• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
vasduten1

Switch to UR4

176 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, XOOM said:

We'll be building a new wing at CRS. That new wing (wing 2) will be charged with creating new assets and paving the way on UE4. At some point, when the time is right, the probability is these two wings will intersect to begin the building blocks of a future WWII Online.

Will this UE4 project start with the European campaign as we know it now...........?

24 minutes ago, bmw said:

Will this UE4 project start with the European campaign as we know it now...........?

There's a high probability of that at this time because it's what we know and have the most experience in. It should also allow us to easily merge the two projects together when the timing is right. But we'd like to keep our options open for additional theatre sets. 

will UE4 have the same tick rate problems PUBG has? and are you guys dead set on UE4?

it's good for 8-32 players but at 64+ only a few engines really shine

it also has bad long range rendering and annoying pop-in solid objects

2 hours ago, stankyus said:

It would have worked as just a subscription based game - instead it was the Chinese who demanded it to be a micro-transaction game. I think you have but if you have not gone to their website the Number 1 complaint I saw was the pay to win complaint.  Most of them where by the Chinese "allied" forces who complained that the people with the money played Axis and buying Tigers... because they where more bang for the buck. And because they where more bang for the buck more people played axis.  If they had kept the subscription based play like us, I bet it would have been a success.

I actually have an account there, wanted to see what they were doing, but for me the latency is too much and i cant understand a lot of their forums, translator does a terrible job on it. 

Pay to tiger is a horrible decision on their part.
I could not figure out exactly what i was supposed to do with the coins earned myself.

Their supply is weird too, maybe that is also for sale?

Shame none of the income migrates here

7 minutes ago, major0noob said:

will UE4 have the same tick rate problems PUBG has? and are you guys dead set on UE4?

it's good for 8-32 players but at 64+ only a few engines really shine

it also has bad long range rendering and annoying pop-in solid objects

This may get laughed at but Unity does exactly what the game requires it to do
It was built because there was nothing suitable at the time to beg borrow or steal.

Not that it would be trivial to do, but since unity already works and works very well if you keep in mind that something's were made as they were because that was the limitations in hardware etc one had to work with at the time, i wonder if it is worth exploring writing unity 2.0?

Visually it may be old looking, and could use some modern optimization, but there is a huge amount of stuff that unity does right because it was purpose built to do this.

46 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

I actually have an account there, wanted to see what they were doing, but for me the latency is too much and i cant understand a lot of their forums, translator does a terrible job on it. 

Pay to tiger is a horrible decision on their part.
I could not figure out exactly what i was supposed to do with the coins earned myself.

Their supply is weird too, maybe that is also for sale?

Shame none of the income migrates here

Yah I think we just sold licenses. I used to have the forums and web page bookmarked but its been years since I went there.  I think BAR played on their severs also, that's who I got the links from. Do they still even play it over there?

I have to laugh though... yah "Pay to Tiger". I am fortunate though, my daughter reads, writes and speaks Chinese.  If its still around mb I should get her to translate.

7 minutes ago, stankyus said:

Do they still even play it over there?

Oh yes, they are still up and running

I had absolutely no idea the Chinese version or servers were so different.

That's a bit facky to me... but then, China has its own set of rules and cultural expectations, etc.

10 minutes ago, vasduten1 said:

I had absolutely no idea the Chinese version or servers were so different.

That's a bit facky to me... but then, China has its own set of rules and cultural expectations, etc.

Do they yell China number one on their own servers?

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, saronin said:

Do they yell China number one on their own servers?

Of course they do.

Also, backpacks.

Level THREE!!!!!

I remember the Chinese invasion well... groups of greentags standing around not talking to anyone due to a language barrier and absolutely NO cohesion from the 100 or so Chinese players that bothered.

Discussing China at this stage is a waste of time to be quite honest... we could be more productive in our discussions.

5 minutes ago, XOOM said:

Discussing China at this stage is a waste of time to be quite honest... we could be more productive in our discussions.

Backpacks are far more important haha

On 1/3/2018 at 1:13 PM, XOOM said:

Will this UE4 project start with the European campaign as we know it now..?

There's a high probability of that at this time because it's what we know and have the most experience in. It should also allow us to easily merge the two projects together when the timing is right. But we'd like to keep our options open for additional theatre sets. 

Key parameters for a second theatre would be:

• Different fighting look-and-feel from WWIIOL:BE, but encompassing the same time period and not involving different combatants so as to decrease the modeling workload to roll out the campaign.
  • Reasonably small fighting area. Building a huge-area map is hugely time consuming.
  • Able to be built with existing mechanics.

The "Afrika Korps and Italian Army vs. British/Commonwealth" fighting in North Africa in 1941-42 would fit this very well.

Reasonable German and British fighting sets could be adapted from existing models with only some texture changes. The list of needed models for a good game realism-feel would be short, and compatible with the development direction for BE, i.e. a starter Italian set, the Universal Carrier, maybe a few others. 

The proposed map is about 125miles E-W and 75 miles N-S, so it's easily big enough for interesting air gameplay and some naval gameplay. In some cases. airfields might be off-map. The modeling work could be minimized by slowing off-track movement via roughness-drag, and limiting such movement via supply rules.

The existing western Europe map was built from an 800m x 800m terrain tileset of about 64 tiles. I think a similar tileset could work for this part of Libya and Egypt, but a better solution would combine an 800m x 800m tileset and a 50m x 50m tileset, to allow better modeling of the limited amount of escarpments and rough terrain that are so significant in this area.

The existing game design includes the FB concept to minimize long, boring drives. The FB concept would be a perfect fit for 1941-42 North Africa, where there were essentially no battles in the middle of nowhere. Battles were almost always in the vicinity of a relatively small number of significant terrain features or line-of-communication intersections, because fighting forces could not move or attack without a current supply line and supply could move only along the Coastal Road or the inland "tracks".

It would take about 30 chokepoints to reasonably model the territory in the Mechili-Derna-Halfaya triangle of northeastern Libya.

Here's the 1940-42 area of fighting:

WWIIOL%20North%20Africa%20Battle%20Area_

The color-outlined box is the envisioned combat map.

And here's the combat map detail, with the Coastal Road, the tracks, and the 30 historical chokepoints:

WWIIOL%20North%20Africa%20Battle%20Area%

Edited by jwilly

Say, wasn't there already some of the North African map already developed with BE's art and models?

Wasn't that already in the can like 6-8 years ago and on the sly?

Pretty sure I heard about that and saw it was a different game by some of this game's developers but I can't find the link now.

I remember it caused some problems at CRS, but that was because it was sneaky and an attempt to make a new game only in N Africa.

So I guess some of that art and map got stored somewhere?

Good. An extra theater would be nice.

22 minutes ago, vasduten1 said:

Say, wasn't there already some of the North African map already developed with BE's art and models?

Wasn't that already in the can like 6-8 years ago and on the sly?

Pretty sure I heard about that and saw it was a different game by some of this game's developers but I can't find the link now.

I remember it caused some problems at CRS, but that was because it was sneaky and an attempt to make a new game only in N Africa.

So I guess some of that art and map got stored somewhere?

Good. An extra theater would be nice.

It would be a good idea to have an extra theater in game. It would help split up the overwhelming population numbers. 

1 person likes this

Mindful of the current ETO map "misbehaving" when opposing sides become concentrated into too small an area, towards the end of a campaign - hence the 95% of towns for campaign win rule - would it not make sense to extend the map east beyond El Alamein rather further? (Very  cool work by the way)

Also, for N Africa to be a success, then some means of "digging in" and camouflaging infantry and ATG positions is a must.

It would also be very cool if asymmetric problems beset the various sides. So, the British forces should have the LRDG/SAS for (very occasional) interdiction of German/Italian supply, much stronger naval units. The Germans have initially superior armour and ATG's but a perennial supply problem as they move east, and the poison-chalice of reliance on Italians as allies. British tanks should improve over time with Grants and Shermans, and have greatly superior artillery. On the plus side, the Germans have 88's, qualitatively superior Luftwaffe, initially superior tanks, with a sprinkling of "Mark IV specials" (Mk IV F2) which will be pretty formidable to take on with British armour until the Grants and Shermans came into play.

It'd be a truly fascinating additional fighting area.

1 hour ago, saronin said:

It would be a good idea to have an extra theater in game. It would help split up the overwhelming population numbers. 

Hahaha

How will the six Axis players in Discord divide up so as not to overwhelm the Allied advance in an unfair way?!?

I guess as long as they don't send three over during TZ3 it'll be ok.

On 03/01/2018 at 7:13 PM, XOOM said:

WWIIol 2.0 could remain a unique large persistant world, but it could have smaller "CP areas" in different parts of the world

A campaign would become a succession of those areas (chronogically):

• 1. Allies (France, UK) vs Germany - (BELGIUM : River, forests and clifs)
  • 2. France vs Italy - (ALPS : mountains)
  • 3. Germany vs Russia - (RUSSIA : large open fields)
  • 4. UK vs Axis (Italy and Germany) - (NORTH AFRICA : Desertic)
  • 5. Allies (US, UK) vs Germany - (NORMANDY FRANCE : Beaches and green fields)
  • 6. Russia vs Japan - (CHINA)
  • 7. US vs Japan - (JAPAN : Islands)

While a map is ongoing, the other parts of the world could remain available in a "training" mode without capture (or offer new game modes, more hardcore vs more scenario-based, or with AI armies to fight against), with a reset as soon as it becomes the official battle area.

Edited by Zebbeee

8 minutes ago, Zebbeee said:

The WWIIol 2.0 could indeed be much smaller maps but in different parts of the world. A campaign would be the succession of those "phases" :

• 1. Benelux (France, Belgium, Holland, Uk) vs Germany - (BELGIUM '40 : summer map with River, forests and clifs)
  • 2. France vs Italy - (ALPS : summer map in mountains)
  • 3. Axis vs Russia - (RUSSIA : Winter map with large open fields)
  • 4. UK vs Axis (Italy and Germany) - (NORTH AFRICA : summer Desertic map)
  • 5. US vs Germany - (BELGIUM '45 : winter map with River, forests and clifs)
  • 6. US vs Japan - (JAPAN : summer map with Island)

Intermission : All nations available on a random map

Sounds an awful lot like Rapid Assault to me. Wasn't that the purpose of RA , different scenarios / scenery. 

3 minutes ago, dre21 said:

Sounds an awful lot like Rapid Assault to me. Wasn't that the purpose of RA , different scenarios / scenery. 

Corrected my post while you posted, I didn't want to mean a RA concept at all, still keeping the large world but activating different areas at a time.

2 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

Corrected my post while you posted, I didn't want to mean a RA concept at all, still keeping the large world but activating different areas at a time.

Now you know what I deal with :) 

Tunisia and the Surrounding area would probably be best, it’s more densely populated so there are more towns and the Americans could be added

5 hours ago, saronin said:

Image result for sarcasm alert gif