budder8820

Indirect Arty Fire

16 posts in this topic

Pretty self-explanatory. Is there anything holding us back from doing this with the German 88...except some kind of coordinate, azimuth and ranging system?

Once the HE audit is complete this will be a possibility.  As it stands right now the HE round of pretty much any weapon in game needs an* *almost* direct impact to kill anything.

This is being addressed as I type this . My guess we will get an awesome X-Mas patch this year ,where most of us have to relearn the game,  to see what certain weapons can and can not do.

Edited by dre21

On 11.10.2017 at 2:17 AM, budder8820 said:

Pretty self-explanatory. Is there anything holding us back from doing this with the German 88...except some kind of coordinate, azimuth and ranging system?

infantry fades out at about 800m distance. then you cant see infantry units anymore. so bombing towns at 1k or higher => useless .. unless you go for tanks (which makes no sense too) or atgs/aa guns. only way to kill enemy infantry then is to blow up the building they are in. but it works for friendly kills too.

right now the 88 and Tiger shells are kinda useless vs. infantry. most HE shells are extremely poor vs. infantry. the blast range of those shells is like 2m ... try shooting an EI hiding inside a fru bunker. he can just sit around the corner and laugh about your Tiger shooting it

On 10/10/2017 at 8:17 PM, budder8820 said:

The real answer to your question is

STO (server tracked object)
for indirect fire, like mortars, the rounds have to become a server tracked rather than a client tracked object after firing.

And STO ordnance is fired, you tell the server what you fired, angle velocity etc, the server takes it from there, the server knows EVERYONE in the impact area, not just who you may or may not see, it alerts those units that XX type of ammunition has just hit at X/Y coordinate and then i believe instructs those units to perform the calcs on themselves since all units know how to calculate an HE explosion given its impact coordinates.

This is how mortars work, hopefully will be how bombs work soon, and will have to be how indirect artillery works

14 minutes ago, undercova said:

right now the 88 and Tiger shells are kinda useless vs. infantry. most HE shells are extremely poor vs. infantry. the blast range of those shells is like 2m ... try shooting an EI hiding inside a fru bunker. he can just sit around the corner and laugh about your Tiger shooting it

Unless you happen to actually be sitting there laughing, then the game faeries decide to screw up your day and hit you with the freak fatal frag round.
So never ever laugh

1 person likes this

On 10/10/2017 at 8:17 PM, budder8820 said:

Aside from game mechanics, the Flak/Pak 88 isn't designed for indirect fire. It was originally intended for high altitude anti-aircraft work, if was found later on that the high velocities required for that task also made it a fantastic anti-tank gun. Those very same high velocities are what make it a bad choice for indirect fire. What you want is a LeFH 18.

1 person likes this

54 minutes ago, muromachi said:

Aside from game mechanics, the Flak/Pak 88 isn't designed for indirect fire. It was originally intended for high altitude anti-aircraft work, if was found later on that the high velocities required for that task also made it a fantastic anti-tank gun. Those very same high velocities are what make it a bad choice for indirect fire. What you want is a LeFH 18.

Hush, if he wants to lob 88 shells at me over the other side of the hill that's ok with me
:D

1 person likes this

Some time ago was suggestions to add heavy mortars to game. They would be manned by AI, but would be controlled by HC (or who would be in charge of defence a city). Due some circumstances they wouldn't have pinpoint fire. This might be to at some extent a indirect fire. Until we will see a true artilllery.

The logical choice for the British is the 25 pdr, which has some modest direct-fire AT capability relative to the 88. Having a much lower velocity, and superb gun-laying sights, it had both a very high rate of fire, and considerable accuracy for indirect-fire. The 88 was far less effective in the indirect-fire role, however in certain circumstances, such as firing at troops in woodland, where contact or timed fuses resulted in air-bursts, (see Band of Brothers) it could be very effective indeed. It would be cool if the HE model took into account airburst fuses/tree (and other object) strikes.

For the US and French, I suppose a 105mm would do?

Edited by fidd

Triads should be type for type. The allies should get a heavy AA gun and the Axis should not be saddled with the 88 as an indirect fire weapon. (seriously?)

24 minutes ago, muromachi said:

Triads should be type for type. The allies should get a heavy AA gun and the Axis should not be saddled with the 88 as an indirect fire weapon. (seriously?)

88 will never be an optimal indirect fire role (Unless we are shooting 30 miles away maybe)
No one on CRS side is going to leave axis stuck with using the 88 as their low velocity grapefruit lobber.

Also, the 88 is not optimal HE, the shell walls are too thick to sustain the force when it fires, that reduces HE content of the shell
Same reason the 75mm sherman walks all over the 76mm sherman in terms of HE performance.

Axis have plenty of nice simple field guns for shelling fun, i am sure a suitable one will be chosen

It's worth remembering that the various armies were built on different philosophies, with both French and British heavily reliant on artillery pieces, whereas the Germans went for limited amounts (relatively speaking) of SP artillery chiefly in the direct-fire role, with some Divisional artillery, augmented by Stukas. A strict introduction of "triads" of similar types is not always helpful, or indeed necessarily balanced.  French artillery was both very numerous, and highly capable. Where it was weak was in mobility. The bulk of the German artillery was similar, being largely horse-drawn. British artillery was not well endowed with heavy pieces (in France), but was both numerous and mobile, and more highly trained than either French or German arms.

Personally I think the game is more interesting if these slight differences are in game, rather than adhering to a strict "triad" principle.

1 person likes this

Yes, by indirect fire...I'm referring to long distance. So in other words, you would be able to create fire missions from 30 - 50km away from an objective. I'm not referring to being on top of a hill over looking a town. I'm talking about being in the next town over or even a town behind the main line.

This would mean team work would be required between spotting and arty teams. To get zeroed in on targets.