• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Hells Gate   03/24/2019

Break through the lines, and enter Hells Gate!!! This will be the next CRS organized event.  Lead by the High command from each side.
      Free Premium Access for the event
      Date: 3/30/19 Time: 11:00 AM Server time/ 12:00pm EST/ 1600 GMT
david01

Why don't Steam recuits have side chat tuned by default?

21 posts in this topic

I was at a FB earlier and there was just a flood of recruits spawning. They were moving in to Julich despite there being no FMS. Building bunkers, goofing around and hopping on a truck and driving straight in to waiting tanks. They kept flooding in, asking questions in local chat. None of them are very responsive and it's like they don't even see the missions and HC orders being spammed on where to go.

I wonder what the heck is going on so I go through Steam and do the tutorial, and lo and behold recruits don't have side chat tuned:

kmlrnh.jpg

All the axis missions are announced either on side chat, or on 10 which recruits don't have tuned either. No one on axis uses ops, and even if they did there's this big scary warning not to use the channel. So the Steam recruits just click on the mission at the top of the active battles tab because they literally don't see any of the other missions posted. Since we have no way to control the active battles tab they all get funneled in to bad/old missions and never see the fresh missions posted.

This does seem a little flawed. Allied use Ops but as you say, there’s that use warning 

1 person likes this

That used to get tuned during the tutorials, but steam players had issues tuning it during the tutorials.   So that part was removed, guess the tuning of it got missed. 

The tut originally guided them through tuning side.

It was:

Hold left alt key to put cursor on the screen

click F3

select side.

They would type "side" in the chat and could not advance the tutorial.

16 minutes ago, B2K said:

That used to get tuned during the tutorials, but steam players had issues tuning it during the tutorials.   So that part was removed, guess the tuning of it got missed. 

So?

We can't set a default channel to be "Side"?

We sure need to.

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, vasduten1 said:

So?

We can't set a default channel to be "Side"?

We sure need to.

what part of guess it got missed didn't you understand?

we were more focused on making sure the removal allowed the tutorial to still function.  Now that we're aware of the issue we'll correct it. 

1 person likes this

I wasn't ripping on you, I just want new players to have access to side chat like everyone else. 

You said it got removed and that it got missed, but not that it would be put straight again.

That's all.

1 hour ago, OldZeke said:

They would type "side" in the chat and could not advance the tutorial.

Nevermind, ignorance averted

1 hour ago, Scking said:

There is a ticket open regarding the issue.. 

It will now be fixed.... Soon™

1 person likes this

Actually this razes an interesting issue.

On the Allied side, the Ops channel does as you'd expect, has all the info about on going ops on it. Side channel was the equivalent of an OT channel.  Given this, many of us playing Allied would de-tune side as it was just spammed with none game related stuff. Then when I played Axis I was surprised to see there appeared to be little communication about on going stuff on the Ops channel. Finally found out that for some reason they were using the Side channel instead!

Therefore this bug actually effects the new players playing on the Axis side a lot more than those playing Allied. Obviously not intentional, just a quirk of the way the 2 sides ended up using the Ops & Side channels.

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, mwhitman said:

Actually this razes an interesting issue.

On the Allied side, the Ops channel does as you'd expect, has all the info about on going ops on it. Side channel was the equivalent of an OT channel.  Given this, many of us playing Allied would de-tune side as it was just spammed with none game related stuff. Then when I played Axis I was surprised to see there appeared to be little communication about on going stuff on the Ops channel. Finally found out that for some reason they were using the Side channel instead!

Therefore this bug actually effects the new players playing on the Axis side a lot more than those playing Allied. Obviously not intentional, just a quirk of the way the 2 sides ended up using the Ops & Side channels.

Correct 

Side channel was for non game related chat and the OPS channel was a general game related chat 

So not a bug 

I don't use Ops channel at all on the allied side so maybe I am missing a lot. As HC I always used Side Channel to communicate w/o using .allied so maybe thats why I didn't get many people joining my FB bust calls 

1 person likes this

46 minutes ago, OHM said:

Correct 

Side channel was for non game related chat and the OPS channel was a general game related chat 

So not a bug 

Not a bug but...

Why do we even have both channels?

Nobody Allied uses side for much, and nobody Axis uses Ops. Seems one could go and noobs would be able to be involved more, right?

Is it possible to merge the two or delete one as an option? I'd rather keep Ops and put it at F3.

Everyone on the same channel. 

Literally.

1 hour ago, lipton said:

It will now be fixed.... Soon™

That's just the way software development is.  Nobody could expect instant fixes for every issue.  

CRS has only so much personnel-power right now and we just have to remain patient.

I'm sure if they could wave a magic wand they'd fix everything they would. 

24 minutes ago, vasduten1 said:

Not a bug but...

Why do we even have both channels?

Nobody Allied uses side for much, and nobody Axis uses Ops. Seems one could go and noobs would be able to be involved more, right?

Is it possible to merge the two or delete one as an option? I'd rather keep Ops and put it at F3.

Everyone on the same channel. 

Literally.

it was envisioned that Ops would be where tactical chatter occurs (targeting, missions, statuses).  Then side would be for the non-tactical stuff went on (support requests, calls for help, etc) .  Then the other chat channels would be used for their respective roles within a battle.

What's ended up happening though is that Ops is used sporadically for tactical stuff.  Side is used for literally everything (tactical, non-Tactical, political rants, recruiting, .......).  Almost no one uses brigade channel, some use mission channel, but not many.  On the Allied side at least target channel is the default 'battle' channel.  It's actually kind of interesting seeing how the sides, given the same tools, and same initial instructions have diverged so much on some things.  Both sides have created at least 1 (or more) 'branch' level channel.  The Axis generally use theirs more (the allies do use their 'air' channel) on a consistent basis.  

1 person likes this

Whether it's a bug or feature isn't important. It's more about a bunch of new players getting massacred or wandering off lost (or both) because they don't see any global missions or guidance from all the vets.

7 minutes ago, david01 said:

Whether it's a bug or feature isn't important. It's more about a bunch of new players getting massacred or wandering off lost (or both) because they don't see any global missions or guidance from all the vets.

Agreed. if they were on Ops playing Axis they'd miss out on a lot.

17 minutes ago, B2K said:

it was envisioned that Ops would be where tactical chatter occurs (targeting, missions, statuses).  Then side would be for the non-tactical stuff went on (support requests, calls for help, etc) .  Then the other chat channels would be used for their respective roles within a battle.

What's ended up happening though is that Ops is used sporadically for tactical stuff.  Side is used for literally everything (tactical, non-Tactical, political rants, recruiting, .......).  Almost no one uses brigade channel, some use mission channel, but not many.  On the Allied side at least target channel is the default 'battle' channel.  It's actually kind of interesting seeing how the sides, given the same tools, and same initial instructions have diverged so much on some things.  Both sides have created at least 1 (or more) 'branch' level channel.  The Axis generally use theirs more (the allies do use their 'air' channel) on a consistent basis.  

It is really interesting to see each side's usage, but if it's confusing new players could it be addressed? It can be part of cleaning up the UI. :)

32 minutes ago, B2K said:

Mission channel i use a lot.
Helps cut down the confusion level when what you have to say is mostly only relevant to people on your own mission only, particularly people coming out of your own FM

Target/Objective channel
Good for communicating with everyone on the various different missions.
Helps you know whats going on across the other side of town where people on your mission wont be able to see.

Brigade channel is great for communicating with people across objectives
People on a town defense mission wont normally hear the group on a mission to attack an FB to the same town.
Brigade channel can let them send info back and forth, like warning of a big armor convoy that just left the fb towards town etc.

Ops channel rarely gets used on the allied side, it got rolled into side channel basicly
If an ops channel is used (not so much nowadays) its usually a custom named channel set up for that op, but this is not done very much anymore for some reason.

Allies used to have ch 55 and 77 as the respective RAF and FAF general channel, now all air is handled over 55
There used to be more numbered channels in use.

The one downside of chat is all the chat goes in the same display box, so it can be a real challenge some days to disseminate the info you need quickly
before it scrolls away.
If you could have each channel have its own display, and have .allied .axis and system/strat messages pop into all channels as necessary it would make coms more manageable

In the old days in the large squads, we would have everyone detune all but squad chat and target chat, and assign a person to function as comms officer
and monitor side, and ops etc. usually the person who was doing map.
That only works in a large and organized squad though. 

23 minutes ago, david01 said:

One thing all n00bs do have auto tuned in HELP
There are always vets sending out occasional announcements on help.
Hi, if you are new and need help hit F6 and ask

One only has to hit F6 and say hi i am new and i dont know whats going on or where the fight is or how i see what's going on, and someone will start helping you out.

Not saying dont fix side auto tune, just saying they are not cut off from all available help

I Don’t use ops at all, that channel is tuned for squad coms, which is rarely used, air is another custom Chanel I use And that is used often, side  channel  is used for everything all orders objectives everything is pumped into side

Basically I just have mission target side and two custom channels in addition to the Help channel, And the two custom channels really could be made better use of but everybody just listens to side.

I had assumed the reason that none of the green guys were listening to anybody was because they couldn’t speak English now it appears that they couldn’t even see it should be interesting to see what happens once they can see it