kgarner

AHC is unimaginative.... and the lack of communication/knowledge of the game is annoying 1/10/2018 11:17 pm east standard time

52 posts in this topic

kgarner does have a point, somewhat.

The new AHC bunch have there own idea's on what should be done, it's far from the old days, Dfadd's moves would've been understood very quickly and managed, not so today, no blame can be found, different times that's all.

and 'NO' even with experienced AHC 9 out of 10 wouldn't push the factories.

I wouldn't, I prefer overstocking so I have mucho equipment to kill the lederhosen sheep shaggers alot, over and over again, I prefer the anvil over the sneak...

But Kgarner, a mile in my shoes;)

2 people like this

The real issue is the lack of players who actually give a damn in the different time zones. I was online and screaming for a mission in a spawnable to no avail in an EMPTY TOWN was let's just say disheartening. If you know me I was a little more forthcoming in my disgust in game. One FMS that in certain TZ have 232 driving STRAIGHT TO IT over and over again..is a little ... annoying.

For a push out to be viable it needs to be coordinated with the different HCs and work with the population at the time. A simple attack on an important town down south that was left TOTALLY unguarded because of a lack of foresight totally screwed momentum up. We see it from both sides time and time and time again.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, kgarner said:

2 divisions and 6 hours are plenty of supply and time to soft cap 15 towns...... no risk.... no reward.  The bait for the axis to cut off the 2 divisions north of Antwerp is whatever..... let the axis have it..... that would leave 2 allied divisions technically cut off if the axis capped threw north of Antwerp..... who cares..... allies only have to soft cap 15/20 towns before axis is cut off from the factories..... 6 hours before those 2 divisions are booted off the map (right?).  15 mins to move the brigs and HQ pure town that's 225 mins / 360 mins before divisions are booted..... leaving 135 mins for caps and unexpected delays.  Even IF supply ran out in those 2 divisions before the factories were cut off..... oh well, finish the rest with para's.... its only soft caps.  Even if this attempt FAILED MISERABLY the map is enough of a choke point between Brussels and Antwerp that the allies would have a pretty decent shot at holding the line there even with 2 divisions off the map and Axis still connected to their factories.  To many people are stuck in the old way of thinking.....  adapt or die

Sorry, I have to confess: I facepalmed reading this. 

1 person likes this

LOL I think I understand enough of it to be confident in bringing up the subject..... there aren't enough technicalities to make the subject irrelevant (evidence is found in the fact that you even commented here).  Give or take 5, 10 hours or even 2 days of time..... there are plenty of variables to make what I was talking about work.  Whether its good for the game or not..... that's a very good topic.  Whether or not the plan is possible..... well that isn't relevant either.  I'm not the one that put this plan into action, it was the AHC commanders online at the time.  I agreed with their logic, the spirit of innovation, organization, and player-base-morale-influence that was behind the idea and action that resulted in the strategy that took place.  We had a ton of fun putting this plan into action.  The end result should have been different is my main point here.  

The wider subject here is whether or not strategies such as this are good for the game.  Obviously not, if the allies had cut off the factories then Dfadd would be a hero.  Another map would be over way too quickly.  Player numbers would plummet for at least a few days.  Yet again tier 2 and 3 would have just been a desired dream..... etc

Given that these facts are relative (as is punctuated by B2K - a Rat - commenting on the topic) to the most recent game dynamics.... is well concerning.  Adding brigs, divs, and the whole flag supply system have basically made the game, as a whole, less fun by the logic B2K has summoned.  1) the supply system creates a need for soft caps.  Yet soft caps are not very much fun for the player base.  2)  One of the basic concepts of even having the current supply system is to create the possibility of cut off's and there for soft caps.... but none of this is of a positive influence on the game in total.  3)  It is obvious that the system is very complex and creates a dynamic where HC's have to be very fluid in their communication and strategy les the player base suffer.  4)  The complexities of the supply system are above the average players head (possibly even the average HC's head).  When game dynamics are more complicated than most of the players can/care to understand...... the totality of the game suffers.  Most players want to spawn fast, get lots of kills, and win..... and that's pretty much it. lol

Cap..... This is a computer game bro lol it's not that complicated.  I'm not gonna sit here and say I know everything or even more than many of the HC leaders...... I don't, that is very obvious.  My issue is with game dynamics..... and lack of communication and planning when it comes to HC (Of both sides honestly.  This just happened to be an allied issue specifically this time)

1 person likes this

TO be honest I'm just (one of) the web guy(s)... but

- Used to be no limit on type of AO placed, but, both HC's would place only soft cap AO's - often - which lead to a  bleed in player numbers citing 'lack of action' - so the correction was limiting # of AO's on towns without an enemy in or linked to it.  While at time 'softies' are necessary, and can be fun, after more than a couple players start to log off and lose interest.  

It is a computer game, and because of that it is complicated.  Real world you win the fight by outflanking or outfighting your enemy.  In game you can do that as well at the strategic level, and have rousing success by 'winning the map fast' but the P v P experience suffers.  As a result #'s drop. 

agreed..... but there seems to be an obvious contradiction here?  The goal is for a computer game to be fun.... the most fun possible.  Yet the current dynamics foster tactics that do not support that concept.  Wasn't the whole idea of the current supply system to create and foster the idea that cutoffs would be a "fun inducing" new addition to game dynamics...... yet it seems to have proven the opposite to be true..... given that soft caps, cut off units, and therefore quick campaigns all create a less fun gaming experience in total?

4 hours ago, erasmo said:

Sorry, I have to confess: I facepalmed reading this. 

I facepalmed on Feldmarschall Von Softkap. 

Image result for wwii facepalm

1 person likes this

I for one disagree with the OP.  The last few camps saw a HUGE response from Allied defenders and I regularly comment on this.  The Allied HC has as hard a time as the Axis HC in that getting the players to join AO's is tough.  We can place attacks all day long and move flags but in the end if the players don't support the AO or DO then it will never change.

S! to the hardworking Allied players.  

Except Cabby.  He kills me a lot.  lol

1 person likes this

Geez,

This thread reminds me why I rarely play anymore, not that anyone cares really.

I thought @XOOM's goal was to make threads like these irrelevant. Softcaps...seriously. HC dictates and affects everyone else's  game content, explicitly? Join HC to solve the problem? Seriously?

Please tell me we are not trying to keep things the same or even same-ish with the new supply and command model? I would prefer to see leaders naturally and organically lead from the field not behind some .commands.

S!

20 hours ago, merlin51 said:

I would like your idea if you take the word CAP out of it

I'd be cool with paras being able to mess with the supply lines, cut supply, but not be able to effect a change of ownership.

Like they can hold a depot, as long as they keep guys in it and the depot would go white flagged, if they leave it, the depot slowly begins to return to its normal state.
AB would never be valid during that kind of operation.
And perhaps no AO be needed

Something like that would be cool, as long as you can't just flat out go own the stuff and you have to maintain physical presence.

Snow or just grass?

I have brought that up a few times already  (in the suggestion ,game idea forum), make major RR stations , Ports and Bridges , even AF behind the lines  strategic targets for Paratroopers . 

So they could occupy them ,slow supply or shut down an AF , give these Paratroopers a small FMS (simulate glider drop) with spawnable ATG and small AAA (limited numbers ) also limited numbers of troopers per FMS . 

It would open up the game world , the strategy aspect of the game,promote the use of Paratroopers , behind the line action ( not only Frontline and softcaps) 

Make certain capture points on said targets(  I outlined )that only Paratroopers could capture  ( and all it will / would do) is slow supply. 

How the other side would deal with them ,would be totally up to them ignore it and deal with slower supply or take it back .

The only one that would be an exemption would be the AF . There would need to be a 2nd table or a radio on the wall that only Paratroopers could capture , it would shut down the AF from being able to spawn Planes till taken back by the other side.

The potential that is being left out of the game alone with that person group alone is staggering in my eyes. 

Disclaimer I have no clue if this is all code-able or even possible cause I have no experience in or how to develop a game . But alone with that person alone ,it's a shame that all they can and get to do is softcaps and drop over towns with an AO to make an impact.

***  2 divisions and 6 hours are plenty of supply and time to soft cap 15 towns.....

Actually, this is false.  Front line move timers are 1 hour- so, forgetting the first and last towns, it's going to take you about 13 hours to move across the map.

You cant do [censored] in game with axis being able to come in early morning and cap whatever they want lost 16 towns yesterday  including brussels from 1 link then allies fought all day from 6 links and couldn't retake brussels... see the problem???

@kgarner :  The maneuver warfare game has been dummied down to slow the effects of a real breakout.  First the behind the line timers were shortened to 15 min to allow a defender more time compared to 1 hour front line timers;  this allows more time (faster moves) for a defender to pull back and plug a hole.  Next, the no softcap rule during 1 AO periods which is now 8 to 10 hours a day.  Third, longer cap timers to slow the time it takes to "roll" a town during an overpop breakout.  Those things specifically have been implemented by CRS to slow the map down and prevent a breakout or a run to factory towns.  The reason:  the real effect breakouts have on the rest of the campaign.   Almost never does the receiving side of a breakout come back to win a campaign. 

Most breakouts 10 towns or further away from a factory will never make to factory before being too stretched and vulnerable to cutoff.  Especially when you have only 12-14 hours a day of 2 AO's.  The last couple Axis breakouts took 24-48 hours to complete. That's a lot slower then when they could happen in 6 or 8 hours.    So always a risk of starting something as a map oic that you can't finish.  The "vision" you had when you left is usually totally tossed aside by time you log back in....

Morale is such a huge part of the game that is almost in no one can control.  Everything contributes to very high or very low morale.  Fact is when your side is taking towns comms are high, vets thinking ahead of the map oic on FB's and pre-camps, etc.  things move along like a well oiled machine and most importantly I think players player longer.  Stay in game longer or log in earlier.  An all that contributes to a high pop breakout or roll.   

The opposite effect happens when finding a TZ3 roll after you worked so hard to take or hold a TZ2 target.  That hurts morale no matter who's side it happens too.  Jokur and the allied TZ3 crew rolled in TZ3 for 3 maps when dfadd was CinC.   I got up earlier (for TZ3 play) or stayed later from TZ2 just try and help but a low pop roll is a low pop roll.  

So smaller pushes that force pullbacks or small cutoffs happen more often.  With brigades routing in 6 hours after cutoff and returning from training in 6 hours instead of the 12 and 12 - the effect of losing a division or even too is usually pretty minimal.   Brigs can be manually moved to training after cutoff if the are below 50% infantry strength (used to be 10%).  Returning divisions from training can destroy any cutoff plan or factory push.

Imho allies need to hold Maasricht line area before they look for north factory push or risk too high for cut.

S!

3 people like this

I'm not sure why the game even has flags anymore if losing a flag is so catastrophic and everyone hates softcaps.

1 hour ago, malvoc said:

You cant do [censored] in game with axis being able to come in early morning and cap whatever they want lost 16 towns yesterday  including brussels from 1 link then allies fought all day from 6 links and couldn't retake brussels... see the problem???

I agree on the first part but last night was wasted beating our heads on Brussels....

On 1/12/2018 at 1:51 AM, sorella said:

I facepalmed on Feldmarschall Von Softkap. 

Hmm strangely i got hungry

Totally not a Field Marshall uniform... but funny.

And there is no General Field Marshall rank.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, delems said:

And there is no General Field Marshall rank.

Wha?

August von Mackensen was ranked a Generalfeldmarshall.
so was Eduard von Böhm-Ermolli and Werner von Blomberg.
I dont think any of them had icecream on their heads though?

Wehrmacht_GenFeldmarschall_1942h1.png

1 person likes this

Hmm, I do see several references to the General Field Marshall rank now.

Must be the navy side confusing me.... 'Großadmiral', that or we just use the shortened name Field Marshall.

KGArner is frustrated, but it's understood that AHC made the right decision (this time). But the real problems are somewhere else, i guess. Malvoc is more right than others imo. You had 12 vs 3 brigs at Bruessels and slight overpop for allies. Respect to axis players, but for a player, who is committed allied it's i guess frustrating and the opposite of healthy for the game after three campaign losses, every axis should get that. It goes both ways. The whole notion that the game is just more realistic than other games is not helping at all and wrong. I still do think that Xoom has a better overview over things. He probably knows that many proposed solutions are too short sighted.

The problem is that too many people get pissed off too fast in this game. I have encountered it so often, that i want to thank people for their effort, especially noobs and they are not online anymore. Predicting the future is hard and most people do get it wrong. I'm going out on a limb and say the removal of flags is greatly overrated. The input of steam users, occasional players or other noobs should be taken much more into account. Don't laugh about them, look at the negative steam reviews and work on solutions. You have opels crash after a 20 minute ride, i already slowed down, and you can't get it up again. Guys you don't have friendly fire or artillery, this game may be more realistic but it's objectively still unrealistic, there is no point in making it extra hard in so many ways. Some of the players are extremely good and noobs should have more options too compete effectively, maybe just with more outside of combat options as was proposed often. If you lose you should at least have great graphics too look at, i think this would help as well.

Edited by ebert100
1 person likes this

Back in the day, and I'm going back probably 5 or so years here, I had run the map for a number of hours, and had the opportunity to break through the north and on to the factories after some really very poor moves by the GHC. The map would have been over in a matter of hours.

Instead, I placed the AO's (we had more than 1 available then!) down in the south, and went on a beddy race with my squad. I still remember the Allies screaming at me for not exploiting the obvious mistakes made by our esteemed opponents, and the TS conversation with the CinC at the time (I was "disciplined", lol).

Today; older, wiser, and within the HC orbat once again, I would do exactly the same thing as I did then.

That doesn't make me unimaginative. I'm simply looking to provide the player-base with large-scale battles that they'll remember, tell their mates about, and keep logging in with a smile on their face.

That doesn't sound so bad, does it?

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, poker said:

That doesn't make me unimaginative. I'm simply looking to provide the player-base with large-scale battles that they'll remember, tell their mates about, and keep logging in with a smile on their face.

That doesn't sound so bad, does it?

How does one get disciplined for opting to create the most amount of fun rather than a quick boring win?