Ltarflak

AA GUNS, PLEASE LOOK CRS!!!

31 posts in this topic

please add multi barreled AA guns for the axis, examples: Whirbelwind, ostwind, the quad 20 ( it could be deployed the same as the regular 20mm in the game, but just with 4 barrels), dual 20mm's ties back with the quad 20        PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ADD IT!!!     picture this, the planes get to shoot at us with up too 12-6 barrels, we get one....  not to mention bombs.   Here's a list of AA guns for each faction:     AXIS: whirbelwind, ostwind, dual and quad 20mm's, Gebirgsflak 38, 3.7 cm Flak M42, 5 cm FlaK 41, Flakpanzer 38(t), and the Solothurn ST-5.

ALLIED: 20 mm Polsten, 37 mm Gun M1, 90 mm Gun M1/M2/M3, 120 mm M1 gun, M45 Quadmount, QF 3-inch 20 cwt, QF 3.7-inch AA gun, Vickers Model 1931, Canon de 75 CA modèle 1940 Schneider, Canon de 75 antiaérien mle 1913-1917 and finally the Canon de 90 mm Modèle 1926.

Good luck, they can't even get the bastardized self propelled flak out the door and those are just mashed together existing models lol

This needs to be at the very top of CRS’ development list for new vehicles though. Every other unit in game has a tier system except for AA guns. Multi barreled AA guns are long over due. 

3 people like this

5 minutes ago, saronin said:

This needs to be at the very top of CRS’ development list for new vehicles though. Every other unit in game has a tier system except for AA guns. Multi barreled AA guns are long over due. 

They don't want to scare away the lawn mower arcade players with having effective ground to air defenses. 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Mosizlak said:

They don't want to scare away the lawn mower arcade players with having effective ground to air defenses. 

They allow you to login, which makes that statement not true.

Axis gets a new 88 model...which looks pretty sweet.  However, I agree an overhaul for the AA system on both sides is needed. But I think it takes a backseat - there's other stuff they need to work on first.

New 88MM model (1)

14 hours ago, bmw2 said:

Axis gets a new 88 model...which looks pretty sweet.  However, I agree an overhaul for the AA system on both sides is needed. But I think it takes a backseat - there's other stuff they need to work on first.

New 88MM model (1)

The issue is that it always takes a back seat. That’s how we got to where we are now with no AA guns after tier 0. Every other combat unit in game gets upgraded through the tier. 

1 person likes this

The lawn mower EA will need to face better light AA.  In light of the HE audits the bombers will be forced higher up.. SPAA good for that.  However ALSO in light of the new HE audits the crew of the SPAA will die easier and all the AA will die easier... Enter the tank busters, they will have to get low and dirty - multi barreled AA light AA guns are best for that. I think they would be rather essential.

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, bmw2 said:

New 88MM model (1)

Its upgraded artwork only - which was far easier to do than coding a whole new model. AND yes it looks much much better now.  HOWEVER its out of scale, its much larger in the game than it was in RL.

maxresdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, stankyus said:

Its upgraded artwork only - which was far easier to do than coding a whole new model. AND yes it looks much much better now.  HOWEVER its out of scale, its much larger in the game than it was in RL.

Think it may just be view perspective?  Have to wait to do a physical walk around.

1455156320_flak36.jpg

kruse_flak36_01.jpg

kruse_flak36_18.jpg

5 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

Think it may just be view perspective?  Have to wait to do a physical walk around.

1455156320_flak36.jpg

kruse_flak36_01.jpg

kruse_flak36_18.jpg

Its not the perspective. I live in a world of perspectives and scale as a environmental designer in a architectural firm. There are many clues that tell me its much larger in the game than in RL. For one I have personally been around many 88s, sat in their gunners seats etc. Its not a very big gun in RL so I have real life experience.  Some clues that are easy to spot - the lower recoil pistons in the game are higher than they should be in relationship to the crew. The breach pivot in RL is shoulder height, in this game its above their heads. Either that or the infantry in the game are really short.  It really does not matter to me - I play allied and a bigger gun is a easier target. Besides the point of my post was that the reworked 88 is nothing like making a completely new model like the quad 20s and coding them. This  This probably took a fraction of the time than it would to do a new multi-barreled AA gun.  However this is new artwork on the 88 and its to bad they did not scale it down to its proper size in the process.

51 minutes ago, stankyus said:

Besides the point of my post was that the reworked 88 is nothing like making a completely new model like the quad 20s and coding them.

er apples and oranges?
88 in game is not an AAA weapon.
Has no flak rounds with adjustable alt detonators, and no altitude computer.
It is just part of a redoing of very old models project.

SPAA and AAA is a different project?
Maybe i missed something?

1 hour ago, stankyus said:

Its not the perspective. I live in a world of perspectives and scale as a environmental designer in a architectural firm. There are many clues that tell me its much larger in the game than in RL.

Maybe it is just me but i am not finding the 88 very large in game.
About the only thing that i can say feels a bit off is the base mount may be a tiny bit too tall, gun should perhaps sit a bit lower, i think the seat level seems about right?

Ignoring the super simplified model required in 2001
Overall size seems ok?
5p3S56C.png

This is as close as i can get on top of the gun with an infantry
63shdAd.png

Perhaps just lower the mounting a bit?
Vehicle dimensions i know are supposed to be all done at a certain scale, i am not sure if infantry follow that exactly or not?
But you can see that if i could get up to the same level as the gunner, if we shaved the mount down just a wee bit, it would hit shoulder level.

Or, possibly.... Infantry are too little.
Hehe i'll go with scaling infantry up some, easier to shoot EI :) 
9Fwzmkn.png

10 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

er apples and oranges?
88 in game is not an AAA weapon.
Has no flak rounds with adjustable alt detonators, and no altitude computer.
It is just part of a redoing of very old models project.

SPAA and AAA is a different project?
Maybe i missed something?

Maybe it is just me but i am not finding the 88 very large in game.
About the only thing that i can say feels a bit off is the base mount may be a tiny bit too tall, gun should perhaps sit a bit lower, i think the seat level seems about right?

Ignoring the super simplified model required in 2001
Overall size seems ok?
5p3S56C.png

This is as close as i can get on top of the gun with an infantry
63shdAd.png

Perhaps just lower the mounting a bit?
Vehicle dimensions i know are supposed to be all done at a certain scale, i am not sure if infantry follow that exactly or not?
But you can see that if i could get up to the same level as the gunner, if we shaved the mount down just a wee bit, it would hit shoulder level.

Or, possibly.... Infantry are too little.
Hehe i'll go with scaling infantry up some, easier to shoot EI :) 
9Fwzmkn.png

I was just saying that the remodel work on the 88 probably did not take much time where the quad flak guns would take a long time to do. It was a statement meaning that  the rework would not have impacted any new flak.  Not a this is a flak gun, that's a flak gun thing. Its a woot, good looking model and doing it did not impact doing new stuff and if it did it would have been a fraction of the time thing.

The 88 stood at 6'11" deployed in firing position. If the average height of a man in this game is 6' tall, the 88 is towering over him and your photos prove that the gun is much larger in the game than it was in RL.  EITHER that or the average infantry model in this game is 4' tall.

2 minutes ago, stankyus said:

I was just saying that the remodel work on the 88 probably did not take much time where the quad flak guns would take a long time to do. It was a statement meaning that  the rework would not have impacted any new flak.  Not a this is a flak gun, that's a flak gun thing. Its a woot, good looking model and doing it did not impact doing new stuff and if it did it would have been a fraction of the time thing.

The 88 stood at 6'11" deployed in firing position. If the average height of a man in this game is 6' tall, the 88 is towering over him and your photos prove that the gun is much larger in the game than it was in RL.  EITHER that or the average infantry model in this game is 4' tall.

Fighting Dwarfs FTW. 

2 people like this

9 minutes ago, saronin said:

Fighting Dwarfs FTW. 

I would think the gun being smaller would be a good thing for the Axis.. harder to spot, harder to hit. Its too bad the remodeling did not correct it. This is not the first time its been pointed out btw.

If we are dwarfs, I want my battle axe and hammer.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, stankyus said:

I was just saying that the remodel work on the 88 probably did not take much time where the quad flak guns would take a long time to do.

Oh, yea kind of, one is only art and animation, the other is that plus all the programming and data.

2 hours ago, stankyus said:

If the average height of a man in this game is 6' tall

I think 5'6" or 5'7"  that was around ave height in 1939?
But i dont know honestly, one of the art guys or something would have to answer that.

Also realize that the 88 is some distance off the ground
I suppose for non clipping reasons? Or the old model is just funky? Or it bugged when i deployed it?
I just know you can crawl under the tires nearly. Wonder does it always do that.. hmmm

You would have to ask one of the art guys about the scale though.
The only place i know of that scale was discussed is on a forum long gone and all those threads are lost to us.

Put the 88 by some vehicles of known dimensions, that might be a better way to see.
Maybe infantry are dwarven stock?

If something is off terribly, im thinking rescaling a model isn't too horribly hard?

6 hours ago, stankyus said:

The lawn mower EA will need to face better light AA.  In light of the HE audits the bombers will be forced higher up.. SPAA good for that.  However ALSO in light of the new HE audits the crew of the SPAA will die easier and all the AA will die easier... Enter the tank busters, they will have to get low and dirty - multi barreled AA light AA guns are best for that. I think they would be rather essential.

the HE audit doeskin cover that, that is kinetic 

22 hours ago, bmw2 said:

New 88MM model (1)

where did you get this pic? 

The infantryman model is 6'2" tall, if I correctly recall the discussions we had on that question back in the Design Forums. That's about 12% too large compared to historical average German/British/French young adult male heights in 1940.

Try fitting this many infantry models onto the underlying vehicle models:

panzer104.jpg

HD-SN-99-02892.jpg

tropasen232.jpg

Whatever defenses may have been offered in the past, it's clear that the model scale relationships are goofed up.

5 hours ago, jwilly said:

The infantryman model is 6'2" tall

On what scale i wonder?
He does not seem 6'2" when i look at him near anything in the game be it vehicle or buildings or misc stuff.

5 hours ago, jwilly said:

Try fitting this many infantry models onto the underlying vehicle models:

Cant, not enough seats :(

IIRC, that's why Gophur and Toto told us the model was designed to, per the measuring capability in their graphics tools. 

OTOH, obviously there are inconsistencies somewhere.

the infantry model is about 10% too tall/large, and the 88 is too large overall.

If they shrunk it down 15%, then the Auxiliary Allied Lawnmower Air Brigade, (the ALAB,) wouldn't have easy access to taking out ATGs.

Those poor ALAB pilots... What will they DO?!?