KMS

Discord Overlay workaround

6 posts in this topic

I love working with a squad or large group but unless you know their voices it can be difficult to know who is saying what, the overlay in Discord is a buggy bastage but here's a way to get it working

(Thanks to usmfan08 for this)

Open Discord

Go to Settings/games and delete all the record of found WWIIOL games, close discord completely at the "Hidden Icons" ^ right side of toolbar

Start WW2, tab out open Discord, go to Settings/games and  click "add it" scroll down that list a bit and click WWIIOL, go to the added game and turn overlay ON

Go to Settings/games and click Overlay then turn Overlay off and On

back to the game and voila!
Oh and keep a browser open on the desktop so you can tab out

Thanks for the write up KMS I was thinking of writing one this week. It's important to note a few things: ww2ol should be started before you open discord. Also, this workaround works the majority of the time, sometimes it doesn't happen though. If you opened the game before discord just repeat the internal discord steps; delete ww2 from the added games, readd it and toggle overlay on there, and go to the actual overlay tab and toggle it off and on again.

Ive taken to just running discord on my phone and putting the phone on its kickstand under the monitor.
I know i could put discord on my other monitor but then i have to turn and look over to see who is eating potato chips into their microphone

1 person likes this

I'm still having a problem getting this to work in game..... It used to but hasn't for the past couple of months.

Will try again tomorrow.

57 minutes ago, Rws said:

I'm still having a problem getting this to work in game..... It used to but hasn't for the past couple of months.

Will try again tomorrow.

Yeah... every time discord updates the app they break the overlay more and more.

I do it a little different.

1. Start DISCORD 1st with ADMIN level running. Which is set at the icon. Right clik it.
  2. Start WWII, ADMIN level TOO.
  3. <ALT>tab and pull up DISCORD.
  4. Opens settings in bottom left of DISCORD
  5. Open GAMES
  6. Turn the little window symbol for overlay on then off then on again.
  7. There is a similar repeat just below the top one and I repeat 6 and leave it on.
  8. Then I go to OVERLAY and cycle/toggle it off then on. Leaving it on.
  9. BACK TO GAME.

Typically this works. The overlay will show up about 5 seconds later when you get back to game.

If not, I repeat 3 to 9.