TuftyFoil

Map Expanison Idea * Please take the Poll

In favor of Map expansion   15 members have voted

1. 1. Those in favor of expanding map vote yea those not vote nay

• Yea
    • Nay

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 posts in this topic

Yes, I know this has been talked about before but I my suggestion is more of a question. What does the community and I have to do to  get the developers to add more towns? Surely if there is a will there is a way

I think the payer base will stay subscribed longer because they we want to check out the new towns they've never been to especially ones they've heard so much about like Rotterdam and London. 

By expanding  the map on the coast of England and the Netherland it should make for a great place to amphibiously land such as the iconic D-Day. Amphibious landing on the coast would be really great and could surpass paratroopers in popularity if done right.

Edited by tylerab
1 person likes this

I have of a number of towns with port construction I'd like to see:

Add AB to Den Haag
Add town link from Staven to Brouwer
Move Kiel to correct location
Make Kiel deep water port and add AB
Add deep water port Den Helder with AB
Add deep water port Wilhshaven with AB
Add deep water port Haugesund with AB
Fix Vliss AI Shore batteries to also fire E
Add deep water port Kristiansand with AB
Add deep water port Horten with AB
Make Brest deep water port with AB
Add Cherbourg deep water port with AB

We are certainly long overdue for some map expansion, as it used to be a regular part of the development process.

However, as of right now, CRS has stated that they do not have the necessary expertise and tools to do anything terrain-related.  This obviously includes any kind of map expansion :(

1 hour ago, Capco said:

However, as of right now, CRS has stated that they do not have the necessary expertise and tools to do anything terrain-related.  This obviously includes any kind of map expansion

Time...

They know how i am sure, and the terrain tool set works, don't think anything in the aspect has changed since last use?
It's hideously time consuming, if it was only visually making them, i imagine it would only be less than half as time consuming.
Add 1 new town, means editing as many existing towns that would have links to it, adding those CP buildings.

Then all the links and stuff that make the town work need coded in, for every town.

You would really need one person, that you lock in a closet and leave alone who does nothing at all but terrain generation all day every day.
maybe push diet soda and stale pizza under the door, and get someone to swap out the chamber pot.
But seriously, you'd need a person that can not be used for any other tasks.

Another thing that slows that down is we do try to have our towns be at least some facsimile of their 1940 counterparts.
At least the town proper, i think we all realize our towns are not including the surrounding and ancillary areas and fine detail.
That kind of kills off using a bunch of cut N paste templates to quickly generate towns and adds a lot of research time to doing each town.

13 hours ago, merlin51 said:

Time...

They know how i am sure, and the terrain tool set works, don't think anything in the aspect has changed since last use?
It's hideously time consuming, if it was only visually making them, i imagine it would only be less than half as time consuming.
Add 1 new town, means editing as many existing towns that would have links to it, adding those CP buildings.

Then all the links and stuff that make the town work need coded in, for every town.

You would really need one person, that you lock in a closet and leave alone who does nothing at all but terrain generation all day every day.
maybe push diet soda and stale pizza under the door, and get someone to swap out the chamber pot.
But seriously, you'd need a person that can not be used for any other tasks.

Another thing that slows that down is we do try to have our towns be at least some facsimile of their 1940 counterparts.
At least the town proper, i think we all realize our towns are not including the surrounding and ancillary areas and fine detail.
That kind of kills off using a bunch of cut N paste templates to quickly generate towns and adds a lot of research time to doing each town.

I think it would be reasonable if CRS made just 1 town once a month. I think volunteers could be used in researching the historical terrian and everthing and a professional coder could spend 160 hours (40 a  week) turning the research into a real town.  I think I'm overestimating the time it would take to code a small town with 3 or 4 depots an ab a city and 2 dozen other build of which only a person can actual go in but I think it would be a reasonable goal to do so.

8 hours ago, tylerab said:

I think it would be reasonable if CRS made just 1 town once a month. I think volunteers could be used in researching the historical terrian and everthing and a professional coder could spend 160 hours (40 a  week) turning the research into a real town.  I think I'm overestimating the time it would take to code a small town with 3 or 4 depots an ab a city and 2 dozen other build of which only a person can actual go in but I think it would be a reasonable goal to do so.

For each existing town it links to, that is another town that needs redone in 3d modeling and coding

5 hours ago, merlin51 said:

For each existing town it links to, that is another town that needs redone in 3d modeling and coding

This. In particular, one of my biggest gripes is that there are still buildings without interiors. We can't sell on graphics, so we're going to have to sell on comprehensiveness.

37 minutes ago, muromachi said:

This. In particular, one of my biggest gripes is that there are still buildings without interiors. We can't sell on graphics, so we're going to have to sell on comprehensiveness.

When you die because you are stuck on the couch........

8 hours ago, merlin51 said:

When you die because you are stuck on the couch........

So long as I die comfortable, there are no regrets.

22 hours ago, merlin51 said:

If you make the towns have several block footprints. And have several layouts per block. Then when the map gets reset, it randomly picks from supplies that fit that block. Each block would have 4 separate building layouts. So, if you have a small town and it only has 3 footprint layouts for that town. Can you imagine the amount of different ways that town would look. AND, the ABs would be a separate block(s) also with at least 3 diff. designs. Inside each design that requires a CP, it would lock at the linking towns and supply what is needed.

You would need some standardizations for the town footprint.

Now, with that said. You could add new towns to the map with greater ease.

Need more stuff between towns too. Farms, hamlets, villages, etc. Chickens, pigs, goats, horses.

In town buildings, need more obstacles, furniture. etc.

All buildings should be destroyable and not just by bombs and charges. Tanks and guns using HE did some good damage back in the day. Maybe have 3 levels of destruction. Also, everything that can be blown up, should be able to be repaired, including the FB.

28 minutes ago, imded said:

If you make the towns have several block footprints.

You realize though that the towns are modeled after their real counterparts
as close as can be done within the limitations of the game engine etc.
They aren't just random generic towns

I do think it would greatly improve the game if there were farms and small villages (can be used as forward bases) in between some/ most of the towns.

Edited by TuftyFoil
1 person likes this

19 hours ago, TuftyFoil said:

I do think it would greatly improve the game if there were farms and small villages (can be used as forward bases) in between some/ most of the towns.

This, I think, is a far, far better idea. If we can lose more bushes-without-colliders as part of the process, I'd be especially pleased.

2 minutes ago, fidd said:

If we can lose more bushes-without-colliders as part of the process, I'd be especially pleased.

We had those before, nobody liked them much
The bushes were absolute colliders, you could not pass through them with a tank.
Why you want those back?

I've been out of the game for many years, and the "bushes with colliders" are not something I've ever seen.  If it was indeed the case that no tank could cross them, that would seem almost as daft as having them without colliders at all, so I can quite understand why they weren't popular. However, it has always seemed to me to be the height of silliness that a hedge of apparent 10-12 feet height could be crossable, at speed by wheeled vehicles, let alone tracked one. Given the limitations of the terrain, for my money I'd add strips of whatever is used to give poor off-road speed in cities, along the lines of "bush-tunnels" with intermittent colliders so that attempting to cross these lines at speed becomes a risky proposition, whatever your transport. More or less the same functionality as road-side berms, but tied to the existence of hedge-lines, rather than without regard. By the same token, crossing such hedgelines should bugger the stamina of infantry imho.

Expanding the map is not a bad idea. But as in the past map expansions other issues that needed attention didn't get taken care of ahead of the expansions. For example, we still stick through walls which exposes positions, satchels still disappear inside some tank positions when placed. Small things for sure, yet the small details are also important. The FPS resolution took years and we lost a lot of players because of it,  while the players were given trinkets of maps and equipment to mollify the discontent as we were floating in the air and falling through the ground. IMHO, fix what is broken first, then expand other things.

zimm out