XOOM

Your opinion: 1 Feature, 1 Fix (ONLY)

127 posts in this topic

>>>>>>>>>F2P Lock to Underpop<<<<<<<<<

Everything is explained in the link above. Pop balance should be the number one priority. CRS seems to think STEAM laid the golden egg that will solve all problems, including our 15 year old pop balance problem.  Guess what... IT WON'T. 

CRS will say, "but pop has been fairly even lately. No, it hasn't. I was on last night. We had a 30 second spawn delay. That is not "fairly even" 

All games use a balance mechanism. This game MUST use one too if it wants to survive in the gaming community today. The carrot / stick approach will not work.... ever. People like clubbing baby seals. 

Edited by lipton
1 person likes this

Lots of great ideas.  I personally like the idea of daisy chaining FBs to move forward.  FMS could be used for this as well, but currently the standard use of an FMS is to try to sneak one in to get close to town.  Which leads me to the real question - What is this game trying to be?  Xoom have you and your team developed a Strategy Statement for what WWII Onilne should be?  Is it a big city fighting game?  Open country sniper fest?  Tank battle?  Strategy game?  Air battles? Navy - nevermind.  I'm sure most will say yes to all of the above but that is where the problem comes in.  I think where this game starts to struggle is when it tries to do everything.  With a small team you have to laser focus on what will make the most people happy and drive them to subscribe.  It might be as simple as Pop Neutrality and UI upgrade to start.  Once that is done, use A/B testing if possible to drive gameplay features.  And I would focus on what makes the game great at Low Pop.  Its a no brainer to me when its High Pop, but the trick is making it functional when theres not a bunch of people on.

Feature:

AI or Playable trains that affect supplies in either speed or amount. For example if some flag has low supplies i might start resupply train to it from factory town to the flag position (if its on railroad) and enemies have option to interdict it and ruin my play experience B) or Ai trains that can be interdicted and that start their voyage under certain rules fulfilled by HC members.

Fix:

Give us back AB supplies so bgd hierarchy and supplies again have some meaning, together with puffy pants, off course.

Viz limit. This was implimented originally for performance improvement. It killed the high alt bombing game. People's computers are much better now and for those where draw limits help...have a slider under preferences that can be manually set.

1 person likes this

Feature

Ability to own a brigade/flag and have control where goes and fights just like Heroes and Generals had.

Fix

Remove all AI expect AF AI.

Remove degun from all tanks and track damages states.

Prevent huge movements to happen when significantly underpop or at low server population timezone.

Fix: Re-do bushes, they are the same as they were in 2007 and are all just straight line hedgerows or straightline berm plantpots and have very little flavour for attacking around a town.

Feature: Remove FBs as they are, replace with truck placed FBs that you drive up from the town behind but have variable spawns for both armour and infantry. People will respond to EWS more, people who want instant action have that more so and it makes things harder to camp. Create real ZOC for the playerbase rather than armour zergs and inf ant trails. 

To be honest most people in this thread are saying that TOES and town supply are issues, that's all strategic level stuff that in reality doesn't matter, what matters for 95% of the playerbase is having a good fight with combined arms that you feel a part of. Games have evolved and pretty soon WWIIOL will lose its niche because there's a clear market for people who want this game but just want something more modern and easier to get into. 

1 hour ago, crescent said:

Viz limit. This was implimented originally for performance improvement. It killed the high alt bombing game. People's computers are much better now and for those where draw limits help...have a slider under preferences that can be manually set.

Just for clarification

The game always had a viz limited, it never existed without one and it was initially much much lower due to dialup support
VisLimit being the maximum amount of live avatars you will track realtime data for at any given time, as well as render their polygons, whether you are looking at them or not.

The vislimit in the game now is currently 128 live human operated avatars, this is the highest number the game has ever had.
It is also probably the highest number used in the gaming industry.

What you are refering to is the render range cutoff
Infantry cut off at 700 to 800m
Tanks/trucks/atg seem to be somewhere between 2km to 3km
Navy ships around 10km or so?
Aircraft, someplace around 6km or so? i am bad at judging distance in the air

The cutoff overrides the viz limits
And i imagine the reason for it is that if you are flying at 5km and there are 200 infantry below you, it makes no sense to blink out a chasing enemy fighter to instead load
128 of those infantry into your viztable when they can not effect you at all, but that enemy fighter sure can.

The answer to high alt bombing is not to increase the workload and performance loss on the client by forcing a bomber moving at 400km/h at 7km to suddenly have to 
stutter around caching and rendering the 200 infantry 7km below him that he can not see into his viztable causing enemy fighters to blink in and out and stuttering.
The answer is to simply make the bombs an STO after release, pass the target solution to the server, the server already knows the impact points and times of impact, it simply has to let the clients on the ground know Bombs of XXXkg just detonated at coords X/Y, and have them run the damage calcs.

That is the best and perhaps most efficient way.
All clients can bomb the same regardless of internet connection type, PC specs etc.

2 people like this

48 minutes ago, dropbear said:

OMG Merlin - great post!

Please Don't feed the animals.

Edited by lipton

I think you need to get points for hauling , delivering ammo or setting up fms as a nod to the red ball express.

7 minutes ago, MikeAZ said:

I think you need to get points for hauling , delivering ammo or setting up fms as a nod to the red ball express.

lossy-page1-800px-Corporal_Charles_H._Jo

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, merlin51 said:

Just for clarification

The game always had a viz limited, it never existed without one and it was initially much much lower due to dialup support
VisLimit being the maximum amount of live avatars you will track realtime data for at any given time, as well as render their polygons, whether you are looking at them or not.

The vislimit in the game now is currently 128 live human operated avatars, this is the highest number the game has ever had.
It is also probably the highest number used in the gaming industry.

What you are refering to is the render range cutoff
Infantry cut off at 700 to 800m
Tanks/trucks/atg seem to be somewhere between 2km to 3km
Navy ships around 10km or so?
Aircraft, someplace around 6km or so? i am bad at judging distance in the air

The cutoff overrides the viz limits
And i imagine the reason for it is that if you are flying at 5km and there are 200 infantry below you, it makes no sense to blink out a chasing enemy fighter to instead load
128 of those infantry into your viztable when they can not effect you at all, but that enemy fighter sure can.

The answer to high alt bombing is not to increase the workload and performance loss on the client by forcing a bomber moving at 400km/h at 7km to suddenly have to 
stutter around caching and rendering the 200 infantry 7km below him that he can not see into his viztable causing enemy fighters to blink in and out and stuttering.
The answer is to simply make the bombs an STO after release, pass the target solution to the server, the server already knows the impact points and times of impact, it simply has to let the clients on the ground know Bombs of XXXkg just detonated at coords X/Y, and have them run the damage calcs.

That is the best and perhaps most efficient way.
All clients can bomb the same regardless of internet connection type, PC specs etc.

Yes the render range "performance" fix around 2010 is what I meant. Anyway it pissed off a ton of people at the time and killed high alt bombing. I do remember the sto promise so if that's the fix, then I'm for it.

FIX - Fix the fracking UI. (this is a 10 year old wish)

Please lock a programmer in a closet until they create a new system for selecting brigades, selecting or creating missions. I'd love a total redo but just taking a UX approach ( going to the map to see what brigade is in town, then switching to a list of brigades and having to find and select the correct one is just painful. ) add in 2 army's and 3 roles and you got a total cluster. I've been known to spend several minutes trying to create/join a particular mission.  I've been playing this game for years and it's still a total pain.

Feature - The ability to kill stale missions,( this is new wish).

Since steam and new players now regularly out numbering Vet's on the server it's become a real issue. New players have little idea whats going on, thus we have ludicrous mission pop's developing. saw 20 plus players defending a town that was not AO'd but was next to a town that was AO'd , there was no FB so they where not running to the target for a change, they where building sandbags and ATG emplacements everywhere.After logged into town I started driving the one's who knew how to get on a truck the 3km to the target while i was setting FMS's. Still was only a minor fix as none of them really seemed to know that they had to change mission to use the FMS. Happly after annoying the target town for a bit an AO was placed on the attacking town so all the greentags got to join in the fun.

I'd list a bunch of other things but these are the two that i think really need fixing ASAP, I also think that both should be relatively easily and quickly achievable.      

56 minutes ago, crescent said:

Yes the render range "performance" fix around 2010 is what I meant. Anyway it pissed off a ton of people at the time and killed high alt bombing.

Double Edged sword
Do you remember, prior to that what would happen when flying into those heavily populated areas?

56 minutes ago, crescent said:

I do remember the sto promise so if that's the fix, then I'm for it.

We know STO works, the mortar is proof of concept, and it is well tested by now.
I do not know why bombs have not moved to it yet, i imagine it isn't as simply a switch over as we would like it to be, there might be some more backend work needed to make it viable since bombs would probably occur in much larger number and frequency than mortars.
But that is where i honestly think the most logical change to bombing would be.
It makes the most sense both mechanically and just logically.

You want to be able to bomb a location with your bomber group and be up out of AI AAA Hellfire and Mo's bofors range
So you want to be cruising at 5k 6k 8k.
You of course can not see an infantryman up there, you'd render him as less than a pixel.
You dont want him filling out a potential slot on your vizlist up there, you want those saved for interceptors.
Also, planes move so fast that they are constantly swapping around ground units in their viztable.
And bombing a heavily populated ground location, you definitely dont want viztable juggling going on.
You just want to concentrate on keeping in formation, lining up on the drop path, and carpet bombing the place, then bugging out to re-arm.
So yea, to me best solution is pass your drop calcs to the server, let it announce to the clients in the cell since the server knows where everyone is regardless of vizlist.
Net result, all 500 players in an area are open for target rather than just the 128 you could load in a viztable and your game performance is not suffering to do it.

I do remember. My crappy computer would lag all over...not at 12k feet or 15k feet but down low indeed. Personally I have a computer now that can handle as many people as you can throw at it.

i would think most have a computer that doesn't have too many issues with the game now, however the game code and engine still doesn't take advantage of modern graphics cards and cpus. The solutions are there. Whether it's stos or new code or a modern engine, 8 years is long enough.

FIX : Return to Brigade Supply System

2 FIX : Implement 64bits .exe

Edited by matamor
1 person likes this

1 minute ago, matamor said:

FIX : Return to Brigade Supply System

? We have brigade based supply now ?

1 Fix, Pop Neutrality

1 Feature, Tossup between Russian front  and Uboat wars.

I would like global death spam so you can see who is killing who and a in game leader board where it tallies your kills but on for the period you are logged in, once you log out its wiped. In DAOC they had that. One day I played for 4 hours straight and racked up 94 kill and only 4 deaths. It's a badge of honor that gets worn by one person at a time ,but changes hands frequently.

2 hours ago, Roto said:

I would like global death spam so you can see who is killing who and a in game leader board where it tallies your kills but on for the period you are logged in, once you log out its wiped. In DAOC they had that. One day I played for 4 hours straight and racked up 94 kill and only 4 deaths. It's a badge of honor that gets worn by one person at a time ,but changes hands frequently.

This already exists to some extent, it's just not in-game. 

http://stats.wwiionline.com

13 hours ago, stankyus said:

Monica? is that you?

Why? Do you think you're Bill? That would explain a lot. 

Fix: Oh, please CRS, that Mac patch download bug! It takes me an hour or more to redownload the whole thing every single time an update is needed, no matter how minor.                                                                            Feature: For a game that prides itself on realism, it places quite a large priority on suicide rushes into certain small, grey brick buildings that seem to be arbitrarily placed about (to the beginner, at least). A form of area capture should be the way forward, in such a way to allow actual combined-arms warfare, instead of the capping-camping-bombing mishmash we have now.