fidd

Country specific objects

10 posts in this topic

I've often thought it would be nice if as you entered different countries, be it Belgium/Holland/Britain/Luxembourg or Germany, the road-signs were:

1.  Correct for the period.

2.  Correct for the country concerned.

Custom's posts on borders would also be nice touch, as would period advertisements for products of that country and era. This is pure "immersion" stuff, so obviously not remotely urgent. It'd probably be worthwhile doing this - if it were done - when next buildings come under revision, as it was fairly common practice in the UK and France, (at perhaps other countries for all I know) for advertisements to be painted in the end-walls of buildings. So perhaps creating "British buildings", "Belgian buildings" and so forth, would be a smart way to go about it, as this would allow for nation-specific variations in the architecture of buildings, of factories etc.

It could be beneficial to have players from the various countries concerned to submit photographs of buildings/road-signs/military directions signs/advertisments of the period, ideally taken in or around 1940, to help CRS with source-material.

At the same time, it might be interesting to vary the types of development both of buildings and agricultural or industrial use. So field-sizes in Northern France tended to be considerably larger than English fields, which were very irregular with sunken-roads common, similar to Normandy, but less wooded than the boccage. 1930's British architecture was chiefly Art Deco, painted white, or natural brick (invariably blackened with soot) or of older Victorian stock. Provincial French architecture had some Art-Deco buildings, but was likewise very distinctive relative to other countries.

I would suggest that towns have areas classified as "Residential" and/or, "Light industrial" and/or, "Heavy industrial". Some "Ribbon development" (houses along roads leading out of towns) would also be both useful and realistic.

3 people like this

Like this, especially increasing the number of "village" buildings at road junctions and on the edges of larger towns

Cafes, Inns, etc would also improve immersion

nice idea...

The other idea I had, many many moons ago, was to have "applique" signage. IE making some aspects of a building determined by the parent building type, and others by a 2d graphic "applied" to a  spot on a specific type of building where multiple different signs of a given size could be put. So in England, you might have "Brown's Tea-rooms" on one building, and "Anderson and Sons" on another Of the same building type). The same building in France (plus applique "shutters" might be a "Boulangerie" or "Tabac" etc. If signage were turnable-offable ingame, then pilots etc would not suffer any frame-rate-loss. (Besides which, few of us pilots can read anyway!)

This "applique" approach could be extended to "damage" so that a destroyed building might appear burned-out/scarred with gun-fire, but without the precisely same damaged appearance of all the other destroyed buildings of the same type.

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:46 AM, chry said:

Like this, especially increasing the number of "village" buildings at road junctions and on the edges of larger towns

Cafes, Inns, etc would also improve immersion

nice idea...

Thanks. One does rather get the impression that towns were "cookie-cut "as the "septics"  would say, and more or less plonked into the map without much regard for how old European towns and cities develop, and without regard for the differences between different countries in architecture, period road-signage and advertising or other street-furniture such as telegraph and electricity poles, the prevalence of shutters around windows and so forth. (The latter is extremely common in France and Belgium, but virtually unknown in England.) I fully agree with you about the need for more variety of development in the game-world, and particularly around road junctions. Mind you, I'd like to see the abandonment of roads that are essentially limited to the cardinal points of the compass as  first step.

If the Rats wished, I'd be happy to start a research group from several European countries, to assemble material shewing all the national differences in period road signage, typical architecture, pylons and telegraph poles (ETC) so that when the terrain is eventually redone either from scratch, or by degree, there's better material at hand for creating more authentic variety. 

Also, there are hardly any reinforcements around or IN towns.

That wasn't the norm during wartime, as every able body, man, woman and child were busy filling sandbags and digging trenches.

They'd routinely stack sandbags up along roadways to protect the buildings and to provide cover from bomb blasts and mortars, as well as small arms -but small arms came into play well after a town, village or city had been shelled and bombed mercilessly.

I'd love to see sandbag "trenches" around towns to defend from or advance through.

One shouldn't have to waltz in through open country every damned time to fight in a town, usually camped by Cabby in a tank.

The difficulty with street-lighting is that night time blackouts were imposed practically without exception in towns liable to night-time aerial attack, as much to make navigation difficult as to protect a town from being seen and bombed. Rather than villages - which are broadly of the size of what we call "towns", I would suggest 3 or different possible "hamlets", ie 3-6 or so buildings, as either rural farm buildings, housing, or light-industrial buildings, typically at road junctions, or occasionally as ribbon-development on the outskirts of larger cities and towns. Perhaps at multi-ab towns?

I think the main point I'd like to promote is this notion of the appearance of buildings being defined by the native graphics of that building type, modified by applique graphics for signage, advertisements, shutters, different roof-tiles and so forth to allow for a much greater variety in appearance, and the ability to vary some aspects of that appearance by location  - eg Belgian signs in Belgian towns etc. If, for example, any given building had just 4 variable applique graphical components, each of which can be included or omitted, then that's (I think!) potentially 25 different appearances for any given building type x 7 or so for Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg, France, Britain and Germany. That's at least 175 different permutations if the building type existed in all countries. With the selection of current building types, that ought to mean that no two towns would appear even remotely similar one to another.

6 hours ago, Ltarflak said:

i would also like to see light posts that light up when it becomes night, and have more viliages 

This. Would be neat to have villiages between the current towns... Add dirt roads that lead to farm houses and barns.. More harscape the better! 

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:39 PM, Ltarflak said:

i would also like to see light posts that light up when it becomes night, and have more viliages 

After further thought if main cities (with integral AAA) lit searchlights as enemy aircraft approached....