• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
fidd

Missing an oppurtunity?

6 posts in this topic

After returning to the game, from a  5-6 year absence, a number of things have changed, almost invariably to the good. Which makes the one that has got worse, in my estimation, all the poorer. I can still remember, as a new player in 2001 a certain amount of patience and help being given by other players offering "training". This took the form of getting a herd of greentags together, waiting till they ceased shooting each other, and then teaching them a series of skills from how to get on and off a truck, how to drive a truck, operate and ATG and more to the point, explaining to them that for now, they should put all thoughts of aircraft and tanks from their minds. These talks developed over time to include other topics. It was not unusual then to gave a "Training Officer" in most squads.. The benefit was two-way, the greentag got a crash-course in what he needed to know, and the squad often  got a recruit for life, who  was grateful for the help and to those who'd spent the time teaching them.

Fast-forward to the present: Automated Training has reduced the amount of material a Training officer has to teach, but also I think it has changed the way in which greentags are viewed by the now cranky middle-aged veteran players, more as a nuisance perhaps (of course we never ran around shooting each other!). In particular it has broken the bond that naturally formed earlier between the exasperated new player and the patient  grizzled veteran who explained to him in training, how to get in and out of a truck, cap a cp or use a rifle effectively. Changes to the game have also fed into this problem. In 2001 it was standard practice to drive into a town from an FB, with a truckload of troops, or run from an AB to a perimeter defense. Both provided low-intensity moments to teach new players some of the basics. With spawnage from FMS's, DFMS, MSP'S, DMSP's, FRU's and EFRU's (dependant on the era of the players using the phrase - (tip: they are all similar, a truck making a spawnpoint.) the game has become higher intensity, and hence both oppurtunities to training have diminished, but the need for them has increased.

Back in 2001, the game was, in certain respects easier too. There was a LOT less visual cover, so it was a little easier to get a clear understanding of a battle. Every change to the game since then has increased the intensity of combat, but also greatly reduced the ease with which the battle is understood. This affects veteran players too, as it has become less and less possible to a well-sighted ATG or tank to really create problems for the opposition. In 2017 any such well-sighted tank is simply outflanked the other side of hedgelines, crashed through and KO'ed.

A consequence of all the above is that training has become much more important, if the greentag is to become a contributing effective player, and not the clot who leads to your FMS being rumbled who eventually leaves the game after being bollocked once too often.

Some of these issues are systemic, and beyond players ability to "fix", but training greetags in the basics is not,. and should be, must be, done.

2 people like this

Agreed.  This can only be more necessary with the influx of steam players giving the game a 'try'.

Excellent points. If the squads were still the 'true' basic governing factor in the game, IMHO, the impact would not be so severe.

zimm out

1 hour ago, zimmer said:

Excellent points. If the squads were still the 'true' basic governing factor in the game, IMHO, the impact would not be so severe.

zimm out

Squads do try. Blitz Kader has recruited and retained green tags. It usually has to be done on an individual basis though. Walking people through the UI can be a pain. 

No one ever explained to me how to use the game interfaces, move about as Infantry, basic vehicle control, how to take off, map basics etc. etc. 

I had it in my head before I ever logged in, simply because I read the manual cover to cover while installing and waiting to get into the game world. When I logged in I didn't expect anyone to hold my hand, you just got on with it and learnt as you played. Yes the map was tiny at the start so definitely a lot less confusing, but when you spawned in a town and realised there was no fight there you quickly spawnd elsewhere. These days you even have EWS telling you where the enemy is and yet during steam launch there was 20-30 green tags on defunct missions where nothing was happening!? Yes there's an issue with the active battles funnelling them there but really..... 

The game is still the same capture the flag it's always been. It's even easier now to get a grip with than during the first years imo. However the new players checking out the game now are not the same type of gamer who started during the first 5-6 years. The people checking out WWIIOL now arent the niche war gamers, they are the casual steam user who jumps in and expects to be taken by the hand and entertained with minimum effort on their part.

We have all bashed our heads against the wall trying to get them to respond in chat. We have all put waypoints on the map and watched them magically follow them to target like lemmings while still ignoring instructions. How do you get these types to watch a training video or sit through a tutorial they consider just another inconvenience? I'd really like to know. 

Edited by kagetora

Agree completely.  BUT.....our 2nd Rangers squad got all geared up for the expected inrush of noobs when Steam went active.  We set up a forum with all kinds of training material.  Pictures, maps, videos, acronym lists, the whole nine yards.  We talked and planned about how we would handle the wave of greenies.  Priority #1 was to get them talking on Discord since we knew we couldn't effectively control or train them using squad chat through the keyboard.  But that's where it broke down.  We tried and tried and tried to get them on Discord, with about a 5% success rate.  Most never replied in any way:  squad chat, PM, nothing!  I even had one noob tell me there was no way he would go out and download a third-party software like Discord for a "crappy" game like this.  At this point, we've become a bit callous.  We throw a greeting out there when a noob shows up and expect nothing, which is what we usually get.

I think those of us who have been around the game for a while recognize there are features that keep us coming back.  For me it's the team aspect of squad-play and the large-scale, persistent nature of the map.  But those very features take some time to understand and appreciate.  I have seen a huge number of noobs be auto-recruited to the squad and 10 minutes later I see "so-and-so has left your supervision by exiting the game", never to be seen again.  10 minutes?  They want to see blood, gore and pink mist and they're not getting it.

I don't have any silver bullets for this issue, but make no mistake it is an issue.  A few years ago, when CRS had the host squad thing going, a designated trainer could "Grab" a greenie and control all his chat, etc.  I think that would go a long way in keeping some of these greenies around long enough for them to at least understand the difference between an AB and an ATG.

1 person likes this