actonman

Death of Forums

72 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, delems said:

***  understanding of a 4 billion line project

Hardly, nowhere near 4 billion lines of code, just saying.

At 4 billion lines of code we could have almost 173 REAL F-35s in game. That would help the allies a lot. 

Image result for 4 billion lines of code

with the cost of the allies new F35, RDP cost would lower each flag to a rifleman; and each div gets a rifle to share between the 4.

better make it a musket

and they're all naked

36 minutes ago, Lob12 said:

Well he's a mod so whaddaya expect? ;) 

you counted em? 

there's not 4 billion.

28 minutes ago, B2K said:

there's not 4 billion.

No one trusts what the apparatchiks say though ;) 

Its probably 5 billions then! 

1 hour ago, delems said:

***  understanding of a 4 billion line project

Hardly, nowhere near 4 billion lines of code, just saying.

You still cant get quoting to work right?

nitpick, you said code, i did not.
Not everything is code, it still counts
Im sure its lots

3 hours ago, Pittpete said:

Honestly thats a slap in the face to all us volunteers who dedicate their free time to keep the game going.

You have no facts but opinions. You know what they say about opinions? 

Are there any full-time employees left or is everyone some kind of volunteer? I ask this seriously because the response to any issue now is to volunteer your time and fix it yourself. I've worked on volunteer projects and I've seen both the upsides and downsides of utilizing volunteers. By far the biggest negative is that vols don't react well at all when their work isn't up to snuff. This happens whether it's lines of code or community relations. Sometimes nothing can get done because no one wants to step on anyone's toes.

The OP's suggestion that the main website be stripped of all the useless filler is a good one. Have the webmap, then links to the forums, news and wiki. The Steam release is over so it's a good opportunity to try changes. If you want to promote the game you're better off having fresh youtube gameplay videos rather than loads of images and bullet points on the landing page anyway.

Forums could be cut down to a few. If you want to keep the old forums around put them under an "archives" section and disable all posting. In addition to streamlining and fostering interaction it will be easier to manage one wall (the builder forum) rather than having free, free but requires registration (the bug forum), a members section and a builder forum. When it comes to online forums it's far better to have one that moves too fast and results in some lost discussion rather than one that moves too slow and has no participation.

Just now, merlin51 said:

You still cant get quoting to work right?

Been telling him that for the last 10 years or so hahaha. 

1 minute ago, david01 said:

Forums could be cut down to a few. If you want to keep the old forums around put them under an "archives" section and disable all posting. In addition to streamlining and fostering interaction it will be easier to manage one wall (the builder forum) rather than having free, free but requires registration (the bug forum), a members section and a builder forum. When it comes to online forums it's far better to have one that moves too fast and results in some lost discussion rather than one that moves too slow and has no participation.

Need to delete the "F2P" forums and make everybody come back to premium discussions. 

Edited by Lob12
1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, david01 said:

I ask this seriously because the response to any issue now is to volunteer your time and fix it yourself.

He has a point here.  I have seen this response more than once.  You may volunteering but other people are still paying.  The game is a business not a charity.  

It's easy to tell someone to fix something you think would make the game better, so why shouldnt you be able to help out if you have all the answers?

Cut out the middleman.

Put up or shut up.

49 minutes ago, saronin said:

He has a point here.  I have seen this response more than once.  You may volunteering but other people are still paying.  The game is a business not a charity.  

1 hour ago, david01 said:

Are there any full-time employees left or is everyone some kind of volunteer? I ask this seriously because the response to any issue now is to volunteer your time and fix it yourself. I've worked on volunteer projects and I've seen both the upsides and downsides of utilizing volunteers. By far the biggest negative is that vols don't react well at all when their work isn't up to snuff. This happens whether it's lines of code or community relations. Sometimes nothing can get done because no one wants to step on anyone's toes.

The OP's suggestion that the main website be stripped of all the useless filler is a good one. Have the webmap, then links to the forums, news and wiki. The Steam release is over so it's a good opportunity to try changes. If you want to promote the game you're better off having fresh youtube gameplay videos rather than loads of images and bullet points on the landing page anyway.

I think it'e pretty obvious by now that if we didn't have a staff composed mostly of volunteers, we might not have a game. We definitely wouldn't be releasing new content. It's that simple.

This game is a business, but the only financial backing is the players. 

Archive the old forums? Which forums would you suggest we archive?

1 hour ago, Pittpete said:

It's easy to tell someone to fix something you think would make the game better, so why shouldnt you be able to help out if you have all the answers?

Cut out the middleman.

Put up or shut up.

I am paying for a service here.  CRS is the one that needs to put up or shut up.  I am either happy with that service or I am not.  Period.

1 hour ago, david01 said:

wow. whoever said earlier that the people who got tired of trying to whine the game to death have given up and moved on to whine the forums and website  to death is right. why not go all the way, folks,  and try to convince the world that WWII itself was a gigantic russian hoax? 

Image result for wwii is a hoax

2 hours ago, saronin said:

You may be volunteering AND YOU are still paying.

I think it goes more like that

2 hours ago, david01 said:

Forums could be cut down to a few.

Well i have a feeling if people are losing their favorite area, they are going to vote out your non subscribing area first.
Our forums already are simple, they aren't overabundant with useless sections, if one can not navigate them, one may perhaps have other issues.

1 hour ago, GVONPAUL said:

Archive the old forums? Which forums would you suggest we archive?

Fine, go ahead, archive the orange forums :( 
But i don't want to hear no complaining when you can't find the latest Sixxo post.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, saronin said:

I am paying for a service here.  CRS is the one that needs to put up or shut up.  I am either happy with that service or I am not.  Period.

Yes, you get to play the game....;)

2 hours ago, merlin51 said:

I think it goes more like that

Not any more it doesn't.  I have two days left.

2 hours ago, Pittpete said:

Sorry to hear that...We'll see you when you come back

S!

We'll see.  Depends on how historically accurate Hell let Loose and Post Scriptum are.  Either way I'll take a look here again when the vehicles here are all reset to historical specs.

20 hours ago, saronin said:

We'll see.  Depends on how historically accurate Hell let Loose and Post Scriptum are.  Either way I'll take a look here again when the vehicles here are all reset to historical specs.

I'm really looking forward to Hell Let Loose.  

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Capco said:

Me too brother. 

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Capco said:

I know a couple of Tactical Realism Units / MILSIM Units that are pretty excited for this game. So there will be some good orginized units in this game right off the bat. It certainly looks pretty cool. However, I never keep my hopes up until I see some in depth game-play and Early Access on steam. Then you need to pray they don't get lazy after Early Access. 

Edited by bmw2

On 07/01/2018 at 8:20 PM, B2K said:

a) At the time of the original post I wasn't a community developer. You know that of course as it's mentioned in the thread prior to your post. 

b ) At no point did I advocate for it to become a 'feature' - or even actually be used.  Please don't make stuff up

c ) If you look at my others posts in that thread - I make it clear what the intent was. ( http://forums.wwiionline.com/forums/topic/407037-intermission-idea-operation-old-school/?do=findComment&comment=6212986 ) - you of course probably did but still decided to use it out of context.  

You mean you were chosen to be Community manager between July and August it's just feels wrong that someone who is chosen to that position pulls the perma ban card so easily one month before being CM for a silly intermission, I never remember MM pulling the perma ban card.

I think it would be easier that you admit it was silly or poorly taught out and that was a mistake and just move on.. CM should build bridges not make excuses.

I have nothing against you just seem appropriate to point out a sort of hypocrisy in my pov.