• Announcements

• PITTPETE

NEW Career Subscriptions now available   06/08/2019

The all new highly anticipated / requested "Career Based Subscriptions" are available through www.WWIIONLINE.com/account only, starting at $9.99! There are three new subscriptions being added; 1) All Infantry at $9.99/mo, 2) All Air Forces at $9.99/mo, 3) All Ground Forces (Army Persona) at $12.99/mo. Continue reading to learn more and get back into the fight now! View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com
vasduten1

Switch to UR4

176 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, vasduten1 said:

We'll see after the audits are in. I'll keep an eye on my inbox.

If it works the HE audit isn't going to change much except allow tanks to clear AB bunkers by spamming HE through the windows. Almost every room has an opening to lob shells through, and every building in game was designed before the game had working HE so it will be hilarious to watch. ATGs and fixed guns like the stug or the char's hull gun might get a small buff.

6 minutes ago, XOOM said:

It's not that simple though... we're going to have to get ourselves into a position where can realistically develop a new product, with limited funding capabilities. The goal is, to create a product that sets the baseline for 2.0, but is more achievable with the resources that we have. The intent being, grow that resource pool, garner more support for a 2.0 release with the general market and get it funded (well funded) through a Kickstarter type goal.

This sounds a lot like the last team's "Rapid Assault".

1 minute ago, david01 said:

Anything that doesn't sound exactly like 2.0  sounds like Rapid Assault to you guys, this is to be expected and why I have tried to let everyone know the current path of WWIIOL continues on and is doing well :). Yet here are all of these other posts about these new hot and flashy games, some more than just flash now.

A key difference being we're not sacrificing ANY of our dev resources from WWIIOL to consider that additional path to increasing our options.

1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, XOOM said:

Well this has been an interesting post. Right now we have two things to factor in to the planning here at Cornered Rat Software, and it really falls under at this point my purview and the direction I am setting for the team.

I am in the process of building a second development wing here at CRS. Its focus is to create newer gen artwork and beginning the process of laying the foundation pieces to get into the Unreal Engine. 

The current development team of WWII Online, which I call "Wing 1 of CRS," will continue down its current track and we have a 2018 Roadmap we're preparing to share with you.

Our ultimate long-term mission is  to do what ever is necessary to keep WWII Online alive and build a bridge to the future. The people we have working on WWII Online right now (like you and me) are die-hard fans and want to see it go on. The people who will be joining the Second Wing of CRS will be focused on the creation of content which will be shareable by the entirety of CRS, so that when we are in a position to get 2.0 rolling there's a lot of content available.

CRS will remain a hardcore realistic war gaming company, and we'll continue to work in the realm that we're most familiar with which is World War II. Our ultimate mission is the longevity of WWII Online. My personal goal is to create a product that remains true to the hardcore realism that we see in WWII Online, that the modern market is more acceptable of, all the while creating the content for the next iteration of WWIIOL and getting people seasoned in the UE4 engine, and laying down the foundation for a proper launch both technically and financially.

I hope that doesn't scare anyone, as I should re-enforce that we're bringing on new people for Wing 2 and the team will continue to grow and get better at Wing 1. Our 2018 roadmap will demonstrate quite clearly that we've got a lot coming. More than that, our development and production pipeline looks incredibly strong for the beginning of 2018 as well to back all of that up.

So again,  we'll have two simultaneously wings under CRS and both are working towards the longevity of WWIIOL and are both working to help one another succeed. That's the best I can do with the cards we have to work with, and I hope I have your support and encouragement.

S! 

I have always liked what I've been hearing from you and the team, but just can't justify paying a sub for a game that, in its current state, gives only frustration and has only a weak connection to how the weapons actually performed. I've waited, and paid, and well... I have to sit back for a while.

I don't mind paying extra for things, and will easily drop $170 on a solid pair of hiking boots. However, those boots will last a few years and give me great value.

I want to see this game move forward and continue to be the giant scale map it is now, but with all of the goodness that comes from an updated platform. 

Speaking to, "true to the hardcore realism that we see in WWII Online" Hmm... maybe true to the promised realism we keep hearing about in WWIIOL but as it stands, and as it's been, I see no realism.

That might be a tough pill for many to choke down here, but that pill simply has GOT to be taken here so that the gameplay doesn't continue to suffer.

Quick scenario:

Would you rather have a WWIIOL grenade thrown in your room or a REAL one?

That's easy. Anyone who know how the grenades in WWIIOL behave knows that the grenade will probably not even make it into the room, and even if it does, it's not gonna hurt you if you are five feet away.

Come on, man... something has to improve if WWIIOL is going to be able to sustain a paying playerbase so that a 2.0 roadmap can even begin being laid out.

28 minutes ago, david01 said:

That's the last thing I want, for the record.

42 minutes ago, rotsechs said:

Matt (xoom).

I would happily accept no new toys, no vehicles, whatever, in the current game in exchange for all dev to go into version 2. 

Me too.

I'd have been happy not to have SPAA if work was being done on a better and more modern platform for the game.

I'm aware that not ALL dev can go to that end, but I'd have been less inclined to bail if I knew it was actually being worked on in lieu of new toys and say... "snow".

I'll be waiting and watching as many others will be doing, too.

3 hours ago, vasduten1 said:

I knew it was actually being worked on in lieu of new toys and say... "snow".

I know you were not fond of the snow, and no one said it was perfect, but it is a proof of concept
Aside from fun or silly holiday things (Pumpkin Nades anyone?)  it proves that they can make seasonal or conditional changes to the game world.
Perfected seasons would be nice, and perhaps there are other things that could come out of that as well? Localized or conditional changes or some sort.

On 12/29/2017 at 11:56 AM, vasduten1 said:

Wow, area capture, a map that is won or lost in stages and in assaults and it's on UR4.

It's got almost ALL of what WWIIOL offers, but in 4kmX4km sized fights at a time.

That's the game that plays and looks very very much like Rapid Assault was planned to be.

Unfortunately, too much of the community badmouthed the Rapid Assault project, and the funders concluded that it wouldn't be marketable without the support of the community.

Sometimes it seems as if we don't know what we want.

3 people like this

The way I figure it is that if Shakespeare can conjur a battle on 20 square yards of stage, then I can suspend belief if the graphics are rather dated on our "stage". It is, an amazing game in so many ways, that personally I'm  not over-bothered about graphics provided the FPS is good. I'd rather see new units for the time being, and better tools for HC, OIC and ML's, in particular for the OIC to have the ability to add various "friendly" icons on the map, and have his orders permamantly visible to all ML's to or at that town. This would revolutionise the game, as all ML's would attempt to conform to the OIC's plan, and all players to their ML's orders.

The ability for the ML to call for particular units to spawn on his mission being absolutely required, to make MLing a mission less cumbersome.

Rather than the current situation where missions are basically just a gate to spawning in.

On 12/29/2017 at 4:56 PM, vasduten1 said:

Wow, area capture, a map that is won or lost in stages and in assaults and it's on UR4.

Sat photo maps, realistic weapons performance... I think this looks and feels GOOD.

Currently tanks and infantry, but planes are coming sooner than CRS will have an HE/KE audit implemented.

There's a command aspect of HLL also... directing observation posts, garrisons and the like.

It's got almost ALL of what WWIIOL offers, but in 4kmX4km sized fights at a time.

Still a campaign.

Still an ongoing battle sim and though you can't fly the whole map, why the hell would anyone WANT to?

To go drop bombs on a factory 20,000km away?

Come on.

Looked at a few videos of that. Small maps but it looks fantastic.

That would draw me away from here if it had tanks. 

11 hours ago, XOOM said:

It's not that simple though... we're going to have to get ourselves into a position where can realistically develop a new product, with limited funding capabilities. The goal is, to create a product that sets the baseline for 2.0, but is more achievable with the resources that we have. The intent being, grow that resource pool, garner more support for a 2.0 release with the general market and get it funded (well funded) through a Kickstarter type goal.

Going straight from what we have to a 2.0 isn't really feasible at least for the foreseeable future. So, if we can get that process started now with a new dev wing while our current guys continue to make improvements and keep the ship healthy, I think that's the most intelligent thing we can do to not lose opportunity and time.

We're really blessed to have the support of the community and the people (volunteers) on our team btw. We wouldn't be able to keep this up if it wasn't for you all. We have to do some pretty amazing and bold things to get what we want and ride into the future.

Response appreciated. 

1 hour ago, rotsechs said:

Looked at a few videos of that. Small maps but it looks fantastic.

That would draw me away from here if it had tanks. 

It has tanks. More to come.

Vas, your a cool guy but you seem to be in the middle of some kind of WWII Online breakdown?

A few weeks ago you were "lets just give them a chance" and now you want blood,.LOL.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

Vas, your a cool guy but you seem to be in the middle of some kind of WWII Online breakdown?

A few weeks ago you were "lets just give them a chance" and now you want blood,.LOL.

Maybe the "snow" set him off? :lol:

2 people like this

12 hours ago, fidd said:

The way I figure it is that if Shakespeare can conjur a battle on 20 square yards of stage, then I can suspend belief if the graphics are rather dated on our "stage". It is, an amazing game in so many ways, that personally I'm  not over-bothered about graphics provided the FPS is good. I'd rather see new units for the time being, and better tools for HC, OIC and ML's, in particular for the OIC to have the ability to add various "friendly" icons on the map, and have his orders permamantly visible to all ML's to or at that town. This would revolutionise the game, as all ML's would attempt to conform to the OIC's plan, and all players to their ML's orders.

The ability for the ML to call for particular units to spawn on his mission being absolutely required, to make MLing a mission less cumbersome.

Rather than the current situation where missions are basically just a gate to spawning in.

One can only suspend disbelief against so unwielding a tide, and only for so long.

26 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

Then the news reached me that HE/KE was being pushed out yet again... which to me is crucial to having a decent game.

24 minutes ago, blkfalcon said:

Maybe the "snow" set him off? :lol:

Yes, it felt like a punch in the gut.

So much to do, and with such limited resources... and then that.

Sure, there was time to add those things, which made people NOT play, cute as it was.

Sad, really.

3 hours ago, vasduten1 said:

Sure, there was time to add those things, which made people NOT play, cute as it was.

Sad, really.

The snow thing was really low hanging fruit in terms of time invested overall, it really wasn't a big deal and we were intentional in not investing too much there. Just hang tight there's a lot more stuff coming here very shortly in 2018. S! 

3 people like this

One can only suspend disbelief against so unwielding a tide, and only for so long.

Sure, there was time to add those things (...)

This whole thread reminds me of the latter part of the Rapid Assault project, when some community members began attacking the project for not being more comprehensive and for getting done too slowly, and for not assigning model builders and server coders to speed up the client code work and map development even though the skill sets are different, and for not keeping the giant map even though that was a fundamentally required change to get performance improvements in the near term and to prepare the game to be moved to a different engine in the long run.

Edited by jwilly

1 hour ago, XOOM said:

The snow thing was really low hanging fruit in terms of time invested overall, it really wasn't a big deal and we were intentional in not investing too much there. Just hang tight there's a lot more stuff coming here very shortly in 2018.S! 

Just keep at it XOOM along with the "crew."  Maybe have a sunglasses warning next time snow comes into game. :)

We need emotes back though ;)

And Poofy pants for mission leaders (which should be extra points for a kill btw). Harrrrrr........!

Happy New Year.

S!

2 hours ago, jwilly said:

and for not assigning model builders and server coders to speed up the client code work and map development

That sounds like assigning me to date your girlfriend for you.
It might be funny as hell to watch, but it isn't going to end well at all.
And you come out on the losing end.

On 12/28/2017 at 7:59 PM, pbveteran said:

@vasduten1

On the short term the only possibility is working on WW2ol you can actually make money here and players can play game.. there are many small things that would improve significantly the game.

Focusing just on unreal would not provide any results that could be enjoy by players and would be just bleeding money.

I think the current direction is the only viable direction.. I hope @XOOM is trying hard to build a 2nd team if I was him I would be contacting devs working on other WW2 titles like traction wars since that project is in lukewarm water for years and they are using Unreal(Edit Cryengine actually) and had nice 3d assets or modders on games like Redorchestra.

There are people with passion but they need to fight the right project to be passion with and of course they would expect a cut after release.

Yup...agree...unless they found an investor that needed to risk some serious dough, a more likely scenario is to partner with a small development house that has the technical know-how but doesn't have a viable project and trade dev time for equity in a 2.0 version

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Elfin said:

And Poofy pants for mission leaders

does not want

Everyone goes out of their way to kill the guy in the weird hat and poofy pants

7 hours ago, XOOM said:

The snow thing was really low hanging fruit in terms of time invested overall, it really wasn't a big deal and we were intentional in not investing too much there. Just hang tight there's a lot more stuff coming here very shortly in 2018. S! 

I'll have my ear to the ground, for sure.

I do love the game, just not the experience it gives currently. I shouldn't have presumed to just make a suggestion to move to UR4 not having been involved with the development or management of the game in any capacity so far. 

Points taken away for being  brash on my part.

So, my apology is in order and I'm sorry for being sort of a [censored] about this. I've always been emotionally involved in WWIIOL, and just felt let down in a big way, moaning in the forums as usual.

Sorry, guys.

But!

You  have to admit; This thread delivers.

I rate it five stars.

1 person likes this

LOL, bro

Happy New Year to passionate WWII Online fans

Only good things to come in 2018...

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, merlin51 said:

does not want

Everyone goes out of their way to kill the guy in the weird hat and poofy pants

As it should be :)

Let them try :lol:

S!

Rapid Assault worst idea ever in WWIIOL history, period.  It took DEV time and $$$ away from the game. 

I was arguing with Greni back then he was an absolute fan boy of it and he kissed the old CRSs A$$ and defended it with utmost stubbornes . 

And today he won't even give WWIIOL another look. Why does he matter you ask well cause he was CO of the biggest German speaking squad the PLD and about 95% of these players left with him.

German speaking squads are virtually none existing in game now . In the hay day there were 3 to 4 big ones in time zone 2 and 3 .

He was also a RAT that got taken away and someone did ban him for some reason (as far as I know), I think that did not help either .

1 person likes this