• Announcements

• XOOM

Volunteer PHP Developer wanted to revive the Gazette!   07/24/2019

We're looking to properly revive the World@War Gazette and need a solid PHP developer to help take some work forward. If you have some skills with PHP and are looking for some experience and to bring important home page news / recognition for individual players back to WWII Online, I'd like to hear from you! Submit an inquiry to jobs@corneredrats.com with some details about your experience. You will need at least 10+ hours per week to contribute to the team. The Gazette's current status can be found here: https://www.wwiionline.com/resources#gazette
kareca

Snow in the game - Congratulations CRS!!

53 posts in this topic

I just bought a new monitor, hooked it up and logged in..I was like WTF is wrong...Haaaaaa then i saw snow.

At first it was annoying but then i got used to it..

GJ awesome

A bit too white. Misses some "imperfections" (terrain doesn't display round hits nor explosion black pattern...)

But even PPOs are white so gj. 1 out of 3 campaigns could be in winter

Edited by Zebbeee

A nice Christmas surprise package.  It should be fun for one map (or part of one).  Nice to see the Christmas trees back.  Merry Christmas, Rats122117d.jpg

122117b.jpg

122117e.jpg

122117f.jpg

1 person likes this

I think it would be really cool to build from it, make seasons and have them run by some sort of in game calendar.
Smear the axis dunkelgrau with a bit of whitewash come the winter snows
(No literally, that was their winter camo, whitewash just smeared over the paint, you washed it off or let the spring rains take care of it)

Not sure what the french had, if anything, but whitewash was used by axis and US troops, maybe brits too? Im sure the french could borrow some?

Fall would be neat too.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, merlin51 said:

I think it would be really cool to build from it, make seasons and have them run by some sort of in game calendar.
(No literally, that was their winter camo, whitewash just smeared over the paint, you washed it off or let the spring rains take care of it)

Not sure what the french had, if anything, but whitewash was used by axis and US troops, maybe brits too? Im sure the french could borrow some?

Fall would be neat too.

I would say if a Tier takes 8days you do 2 days for each season. So summer is sunny and clear with a 10% chance of rain, fall is over cast with rain 25% winter would be what we have now and spring would be sunny with 25% rain. Or something to that effect. Since each tier is a year in game.

3 people like this

7 hours ago, merlin51 said:

Actually it's called Fieldgray and it should blend in a lot better then it really does in our game world ( I bet u seen colored pics of German Soldiers in Field. 

Also trees and bushes need a bit of white on them from what I can tell from the pics.

Fall all the Trees should turn into RED ,Yellow and Brown tones that would be neat. 

Let me know when it's gone. The snow is looks half-arsed and the Christmas grenades etc are tasteless. I'm literally embaressed to shew anyone the game just now. What a pity to start the game after the intermission and find this crap. For a day or two I can live with it, but please lose it asap. 

@fiddThe holiday theme is only temporary.

I think the Team did an AMAZING job! Definitely opens the doors (as expressed above).

42 minutes ago, fidd said:

Let me know when it's gone. The snow is looks half-arsed and the Christmas grenades etc are tasteless. I'm literally embaressed to shew anyone the game just now. What a pity to start the game after the intermission and find this crap. For a day or two I can live with it, but please lose it asap. 

Image result for scrooge

4 people like this

1 hour ago, fidd said:

Some peoples attitudes are just embarrassing....

There's a few now starting to express similar views to mine now, in other threads. The game is horrible to play now for at least some of us. I'm all for Christmas, and all for the game, I'd just prefer they weren't mixed, like "Turkey with Trifle on top"; at least not to the point where some of us cannot play the game comfortably for eye-strain. If this had been trialled in Intermission this could have been avoided. As it is, I literally can't play. At the very least perhaps someone at CRS could advise on when this will "thaw" so some of us can resume play.

1 person likes this

I get that this is a holiday theme, but I really think there should be a focus on adding an element of snow/ice/winter weather, at least during various points of each campaign, going forward. Perhaps it needs to be textured a little better or otherwise shaded so that's it's easier on the eyes (to address some of the complaints).

Lots of Western front battles were fought in winter conditions, some of the most iconic photos and footage are from the Battle of the Bulge, for example. Most other WWII games I've played incorporate this to varying degrees. I've always felt that is an element that is missing here. 

However, it would be important to have some winter uniforms (and paint/whitewash) to match, so it would probably be a bit of a project. 

All of my opinions are 100 percent correct, or your money back.

57 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

Some peoples attitudes are just embarrassing....

I couldn't agree more. Oh my gosh the map is white....I'M BLIND!....LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE...lol. Hey guys it called snow, the Rats were just trying to have a bit of fun planned for us... Now go make a snowball or a snowman. If you don't like it, I can turn the snow yellow for you if you want. 

Hopefully in the future we will have more dynamic weather, and winter uniforms, camouflage and all that good stuff. But for right now, I think the snow is a good start. Great Job Rats! 

Adapt, Survive & Overcome. 

Merry Christmas you picky a**holes.

Edited by bmw2
2 people like this

For the record, assuming they can  fine-tune it a tad, like improve contrast on terrine features, and make the map more readable, I would love to see this way more often

Let's call a Christmas Truce , the Axis will bring the presents. 

It would be fun if we all could meet both sides at a neutral place but one knucklehead will always have the urge to fire off his gun.

31 minutes ago, bmw2 said:

I couldn't agree more. Oh my gosh the map is white....I'M BLIND!....LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE...lol. Hey guys it called snow, the Rats were just trying to have a bit of fun planned for us... Now go make a snowball or a snowman. If you don't like it, I can turn the snow yellow for you if you want. 

Hopefully in the future we will have more dynamic weather, and winter uniforms, camouflage and all that good stuff. But for right now, I think the snow is a good start. Great Job Rats! 

Adapt, Survive & Overcome. 

Merry Christmas you picky a**holes.

You need to realise that not everyone still has 20/20 eyesight, or the same graphics cards, or settings therof, monitors or other ambient light. When I say the game is unplayable for me, literally, I mean exactly  that. It's a factual statement, not something I came out with on a whim, I cannot spend longer than about 90 seconds in game without getting appalling eye-strain now, really really  unpleasant, where before I'd play for 4 hours or more without difficulty. If you had that, you'd  be a bit grumpy about it too.

To Zebedee - I agree, I'd far rather they'd have put the terrain back to normal and done "falling snow" instead.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, fidd said:

Sorry you don't like it. However, some of us have been waiting this new "crap"  weather dynamic for a long time. To be honest I hope they keep it until after Christmas or until New Years. The snow isn't perfect, but it is pretty cool, and i'd like to see it built on and toyed with for later use, with things like snowfall and snow camo for troops and vehicles. 

28 minutes ago, fidd said:

You need to realise that not everyone still has 20/20 eyesight, or the same graphics cards, or settings therof, monitors or other ambient light.

Sounds like you need to put some things on your wishlist for Santa. 

The snow is great! The map is unplayable, is usable and generally a really bad idea.  Should have tested that stinker out first! Hope it is corrected soon!

1 person likes this