• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
utinni

Headset recommendations?

5 posts in this topic

I need to get a headset (with mic) and I'm using a 2015 MBP, which only has the single headphone input. I've been reading lots online but am still confused. Can I buy an integrated headset/mic with single jack and will the mic work? Lots of people suggest it won't, something about in-line power or something? The only other option is a USB headset. Is anyone else running a MBP with single jack and got a headset and mic working fine, if so which make and model?

I had a Turtle Beach headset for a long time, but accidentally broke them tearing them off of my head in frustration at some point. :cool:

When I went out to buy a new set, the TB weren't available and it seemed that most manufacturers don't bother with the PC market and selections were limited at the local GameStop. I ended up bringing the first set back because it didn't have the separate plugs for mic and speakers and had a four foot cord. A fout foot cord!

Make sure the plug is right lol.

They had very few PC headsets,  but  wht they DID have were these:

hx-features-headset-cloud-ii-red.jpg

https://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/headsets/cloud-gaming-headset

I got them and as soon as I got them home I knew right away I had a quality set in my hands. Those headphone supports are aluminum and quite strong. The whole thing is solidly built and the sound... WOW.

They're a little heavier than the TB I had before, but five times more comfortable. No more pain along my earlobe and cartilage. Good headset.

The mic works great as well. 

Highly recommended.

I've had a steelseries arctis 5 for almost a year now. Very happy with it, comfortable, and amazing sound quality. Highly recommend them! 

On 11/11/2017 at 6:43 PM, utinni said:

I need to get a headset (with mic) and I'm using a 2015 MBP, which only has the single headphone input. I've been reading lots online but am still confused. Can I buy an integrated headset/mic with single jack and will the mic work? Lots of people suggest it won't, something about in-line power or something? The only other option is a USB headset. Is anyone else running a MBP with single jack and got a headset and mic working fine, if so which make and model?

Yes, a headset/microphone combo with a single 3.5mm jack will work fine.  That's actually the new standard.  If you have an older headset/microphone combo with two 3.5 mm plugs, you can get a splitter for a few bucks, which has two female and one male connection, which will work with your computer.  My sons both have laptops with single jacks, so I've been there.  USB headsets work fine as well, but they use one of your USB ports, which may be at a premium.

-Irish