fidd

"Startled birds"

15 posts in this topic

If you walk along hedge-lines  in the countryside in Europe - what's left of it! - during daylight hours, from time to time you'll startle birds, usually wood-pigeons, into flight. More often than not they'll wheel in a great circle around you at around 200  yards distance before alighting on a distant tree. If the local farmer gets out his shot-gun, they'll pretty much do the same thing at the first gunshot. After a few rounds of gunfire they'll settle around 3/4 of a mile away; if the farmer is a rotten-shot!  Vehicles on remote roads can cause the same behaviour, and heavy machines such as tanks would definitely cause it, even at night.

It occurs to me that this could be an immersive way of helping defenders get a line on where there's ei creeping about in the undergrowth. Provided "Allied" and "Axis"   wood-pigeons were modelled with "equal anxiety", (armour etc.) <grin> it might work rather nicely in the early stages of an attack to help defenders get an initial bearing on the threat....sometimes. It'd be important to have this as an occasional effect, rather than in every hedgerow in every town. The urban equivalent might be barking dogs?

Pigeons do not generally "startle" after sunset, and are seldom seen in other than pairs in the countryside, unless a farmer has just sewn wheat. Sound recordings of their alarmed flight is no doubt available, which is quite a distinctive sound. Once there's protracted or loud gunfire/explosions, I'd expect them to vanish to all intents and purposes.

Waiting to see what those that you didn't agree with on an atg damage model, as it was a waste of development resource, will have to say on that. :D

1 person likes this

hehe. Unlike the multiple-required-different-atg-damage-models-for-HE/AP/small-arms fire, this actually makes some sense, especially as a counter-moling deal, as the quieter it is, the better it works. Might even create some "mole-hunts"! It could even be done as a "simple" sound-effect.

Let them stick that in their damage-model and smoke it! <G>

Anusiya, last week I'd have bet you we'd see the Bren-Gun carrier before we ever saw grenades wrapped in pink-paper. Frankly I'm no longer going to try and 2nd guess CRS!

I've since found footage of another, presumably similar game to ours that does this:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=startled+pigeon&&view=detail&mid=C0BAB1458CB825899027C0BAB1458CB825899027&FORM=VRDGAR

In my view this is way overdone in this video, it's not usual to see wood-pigeons in these numbers, pairs, perhaps 4 at a push, are far more typical, but you can see the general effect and how it draws your eye to a particular direction. I think this kind of cue is more interesting than say "tracer" as it's more subtle. If it were implemented it might be worthwhile to have the occasional "false positive", as these birds are easily spooked, and often startle for no obvious reason.

The video example was pretty cool, but as Fidd points out, a bit overdone

startled birds, barking dogs, civilians peering out from windows, pedestrians on streets where EWS is not active

cafes, <koff> brothels etc would be very good atmospheric, probably low on resources and disappear during battles

I'm all for it... I just want a nice French girl to share my choc ration with :)

22 hours ago, rotsechs said:

Waiting to see what those that you didn't agree with on an atg damage model, as it was a waste of development resource, will have to say on that. :D

I would not say "waste" the concept itself is cool.
You are sitting there watching out for anyone coming to sap the fb, it's boring as hell, you are about to fall asleep nearly.
Suddenly BOOM birds start fleeing the hedgerow making you suddenly mess your shorts.

I would say it is not doable in any kind of short term because the game does not appear to display that sort of "awareness"
The birds etc would need to be the same for all persons in the area, or it would be weird, so you need some kind of server side dynamic environmental AI thingy of some sort.
You wouldn't just want every bush a bird fest or soon there would be nothing dramatic about it.

Not sure how easy it would be at all to put something like that into the current game, sounds like something you'd add to the 2.0 list so it can be built in at the very beginning.

Merlin "gets it", although I titled the thread "startled birds" it should more properly have been titled "startled players"!  There you are quietly worming your way on the your belt-buckle alongside a hedge to a favoured sniping-spot when a departing pair of pigeons explode out of the hedgeline to alight in a distant tree. You freeze, hoping that no-one noticed.

(300 yards away the enemy sniper adjusts his scope.....)

Or the pigeons could  be coded to ignore slow movement  such as crawling, but be alarmed by engines, shots, low-flying aircraft, infantry running etc. In many ways it'd be the perfect game-mechanic, as if such environmental "alarms" are varied and almost infinitely tinkerable-with to get the right sort of cue for players in game, for a range of game "problems" such as moling, pre-camping, fb's being blown etc. Better still, as pigeons leave area that alarms them, you can soften or cease the alarm effect as the AO gets "busier".

mmm 'rabbit and pigeon casserole', cooked in a slow cooker for hours and hours....

Air-rifles are best for wood-pigeons else you're spitting out shot all the meal, but you've got to get then with a head-shot.

This reminds me of when a dovecot was put up where I lived in my twenties. Initially no doves took a blind bit of interest in it, but eventually two pure white doves took up residence, along with one half-dove/half wood-pigeon (they interbreed). I named them:

"Faith", "Hope" ..... and "Lunch"! (in a nod to the 3 Gloucester Gladiators which defended Malta)

Edited by fidd

On 12/24/2017 at 7:39 PM, merlin51 said:

I would not say "waste" the concept itself is cool.

I didn't say this idea was a waste of anything. I was referencing to Fidd calling a popular desire to see an anti tank damage model as a waste of development resource. You probably commented on that thread.

Fidd understood.

On 12/24/2017 at 0:01 PM, Pittpete said:

LOL....lets get someone on this right away..

This will attract tons of new players:P

hahaha this made me spit coffee out of my nose.