Silky

To what question is population-triggered AOs the answer?

78 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, saronin said:

Wrong issue. People here are under the impression that in1.36 the AOs will be put into effect with a mass of players rather than a dot command by HC.

We haven't determined that yet, everything is up for discussion and review, we welcome ideas but we have a general direction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KMS said:

We haven't determined that yet, everything is up for discussion and review, we welcome ideas but we have a general direction

Someone better let people know. It seems as though many believe it’s a done deal and that HC is losing the control of AOs. That would be the biggest gut punch to them since they lost their poofy pants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, saronin said:

Someone better let people know. It seems as though many believe it’s a done deal and that HC is losing the control of AOs. That would be the biggest gut punch to them since they lost their poofy pants. 

We've posted that many times - players want to believe what they want to believe.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, erasmo said:

Respectfully,

For doing exactly what that cannot do at the moment?

Oh yeah, I guess the answer: lead in the field?

Normally, and unfortunately, the people who have to manage the map is THE SAME that lead in the field. Nothing has forbidden to anybody to get in HC to basically do tactical stuff. In fact, there always have been roles for that and create content for PB.

Nothing of that happened, because it is easier and more confortable to be talkative and rant from the backseat, instead of go and "lead".

We will see now if we have new hordes of "leaders" taking the reigns and filling the fields.

We will see.

 

More people might volunteer for HC if they know when logging in they wont have to do the map stuff.

Explain why when a side is rolling there are generally more HC in game for that side?

If HC is such an attractive position why aren't players breaking down the door to get in?

Most don't want that responsibility, some do, some could care less.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

***  HC is losing the control of AOs. That would be the biggest gut punch to them

Hmm, interesting, how come this would be such a 'blow' to them?  Doesn't this imply they have something they don't want to give up?  Why don't they want to give it up?

Doesn't it also imply all the other players in game don't have it?  Why does this exclusive set of players get something the other players can't have access to?

 

And, while it may be a blow to HC, maybe it is the 'wind against the back' the players need to get the game moving again?  There are two ends to every stick.

 

 

And, if we just removed the fallback and move complexities, HC would be far easier to manage (still supply, but that isn't near as bad).

Remove all fallbacks, flags move E or W based on nation, remove all move dependancies - every flag is independent and can move as it likes.

 

Edited by delems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, delems said:

***  HC is losing the control of AOs. That would be the biggest gut punch to them

Hmm, interesting, how come this would be such a 'blow' to them?  Doesn't this imply they have something they don't want to give up?  Why don't they want to give it up?

Doesn't it also imply all the other players in game don't have it?  Why does this exclusive set of players get something the other players can't have access to?

There is nothing exclusive about this "exclusive set of players" other than the other players not willing to join them.  The only thing excluding them is themselves.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Capco said:

There is nothing exclusive about this "exclusive set of players" other than the other players not willing to join them.  The only thing excluding them is themselves.  

If you don't think that there's anything exclusive about something that requires a manual application and approval process by a company then I don't know what to tell you. It's a job that you do for free, which is why no one besides you and like 30 other people in the world want to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, david01 said:

If you don't think that there's anything exclusive about something that requires a manual application and approval process by a company then I don't know what to tell you. It's a job that you do for free, which is why no one besides you and like 30 other people in the world want to do it.

If it’s so exclusive why have I been asked to join so many times over the years?  I have seen HC take people who were new and barely understood the game. It’s the least exclusive exclusive club ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, david01 said:

If you don't think that there's anything exclusive about something that requires a manual application and approval process by a company then I don't know what to tell you. It's a job that you do for free, which is why no one besides you and like 30 other people in the world want to do it.

I dont think exclusive is the right word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KMS said:

We haven't determined that yet, everything is up for discussion and review, we welcome ideas but we have a general direction

So have I got this completely wrong?

@B2K @blkhwk8 @KMS

Can you confirm whether AOs will be triggered by player numbers near that town or not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NO decision has been made - though it's kind of fun watching the forum 'experts' in action...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard that CRS was gonna implement a TOEs system for the proximity based AOs, where invisible flags were moved by secret HC members to warp supply in for these AOs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

giphy.gif

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings,

A decision does have to be made and implemented one way or the other before we can move forward or backward, depending on your point of view. Plus things need to be tried and refined so implementation of something reasonable is key. I'm hoping that we are making some headway into the supply and command mechanics at least at the decision level because the game really needs this to be resolved as quickly as possible in my humble opinion.

S!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, vasduten1 said:

I heard that CRS was gonna implement a TOEs system for the proximity based AOs, where invisible flags were moved by secret HC members to warp supply in for these AOs.

You weren't supposed to tell anyone..... better not spill the beans about the motorcycle riding medic (para) dogs... 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, B2K said:

NO decision has been made - though it's kind of fun watching the forum 'experts' in action...

Ahem.  I do not go by forum “expert”. You will address me as Supreme WWII Online Forum Commander. 

Edited by saronin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also go by Governor-General of the Barracks and Air Chief Marshal of the Hangar.

Edited by Capco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, saronin said:

Ahem.  I do not go by forum “expert”. You will address me as Supreme WWII Online Forum Commander. 

He actually asked others in HC for a forum HC title.

 

I'm not joking.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, vasduten1 said:

He actually asked others in HC for a forum HC title.

 

I'm not joking.

 

It's an integral part of the campaign.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Silky said:

So have I got this completely wrong?

@B2K @blkhwk8 @KMS

Can you confirm whether AOs will be triggered by player numbers near that town or not

Yes, it is completely wrong to say "It will be this way" because we're still working on ideas , hell we may just give each player virtual dice :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KMS said:

Yes, it is completely wrong to say "It will be this way" because we're still working on ideas , hell we may just give each player virtual dice :)

 

Will the dice be fuzzy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thread. My take on it is that when HC was instituted, it should have been a two level outfit, with fully-trained HC officers doing the movement of Brigades, and then a cadre of HC trainees without responsibilities for Brigade movment, who would serve in two roles:

1. Helping to implement, in game, AO's, assisting HC's as their "eyes and ears" 

2.  Whilst continuously being able to see and understand the mechanics of Brigade movement and supply management, "on the job" training.

IMHO the current leap from regular player to fully-fledged HC is too much. I found HC'ing very nerve-wracking back in 2006 or so. I expect it hasn't changed much. It needs an intermediate step. Having a perpetual group of "trained but not active" 2nd rank HC'ers, would enable regualar HC'ers to play more without being bound to the map.

The improved tools for HC, and GUI (ideally in-game), and visible to HC'ers whilst spawned, would again be helpful in retaining those trained. Having been trained, I'd give some perks to HC'ers who "retire", provided they complete an annual test of ability. Thereafter, they would not appear as HC with the .hc command, unless no other HC'er was online.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have been asking for population-triggered AOs for 8 years now, I may answer as well : 

 

There were two purposes to AOs : 

- Prevent the old camping + instant-capping, which happened in 90% of attacks, by bringing some kind of actual attrition battle

- gather lonewolves on large-scale attacks lead by HC OICs, and no longer let them make ninja-actions over the whole frontline

 

However, the "manual-triggered" AOs combined with a brigade-based supply simply KILLED the old squad-based orbat. 

Indeed, the old orbat had efficiently organized squads in areas with local objectives to be worked on 24/24. Now squads had no means to get their own battle area nor equipment (brigades' supplies were depleted after a single battle). Hence everybody just waited for an AO to rise somewhere over the fronline, all rushed there without any sense of preparation nor coordination, before jumping to another location when brigade's supplies were depleted. This killed the roleplay part played by squads and which was the only USP of WWII online...

The population-triggered AO will allow squads to take initiatives again. Let them prepare a battle-plan and deploy as they want. Combined to garrison supply, some old big issues will be solved while still keeping the intended advantages of AOs.

I just hope they don't put a limit on the number of total AOs. Just need to have 10 people on the target. Extra mobile supplies are a great idea and this is exactly how it should have been designed from the start. Pity they couldn't fix this before Steam. 

 

Edited by Zebbeee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fidd said:

Interesting thread. My take on it is that when HC was instituted, it should have been a two level outfit, with fully-trained HC officers doing the movement of Brigades, and then a cadre of HC trainees without responsibilities for Brigade movment, who would serve in two roles:

1. Helping to implement, in game, AO's, assisting HC's as their "eyes and ears" 

2.  Whilst continuously being able to see and understand the mechanics of Brigade movement and supply management, "on the job" training.

IMHO the current leap from regular player to fully-fledged HC is too much. I found HC'ing very nerve-wracking back in 2006 or so. I expect it hasn't changed much. It needs an intermediate step. Having a perpetual group of "trained but not active" 2nd rank HC'ers, would enable regualar HC'ers to play more without being bound to the map.

The improved tools for HC, and GUI (ideally in-game), and visible to HC'ers whilst spawned, would again be helpful in retaining those trained. Having been trained, I'd give some perks to HC'ers who "retire", provided they complete an annual test of ability. Thereafter, they would not appear as HC with the .hc command, unless no other HC'er was online.

Good post.  

 

This need for an intermediary position has been identified for some time and finally came to fruition in the form of the Reserve Officer role a couple years ago.  Basically, a portion of the OrBat is dedicated to placing Reserve Officers in, and those officers technically have no map responsibility other than as an officer of last resort.  

 

This was not the case when I joined AHC in 2011.  I distinctly remember the first time I had map and being absolutely terrified of having control of the players' supply.  I was so worried about watching the map that I let a ninja cap the Anhee bunker while I was the one guarding it lol.  That was the worst map stint I ever had thanfully... but as an air officer I was able to take it slowly, watch from afar, and pick the brains of others; that eventually paid off.  It's amazing how much experience pays dividends if you are willing to learn.

 

If you want to join HC as a reserve officer for your side, I highly recommend it.  You can go .hcoff as long as there is no other Active Officer online, or stay in Blue Chat and help your MOIC by doing all the little things that need to be done.

 

S!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.