• Announcements

• BLKHWK8

Squad vs Squad Battle for Notre Dame Postponed   08/03/2018

The event for this weekend will be postponed... We have not been able to get a solid commitment to run the event. I will be posting a poll to select a better date and time. Poll:    Welcome back our Squad vs Squad events. Please check out the forum post here   
Mosizlak

Char B1 Bis: Inside the Chieftan's Hatch

15 posts in this topic

I didn't know the bit about the Naeder steering system oil substitution issue. He didn't note though that, if the system hadn't been leaky, and if the French logistics system hadn't been awful, there would have been no reason for tank crews to be scrounging castor oil in the field.

He also didn't note the poor design choice of fixed aim for the hull machine gun.

8 hours ago, jwilly said:

He also didn't note the poor design choice of fixed aim for the hull machine gun.

Seriously though.  I'm pretty sure I've ran over more EI in a Char than I've killed with the hull MG lol.  

13 hours ago, jwilly said:

I didn't know the bit about the Naeder steering system oil substitution issue. He didn't note though that, if the system hadn't been leaky, and if the French logistics system hadn't been awful, there would have been no reason for tank crews to be scrounging castor oil in the field.

He'll most likely get to the hull MG in part 2 when he does the inside of the tank. He's pretty thorough. 

14 hours ago, jwilly said:

I don't know that i would go as far as to call the system crappy and leaky
It held very well for the materials and manufacturing ability available at the time, there is a lot of pressure and stress on that system.
But it eliminated the issues that you see in a StuG, limited traverse and having to relay needs to the driver who has much cruder steering mechanisms to work with.
The driver can gun and with very good precision, and can move smooth enough that the turret commander can still maintain control of the upstairs fighting gear, and the driver can move quickly to address multiple targets.
The StuG does not have to worry about an upstairs fighting position but still has to manage a lot of crew coordination to address multiple targets.

Can't account for french logistics, nothing was ever where they needed it, including the tanks themselves.

Now on the B1 ter they moved away from the Nader unit and went with a limited gun traverse instead, how that may have played out, well i guess we will never know.

14 hours ago, jwilly said:

That depends on how you look at it
It was a good design choice for what it was envisioned for.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) that was not a reality that was to happen again.

Also, it may not be exactly feasible to try to make it moveable
There is only 1 gun sight, it is synced with the 75mm hull cannon which does not have suitable movement for an MG
The M4 shermans have bow MGs that move but have no optics so.....

dsc02071-2aa2837.jpgcanon-de-75-pour-char-b1-photo-5.jpg

Still, the B1 bis was beast, had it been in the right places at the right times, it may have made a much much larger difference in things.

Eure: The 1/41e BCC outflanks Stonne by the north-west but capitaine Billotte is hampered by several cliffs and important slopes. He has to move to the right, arriving in Stonne itself (from the north-west) before the battalion commander. The B1bis “Eure” arrives nose to nose with 13 German tanks of Pz.Rgt.8 (10.PzD) in column in the main street of the town. The first tank is only at 30m. Billotte orders the driver (sergent Durupt) to target the last tank with the 75mm SA35 hull gun while he destroys the first tank with the 47mm SA35 turret gun. The first shots destroyed simultaneously the first and the last German tank of the column, the others could hardly move. In several minutes, the B1bis “Eure” advances in the street and neutralize the 11 remaining tanks while numerous shells are hitting the armor of the B1bis without penetrating it. 2 Panzer IVs and 11 Panzer IIIs are reported as being destroyed (It is however not 100% sure that among them there were not several wrecks from the previous day). Billotte crosses the whole town and destroys also two 3.7cm AT guns next to the “Pain de Sucre”. The armor of the B1bis revealed later to be scattered with 140 impacts and gouges, none of the projectiles penetrated the armor according to the war diary of the 41e BCC. One can see here a kind of small reversed “Villers Bocage”. The “Eure” was scuttled on the 13th June as the drive wheels were unable to be used.

Ricquewihr: On May 16, around 17h00, the Char B1bis “Ricquewihr” (commanded by Lieutenant Doumecq or Domercq ? Apparently the second name is the right one but the first one can be found in several books) from 49e BCC attacks towards Stonne and encounters a German infantry column, which fires at the tank with infantry weapons including anti-tank rifles, without effect. The B1bis crushes its way through the German troops and pushes into the town defended by the Schützen-Regiment 64. When the German soldiers saw the bloody tracks of the tank they fled in panic and abandoned Stonne which remained unoccupied for the night. After that action Domercq was nicknamed “the butcher of Stonne” by his comrades. Ricquewihr will be heavily involved in the combat at Tannay over May 23-24. The B1bis “Ricquewihr” will be the last surviving tank of the 3e DCr, abandoned on June 18, at Sombernon north-east of Dijon, the weapons having been previously scuttled by the crew. At the end of 1942, Domercq (former commander of the tank and living in Paris) is in a pub on the Poincaré Avenue where a German tanker shows several photos to his friends. Domercq recognize his former tank, the “Ricquewihr”. The German explains that he is now the commander of this tank, that he has fired with it and that it was a good tank. He will be taking the tank and the rest of the crew to the Russian front.

FAKE NEWS: Do you guys not see how tall that B1s is?!?!

It's obviously fake, because I know from extensive gayming experience that the top of the tracks comes up to my nipple line, and this "mock-up" is just way too tall.

LULZ

Edited by vasduten1

2 hours ago, vasduten1 said:

FAKE NEWS: Do you guys not see how tall that B1s is?!?!

It's obviously fake, because I know from extensive gayming experience that the top of the tracks comes up to my nipple line, and this "mock-up" is just way too tall.

LULZ

Old - been brought up before the in game B1 bis too small.

1 person likes this

Thing is, I dont see how the Char could do what it was designed to do , assault the Siegfried Line, and not eat hot 88 death without aerial/artillery supremacy to clear the way.

so weird; the MG was free moving in the turret, the radio was morse code, and there was enough free space to squeeze a squad or fireteam