ohioguy419

Increase Speed of a Swimmer in Water

15 posts in this topic

Honestly, the swimming speed could be a little faster... it takes like 10 minutes sometimes especially when ur near enemy and want to go left or right to avoid detection, and hey why not add the feature of UNDERWATER swimming... just an idea!

1 person likes this

Yeah, but boy is it fun to hide in a bush and wait until someone is 90% of the way across and then walk up to the edge and type something in area chat and imagine the bitter disappointment on the other end.

Hopefully they introduce pontoon bridges engineers can build.  

1 person likes this

To be fair, being able to swim at all with a ton of gear on your back is quite fortunate. A standard rifleman has his rifle, nineteen reload clips, four frag grenades, two smoke grenades, a combat knife, a demo charge, a pair of binoculars, and a shovel. Though I do agree that swimming should be sped up, at least just a little.

5 hours ago, ohioguy419 said:

and hey why not add the feature of UNDERWATER swimming... just an idea!

You go under water with a combat pack, boots, rifle, ammo, grenades, etc you aint coming back up, your wife is getting a letter from the war department

3 people like this

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:37 AM, merlin51 said:

You go under water with a combat pack, boots, rifle, ammo, grenades, etc you aint coming back up, your wife is getting a letter from the war department

Just so. If it could be done, mobile PPO objects from engineers, in the form of rubber-boats, might be the way to go, or, as others suggest provision of a pontoon bridge. The latter is difficult though , as the height of river-banks in game would make it rather odd-looking.

Water should be an obstacle.  I vote for drowning if you go into the drink.  We need engineers to place PPO pontoon bridges and maybe rubber boats to paddle across in.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, arno said:

Water should be an obstacle.  I vote for drowning if you go into the drink.

While in theory i do agree, i vote no due to game play concessions
slow arse swimming is seen as an amalgam of other things that would be done but that can not at this time be visualized in the game.

(pontoon bridges may be doable, maybe deployable from trucks? Maybe need new heavy engineering truck? Seems a wee bit far fetched to deploy from an engineer
unless it's in little sections requiring many engineers?)

22 hours ago, merlin51 said:

While in theory i do agree, i vote no due to game play concessions
slow arse swimming is seen as an amalgam of other things that would be done but that can not at this time be visualized in the game.

(pontoon bridges may be doable, maybe deployable from trucks? Maybe need new heavy engineering truck? Seems a wee bit far fetched to deploy from an engineer
unless it's in little sections requiring many engineers?)

Maybe an engineer and a truck.

Agree that swimming is unrealistic. It doesn't adequately "stand in" for anything. It should be removed.

Add a generic assault boat trailer to all armies.  One deployed close enough to a water-edge creates a spawn point for 2-3 rubber boats. The trailer disappears when it has no boats left or upon taking too much damage. A boat appears at water's edge closest to the trailer after eight infantrymen have hit the J (join) key while proximal to the trailer. The boat model has eight rowers, four per side. No weapon use from the boat, but players on it can look around from an arbitrary eye point on one side or the other of the boat. The boat/rowers model has a very low damage threshold, i.e. eight bullets or fragments or one larger ordnance is eight kills and a destroyed boat. And, such boats are slow.

In return for the fragility and slowness, and the greater degree of difficulty in use, successful landing of such a boat creates a limited spawn and re-arm point on the shore where the boat lands.

Increase speed that a swimmer drowns in water.

Edited by forrest

On 11/1/2017 at 2:22 PM, imded said:

Maybe an engineer and a truck.

That is kind of a neat idea.
sections of pontoon can only attach to land or connection plates, so truck deploys 1st section but can not place 2nd because section can not connect to section, so engies go out on the section and put in connection plates, then truck lays next section, rinse and repeat?

On 10/31/2017 at 3:26 PM, arno said:

Water should be an obstacle.  I vote for drowning if you go into the drink.  We need engineers to place PPO pontoon bridges and maybe rubber boats to paddle across in.

Hi,

There was talk from CRS about an engineering truck and place-able pontoon bridges. The truck would also most likely be able to fix a tracked tank. It could even serve as the vehicle that places FBs in the future. Plus a proximity boost for all engineering activities. All coming SOON... I don't doubt that CRS wants to get there. It's just a matter of time and the games survive-ability. As with all things, time will tell.

S!

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, stonecomet said:

Hi,

There was talk from CRS about an engineering truck and place-able pontoon bridges. The truck would also most likely be able to fix a tracked tank. It could even serve as the vehicle that places FBs in the future. Plus a proximity boost for all engineering activities. All coming SOON... I don't doubt that CRS wants to get there. It's just a matter of time and the games survive-ability. As with all things, time will tell.

S!

I don't think we'll see this. There's virtually no way a pontoon-bridge can be made to appear realistic - ie low to the water - without an unbelievable gradient from the universally high river-banks we have. Rubber-boats - maybe, pontoons probably not. Bailey Bridges might be possible, but not very realistic as although they could be built quickly for what there were, they still took hours and days to assemble. If ever the terrain gets redone, then lower river-banks, or at least very variable height ones, and the ability to dig into the ground, would be two worthy additions.

2 minutes ago, fidd said:

from the universally high river-banks we have.

those can be changed, they were not always like this.

One reason they were changed was to confront the instant infantry MSP that would appear across blown bridges making the invading army magically spawn across an obstacle.
That no longer happens, worst you could have now and a FM gets cut off after the fact, and if you take it down, it can not come back and any infantry coming in would have to swim where you can shoot them at your leisure.

Yes it does mean a terrain editing session, but it is doable, dont rule it out.