• Announcements

• PITTPETE

NEW Career Subscriptions now available   06/08/2019

The all new highly anticipated / requested "Career Based Subscriptions" are available through www.WWIIONLINE.com/account only, starting at $9.99! There are three new subscriptions being added; 1) All Infantry at $9.99/mo, 2) All Air Forces at $9.99/mo, 3) All Ground Forces (Army Persona) at $12.99/mo. Continue reading to learn more and get back into the fight now! View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com
    • CHIMM

18th Anniversary Event Awards!   06/23/2019

This year we are giving out trophies and awards for the top players during the "Kill a RAT" event! We need the following players to contact @CHIMM at chimm@corneredrats.com with your physical address to mail these out.   @mook2  @dasei88  @c00per  @kardehk  @chau90  @kdped02  @Simcha  @pulfer  @bus0    
fidd

Converting F2P to P2P

8 posts in this topic

I'm not sure exactly how the steam F2P accounts were arranged, but I gather they were limited to certain classes of infantry and a limited number of AFV's.

Suppose that in future F2P steam accounts be operated on the same principle, for the first 3 months, but that at the end of the 3 months, they be given a month of unfettered access to all units, subject to rank, as per a paying player, afterwhich it reverts to the limited units as now.

This might well help Steam players translate from a F2P account, to the normal paid-for unlimited account, but reducing the problems of very inexperienced players burning through high-value items in the spawnlist, and also avoiding giving them too many units to learn from the word go.

Or, maybe they could pay a fixed amount per month to use just one type inf they realy liked, like:

SMG- $2 for 30 days

STUG- $3 for 30 days

FLAMMENWERFER- $5 30 days, free refills...

But I think, from what I have Sean posted in the past the past the billing system will not allow for this ?

Interesting idea, but I would suggest keeping it simpler has the benefit of not creating situations where people can misunderstand what they've bought were they to "incrementally" subscribe, which just takes effort to sort out, and may create a "bad smell". Giving people something free for a limited period is less likely to create issues, I would surmise.

Rise of Flight (A WW1 air-combat sim) had an interesting payment model, where you paid a one-off fee for each aircraft, and likewise mods you could apply to them.

IL-2 does something similar at present u can buy "collector" planes and extra campaigns , but I think again theirs something going on with the billing system that does not allow them the flexibility to do this sorta thing ?

I mean think of the coin they could generate if the added the Firefly or Panther and charged 5 bucks a month to use it...

Keep ur fingers off the Stug . IT'S not for sale . :)

But it would cause issues there are only so many certain type of Tanks in the spawnlist. And if these players pay for it then they will expect it to be there. This in turn would turn into pay to win .

Imagine they pay for Tigers , CRS will have to have them available.  I doubt that one side wants to see 50 Tigers rolling into town , or vice versa in Tier 0 , 50 Matildas.

Edited by dre21

3 minutes ago, dre21 said:

Keep ur fingers off the Stug . IT'S not for sale . :)

I think the idea would be if you had a full paid subscription, monthly, like most of us do now, you would get everything to play with for one low monthly fee, but if u are F2P, u could if, u were on a budget, get access to specific kit by purchasing access to just that item.

Or- (and), monthly players could buy access to special items like a Flamethrower or a Jadgepanther, so crazy lethal kit, for a few extra bucks a month, or a one time purchase to allow it to be added to your monthly kit...

Edited by brady

dont like that that is pay to win when you can buy special stuff just cuz you have a bigger paycheck thats war thunder and maney games out there S!

2 people like this

Hi,

I have never been a fan of FTP in this type of subscription model. FTP is a tool that most developers use to lure a customer in for micro-transactions to either enhance or personalize their experience. I'm OK with micro-transactions in games, just not this one. As stated earlier in the thread, the issue with charging for access to a piece of equipment means that it has to be accessible upon purchase and that does not work well with the supply model we have in game.

FTP combined with subscriptions can be done but there is almost always some kind of buff involved. So we have a game that has a FTP model and the only buff you get for paying is access to more equipment models subject to availability within the games current supply condition. It just makes no sense to me, but I'm not running the company. I prefer the free 30 day trail period that automatically converts to the lowest subscription unless the user cancels the account beforehand.

I get that "no credit card required" is compelling and gets people to sign up for FTP accounts that may convert to a paid subscription. I do wonder what the conversion ratio is but I suspect it is pretty low. Now you have users that most likely do not have credit cards or should not be using their credit card for a monthly subscription. If a customer has enough interest to look at the game and not having or not wanting to use a credit card is holding them back, the odds are that they cannot afford to put the sub on there even for a trial period or they do not have a credit card. STEAM being a different animal as you can pay through your STEAM wallet but still you have to get the prospective money from somewhere if you WANT to subscribe. Most customers, not all but most, have no intention of getting a subscription unless there financial condition changes.

FTP does not change the fact that it is most likely personal financial reasons and not so much the lure of the games more powerful equipment. I could easily drop down to FTP since my main unit is the rifleman and save myself some cash and still enjoy what  the game currently offers. I could have done that when FTP came out. I mainly pay for future development and I'll live with that decision as there are no guarantees. Other developers are starting to realize that there is a reasonable market for a realistic WWII simulation and they are running down the pike aimed right at WWII Online. I'm sure CRS is aware of this. I think sometimes we do not give them enough credit for what they do on an ongoing basis of looking at what else is out there in comparison.

I kind of get why we went to FTP when we did but I'm not so sure it should remain that way. You should have to pay to play. There is something to be said for creating value for  your product. I would love to see CRS revert back to a demo period which gives some meaning to having achieved rank. Unfortunately that would be a heavy storm to weather since the STEAM release is over. I've seen developers change the pay model before though and with relative success in the long run if managed properly with the community. It's currently just one of the oddest financial models I've ever seen. I also wonder how many curious starter subscriptions CRS may have lost out on during the STEAM release in comparison to how many they converted after the free period from the way they did it. I hope it all works out for everyone.

2 cents,

S!

P.S. I just fully realized that STEAM players got a 30 day trial and FTP in the end. That is some good hard data for CRS on how attractive FTP is in comparison to PTP and more access, giving them an informed decision on any changes to the financial model.