Di11on

Infantry Placed FRUs - Please no

49 posts in this topic

I've come back to playing after a while away - I heard over in the One Fix, One Feature thread that CRS are planning to revert to infantry placed FRUs?

Is this true?

Please no... It's basically the same as allowing you to create a save point in an MMOG. It's ridiculous! I feel that the fortified mobile spawn has been a huge positive development for the game and really allows territory to be held but is more difficult to set up. It creates a need for more infantry-armour cooperation and creates a new role for armour and a greater need for it during an attack.

1 person likes this

I don't think this is in the plans at all.

But, imho, INF-FRUS and current FMS could perfectly co-live under the correct circumstances and supply restrictions (FRU: limited supply, only rifles). FMS have their cons, not all about them is good AT ALL. It happened with former FRUS too, of course. That's why maybe we have a middle ground to explore and see how they can complement each other. 

FMs at least can not come across a bridge when you cut them to block the enemies incursion
inf placed MSP's knew no obstructions, one of the reasons they were disliked.
running up and placing one behind any enemy unit you wanted to remove was another.

1 person likes this

I've been obsessing over the spawns for the past few months, nobody wants or supports inf-FRU's. where'd you read that?

30sec fortified (1 charge) truck-FRU's are acceptable though.

or making FMS even more difficult to make, i reckon a 10-15 min timer and forcing trucks to rev their engines would be favorable, also only missions with 10 people are allowed to build them.

lots of teamwork and no "insta-action" there... not joking, based on the attitude towards the FMS for the past 6 month this would have support in the community and with the rats.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, major0noob said:

I've been obsessing over the spawns for the past few months, nobody wants or supports inf-FRU's. where'd you read that?

30sec fortified (1 charge) truck-FRU's are acceptable though.

or making FMS even more difficult to make, i reckon a 10-15 min timer and forcing trucks to rev their engines would be favorable, also only missions with 10 people are allowed to build them.

lots of teamwork and no "insta-action" there... not joking, based on the attitude towards the FMS for the past 6 month this would have support in the community and with the rats.

Sadly, this. Just a couple simple changes to the placement timer and damage threshold could, IMO, improve gameplay TODAY. 

Feels like CRS is working so hard on 1.36 that they are missing out on the low-hanging fruit.

7 hours ago, Di11on said:

I heard over in the One Fix, One Feature thread that CRS are planning to revert to infantry placed FRUs?

Is this true?

It better not be. 

Insta-stealth FRU's popping up everywhere not good for the game.  What we have now works fine.

1 person likes this

Quite sure there are no plans to ever bring back the infantry FRU.

Some sort of squad based MS be nice, with say limit of 10-48 troops.

Regarding current FMS, UMS; seems ok to me, but I'd have no issue with lowering the create time to 60 seconds to try it; 30 might be to fast.

Inf placed FRU no ,nope ,nein .

Now if you want to talk light Armor ( im talking A13 , t38 , pan early tier all can kill others )spawning at CPs, to prevent the all favorable spawn camping of an AB I'm all ears. I have not thought about later tiers yet but I'm sure one of the heavier Armor per CP would be doable.

It sure would change the dynamic in the game also

Of course limited availability in CPs but let's make that a possibility,  the doors are big enough to do so

the more they are reducing distances, the less interesting it is .

Over years everything has been done to shorten the time from spawn to contact, and finally there s not much left but fighting for a flag

(camping depot/AB) What was a specialty (guard) become game basis.

Kill someone...2 min later he s in your back with counter-unit.. it s ridiculous

1 person likes this

And with all the trees... anyway you can't see anything, and when you can see far, weapon are too weak/slow to engage.. so ...

it s far from epic battle, mostly CQB, a bad FPS with weird controls

What would you do if you didn't have MS' or Frus??? Would you walk to your objective?? (probably not) The dedicated players in the early years walked and rode tanks, trucks and hts. A system of drivers was needed to try and keep the battle going. You want a slug-fest getting into a town?? try that. When you got killed you did your hardest to get back to your squad because every man was needed and there was a greater sense of cooperation. I've never really cared for the fru/ms thing.....now you have WARPING...wth is that. IMHO there isn't a real sense of accomplishment anymore......it's all like sensory gratification of some kind because it is more like an arcade shootem-up.

zimm out

There are no plans to return to Inf placed mobile spawns, backpacks do not contain a brigade, silly notion

2 hours ago, KMS said:

There are no plans to return to Inf placed mobile spawns, backpacks do not contain a brigade, silly notion

Because of course a couple of trucks do. In 2 min you just make a soil igloo et voila, divisions just emanate from the ground.

Pointing realism is always a dead end. Dont go there.

I could buy other arguments. Not that.

1 person likes this

And still no word about why a limited supply of inf-frus (rifles) were not even considered to be discussed. They could add alternatives to the supercamped FMS, especially if they could be set inside buildings. 

On 24/11/2017 at 9:54 AM, merlin51 said:

FMs at least can not come across a bridge when you cut them to block the enemies incursion
inf placed MSP's knew no obstructions, one of the reasons they were disliked.
running up and placing one behind any enemy unit you wanted to remove was another.

This

infantry FMS is a huge negative 

5 hours ago, erasmo said:

And still no word about why a limited supply of inf-frus (rifles) were not even considered to be discussed. They could add alternatives to the supercamped FMS, especially if they could be set inside buildings. 

I’m strongly anti Inf placed FMS but one does need to recognise that the FMS as is could be improved

1 person likes this

On 2017-11-26 at 0:01 AM, tribal45 said:

the more they are reducing distances, the less interesting it is .

Over years everything has been done to shorten the time from spawn to contact, and finally there s not much left but fighting for a flag

(camping depot/AB) What was a specialty (guard) become game basis.

Kill someone...2 min later he s in your back with counter-unit.. it s ridiculous

A-fricken-Men. 

Also dislike the marker feature and the universal GPS. Makes things way too easy.

14 hours ago, erasmo said:

Because of course a couple of trucks do. In 2 min you just make a soil igloo et voila, divisions just emanate from the ground.

Pointing realism is always a dead end. Dont go there.

I could buy other arguments. Not that.

Would you prefer to drive everyone to battle? we used to and it was still fun.

The only problem with FRUs was the unlimited supply.

FMS with ATG supply are worst than RPATs and with FRUs you could take out with a tank HE.. currently it's not viable so you are forced to lock that FMS and wait for Engineers that usually dont come.

But then again it's so much easier to camp an FMS so tankers don't complain that much.

The problem with the current FMS is the mission system itself.  We need more than one FMS on the mission to set up a good ZOC.  Camping one FMS is easy. Camping three FMS in close proximity becomes more difficult in a hurry.   Squads are already employing this doctrine.  They just have to spread out across missions to do so.

The infantry placed FRU allowed for quickly deploying or redeploying a FRU if it was camped or about to be camped.  Not so much with the FMS.  The game has changed and the UI/Mission system needs to change with it.

4 hours ago, pbveteran said:

The only problem with FRUs was the unlimited supply.

FMS with ATG supply are worst than RPATs and with FRUs you could take out with a tank HE.. currently it's not viable so you are forced to lock that FMS and wait for Engineers that usually dont come.

But then again it's so much easier to camp an FMS so tankers don't complain that much.

Would be interesting to see FMS given a tranche of the overall unit supply. Lose the FMS, lose that supply tranche. Creates an incentive to protect and reinforce the FMS

NO to the FRU. I never could understand how a few boxes could spawn a whole brig. of inf. and it could be moved all over the place easily. If you did have it. You should limit the amount that could spawn. Lets say 10 - 15 max. Squad size and no more than 5 FRU per 3k target area.  Good for a quick sneak charge. Coordination a must. 

I am all for the FMS with some mods.

Maybe a redesign of the FMS. 25% - 35% smaller. The opening moved to the right or left so you get a better cover when inside. And maybe have a PPO of bushes so you can camo it more. When you spawn in, you are INSIDE of it. And maybe have a berm in front by the opening so you have some more cover when coming in. Cuts the camping fire down a little. Gives the spawned a chance of surviving more.  You will have to work where the atg and aaa show up and move out of the FMS area. 

maybe have an AI LMG at the front opening that will guard it. This could be a 2 edged sword. It could also give away position somewhat.

On 11/26/2017 at 1:44 AM, zimmer said:

What would you do if you didn't have MS' or Frus??? Would you walk to your objective?? (probably not) The dedicated players in the early years walked and rode tanks, trucks and hts. A system of drivers was needed to try and keep the battle going. You want a slug-fest getting into a town?? try that. When you got killed you did your hardest to get back to your squad because every man was needed and there was a greater sense of cooperation. I've never really cared for the fru/ms thing.....now you have WARPING...wth is that. IMHO there isn't a real sense of accomplishment anymore......it's all like sensory gratification of some kind because it is more like an arcade shootem-up.

zimm out

Just as a heads up, no comment at all on the gaminess or main topic... You could warp into depots long, long ago.  I can't put a date on it but whilst it's likely been in general knowledge since the first MSP's showed their heads it was in use by some for years prior to that. Cap remote cp, warp in, hide, wait until all the recappers left then use it as a base to snipe from :)

On 12/2/2017 at 4:54 PM, KMS said:

Would you prefer to drive everyone to battle? we used to and it was still fun.

I almost never went on a hot drop truck. I walked the miles from fb to target usually. You could find a lot of stuff that thought it was hidden that way ;)