamevoin

Is the game really going to stay subscription-based?

12 posts in this topic

Just found this game today, and as I kept reading I could only think "This is awesome! How did I not hear about such a cool yet old game before?"

And once I register, I just have to discover that I only get 2 weeks before being locked off from large parts of the game and stay as an infantryman without ability to gain ranks and gear. Considering how the game is going out on Steam and is about to get a lot of exposure, this might be a major turn-off for many potential players, not just me.

Some of the best and most  successful players in the game are f2p,

having said that thier is that old line...

you  have to "pay to play"...

welcome gamevoin.

your question is one that is oft-debated by the 'cool yet old' vets and owners/developers of the game.  the game  has survived and had current new dev, upgrades and updates due to the old subscription model rather than the newer microstransaction or dlc model. not sure what the right answer is, or if there is some middle ground, but CRS has elected to keep the sub model for now to keep the game evolving. 

hope you enjoy playing it and will stick around with us. 

There are two ways to create a revenue stream (ongoing revenue used to keep a game running).  Those are subscriptions and microtransactions.  Since this game doesn't have pay to win "gold" ammo or armor, larger hitboxes (accuracy) and such, and the devs don't have the art resources or graphics capabilities for everyone to have a new custom avatar or emblem every month, the only way is subscription.  Single purchase (buy to play) would be nice, but what happens after everyone has purchased the game and there aren't enough new players to keep the lights on?  Unfortunately, this is a niche game rather than a mass-appeal game, so the relatively limited playerbase has to pay the expenses of keeping the game running.  Most of the Rats (devs) are volunteers.  The ones who do this as a full time job aren't getting rich off it by any means, so there's not a not of room to cut expenses.  Plus, any extra goes into hardware and software improvements for the game, so your subscription really is a good way to support the game and help it move forward.

-Irish

Edited by odonovan1

On 2017-10-03 at 8:25 AM, gamevoin said:

Just found this game today, and as I kept reading I could only think "This is awesome! How did I not hear about such a cool yet old game before?"

And once I register, I just have to discover that I only get 2 weeks before being locked off from large parts of the game and stay as an infantryman without ability to gain ranks and gear. Considering how the game is going out on Steam and is about to get a lot of exposure, this might be a major turn-off for many potential players, not just me.

Ya this is a tough situation in many ways, as others have pointed out. To be upfront the game had a near death experience about 2 years ago....but is now recovering and making some progress in various ways. It is a niche game, but that niche can grow with support. For me...given work and life demands this is the only game I play typically. I have played a long time because, despite the graphics and bugs etc.., the player base is pretty awesome. There's always something to master and learn. My hope is that more basic subscriptions will help CRS, get to the next level...i.e. new game engine. To be honest, I don't find much attraction in what I will call "accumulation" games...i.e. get more tanks, get more gold, get more badges...but that's me. I like the strategy in this game, the "level" playing ground etc.... i.e. you get shot, you likely die , any unit can kill you etc...

Anyway...welcome aboard, I. hope you can stay active and enjoy what the game has to offer and perhaps sub for while and give CRS some support to move the game forward.

S!

On 10/3/2017 at 10:25 AM, gamevoin said:

to nitpick just a little

You are not exactly locked from any parts of the game per se

Yes, for free you can only initiate spawning certain units
Which CRS has recently decided to add a per campaign? bonus unit to the free play role, this round it is the grenadier.
You get a bolt action rifle which is arguably the most deadly infantry weapon at range in the game.

You also have access to trucks, trucks are important support vehicles and are the only thing that can set up a mobile infantry spawn (FM)

You can earn and keep the rank you earn, so if you do subscribe you will be what ever rank it is that you earned.

You can be a tank, or an AT or AA gun or a ship, or a plane that has more than 1 crewman
You just need to ask and see who wants a crew, you may not be allowed to initiate the spawn, but you can join with someone else.

I get that you wish you could play everything free, i wish you could too, hell i wish i could, and in a perfect world i know he devs wish everyone could too and money would just appear as needed.
But this is not a perfect world, server hardware costs money to purchase, to house, to operate maintain repair upgrade, dedicated backbone lines cost a lot of money.
The guys who spend 10 to 18 hours a day working on the game, they have no other opportunity to earn grocery money and rent etc. And there are other company costs involved.
The game must have an income, it simply must have some kind of baseline guaranteed income, without one it simply can not exist.

And the game resides entirely in the USA so a US dollar only goes as far as a US dollar

Well there's a plethora of other options CRS can take. Almost all of them look ten times nicer to the average customer than a subscription. 

What's more is that most of these options work for hundreds of other games with a F2P element. They have also been suggested by dozens of people.

CRS seem stuck in their old ways though, something which will bite them eventually.

Subscriptions are what have kept this game alive for 15 + years. No f2p money making model would have kept CRS alive through the "Dark Age". They didn't have the staff to keep cranking out special gear for the players to purchase, everyone was already top rank so they couldn't sell XP boosters, and pay to win is an abomination to gaming and CRS would have rather let the game die than resort to it.

Subs work. And I would like to personally thank those that stayed subbed and playing through that period so that another generation could experience this Masterpiece of Online gaming.

1 hour ago, calyx6 said:

Well there's a plethora of other options CRS can take. Almost all of them look ten times nicer to the average customer than a subscription. 

What's more is that most of these options work for hundreds of other games with a F2P element. They have also been suggested by dozens of people.

CRS seem stuck in their old ways though, something which will bite them eventually.

Like what?
The game will never be pay 2 win.
Cook that in any flavor you want, it wont happen, thats a totally different game.
So you cant sell premium ammo premium tank planes rifles ships etc.
Absolute non option, can not exist in a game that is team and campaign oriented, its like having the superbowl and only the guys who paid extra get helmets and everyone else gets their brains smashed in.

What else you going to see? shoulder patches?
You going to buy enough of those a month to support the game?
WOW sells vanity stuff, and you still have to pay a full sub because the vanity sales dont cover it.

You think buying a 2 dollar patch once is going to pay for anything?
I dont think so, nor do i think anyone would buy them much here.

The game has no currency to market or anything like that, it doesnt use any for anything.

Sell rank?  Bad idea.
Then you got some numbnuts who hasnt even git gud yet rolling off in what ever top tier unit to get it blown up over and over cause he hasnt a clue, and the rest of his team has to pay for it.
Remember, it's a team game, there is a campaign going on, you affect other people.
At least when you're learning the stuff you waste is all low rank stuff that can afford a little loss.

We dont really have anything to microtransaction here, and the game was never written to support it anyways.

I get it, you want to drive around tigers and shermans and spitfires and 109s etc free and have someone else foot the bill
but i dont think thats going to happen any time soon

One of the huge gameplay advantages that the current system preserves is that only the customers who understand how unique and cool the gameplay is, choose to subscribe and be full participants.

This game is at its best when it's played by teams with mutual skills. Because to a very great extent everyone's gameplay depends on everyone caring being really into the game, it's important that full access not be free.

That's not at all to discourage new customers. The more the merrier...but you have to subscribe.

Attrition matters in this game, so the only currency in the game, rank and equipment, is only achieved when earned rather then bought.

Your subscription gives you the opportunity to earn the rank and access the equipment, and even then the equipment might not be there at the battle you want because it was destroyed an hour before.

Player bought equipment like other WWII games would be ruinous to the attrition/earned victory ethos.  I don't want to play in a pay 2 win environment.

A front-end pay $60 and play forever doesn't work either because it's a continuous dev process and not a version we pay for every other year, and they would have to shut down the 'older' versions anyway to repurpose computing power to the main game.