Silky

To what question is population-triggered AOs the answer?

78 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, fidd said:

Interesting thread. My take on it is that when HC was instituted, it should have been a two level outfit, with fully-trained HC officers doing the movement of Brigades, and then a cadre of HC trainees without responsibilities for Brigade movment, who would serve in two roles:

1. Helping to implement, in game, AO's, assisting HC's as their "eyes and ears" 

2.  Whilst continuously being able to see and understand the mechanics of Brigade movement and supply management, "on the job" training.

IMHO the current leap from regular player to fully-fledged HC is too much. I found HC'ing very nerve-wracking back in 2006 or so. I expect it hasn't changed much. It needs an intermediate step. Having a perpetual group of "trained but not active" 2nd rank HC'ers, would enable regualar HC'ers to play more without being bound to the map.

The improved tools for HC, and GUI (ideally in-game), and visible to HC'ers whilst spawned, would again be helpful in retaining those trained. Having been trained, I'd give some perks to HC'ers who "retire", provided they complete an annual test of ability. Thereafter, they would not appear as HC with the .hc command, unless no other HC'er was online.

When HC was instituted, there were no supplies to move.  Each town had 'x' equipment the very instant you took the town.  The HC Officers worked with unit OICs to set operations in motion, both offensive and defensive.   Knowing the units involved was key, in order to take advantage of their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.  HC Officers were in constant coms with other HC Officers when ingame, along with being in contact with unit OICs, and (all too often) random calls for help.  

Thus, there was 2 tiers, although only 1 (most of the time) was HC, with the other being the unit/squad commanders or their OICs.

Maybe the Officer list is not kept up to date, but if it is, I would surmise one of the problems is not having the slots filled, thus being forced to rely on the few who are willing to do the 'job'.  It seems like the closer the game has gotten to getting HC the proper tools, the farther away the squads ended up.  Squads are/were an important piece of the HC 'pie'.  Every effort to get squads back up to size should be made, imho.  (Yes, I realize that will have to come from the playerbase, mostly).

S!

Edited by augetout

14 hours ago, fidd said:

Interesting thread. My take on it is that when HC was instituted, it should have been a two level outfit, with fully-trained HC officers doing the movement of Brigades, and then a cadre of HC trainees without responsibilities for Brigade movment, who would serve in two roles:

1. The original HC was first instituted in the period May-Aug 2001. I was the first Allied CinC. There were no Brigades back then. Responsibilities were distributed through Country/Army/Corps/squads as you would imagine.

2. The system you describe was/is set up pretty much so, at some point in game history, far as I know.