• Announcements

• BLKHWK8

Squad vs Squad Battle for Notre Dame Postponed   08/03/2018

The event for this weekend will be postponed... We have not been able to get a solid commitment to run the event. I will be posting a poll to select a better date and time. Poll:    Welcome back our Squad vs Squad events. Please check out the forum post here   
XOOM

Your opinion: 1 Feature, 1 Fix (ONLY)

127 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

One reason infantry do not deploy FM's anymore is when you cut a bridge, to try and hold onto your position, that bridge is cut, no one should be able to come across it without
repairing it, and you will see that happening, it wont just go poof.
But the bridge down does not stop one infantry from running up river just a wee bit out of the area where anyone is looking, swimming over and plopping down an FM
that then portals troops over a blown bridge into a flank that you should have otherwise been able to have considered secure.

That's also the reason why all of our riverbanks got attacked with a dredging bucket and given vertical sides

This.  Infantry placed FRUs make a mockery of terrain.  They are the tactical version of JWBS.  

Hello,

With all due respect.

I guess I should not have stepped in to defend the FMS. I mean the thread is about one fix, one feature.

I'm not afraid of changes to the FMS. We all know where the old FRU leads and we are in the midst of seeing where the FMS leads is my point of view. If CRS thinks that reverting back to infantry placed spawns is better for the game who am I to stand in their way. CRS has many years worth of data of how well the game stood up when hardly anything was changed, including the infantry placed FRU.

Just to be clear, I personally would be happier with FB and City spawn points only with better and larger area capture. I do understand, however, that having my own personal preference is not necessarily good for the games population. That is CRS's decision to make.

That being said, the move to the current FMS was the first major change in game mechanics in quite some time. It seemed to not only stabilize but increase the paying player base and the hero builder program. Maybe I'm wrong but it seemed that way. I could see a couple of improvements to the current FMS without a reversion. Originally CRS was going to build a whole new structure but ran into some coding issues trying to model something from scratch. I think I recall that they wanted to try the truck placed FMS and see where it would go and wanted to make the change sooner rather than latter. Then someone on the team had the idea that we already had a structure that could viably stand in for an FMS with some minor changes, temporarily I hope.

So here we are with the FMS and I could list some improvements to help with both camping and give the ML some more maneuverability and power. Infantry could spawn inside or all spawned units could be invisible, invincible and weapon restricted for 5-7 seconds. The FMS model could be reworked by simply adding in some sandbags during creation for better defense. A new and better model could be introduced. Truck noise could be reduced and or shortened. Trucks could spawn from the FMS. Engineers could be given the ability to build much faster. An ML could be given the ability to place a single FRU within 500 meters of the FMS (still restricted by enemy facilities of course). The FRU would help with camping some if you have the supply to counter armor. Your still going to need Armor support unless we revert to hide in the bushes and resurrect and outflank. The attached FRU could either go down simultaneously if the FMS is taken down or could stay until destroyed but not moved.  An APC could be modeled to place the FMS instead of the truck, even an armed one. Or let armor or some types of armor place FMSs. I'm open to changes and improvements to vehicle placed FMS mechanics. Even though I prefer FB and City spawning only.

You could even let the ML replace the FMS with a FRU but then we are back where we were. Run truck in as distraction and then pull the FMS down or wait for it to go down and build an FRU somewhere else. I always thought Armor and Infantry where on the same side if they were from the same side. I thought the idea was to work together closely. Which we could have more of if we wanted.

If the old FRU is your FIX or FEATURE fine. But I'll still point out, we've been there. I really do not believe that all of the new players that are more than willing to walk in from FB's or hop on trucks for transport are going to stick around long term if we revert back to the FRU. What I have seen as some veterans concerns is--- get these green tags off my truck, they make too much noise and won't listen. As if we could not have foreseen that. Let them make noise, throw grenades, whatever for a few campaigns. Take the time to drive them in a ways and drop them off. That used to be me, that used to be most of us.  We have to let them figure it out and we have to take it on the chin.  I could be wrong about it all but we have some pretty hard data where the infantry placed FRU eventually leads.

I'm not defending the FMS. I'm just saying I do not believe reverting back to the old infantry placed FRU is the best fix for retaining players, while improving upon the FMS might. I just do not see reverting back to the old FRU as a Fix or a Feature. THat's my bad. Go ahead try infantry placed FRU's for a couple of campaigns...as many campaigns as you want. CRS does not nor does anyone else require my permission.

These are just my own personal views and not intended to offend anyone, really.

As I stated earlier, supply and flag movements are the game mechanics that I believe require the most attention from my point of view. Which might actually help the FMS  and getting to higher tiers as well. Carry On.

S!

1 person likes this

the FMS is a huge part of the game, when there are none; players don't even bother to spawn.

during May TZ3 inactivity creeped into TZ1, the game was only playable during prime time. it wasn't as bad with truck-FRU's, they were doing well. after the FMS TZ1 was dead

16 hours ago, merlin51 said:

wth is JWBS?

JaWa's Burger Shack?

It is something like Jesuschrist Warping Brigade System.

Mata could tell you better for sure. :P

My fix for the game,

First I do think we need to fix Toes in terms of it being too HC demanding.  I would like to see this really thought through and take the best things about the current system and the best things about the older town based supply system to make a hybrid.  

reasons:

Too HC demanding given the few HC on in low pop and the few affecting the outcome for so many.  But we also need to be care full of other things like the amount of tanks in every town under the old system so we don't end up with (world of tanks online) when infantry should be given the most attention.   although the return of armored column good for the game.  

My new feature,

So if HC gives orders then we need field commanders,mission or squad leaders rank earned to give orders ( say E1 though E10) based on accomplishments or experience points.

reasons,

This will provide  structure for HC, field commanders, mission leaders, etc  all  the way down to the E1 grunt to follow orders and earn experience points, rank, and even metals and ribbons etc. instead of begging players and squads to do things like we have now.

Example,

So under this system we have a paratroop plane with a pilot of a E10 rank that has the best chance of getting paratroops safely to and on target and E1 paratroop earning rank points in order to eventually lead this group on the ground.  This will provide structure for command and rewards from top to bottom.

20 hours ago, Capco said:

This.  Infantry placed FRUs make a mockery of terrain.  They are the tactical version of JWBS.  

Agreed.  Now we just need to kill the strategic version. 

TOEs and town supply:

basic town supply with inf, light atgs and trucks, a couple platoons worth of inf a few light atgs and 5 or so trucks, basically a garrison or rear guard.

Flags would be full flags units of different types: cav, heavy or light armours,   Heavy inf, Light inf and Mountain.

Ability to form different flag units: ex-  Cav Armour would be scout cars, fast light to medium (later tiers) and apcs, limited atgs.

Feature:

Half Tiers Equipment:  Equipment that is released between the tiers that are- too powerful for the base tier but not too powerful the next tier, a quick upgrade to existing equipment (example bolting a few plates of armour) or something rare or experimental.

Contour Lines on the strategic map, or something else that will dispkay terrain elevations.

Edited by krazydog
1 person likes this

Hmm, so many items, where to even begin?  I guess for the fix, it would be two things:

1) Fix the gear access to be rank sensitive by number.  I Find it completely ludicrous that it takes rank 7 to spawn 1 of 25 snipers, but rank 4/5? to spawn 1 of 5 schrecks?  Or 1 of 2/3 Tigers ?

Might have to be some exceptions, e.g. semi rifles could still be low rank somewhat, even though not many in tier 1 etc.

Gear with limited items needs to be higher rank to access.

2) Fix the rank point system.  Way to easy to get points by capture (20, should be 5), MSP (5 should be 1) and no way to get points for things like resupply (5) or fixing AI (1).

So, I'd do a complete overhaul on what gets rank (lowering many and raising some), air comes to mind here too.

Thought of third, 3) Fix the german ranks that truncate - too many of them don't display because of special characters; especially the HC ranks - sad game is this old and we still can't display the ranks right in game.

Hmm, 2 more - keep the 'Brigade-Command' structure updated with correct HC, or just set them all to recruit.  And keep the 'News from HC' section updated - is back on map 141

As for a new feature, obviously far more squad tools.

I need to be able to assign ranks to my members (seen in game), I need to be able to assign members to units/teams.  I need control over my missions and would like our own small squad supply pool.  I'd like to have a squad HQ PPO (spawn point even?) - prolly some other things I'm forgetting, but those are the main ones.

Edited by delems

Haven't been around so can't give a valid response. But WOW I love seeing this thread.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, dcoy said:

Haven't been around so can't give a valid response. But WOW I love seeing this thread.

The current CRS team is doing the best they can with limited resources, but they are still mostly players and still seem to have the best intentions of any group managing this game in the past.

They actually solicit and use info from the playerbase when making decisions!

Also, Hatch is back on board and one of the FIRST things he did was go into the 109 files and fix the crap that was totally borked for around a decade.

It was like night and day. All of a sudden you could actually fly a 109 without flopping the second you tried to turn.

Ironically, we've heard everything from, "Well, the flight model is fine, and we don't have the time to look at it, so DEAL with it." to "ZOMFG these axis pilots and their high alt B&Z... Come down on the deck and FIGHT US!!! LOL!!!111!!!eleven!".

Trouble was... if you did anything more than B&Z you usually started flying like a Wham-O. Paper airplanes had better flight models.

At least they could keep going straight at low speed.

Then they picked up scostman, who probably has forgotten more information than most have even learned about ballistics and ammo types, and well... things are being pushed in the direction of historical accuracy including face-hardened armor and bombs that actually kill units unlucky enough to be within the blast radius. That's huge.

Now they have been working on a HE/KE audit for months, and from all I've seen the fixes look awesome.

There is a big pile of new units modeled, and we've got two people on board to skin them and add art. That means that most likely by XMas we'll be seeing the audits and new models coming in. *fingers crossed*

So far, this team is on the ball and only making the game better.

They've shown enough already and the potential is something worth betting on by subscribing, even if we have issues right now.

2 people like this

Which update will come first?  Small arms update (like ball ammo), HE update, KE update, or new vehicles?

Seems the small arms might be the easiest to do first?

7 minutes ago, delems said:

Which update will come first?  Small arms update (like ball ammo), HE update, KE update, or new vehicles?

Seems the small arms might be the easiest to do first?

Not an official statement, but I'm gathering that they will all come in together in a patch soon(tm).

Fix

Every front line town has supply similar to Hq supply so limited if a side has no Hc on and lose a town they can then hold an fb 

All current flag systems could then be kept.

Why 

It would stop break throughs with no Hc on

I think this thread has supported my view that the single biggest problem with the game at the moment is the helplessness of the low-pop side with no HC on. It's a really dismal situation... CRS should stay up late and just observe it some day... to see the despair of the players is really something. 

Anywho...

Fix: Hq or depot type garrison supply for towns plus armoured cars (perhaps). Very reduced supply in towns behind. Plus increased, realistic move time for brigades based on distance. Attacking brigades should be able to move in immediately (or close to).

Feature: JEEPS 

1 person likes this

Some really really easy features that will make us all happier men when we go back to our wives:

FEATURE 1: - Make $miss result a clickable link

FEATURE 2: - Personal map waypoints

Edited by Di11on

19 hours ago, matamor said:

The returns of the .em

Only if there is a .em that makes your unit drop his weapon and run with hands in the air crying!