fiambre

Different Smoke color

11 posts in this topic

Not sure if it would be very hard to implement, to let the players decide the smoke color.

Could be interesting to distinguish foe and friendly smoke, or to let squads have their own color or to mark enemy somehow for air bombing or such...

!S

1 person likes this

I wouldnt want a techicolor rainbow of smoke all over the battlefield.

White - for cover

Red - mark for bombing target or similiar

Something like that would be enough.

This was brought up a while ago and as I recall there was a lot of support for it

Edited by brady

Smoke color was used by every main-power army in WWII for tactical signaling. Officers and noncoms widely carried "signal pistols" or "flare guns", and a bandolier or belt-case of different signal cartridges for fast access. That capability was used, not just for marking enemy or friendly positions, but also to indicate "go", "stop" or a phase-action for a tactical action, or as a warning or notification to a separated unit. Smoke was used during bright daytime, flares and other pyrotechnics at night and at dusk/dawn. There also were "bang" and whistle cartridges. All the cartridges, especially the sound-signals ones, were designed to be also auto-fireable from a post-mounted "gun" connected to a tripwire or some other actuator.

I think it was common to have six or more colors. I've heard of yellow, orange, red, purple, blue, green. That way you could choose a color combination during tactical planning, and the enemy was less likely to be ready to immediately fire off a tactically misleading signal at a nearby but significantly different location.

Also widely used by light naval forces (mostly coastal craft, to signal each other), and by aircrewmen to signal during radio silence.

And of course there also were illumination/incendiary flares, used to illuminate the enemy at night.

fallschirmjager.jpg

Among this German fallshirmjager group of ten men, at least five are carrying such a pistol.

Here's a German belt case:

sacNVA4.jpg

Just an illustration, but realistic for a tactical command officer:

obltsj7.jpg

The Germans had (and probably other armies had something similar) a bright-colored-"star" pyrotechnic round with a six position selector. After a delay, it ejected a combination of red and green burning elements. The selectable combinations were:

3 red, 3 green

1 red, 2 green

3 red, 1 green

1 red, 3 green

2 red, 2 green

2 red, 1 green

Juillet_32015.jpg

LPAA3.jpg

And, the Germans (always willing to devote engineering resources to creating a bewildering variety of questionably useful weaponry) had small HE/frag rounds for their later flare pistols, for direct assault use; and, rod-mounts for full sized hand grenade heads, with necessarily a shorter range than for a flare, but nonetheless potentially useful in an assault; and, special HEAT rounds for the later pistols, capable of killing light or even medium tanks if  you were sufficiently desperate.

"Egg" grenade:

leuchtpistole_withwk361.jpg

HEAT grenade, with special sight fitted to pistol:

avec_g10.jpg

Two "egg" grenade heads, one "potato masher" grenade head, one HEAT grenade:

EnsembleGrenade.jpg

German pistol with folding shoulder stock...the rod grenade systems had a lot of kick:

leuchtpistole_sturmpistolewithwk42lp.jpg

sturmpistole.jpg

All of these flare pistol oddities were unique to the Germans. Everyone else just used rifle grenades for these tasks, more successfully. The Germans though had three different development labs for ground weapons, and sometimes not a sufficient amount of sharing of good designs between them, and only the shutzstaffel lab managed to come up with good HEAT rifle grenade designs by war's end. Everyone else muddled along with the amazingly lethal, amazingly hard to use magnetic HEAT mines, and these flare pistol weapons, and dinky rifle grenades, and HEAT weapons that had to be hand thrown.

It is historical correct it would add imersion and gameplay to the game and as far as I know only one game implement this and that was RedOrchestra if I'm not wrong the Africa mod yet because of the small maps and few players per battle it wasn't useful.

Very interesting information although I don’t see it being useful here 

15 minutes ago, Zebbeee said:

Very interesting information although I don’t see it being useful here 

Communicate throwing red smoke at enemy .. aircraft and tank friendlies would more easily understand what's there.

Cannot see any reason why at least the different colour smoke grenades/mortar shells cant be implemented.  Opens up more tactical use of smoke. Perhaps bring it ingame with the CS armor coming?