dre21

One more call for Visual damage on ATG

58 posts in this topic

If distance is the only argument it's a poor one. Cause guess what a small explosion u would see at a distance too. 

I engage plenty of ATG at closer range or they happen to be attached to a Truck riding to battle. 

Here is a Question why have visual dmg for any unit if we can just pump round after round into them till they despawn.

It's called immersion , game atmosphere,  the reality of the fight , the visual satisfaction. 

Think of a new player coming across a ATG with any light Tank and pumping a few rounds into him thinking he is dead just to get killed by that ATG . Well there goes another new player cause he thinks this is complete sh!+. All because u think its a waste of time . 

We'll I don't think it's a waste of time it's needed ,long over due for all the points you can reread if you would like. 

I'm sorry but I can't agree with any of your arguments , not one the distance one is silly why have a Tank go up in Flames at 1700 meters ohhhh maybe to show u just got that all desired kill hit. And don't have to keep pounding him. 

Again small explosion , a deformed ATG all these things are able to be ID from a distance.

It far from the only argument. There are basically 3 ways an ATG can be killed. Small-arms fire - including tank MG's, HE, and AP. Of those three, only AP is likely to shew any indication at range that it's been hit, let alone done any damage. So, mindful of your need for "immersion", when you MG a half-inch thick gun-shield, you're expecting the ammo to magically cook off? Of course not. It certainly would not be "reality of the fight". Which means that in 2/3 cases you're going to see no indication at all. You won't see the "puff of blood" because 6/7ths of each crew-member is behind the shield. So unless you're suggesting the same visual indication for all 3 possible ways of KO'ing an ATG, you've immediately got a problem If you kill it with MG fire it'll look silly if you bend the barrel. If you kill it with HE it'll look silly if you take a wheel off, and if you kill it with AP it'll look silly if all the crew fall in a heap.

There is not even one  remotely sensible "visual damage model" (VDM)  that fits all 3 cases, which means they'll need at least 2 and probably 3 VDMs per gun to get looking right for each weapon class.; (a ton of work) for something that in may cases you wont see due range, or obscuring bushes etc.

It's daft. If you really had "reality of the fight" as a metric for VDM's be included, you'd have to admit that through WWII tank optics the only  reliable indication that an ATG is dead is the crunch it makes as you run it over.

Which brings us back to shooting at the bugger until it is  no longer is spawned.

U want me to list where the DeV team wasted time? 

Been with the game since 2001 so it be a long list and I'm sure I would forget a few things. 

But just two mention a few , 

The Mechwarrior CRS had.

The Sports Car that they modeled.

The Blen Torpedo Bomber.

The Avatar for the HC officers ,remember those the poof pants ones.

The reconstruction of the buildings in big cities ( I actually liked the staircases leading up onto the rooftop )

The taking out of the old Bunkers just to get all new ones ( instead of keeping the old and adding new ones)

Well I'll leave it by that I think you get the point. 

For supporting the game since 2001 like many others here it's really a small request , for putting up with other senseless updates over the years.

Like I said new Team , after all this is the Game Idea section of the Forum or is it not?

7 minutes ago, dre21 said:

Been with the game since 2001 so it be a long list and I'm sure I would forget a few things. 

The Mechwarrior CRS had.

The Blen Torpedo Bomber.

The reconstruction of the buildings in big cities ( I actually liked the staircases leading up onto the rooftop )

The taking out of the old Bunkers just to get all new ones ( instead of keeping the old and adding new ones)

For supporting the game since 2001 like many others here it's really a small request , for putting up with other senseless updates over the years.

Like I said new Team , after all this is the Game Idea section of the Forum or is it not?

Whoa now.  Poofy pants a waste of time?  He didn't mean it HC.  He didn't mean it.  Just back out of the forum slowly dre.  I got your back.

On 12/8/2017 at 0:08 PM, saronin said:

Whoa now.  Poofy pants a waste of time?  He didn't mean it HC.  He didn't mean it.  Just back out of the forum slowly dre.  I got your back.

If they would be still in game I would not list them. Them being taken out in my eyes it was a waste of Dev time.

I will stand strong and not back away :)

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:59 PM, dre21 said:

The Mechwarrior CRS had.

The Blen Torpedo Bomber.

I think it's truer to say that in the past, the primary problem has been stuff being partially implemented, and then, because it's only partially done, there are difficulties, eventual whining, leading to it being modified until the original idea is neutered. HC's and Brigades both are examples I think, in particular a lack of decent GUI for HC'ers to use whilst in game, as opposed to "at map", lack of intermediate level of HC'ship to more gradually prepare players for the role, and the HUGE missed opportunity of Brigades, that of making one Infantry Brigade different from another, and likewise for Armoured Brigades. Potentially this could have made for interesting collisions of opposing forces, and some variation from one battle to the next.

I am 100% with you as regard wasted dev-time in the past, but we seem to infer different things from it. For you, they "might as well waste some more on ATG VDM's" because in the scheme of things it's a drop in the bucket, for me, it's the reverse, I'd much rather see them have the capacity to get on with completing some of the half-baked aspects of the game, and that means opposing any "shiney" distractions such as this. Bear in mind that the original poster was essentially moaning because his Stug, with little HE stowage, was unable to deal with hordes of ATG's. (I paraphrase). Rather than seeing that as a problem of too many atg's, or CP Spawnage of Pak38's/6pdrs/Arfr 57mm's (and up); he's seeing that as requiring some perceived panacea in the form an ATG VDM. For many many reasons that won't deal with the problem he assumes it will, and worse, takes up dev-time the game can't afford for other more pressing aspects. The very LAST thing the game needs now is another area "dumbed down" with some half-baked half-arsed "fix" to placate a noisy minority.

1 hour ago, fidd said:

I think it's truer to say that in the past, the primary problem has been stuff being partially implemented, and then, because it's only partially done, there are difficulties, eventual whining, leading to it being modified until the original idea is neutered. HC's and Brigades both are examples I think, in particular a lack of decent GUI for HC'ers to use whilst in game, as opposed to "at map", lack of intermediate level of HC'ship to more gradually prepare players for the role, and the HUGE missed opportunity of Brigades, that of making one Infantry Brigade different from another, and likewise for Armoured Brigades. Potentially this could have made for interesting collisions of opposing forces, and some variation from one battle to the next.

I am 100% with you as regard wasted dev-time in the past, but we seem to infer different things from it. For you, they "might as well waste some more on ATG VDM's" because in the scheme of things it's a drop in the bucket, for me, it's the reverse, I'd much rather see them have the capacity to get on with completing some of the half-baked aspects of the game, and that means opposing any "shiney" distractions such as this. Bear in mind that the original poster was essentially moaning because his Stug, with little HE stowage, was unable to deal with hordes of ATG's. (I paraphrase). Rather than seeing that as a problem of too many atg's, or CP Spawnage of Pak38's/6pdrs/Arfr 57mm's (and up); he's seeing that as requiring some perceived panacea in the form an ATG VDM. For many many reasons that won't deal with the problem he assumes it will, and worse, takes up dev-time the game can't afford for other more pressing aspects. The very LAST thing the game needs now is another area "dumbed down" with some half-baked half-arsed "fix" to placate a noisy minority.

Cough cough the original poster of this thread was me. Just saying so now I question how serious you even read anything I wrote.

And I don't have issues with dealing with any ATG but a damage model would let me handle even more then pounding them till they despawn like you suggest.

2nd I said I used the stug as an example for its low load out. 

3rd u must have never used a Stug3b and used it as a long range artillery piece have you? My guess is not.

But like I said you see it as a waste of time , I do not . And looking back at the responses on this thread sure looks like more would like to see a damage/kill model on AAA and ATG then not.

Let's leave it by that , I have asked for this since the beginning of the game with the old crew and now I will make the call with the new crew . You don't have to like it , and like I wrote which you must have not read this is the suggestion section of the Forum.

Sure there are plenty of other things that need fixing I don't disagree with that, but I have stated there was enough Dev time wasted on other things that have been reintroduced over and over again in just different forms (aka eyecandy)   and in my eyes a damage model on AAA or ATG would enhance the game even if you don't think so.

We have to agree to disagree on that subject .

Edited by dre21

Fair enough. I think the thread was worthwhile, even if we ultimately differ, as it certainly made me think more about what would be involved, and perhaps gave 'us the players' more clarity in what to ask for in a VDM for ATG's (ie one for MG fire, one for broken gun via AP hit, one for an HE hit on crew/ammo.) - if we're seeking realism. My apologies for my comments about you moaning, that was uncalled for. I'd just come from a complete and protracted whinge-fest in game and was rather stroppy as  a consequence when I wrote that. Again, my apologies. I feel your pain about asking for something since the game began, I feel exactly the same way about the Bren Gun Carrier.