gavalink

Will lag get any better?

21 posts in this topic

I posted this question in July and got no answer. Is this as good as it gets? (i.e. lag kills, unkillable enemy, rendering etc.). I'd like to hear from CRS on this subject other than the usual lip service. I'd like some specifics and a timetable. My sub is up in 8 days and I can't see paying for the game in its current state. Lag is THE issue. 

1 person likes this

It just got a tad better for me. I spent $600 on a new modem and router and increased my internet to a 1G plan.  I Never expect much help from CRS. lol 

Edited by lipton

44 minutes ago, gavalink said:

I posted this question in July and got no answer. Is this as good as it gets? (i.e. lag kills, unkillable enemy, rendering etc.). I'd like to hear from CRS on this subject other than the usual lip service. I'd like some specifics and a timetable. My sub is up in 8 days and I can't see paying for the game in its current state. Lag is THE issue. 

Despite their efforts to reduce the lag, at least in a crowded area with few engines, this is with TOEs their Achilles's Heel.

Lag is always gonna be an issue in an MMO with players all over the world.  

Every method to reduce one type of lag is going to have a trade off in another area.

You may want the person who literally fires first in real life to be the one who wins.  No simukills, not waiting 1 second to see the other person fall over dead, etc.  However, what if you're the person further from the server and so you're getting all world data last?  That'll up your rate of unkillable EIs because they'll be shooting you first before you even know that they're there.  

there was a beta where lag was gone. it was incredible even better than COD, Halo, or any other FPS.

it was as good as a single player game.

no idea why it's not in game

8 minutes ago, major0noob said:

there was a beta where lag was gone. it was incredible even better than COD, Halo, or any other FPS.

What you just said is impossible.  

When i first started playing this game 9 years ago the lag was no where as bad as it is today- It seemed to get worse a few years ago and nothing seems to be making it better.

I will just live with it until the point that i can't take it any more then I will be in the same boat- do i quit or not.  I pay by the month so i can make that decision anytime.

So is it going to get better- really I don't think so.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, blakeh said:

When i first started playing this game 9 years ago the lag was no where as bad as it is today- It seemed to get worse a few years ago and nothing seems to be making it better.

I will just live with it until the point that i can't take it any more then I will be in the same boat- do i quit or not.  I pay by the month so i can make that decision anytime.

So is it going to get better- really I don't think so.

It's something on the server end. I still have an old video from 2010 during an axis squad night where 100+ players are pouring in to an AB that is being defended. There's a bunch of action and chaos but little packet loss, and none of the bizarre warping that you see now. It also used to be that friendly units would disappear during every main battle on squad night and it was no big deal. It was only really annoying when enemies began to disappear and even then only for the AA gunners. Now all kinds of rendering issues during large battles and even not-so-large battles.

Around 2012 CRS did something (if I remember correctly it was 1.34), broke their rendering engine and probably more stuff that players didn't notice. They patched things up but if it required rebuilding a host from scratch or especially reverse-engineering anything then that would explain things.

19 hours ago, major0noob said:

Well maybe it wasn't quite THAT awesome, but he's right. The lag was much much better for a while. Then, it reappeared. 

On 10/11/2017 at 3:16 PM, gavalink said:

You're asking for something I cannot deliver on (specifics and timetable), though I do understand your frustration. Of course these issues (it's not just a single point of failure) are concerning. One thing we have been considering is, if someones connection gets so bad and goes into some vicious compounding cycle, perhaps we can despawn that individual so it recalibrate's the player individually and reduces the negative effects on everyone else.

By going onto Steam we opened up a big can of new variables as it relates to many different use-cases (connection types, hardware types, etc). This month we're very focused on production because we have a back log of items that need completing, you can find out more in our Friday update I posted last week here: https://www.wwiionline.com/game-news/development-notes/production-incoming-fixes-and-features

All I can say is stay patient, we're still a small team with limited resources, those factors haven't changed, and we are still doing the best we can with the tough set of cards we have. That's really all I can say right now.

48 minutes ago, major0noob said:

well they did it, and it was amazing

There was some 1.31 beta that seemed really good for awhile. Although the hardware was different then, and I wasn't sure if they ever put 128+ players in to a small area before they made changes. For reference the best Planetside 2's servers can do is around 250ms. So for that game it's 250ms server latency plus the latency of the client. But separate from lag is the movement tracking/prediction which is far worse in this game despite infantry movement being more sluggish. Some larger battles are unplayable with a bolt-action rifle.

4 hours ago, major0noob said:

well they did it, and it was amazing

No, there is no way that a game in which people play tens of thousands of kms from the server had better lag than games like COD where people play with like 20ms pings.  

I'm afraid its something worse than lag ...packets are being dropped or an action is not being noted by the server

IE ...pump 2 rounds into a prone rifleman ...nothing, run around behind the dude and pump 2 more rounds point blank ...nothing.

Pop off another round at point blank range and the enemy finally dies ..time elapsed ~11 secs

Earlier, same town, server was responding really good ...BTW, I live north of Houston, cable connection, my lag shouldn't be worth mentioning.

Edited by ropo

It's actually the folks with the better connections who are going to have the most problems.  The guys with the slower connections will always be invulnerable for a bit.  When they get shot, it takes a while for the information to be sent to the server, processed, then sent to their computer.  Only THEN is it processed by their client.  When that process is finally complete, their computer FINALLY knows they've been shot and they do the death animation.  Then, that information (the death animation and scream if any) is transmitted back to the server, then back to the first player's computer, where it is only then rendered onto the screen of the player with the better connection, the shooter.

Basically, until YOUR computer knows you've been shot, you don't die.  If you have a slower connection and slower computer, you will always be the last one to know.

-Irish

Being killed before enemy is even rendering, like when entering a CP building, is a cold shower on my fun.

Lag is terrible but worst are the guys that are invincible in campaign 142 I encounter so many invincible players... the game is lacking mechanism to force the killing of players that are refusing to accept server or other players tokens/packages saying they are being hit and/or killed.

Edited by pbveteran

People need to learn how to stop programs and task in task manager.

Most people have a bunch of extra programs running in background and have no clue.

Wireless printer spooler, adobe upload blah blah, you sekrets pron site.. extra stuff slows u down.

Make sure you antivirus isn't running or windows update will really lag you out.

Update your video card to newest driver.

Try Setting WW2 at preferences at best performance.

You can easily test your connection speed at various sites online - comcastic has one

My corded mouse also seems faster than wireless..maybe I have a pos mouse.

Blow the small kitty of dust and fur out you cpu fans and video card..makes big dif.

Take side off walk to garage start compressor - apply - or big can of air.

Also blow out your power supply fan.

Cable connection to cpu also seems/is faster than wifi. Buy a cat5 cord plug straight into modem/router

These are all good ideas from preventing horribad KEYBOARD SMASHY.

So take some tips from THE NILY5000 and do a little maintence save yourself a keyboard.

Your Welcome  in Advance.

The Nily5000

please send a check for 19.95 plus s/h for the next 12 chapter of BALANCE

LIES

S!

15 minutes ago, nily5000 said:

People need to learn how to stop programs and task in task manager.

I play on a potato, and dont really have any issues.
I highly doubt any of that is going to make any difference for people's much better than mine PC's, and definitely wont help when the guy 10 people are shooting takes 68 seconds to realize he has died.

If you are experiencing a lot of issues with lag in game, or you see players zipping all over leave light lines and smoke everywhere, go into preferences and disable netcode3. It's helped a lot for me. Restarting your game client after a few hours play can help (sometimes), but after longer periods of play I will restart my computer just to freshen things up.

Also, take a look at either AVG or AVAST anti virus, they both have options for activating "Gaming Mode", which automatically stops programs and clears the way for much cleaner and faster game play.

Edited by wstriker

Its usually a case of 99% of the people on the battlefield move and react fine, and then you get 1 or 2 guys who defy physics and death.

If everything is acting wonky, its you. If only a couple guys are acting wonky, it's them