Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saronin

Consolidated List of Ideas for 1.36

8 posts in this topic

Development priority as per CRS:

1.36 Release

1. Redeploying High Command's focus on cultivating great community relations and massive, coordinated battles.
  2. Giving squads greater value, and say in the direction of a Campaign, or battle.
  3. Simplification of the user interface, less clicks, better design and more user friendly.
  4. Restoring rear line re-supply and interdiction operations.

Clearly town supply would solve a lot of the issues in the development priorities listed above.  That was the first hack CRS had to implement these priorities.  The purpose of this thread is to come up with ideas to keep the strategic layer of the game while meeting the above listed priorities for 1.36.  Since CRS has 1.36 on hold while issues with Steam get worked out, we has a community have a window where we can discuss these changes and present better ideas for consideration that meet these development priorities.  I would like to see actual ideas.  Merely showing up in this thread to say this idea sucks or that idea sucks solves nothing and will result you being mocked mercilessly as a complete idiot with no ideas of your own.  If you don't like something someone has to say, speak up about how you would do it better.  Otherwise just keep your yap shut and let those with actual mental capacity think of things.  Let's begin shall we.

My ideas

1.  Redeploying High Command's focus on cultivating great community relations and massive, coordinated battles.

Right now HC is completely responsible for all supply on the map including it's forward movement, it's fallback, and it's constant baby sitting.  They use a series of esoteric dot commands that are time consuming and tedious.  When HC fail to show up the system is catastrophic to the game. 

The approach to fix this is two pronged.  A hybrid system of town supply with supply available in frontline towns and linking rear towns combined  with a limited amount of brigades with TOEs that are overlaid over top seems the best way to go here.  This would allow the dynamic movement of some supply and keep campaign variability in tact.  It would remove the dreaded soft caps and lower the consequences of not having HC online. 

In addition, there needs to be a tab similar to the squads tab added in the UI specifically for high command.  Get rid of the dot commands and make all control of brigades possible through the GUI.  Allow the GUI to display full supply levels and other relevant information about brigades without spawning in to them and making a mission.  The GUI should be simple to use.  For example, click on a town and see a list of brigades in the town.  Click on a brigade and see the current supply list and number of supply tickets in route, it's current fallback, and movement timers.  A simple move brigade button that brings up a list a list of where the brigade can move.  Once a movement option is selected a box to should come up automatically to select the fallback town.  If a brigade gets bounced from a town HC should get a notice on screen to go the HC tab and reset the fallback. 

The HC tab should be available for everyone in game to see and click on.  Actual movement functions should be greyed out but the ability see the informational aspects should be available to all players.  This gets new players comfortable with the screens if they are interested in HC.  There should be a "join HC" button right in game for recruitment right near where the movement buttons are greyed out.  One the join button is clicked put all the TOS stuff up for the player to read regarding HC and HC conduct for the player to acknowledge and allow them into HC.  Have the HC hierarchy built right into the game with different levels similar to a squad promotion system so the game display who is in charge.  With fewer brigades to move and easier tools to track and move them it should be easier for HC to focus on actual battle. 

Clearly AOs should also be handed in the GUI as well.  Make them simple to add or remove right from the GUI.

2.  Giving squads greater value, and say in the direction of a Campaign, or battle.

Squads need better tools to organize their people on the tactical level.  Squads should excel at tactical gameplay.  Add a designated Squad mission that is set by the CO as the primary mission for the squad. The mission can be open to other people as well but within the squad there should be no doubt what the primary mission is. Down the road I would look at allowing missions to have multiple FRUs or spawn points within a single mission to keep squads on mission doing coordinated tasks.  Build the GUI so that the player must select one of the spawn points FRU, Spawnable, or AB that the mission leader has set for the mission.  Instead of one spawn point per mission allow 3 to 5 that include the various spawns from FRUs to Spawns to ABs that we have in game.  The more squad leaders can keep their people on a single coordinated mission the better.

3.  Simplification of the user interface, less clicks, better design and more user friendly.

The HC interface could be a bit complicated.  These are users that have been around awhile and understand the game.  The base user interface should not be at all complicated.  It should be the map with the ability to left click on a town you want to fight in.  If there are multiple brigades in the town it should say "choose brigade" with a list once the town is clicked on.  Once the brigade is chosen the mission screens are there.  The "Squad Primary Mission" button should always be on the map in one of the corners ready for players to click on or greyed out if one is not set or the person is not a squad member.  Moveable brigades will always add a bit of complexity to the GUI but it doesn't have to be the maze that it is now.

4.  Restoring rear line re-supply and interdiction operations.

With the garrison brigades in place for frontline towns and rear towns overstocking and resupply should be in effect regardless of where the moveable brigades are at.  As for interdiction operations it is possible to have them with TOEs.  TOEs in its current form almost completely killed interdiction operations due the ability to warp supply on a whim.  My proposal to add this back into game is as follows.  Once an AO is put on a town it freezes all movement into that town for three hours.  All friendly linking towns FBs open up as soon as the AO goes into effect.  This means that while supply may be frozen in the town that was AOed supply to rescue the town could be brought from friendly FBs and moveable brigades could still be moved into those towns.  The three hour time limit would be in place to give attackers sufficient time to mount an offensive, burn supply, and have interdiction battles take place without permanently freezing supply movement.  This would keep AOs from being left on a town all day simply to prevent supply movement. 

These are the basic ideas I have to meet 1.36 Development priorities while maintaining an in game strategic layer.  Anyone else have any suggestions?

Hello everyone,

I like a lot of what you put forth. I do recall that the development team did say that 1.36 is not a pure return to straight town supply like in the old days. It is difficult to contribute to the discussion without knowledge of the limitations of the code or what they have in store for us. As an example: if certain parts of a suggestion are feasible but others are not and the parts are so interconnected that just changing one piece causes more harm then good then the whole concept has to be changed or abandoned. I'm of the opinion that the setting of AO's is enough of a strategic layer without having direct and magical control over brigade movements. This to me is true so long as the movements of the brigades cannot be physically represented and interdicted.

I do believe that there should be a strategic layer or component. One of the main objections to town based supply is the possibility of repetitiveness. Mainly because we envision all supply or TOE to be similar across brigade types. All infantry brigades being carbon copies etc.

I should note here that I am a big proponent of garrisons with limited movement of brigades. For instance a brigade cannot move into a contested town directly if HC still controls brigade movements. The time it takes for a brigade to move should be very slow and once moved should have a long cool down timer, ~24 hours (all times and TOE structures should not be predictable or the same), before it can move again.

However, I'm more inclined to a system where physically moving a certain percentage of a brigade is what triggers the brigades movements with the same restrictions as discussed above. HQ should be able to move as well but never within direct reach of the front line, at minimum 2 links away from the front . It can only move if HC ranked players make the move. HQ should move even slower than regular brigades and they cannot be activated by players moving a certain percentage of HQ supply. The cool down timer for HQ movement should be even greater, such as ~72 hours once moved. HQ should also have a limit off links that it can move (3) and a limit to it's reach, at maximum 4 or 5 links to any friendly spawn/mission source that is NOT contested (AO'd). If there is no HC on then that is the fog of war or in essence HQ not being constantly aware of the entire and clear picture of the war.

That is a lot of coding I think and I'm unsure what can or cannot be done.

If we do go to mainly to town based supply then I would suggest a movable HQ as outlined above for HC. I would lengthen the time it takes to pull an AO and the ability to cancel the the AO pull if the side rallies during that period. I would disagree with the concept of highly visible supply to all. I would prefer supply to be invisible unless to all players unless it is unavailable with the exception of HC officers and brigade commanders appointed by HC. I would even remove the flags from the map with a way for only HC to see them. The system lets you see if a unit is unavailable only and you should be able to see that before selecting the mission to join.

Additionally players should be able to organize an attack on any town and eventually capture it. We have EWS. I would even suggest local EWS for capture points where if you spawn in you see any CP or bunker highlighted if occupied by an enemy unit(s). In my opinion attacks should be won by attrition or overwhelming player participation and supply. Critical to this type of change would be a reduction to truck noises and a reduction in EWS range. But I digress, especially since I thought I saw a post that said the developers cannot adjust the volume of the vehicles. I do not understand how that is possible nor do I think it was a developer posting, but who knows.

Anyway, the way that players should be able to initiate and capture is to greatly increase the capture timers and require a minimum of players in a CP to initiate the timer at all if there is no AO. Essentially making it possible for large organized squads to make their own difference even if it is more difficult. This would prevent small disorganized groups from being able to dummy attacks to the extent that it could ruin game play. This type of system would possibly encourage large paratrooper operations if only to disrupt and destroy supply.

With town based supply with or without HQ hybrid or not there are a few things I believe are critical to it's success; the main thing being variability. Wherever possible make timers variable or random within a scope that achieves a static time. Possibly the more players actively in the game world increases rebuild timers and factory production. Not logged in but in the game world. We would require an inactivity kicker for this to work. Something I think the game needs anyway. It doesn't have to be severe but there should be a limit, 30 minutes maybe. In this case FTP accounts are not tallied. Only subscribers would affect timers. You might think pay to win but it is collective pay to win. A in game reward for subscribers.

TOEs need to be variable so that all supply is not the same. Randomize them somewhat so that town after town are not the same. Place a limit of how much can fit into a town based on it's size. Allow HC to distribute the type of supply across the map at campaign start within the rules. Example: Antwerp can hold up to say X brigades (6 maybe), before the campaign begins HC decides which types of brigades are placed there. The individual brigades makeup is slightly randomized and unknown until the map actually starts. If we have a movable HQ, it can fit anywhere and if the number was 6 brigades HC could put only 5 in Antwerp and the other into HQ. The reasoning as to HQ can fit anywhere is that it commandeers the surrounding area moves very slowly with limited movement and a very long cool down timer.

CRS should also consider having as many starting templates, initial ownership layouts for HC to fill as they can to create more campaign start variability which in turn creates more replay ability from campaign to campaign.

At the tactical level the FMS and FBs should have multiple spawn in points in their surrounding area not just a single spot that can be camped along with 5 seconds of movement only invulnerability. Depots not ABs should be the same if possible but with the ability of the player to choose depot or free spawn within limits. It would be nice if depots could be moved out of line of site of the CPs but that is a stretch as probably most of what I suggest is. I also think that allowing FMSs and FBs to be able to be taken down under tremendous sustained shelling and bombing is something to consider. Just make it really difficult but feasible.

The great thing about town based supply is obviously interdiction and yes for some of us the grunt work it will take to overstock and resupply or reinforce an attack or defense. I think that with a large player base we would have enough players that actually enjoy that type of thing that it would be worth it. Especially with the addition of SPAAs. It will also do wonders for the air game. I'm sorry navy guys and gals. I've never played that enough to contribute there but possibly transport ships with the ability to create an FMS and their ability to move supply might help there as well under town based supply.

I hope this opens up some constructive thought and dialogue on the subject.

A note about terrain. What would it take to start adding more of those walls, barns, ruins etc. to provide more cover instead of concealment and removing some of the concealment. And can we just bite the bullet and not allow the setting for different amounts of concealment. Seems like we should all bite the bullet here and at least on that level play on the same field.

With all due respect,

S!

7 hours ago, arado234 said:

Effective anti camping measures.

One of the primary reasons to open up friendly FBs on a town with an AO. More spawn points = harder to camp. 

5 minutes ago, saronin said:

One of the primary reasons to open up friendly FBs on a town with an AO. More spawn points = more opportunity to interdict you in the flank side. 

You made a typo, i fixed it.

7 hours ago, arado234 said:

Mandatory game mechanics tutorial. (capping, FMS, FB, Mission, etc.)

Problem
People hate the tutorials and downvote the game for them
And then downvote the game because they dont know how to do something that they didnt want to have to do a tutorial for.

Find me the win there?

2 hours ago, merlin51 said:

You made a typo, i fixed it.

What's wrong with actually fighting in the field?  Interdiction will happen sure, but it is just another form of fighting in the game.

2 hours ago, merlin51 said:

Problem
People hate the tutorials and downvote the game for them.
And then downvote the game because they dont know how to do something that they didnt want to have to do a tutorial for.

Well, maybe that was because the tutorials start you as infantry and the first thing you are shown is W,S,D,A and sprint. It's the same thing as every other game. Total waste of time there.  Maybe it was also because the tutorials were bugged for a while screwing with people trying to get through "how to walk" and actually finishing it.

That was fixed,  but there was a need for a brief lowdown of how to find a town, join a brigade in that town and then how to see available missions and how to make one, as well as where to find the keymapper for reference.  One of the first things I find myself doing in any new game is immediately going to keymapper and having a look around. Just a 1 minute video that can be broken up over a 2 minute long intro to the game.

The win is obvious. People in action within three minutes of downloading the game and not being instantly driven to madness.

Regarding the TOEs/HC system, There are so many great ideas here I don't feel I could add much to them. Some kind of movable supply in limited availability would be nice.  The three hour AO timer is a good idea, too. Does anyone think a full brigade's worth of infantry, tanks, trucks, ATG/AA could be moved from one town to another within ten minutes?  I'd say if a command was given, it may actually be three hours before the groups start arriving. Awful lot of stuff gets moved.

The UI needs help big time. The ideas here are all good. Simplification, better and easier accessibility to everything. That's what's lacking. It's like a hedge maze of mouse clicks. I'd like to see bigger and better organized drop downs. There's no excuse for having items so close together that they cause errors and people hunching over their screens  to pinpoint something on a drop down menu. Spread them out a bit, simplify.

Regarding less campable spawn points, the spawnable places need to have some added protection like sand bag walls and stuff for cover. FMSs could be like the old FBs except surrounded by barbed wire and some emplacements/sandbags with the box in the center.

Depots and ABs could get some added sand bag walls and barbed wire too.

I'm sure there is something already in the structure files that could work well here.  It's really a shame that the terrain isn't available beneath the ground at all. A set of tunnels in ABs and depots would be awesome. I mean AWESOME. Dimly lit halls with flickering lights and fights underground.. that'd be something. *cough* submarines.

Also, v. 1.36 needs backpacks. Nice and roomy military backpacks.

Something like 30 slots.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0