stankyus

Simplification of missions

6 posts in this topic

Spawns would be simply windows into the towns supply, each spawn point simply shows what is available in the town. Brigades and sides are simply off to the side with division short description of the supply choice in the supply window. This will include the FMS. This simply means get rid of division/brigade selection prior to spawning.

1. Make missions optional.

A. No mission: NO mission works by simply going to the town via web map and clicking on static spawn point. Selecting supply item and spawning in.

a. This can serve as a means to a non-official way for squads to do squad missions.

b. Allows for fast response without having to go through the brigade, cp-target selection process.

c. Flag building checks are now just graphical interfaces, no longer needing the side/division/brigade/cp selection/make mission process.

B. Mission spawning: Broadcasting your mission.

a. Missions will be required for FMS. - All available FMS supply from the town will show up regardless of side/dev/brig

a1. Fast action window will display all avail FMSs across the entire side. It will include a automatic enemy presents rating - None, light, moderate, heavy. The MLs mission orders will be displayed in the available FMS selection screen, origin and target.

a2. Clicking on a town will show all avail FMSs originated from that town... FMS information is displayed in point a1.

a3. Gets rid of multiple FMS requirements that are dependent on side/div/brig which brings more avail able supply to the front and lessens the problem of getting multiple successful FMSs in that are dependent on that brigades supply level only.

b. Mission posting is on the back end in the supply selection.

b1. While in the item selection window on the static spawn point you selected you will have 2 check boxes available to chose. One check box says [Mission], the second check box says [Target]

b2. Mission box can be checked. Mission is then broadcast which can be viewed in a posted missions fast action window or will be displayed when clicking on a town like the FMS with all the same information available as the FMS. YOU DO NOT have to post a target, mission defaults to originating static spawn point.

b3. Clicking on the target box pulls up the web map which defaults to a zoom level containing all linking towns including friendly towns, select as normal.

b4. Having a ML description in the orders that is displayed in the Missions fast action window things like 911 AB bunker can be seen outside of Side chat and town selection. Therefore the pb can get to any emergency or push mission ASAP.

2. Whats required

A. Getting rid of Brigade selection screen

B. Making all available supply visible regardless of side/dev/brig at any static spawn point or FMS  in the town.

C. Making all towns open up to town map via double click on large map and all static spawn points supply options open up on double click.

D. Adding 2 fast action windows, one for FMS and one for broadcasted Mission with above information mentioned available.

E. Mission posting rank requirements remain - however any noob can do the NO MISSION selection process.

Interesting post. I found navigating the mission-creation interface rather tricky recently, even as a player who'd played the game from 2001 to 2012 or thereabouts. I preferred the old yellow-truck icon to denote active UMS's. Where I think your idea runs into some trouble is that HC's will have more difficulty ascertaining which brigade - of several - they need to rotate out, if spawn-lists are linked to a town, rather than the brigade within.  (I assume HC's till have few if any tools to track this sort of thing?) Anything that makes accidents in this area more likely is a bad thing. It's many years since I was in an HC, but I remember how somewhat fraught things could get.

There is another wrinkle that you may not have considered: In the old days, spawn-lists existed in every town, and IIRC it wasn't necessary to make a mission as such to spawn there. With squads generally - but not always - being the impelling force in getting attacks going, this meant that if you played for that squad,  one generally snaffled all the  best kit before un-squadded players even knew what was afoot. This sounds good - but it probably hurt the uptake of the game by new players, and over the long term, that's bad. Similarly, the AO and Brigade system was brought in to deal with gameplay issues of "surprise attacks" - invariably little more than zerging - before defending players could possibly respond. CRS has to waste so much time dealing with that one rather than adding new content, it wasn't funny. It also gave far too much power to unaccountable squads who presented attacks as fait-accompli to the HC.

I think one feature that would be worthwhile is to allow "two-click spawnage" of infantry only in 2AB (and above) towns and cities. This would help combat the general silliness of moling, which does the game in general no great service. IMHO.

Perhaps we need to be "really careful what we wish for" in this regard? - There are compelling reasons why the game has  developed as it has, and all for improving the player experience, be he new, or established.

10 hours ago, fidd said:

Interesting post. I found navigating the mission-creation interface rather tricky recently, even as a player who'd played the game from 2001 to 2012 or thereabouts. I preferred the old yellow-truck icon to denote active UMS's. Where I think your idea runs into some trouble is that HC's will have more difficulty ascertaining which brigade - of several - they need to rotate out, if spawn-lists are linked to a town, rather than the brigade within.  (I assume HC's till have few if any tools to track this sort of thing?) Anything that makes accidents in this area more likely is a bad thing. It's many years since I was in an HC, but I remember how somewhat fraught things could get.

There is another wrinkle that you may not have considered: In the old days, spawn-lists existed in every town, and IIRC it wasn't necessary to make a mission as such to spawn there. With squads generally - but not always - being the impelling force in getting attacks going, this meant that if you played for that squad,  one generally snaffled all the  best kit before un-squadded players even knew what was afoot. This sounds good - but it probably hurt the uptake of the game by new players, and over the long term, that's bad. Similarly, the AO and Brigade system was brought in to deal with gameplay issues of "surprise attacks" - invariably little more than zerging - before defending players could possibly respond. CRS has to waste so much time dealing with that one rather than adding new content, it wasn't funny. It also gave far too much power to unaccountable squads who presented attacks as fait-accompli to the HC.

I think one feature that would be worthwhile is to allow "two-click spawnage" of infantry only in 2AB (and above) towns and cities. This would help combat the general silliness of moling, which does the game in general no great service. IMHO.

Perhaps we need to be "really careful what we wish for" in this regard? - There are compelling reasons why the game has  developed as it has, and all for improving the player experience, be he new, or established.

Let me clarify the Brigade - HC would see the Brigades as they do now and check tickets as they do now.  Its just that a town is a repository of supply - The static spawn point is just a window into that supply. It shows all the supply in the town, not just a window into a particular brigade. 

This is not a town centric supply pool but a TO&E brigade option.

The point of having a no mission option is simply so you can quickly move about the map - IE to combat moling, fast response to AB 911s or depots under cap, also spawnables during an attack. Simplifying the "what brigade is that in that town > find side > find division > find brigade > create mission > see supply> not what you want> back out> find other brigade in town> select spawn point > create mission> select item.

This also would help further reduce the number of missions that might have nothing to do with action.  Having a mission posted would be to funnel the troops into a location where action is ongoing or imminent.  Mission orders having a enemy activity level icon gauged by some mechanism that is not using some sort of ESP but amount of deaths happening in a radius of the FMS. Mission orders all visible at the on a single screen that has active FMSs only.  Then a screen that has all the active non-fms missions - things like  "Armor column forming", "Towing ATGs and AA" or even "911 AB under cap!!"  visible at mission select screen - helps people organize whats needed and who is doing what - the message is updated when the ML changes his objective header like we do with .orders. Having the ability to actively change your mission target while spawned in etc.. very nice way to fix your stupid target mistakes.

I think it would also help solve mixing of the same sides equipment and later open up the option when we go back to a AB based TC supply issues with reserving equipment and overstocking with mixed equipment.  Currently not a issue with the Axis but will be when the Italians enter.  The old TC overstocking problem back in the day with the allies is that in a multi linked town overstock was dependent on what Allied side had ownership of the town.  The Axis had a huge advantage of overstocking multi-linked towns faster and with more gear - where the allies could only do the same if the linking towns where all the same as the town being overstocked.  Meaning - no TO&E, no brigade ticket supply. Certainly the town ownership would determine which side got the ticket resupply - but any overstock from say the French to a Brit town would remain in the towns supply pool.  Any FMS sent from that town would have all the supply show up - however they would show up without a brigade tag (because brigades are gone) but show up as a French rifleman. 

One other bonus - this will also contribute by reducing the chances of HC town ownership determination being completely side bias.  If town ownership is spread out on the allied side with overstocking from any allied (later Italian) can and will be a great way to spread around each sides strengths.. IE Tanks with effective HE, 17pdrs and M10s and  Shermans into Brit held towns along with semi auto riflemen and zooks. Mg34s, StugGs Shrecks and Tigers into Italian owned towns etc..

This sounds familiar...

A few years ago there was some discussion about having differential mission rules for attack and defence...the idea was that "attack" missions would be structured so that players would gather in a mission lobby to fill defined roles then spawn together as a group

defenders on the other hand would have more latitude, with the freedom to spawn where and when they want so long as supply held out

Stankyus' " no mission" spawn sounds similar except for the additional onus on the attacking side to form into coherent groups before entering the game

The immediate issue with attackers "forming in a briefing room" is that it increases the likelihood of sudden organised attacks before a defender can react. At least with the current system the defender gets an EWS warning. I agree that better organisational tools are needed, particularly for ML's to have extra map tools, and HC's/OIC's to have still further ones. However, in my view attacks should succeed or fail on attrition, against a foe who has at least some time to react before the the town is "locked" by incoming armour/ATG's; not as a consequence of "getting the most in fastest".

I don't believe every attack's success should hinge on attrition.  'Getting their fastest with the mostest', given that it is a function of organization and teamwork (along with being a fundamental piece of wars in general) should be rewarded.  

As for the rest of the idea, I am interested if not sold, yet.

S!