• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
vasduten1

Switch to UR4

176 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

Biggest waste of DEV time was the China project...Just saying

Hindsight is always 20/20 everyone is always a genius.

Had it panned out better and worked out as a decent income source everyone would be applauding it

3 hours ago, dre21 said:

Rapid Assault worst idea ever in WWIIOL history, period.  It took DEV time and $$$ away from the game. 

The idea was that it would bring in money from another sector of the gaming community that won't generally come to this sector.
There are a butt load of people in that sector that want small box shooters with scenarios etc where they can play their favorite map etc.
if there were not, there would not be DOD, BF1942, COD, MOH, BF1, RO, and countless others.
Could have been a way to build new tech for this game and have someone else fund it.

4 hours ago, rotsechs said:

See ya then ! Lol

If you want somebody to crew with I will be around ;)S! 

5 hours ago, merlin51 said:

Had it panned out better and worked out as a decent income source everyone would be applauding it

This was in response to RA being the worst decision.

Just as a reminder... RA's funding (massive majority being investor based) was essential to continuing CRS 1.0 before the big crash of 2012. Despite the large amount of criticism, it was essential to also building the 1.35 code base, US forces and newer equipment before we got into our post-crash Gridlock that has taken us a lot of time with new people to re-figure out and build upon.

We need to get over that and quit playing the blame game and be open to what ever it's going to take to ensure WWII Online goes on. Please wake up! It does not mean we're going to do anything to hurt the game but we've gotta start thinking very seriously about what we need to do to enhance our future and options. THAT should be everyone's concern here.

2 people like this

20 hours ago, Pittpete said:

Biggest waste of DEV time was the China project...Just saying

That too, both combined RA and China were like the nail in the coffin, luckily we had volunteers to step in when the old Rats left. 

I hope Xoom that all that u envision will make it in game and it keeps going. 

Just don't let your Rats turn into the old Team , and by reading the Cap Locks. Thread I'm not so sure that ,that has not already begun. 

1 hour ago, dre21 said:

That too, both combined RA and China were like the nail in the coffin, luckily we had volunteers to step in when the old Rats left. 

I hope Xoom that all that u envision will make it in game and it keeps going. 

Just don't let your Rats turn into the old Team , and by reading the Cap Locks. Thread I'm not so sure that ,that has not already begun. 

WWII Online will continue to have active development without interruption. A core consideration to anything moving forward is that, because we are aware of the past, and its consequences.

That being said, we cannot be wishful thinking and not actually do anything. We must act. Do you at least agree on that? Because if we don't act, nothing will change. If we are afraid to evolve and forge the path to the future, we will fall even further behind. Guaranteed from my birds eye perspective of this whole thing.

1 person likes this

I'd be more than happy to get on comms btw with anyone who is interested to learn more and get some reality checks about what's happened over the last 8 years. Just let me know.

43 minutes ago, XOOM said:

I'd be more than happy to get on comms btw with anyone who is interested to learn more and get some reality checks about what's happened over the last 8 years. Just let me know.

DOC spent the money from subscriptions on Hookers and Blow?  Just a guess.

3 hours ago, saronin said:

lol wow I read through this entire string of posts and it ended with this....

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, budder8820 said:

lol wow I read through this entire string of posts and it ended with this....

hahaha 

That old chestnut.

I don't think DOC was up to no good, for what that's worth. His forum presence was um... well... 

He's always been nice to me though. I asked him last year about how to proceed with writing and he gave great pointers.

He gets a bad rap. 

There were plenty of other things going on with CRS in that period that Xoom has mentioned he'd be glad to clear up in voice chat. 

Really, I do like the current crew.

Genuinely.

6 minutes ago, vasduten1 said:

hahaha 

That old chestnut.

I don't think DOC was up to no good, for what that's worth. His forum presence was um... well... 

He's always been nice to me though. I asked him last year about how to proceed with writing and he gave great pointers.

He gets a bad rap. 

There were plenty of other things going on with CRS in that period that Xoom has mentioned he'd be glad to clear up in voice chat. 

Genuinely.

Don't burst my bubble.  Hookers and Blow was the only way I could rationalize the M10 sight.  Don't ruin that for me.

5 hours ago, XOOM said:

WWII Online will continue to have active development without interruption. A core consideration to anything moving forward is that, because we are aware of the past, and its consequences.

That being said, we cannot be wishful thinking and not actually do anything. We must act. Do you at least agree on that? Because if we don't act, nothing will change. If we are afraid to evolve and forge the path to the future, we will fall even further behind. Guaranteed from my birds eye perspective of this whole thing.

Someone is giving you bad advice. It's going to take at least six months to put together a tech demo in UE4 just so you guys have something to show off for a crowdfunding campaign that may or may not succeed. That's assuming that you've already built a sufficient team of volunteers and won't need money just to get the tech demo point. During this time you're going to have to do double the PR work as you market your new project while simultaneously keeping your existing users from bailing on WW2online (which you're admitting is a dead end).

UE4 is a great engine but it's also made everything more competitive as it's empowering everyone to pursue their small projects, so your small project is going to have to beat the other ones. Just a five-minute search tells me that the guys behind the other titles mentioned in the thread have been at it since 2015-ish and March 2016; modders that know what kind of game they want. One of games is not only using the UE4 engine but apparently the base code from Squad, so they're going to be spending even less time on their core systems and engine and more building their game. 

Xoom don't misunderstand me I'm fully in your corner.  

But like I said reading that a player gets warned by a Rat cause he tries to rally his troops and he used all Caps on the side chat is overboard. Getting a forum warning by one of your Rats and he outlines the forum rules while all I did was to respond to a clear provocative post by another forum user . And when I Pm'ed said Rat and asked him if he warned that player too I got nothing in return . So my guess he did not get warned . If u want to know more pm   me . A simple yup he got warned too would have been sufficient.  

17 hours ago, david01 said:

Someone is giving you bad advice. It's going to take at least six months to put together a tech demo in UE4 just so you guys have something to show off for a crowdfunding campaign that may or may not succeed. That's assuming that you've already built a sufficient team of volunteers and won't need money just to get the tech demo point. During this time you're going to have to do double the PR work as you market your new project while simultaneously keeping your existing users from bailing on WW2online (which you're admitting is a dead end).

UE4 is a great engine but it's also made everything more competitive as it's empowering everyone to pursue their small projects, so your small project is going to have to beat the other ones. Just a five-minute search tells me that the guys behind the other titles mentioned in the thread have been at it since 2015-ish and March 2016; modders that know what kind of game they want. One of games is not only using the UE4 engine but apparently the base code from Squad, so they're going to be spending even less time on their core systems and engine and more building their game. 

We'll be building a new wing at CRS. That new wing (wing 2) will be charged with creating new assets and paving the way on UE4. At some point, when the time is right, the probability is these two wings will intersect to begin the building blocks of a future WWII Online.

Wing 1 (our current team) will continue doing what it is doing, and be prepared soon for our Roadmap that I intend to publicize this month (we're still ironing out all of the WWII Online dev plans for this year).

I didn't say this was going to be easy or not take time. While the WWIIOL dev continues, we need to start the path of building the future. To do this, yes, we're going to have to get aggressive and start that path, which will undoubtedly take time. But it's necessary that we do so. 

I'm not sure if I can say anything that will change your general perception of not feeling well about this David. I really wanted to have some stuff in order before talking about it, but I also wanted to communicate a little bit to make sure folks were a bit prepared. The best thing I can suggest is to know that WWII Online's current trajectory will continue to improve (this is core to our success) and that I need to start building up this second team because history has demonstrated consequences for neglecting things here. I DO NOT PLAN TO REPEAT THAT. Please have faith, S! 

2 people like this

6 hours ago, dre21 said:

Xoom don't misunderstand me I'm fully in your corner.  

But like I said reading that a player gets warned by a Rat cause he tries to rally his troops and he used all Caps on the side chat is overboard. Getting a forum warning by one of your Rats and he outlines the forum rules while all I did was to respond to a clear provocative post by another forum user . And when I Pm'ed said Rat and asked him if he warned that player too I got nothing in return . So my guess he did not get warned . If u want to know more pm   me . A simple yup he got warned too would have been sufficient.  

Dre, I don't focus too much on in-game or community management these days, it's better for me to be a little detached from it (and welcome honestly). Those guys have the hardest job here. I've heard of this and I believe it is an effort to better emphasize those who are in HC and to spread the word more effectively. If you want to discuss this and provide more feedback, I do advise contacting our Game Manager "OHM" at ohm@corneredrats.com. I am not personally involved in that call.

S! 

11 hours ago, saronin said:

Oh Saronin... this will never die off will it? The answer is no! :) 

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, vasduten1 said:

Genuinely.

I do mean it, still. Let me know when and where / who wants to hear.

16 hours ago, dre21 said:

And when I Pm'ed said Rat and asked him if he warned that player too I got nothing in return . So my guess he did not get warned . If u want to know more pm   me . A simple yup he got warned too would have been sufficient.  

Out of respect for player privacy, we don't (and won't) share TOS violation history with anyone.

Though there are admittdly a few who would wear a high TOS count as a badge of honor.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, XOOM said:

Oh Saronin... this will never die off will it? The answer is no! :) 

Pity. It’s how I explained the M10 sight being wrong for 10 years and the 10 year 109 flop. Without the hookers and blow it doesn’t really make sense. 

Edited by saronin
1 person likes this

10 hours ago, XOOM said:

Those guys have the hardest job here.

They do. 

From what I gathered in that particular thread, it wasn't JUST the use of caps... It was a combination of content and spamming in caps.

I don't believe for a second that he was issued a warning just for using caps.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, merlin51 said:

It would have worked as just a subscription based game - instead it was the Chinese who demanded it to be a micro-transaction game. I think you have but if you have not gone to their website the Number 1 complaint I saw was the pay to win complaint.  Most of them where by the Chinese "allied" forces who complained that the people with the money played Axis and buying Tigers... because they where more bang for the buck. And because they where more bang for the buck more people played axis.  If they had kept the subscription based play like us, I bet it would have been a success.

10 hours ago, XOOM said:

We'll be building a new wing at CRS. That new wing (wing 2) will be charged with creating new assets and paving the way on UE4. At some point, when the time is right, the probability is these two wings will intersect to begin the building blocks of a future WWII Online.

Wing 1 (our current team) will continue doing what it is doing, and be prepared soon for our Roadmap that I intend to publicize this month (we're still ironing out all of the WWII Online dev plans for this year).

I didn't say this was going to be easy or not take time. While the WWIIOL dev continues, we need to start the path of building the future. To do this, yes, we're going to have to get aggressive and start that path, which will undoubtedly take time. But it's necessary that we do so. 

I'm not sure if I can say anything that will change your general perception of not feeling well about this David. I really wanted to have some stuff in order before talking about it, but I also wanted to communicate a little bit to make sure folks were a bit prepared. The best thing I can suggest is to know that WWII Online's current trajectory will continue to improve (this is core to our success) and that I need to start building up this second team because history has demonstrated consequences for neglecting things here. I DO NOT PLAN TO REPEAT THAT. Please have faith, S! 

Thanks for the upfront responses and outlining the 2 Wing planning. Sounds smart. 

Not that the games are the same at all, but there's an interesting dev/funding model for big projects like WWIIOL 2.0/EU4 with Shroud of the Avatar from Richard Garriott (Lord British/Ultima Online). Its been in full dev /playable alpha for 4  years, $11M raised via kickstarter and in game pre-purchase cosmetics (houses, dungeons, titles, etc for which read squad depots, spawn points, skins etc) with a team of 30 developers/programmers. Going through similar hiccups with their Steam Early Release reviews/reactions as well. 

A brief summary of the money part is here: https://kotaku.com/richard-garriott-reassures-shroud-of-the-avatar-backers-1795774769