brady

A stop gap for town based supply

8 posts in this topic

My understanding is that the biggest part of the   Town-based supply concept is that every town will be able to defend itself that there will be no more soft capping.

So why not just add one or two extra divisions to each side, say two divisions for the axis,  and one each for the French and British that would help to fill up the map and slow it down but it would still be flexible.

An alternative suggestion might be a few independent brigades, say 4 for the axis and two each for the British and French.

my thinking is they could be independent inf brigades, with a lighter inf component and a slightly btr armoured allotment than a normal inf brigade.

just for a bit of variety

1 person likes this

*** An alternative suggestion might be a few independent brigades, say 4 for the axis and two each for the British and French.

Good idea.  And, make it so the independent flags may not move into a regular flagged town (just an empty town) - but regular flags can move into an independent flag town... this will help keep from using the single flags as extra supply in the middle.  Rather, they will be used on the flanks or behind the lines as reserve.

Note:  if squads had their own flag, wouldn't this effectively do the same thing? (but no move restrictions on squad flags)  Though, squad flags would prolly have a lot less supply than independent reserve flags.  But, there would be more squad flags, so it might work out.

Yup I agree never understood why the flags number was so limited it slows the game forces to eye hawk and mimic the enemy brigades movements...(boring)

Having more brigades would allow to have more reserves which would reduce the impact of not having HC online and a more capable defense to some extend.. I think it would make the game more dynamic and less stale.

I believe each town along the front (2 towns deep) should have nominal defensive capabilities regardless of whether there is an HC-run division/Brigade present----perhaps (to scale) battalion-sized, most likely INF and towed weapons only.  This would allow for more attack AOs, give freedom of manuever to both attackers and defenders, increasing replayability and variability of map moves in the bargain.

I also think Division/Brigades' getting their full numbers back should be tougher, to make costly attacks have an actual cost/consequence/risk.  (Perhaps that is a different discussion, though).

As much as I understand the risks involved in allowing a partial return to the 'old days', the current gameplay is almost wholly a series of battles of attrition----WWII was also a war of maneuver---deep thrusts, and counter-thrusts that the current iteration cannot truly account for.

S!

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:04 AM, brady said:

My understanding is that the biggest part of the   Town-based supply concept is that every town will be able to defend itself that there will be no more soft capping.

So why not just add one or two extra divisions to each side, say two divisions for the axis,  and one each for the French and British that would help to fill up the map and slow it down but it would still be flexible.

An alternative suggestion might be a few independent brigades, say 4 for the axis and two each for the British and French.

my thinking is they could be independent inf brigades, with a lighter inf component and a slightly btr armoured allotment than a normal inf brigade.

just for a bit of variety

I like this idea a LOT, not least because the work required to achieve it would go a long way towards having greater differentiation between different brigades, via the mechanism of having company-sized units of (for example) engineers, AT infantry, ATG's, heavy armour  and so forth able to be attached at campaign start to full brigades. Thereafter they'd simply form an augmented TOE for the Brigade to which they're attached. So you might have infantry Rifle Brigades, augmented with ATG's, or an Armoured Brigade augmented with APC's etc; to being a little more variety to proceedings. As these would be attached for the duration of a campaign, or longer if not changed, there would be no addition to work for HC.

Just make it so you can only have brigades in a town equal to the number of Army Bases and no brigade movements into a contested town. Maybe add a limited spawn list to all other towns or towns 2 links back. 

10 hours ago, three said:

Just make it so you can only have brigades in a town equal to the number of Army Bases and no brigade movements into a contested town. Maybe add a limited spawn list to all other towns or towns 2 links back. 

You may want to think about that, consider say Antwerp. It'd be impossible to move a Bde into if only one cp, anywhere in the city, were enemy owned.....