kareca

Snow in the game - Congratulations CRS!!

53 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, khang said:

The snow is great! The map is unplayable, is usable and generally a really bad idea.  Should have tested that stinker out first! Hope it is corrected soon!

I will agree to this. The in game map needs a minor color correction. I also noticed that when zoomed all the way in some roads were not visible. However, when zooming out you can see them fine. 

45 minutes ago, bmw2 said:

Sorry you don't like it. However, some of us have been waiting this new "crap"  weather dynamic for a long time. To be honest I hope they keep it until after Christmas or until New Years. The snow isn't perfect, but it is pretty cool, and i'd like to see it built on and toyed with for later use, with things like snowfall and snow camo for troops and vehicles. 

Sounds like you need to put some things on your wishlist for Santa. 

Don't misunderstand me, I'm very much for "dynamic weather" too, and in moderation, and properly implemented, would have no objection to snow, provided it is adequatelty tested beforehand so wrinkles like this can be ironed out. Most all of my graphics settings are default, and it's a bog-standard NVidia card, and it's not as if I've "bloom" on, or the gamma wound up to some insane value. I hope we do get snow, the occasional blizzard of the stuff even, I just don't want it to bother my eyes. It's not an observable  "flicker" per se, but there's something about how my eyes deal with the current "snow" appears that is seriously messing with my eyes. White background on a web-page - no problems at all. White game terrain-tiles, HUGE problem.

Just play - deal with it.

You think soldiers even got maps half as good as our snow map in game?

Be sure to put your settings in game to hi graphics mode - gives better shadows and helps with the snow.

Ya - not perfect; but I was in Bastogne earlier today fighting - and it was great!  Felt just like the pictures I've seen of that battle - was great having the snow there.

Heh, we heard the patch was ready and Gervleth told us abot the snow, so Loonie, Saronin, Kat and I all logged in to see the festivities.

It's cute, and cheerful.

Happy Holidays to all.

S!

2 hours ago, delems said:

You think soldiers even got maps half as good as our snow map in game?

Be sure to put your settings in game to hi graphics mode - gives better shadows and helps with the snow.

Ya - not perfect; but I was in Bastogne earlier today fighting - and it was great!  Felt just like the pictures I've seen of that battle - was great having the snow there.

I can't  "deal with it". It really bothers my eyes, like a bloody strobe-light does, except without the observable flicker. About two minutes is as much as I can stand. I'm not epileptic or anything either, nor do I suffer from migraines. Heigh ho, I'll see you in-game in the "Spring".

2 hours ago, fidd said:

I can't  "deal with it". It really bothers my eyes, like a bloody strobe-light does, except without the observable flicker. About two minutes is as much as I can stand. I'm not epileptic or anything either, nor do I suffer from migraines. Heigh ho, I'll see you in-game in the "Spring".

I played for about 30 minutes today and I had to stop too - my eyes were hurting from all the white brightness - Especially from the strategic map - which was even brighter than the snow most of the time.

Edited by krazydog

I don't mind the snow so much as the lack of contrast. The whiteness will make ei much easier to see/spot in a number of situations. I do mind that the map is all but unusable due to the lack of the smaller terrain features, such as tree lines and the like.

Edited by derfflingr

6 hours ago, delems said:

hahahaha I'll remember this the next time you whine about too many SMGs or some ridiculous navy  thing or intermissions being too long. 

When it started actually snowing intermittently in the game tonight, I loved it. I feel bad that it is affecting gameplay for some people, but honestly, stuff like this (weather, in this case) makes the game more interesting to me. Seriously, I think every other WW2 game I've played has snow and winter weather in some fashion, in certain situations. I've kind of been waiting for this. 

With that said, it still needs improvements. The map view situation is bad.. we also need winter camo, etc. And maybe some more shading/texture ... but it's expected there would be some kinks to work through. That's jmho. 

It may depend on video settings, it does have contrast though.
Could use a little more in some areas, but not sure how much is possible, muddy slush along roads would be cool, but might not be easily doable.
Some white wash on the fighting vehicles (dont think they typically bothered with the trucks and non fighting units?) would be cool.
Probably the messier looking the better, most pics i see look like someones kid wiped it on with an old rag.
I didn't get a pic but the foxholes were awesome.

nRq5Un3.png

807mVjY.png

mAp3C4j.png

It needs adjustments. The Mini Map and the big map should stay normal , and not turn into a snowcovered winter wonderland.  

The trees also need some white, the 1st impression I had when I logged in was that the graphics card had a glitch and everything that is ground does not render right, ( but I knew it was snow and not a glitch)

I can't see tracers ,really had a hard time finding ETs which I usually don't have , really had to go by engine sound even when I heard his gun go off ( I did not change anything in my settings)

Also did not see Blood on the ground after shooting an EI ( in my eyes the blood would add a nice touch just like it does in our normal map)

Overall I like it and I hope CRS will work on it, tweak it , maybe work on the color a bit like I mentioned before maybe dirty up the snow a bit .

Merry Christmas to all.

More weather, please. How about using historical weather in the game tied to tiers (years) and the actual calendar? For example, If the campaign starts in March, the game weather should reflect the historical weather March 1940. Tier 1 starting March or April would have the historical weather of March/April 1941 and so on. 

Happy you guys like it... mostly

This was something we came up with without having to invest a lot of coding and just in time for the holidays, it's going to be thawing out soon, I hope you all enjoyed the surprise as much as we did.

Merry Christmas and thank you for your support this year especially

1 hour ago, brady said:

The coolest part of all of this is that there fiddling with the terrain  again.

yup............

1 hour ago, brady said:

The coolest part of all of this is that there fiddling with the terrain  again.

Shhh that's supposed to be un-noticed..

1 person likes this

JEEBUS freaking CRISPY!  Those of you guys complaining about eye strain because you have to look at white on your monitor must not use very many word processing programs or visit many websites with white backgrounds.  SHEESH!  For crying out freaking loudly, go to the dollar store an buy a pair of one dollar sunglasses.  Turn up other lighting, so your monitor is not the brightest thing in the room.  Problem solved.  I'm serious.  I've had a problem with eye strain for years.  I've had to use lightly tinted sunglasses for driving at night, because oncoming cars' headlights would cause eyestrain so bad that my eyes would start closing on their own as if I was falling asleep.  If you can't figure out how to deal with white on a monitor, how do you function in the real world on sunny days?

-Irish

Edited by odonovan1

I have no problem whatsoever looking at a white background on a web-page. If you'd bothered to read the thread, I said so a few posts ago, it's only the white tiles in game that is causing it. Nowhere else. I'll repeat that in case it failed to penetrate. NOWHERE else. I'm coming to think it's something to do with interplay between my ingame FPS, the white colour and other lighting in the room. It didn't happen with the normal terrain, nor with any other game or software I use.

1 hour ago, fidd said:

I have no problem whatsoever looking at a white background on a web-page. If you'd bothered to read the thread, I said so a few posts ago, it's only the white tiles in game that is causing it. Nowhere else. I'll repeat that in case it failed to penetrate. NOWHERE else. I'm coming to think it's something to do with interplay between my ingame FPS, the white colour and other lighting in the room. It didn't happen with the normal terrain, nor with any other game or software I use.

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Outdoor-Sport-Ski-Goggles-Snowmobile-Snowboard-Snow-Protection-Spectacles-Skate-Glasses-For-Men-Googles-Snowboarding-Goggles/32748989250.html?src=google&albslr=224304016&isdl=y&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&source={ifdyn:dyn}{ifpla:pla}{ifdbm:DBM&albch=DID}&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&albcp=757120293&albag=45449013012&slnk=&trgt=90468977554&plac=&crea=pt32748989250&netw=g&device=c&mtctp=&gclid=CjwKCAiAvf3RBRBBEiwAH5XYqOWRtPaZG3cHqoeSZFKhEj6mzqed9z0jIHNqAT1kO5yvVDcsluYCZRoCzPIQAvD_BwE

The blizzard has passed and the snow has melted.. regular theme is back in place. Hope the winter theme comes back in the future with some fixes to it. 

I am thankful to CRS this time for trying out something new. I think this has been a good experience and I encourage CRS to keep being proactive in studying and working the terrain stuff and all other aspects of the game.

It's been a different, fresh view of the game. We are lacking of this nowadays so this has been ok.

I gotta agree tho that the map view has to be better finished. Too bright and harder to read.

I'd put this winter setup regularly to keep adjusting it.

S!

7 hours ago, SCKING said:

The blizzard has passed and the snow has melted.. regular theme is back in place. Hope the winter theme comes back in the future with some fixes to it. 

How about a Xmas in July event?  :P

1 person likes this