pbveteran

Before going for town supply could we double the number of brigades but half the supply?

12 posts in this topic

So---

Before going for town supply could we double the number of brigades but half the supply? (Maybe even reduce movement timers)

Based on my gameplay experience and limited HC time ,,, I think this would do much more for the common soldier and add a the possibility to have and set more reserves reducing the problems of no HC online.

I still am agaisn't town supply and it seems a really bad direction for gameplay and investing the limited CRS resources especially if something like this is not tested.. AFAIK there were never enough brigades in the game to have proper reserves and allow more mistakes without compromising the front.

The original logic for the current number of Brigades was to allow for some rapid movement if an area was stripped of brigades in good supply. The problem is that it was much easier to go to the edge of the map and cut-off numerous enemy brigades, requiring a high level of HC participation to forestall such moves. I fully agree with you about the town-based supply being a lunatic plan, but differ in that we have already tried it, and it generated a style of gameplay that magnified pop-imbalances and promoted play that was ultimately the same for every attack, Very very  dull.

On 15/01/2018 at 0:58 PM, fidd said:

The original logic for the current number of Brigades was to allow for some rapid movement if an area was stripped of brigades in good supply. The problem is that it was much easier to go to the edge of the map and cut-off numerous enemy brigades, requiring a high level of HC participation to forestall such moves. I fully agree with you about the town-based supply being a lunatic plan, but differ in that we have already tried it, and it generated a style of gameplay that magnified pop-imbalances and promoted play that was ultimately the same for every attack, Very very  dull.

When you say this was tried ? You mean town supply right?

Because never in my 13 years of playing was there a point that the game had the doubled the number of brigades but with less supply allowing for more mistakes and the lost of brigades and more daring and interesting map movements.

Edited by pbveteran

Doubling flags would be interesting and probably help a lot - while cutting supply in half in each flag.

The other thing I would do is not allow inter division stacking - a division can only stack w/itself.

No more 3pz, 4pz and 16id all stacked in the same town.

12 minutes ago, delems said:

Doubling flags would be interesting and probably help a lot - while cutting supply in half in each flag.

The other thing I would do is not allow inter division stacking - a division can only stack w/itself.

No more 3pz, 4pz and 16id all stacked in the same town.

I actual wanted to mean to double the number of divisions .. but going with brigades it might actually be easier to implement.

A first glace it may look to make sense to stack with only the division itself but that opens a can of worms meaning you have to move each division before moving another brigade in from another division or that you couldn't use recently open links because there was a division there already also towns like Antwerp would now be limited to the the single supply of one current division(since at the division level it would still have the same global supply)

I think what I ask can implement right away with no change in the current systems, I understand what you mean but I think a better mechanic would to have a limit of the amount of brigades each town could stack, reflecting the actual logistics between small towns and big cities with ports and that in real life serve as logistic centers and depots and were held many troops there. So in the end might map movements would to be done in some predefined routes or be forced to queue slowing the movements of these brigades in "oversupply"/ Low Logistic cities.

As a member of HC and having run the map. NO THANK YOU. It's enough to keep track of now, let alone doubling the work load. Keeping track of fallbacks, supply, movement timers etc.

3 hours ago, haupt said:

As a member of HC and having run the map. NO THANK YOU. It's enough to keep track of now, let alone doubling the work load. Keeping track of fallbacks, supply, movement timers etc.

The purpose is to not have to care about fallbacks and timers because there would be enough brigades for you to simply loose 2 or 3, you would also have way more reserves(brigades not on the frontline) reducing the importance of setting fallbacks.

You have to care about fallbacks and timers because there are so few brigades any error propagates to the entire game and can have a great effect, if instead you loose 50 tickets of supply that won't make much difference.

There are so many pros... for having more brigades that they should be no reason whatsoever to not test it... removing FRUs was more careless and had more repro cautions on the ground than this.

Edited by pbveteran

Other than the fact we have to keep track of them and move them all. You seem to think it's easy. Fallbacks would matter even with more.

9 hours ago, haupt said:

Other than the fact we have to keep track of them and move them all. You seem to think it's easy. Fallbacks would matter even with more.

I don't think you understand a fallback is needed because a brigade has a lot of supply and there is a finite number of brigades which mean without a fallback you might have a town without any brigade defending.

In a game where the supply for each brigade is small around 50 units fall backing a attrited brigade would be useful you would looking at a 25 or less units left further more with more brigades you would have a brigade on the town that in the current game would be the fall back meaning ... no actual breakthrough on the campaign.

Wrong, unless you have enough to cover 2-3 towns in depth, you HAVE to worry about where they route to. If you don't, the opposing side WILL find a way to exploit it. But even without that, more brigades means more work planning moves and moving them.

Until I see you actually ingame and in HC I'm done responding.

14 hours ago, haupt said:

Wrong, unless you have enough to cover 2-3 towns in depth, you HAVE to worry about where they route to. If you don't, the opposing side WILL find a way to exploit it. But even without that, more brigades means more work planning moves and moving them.

Until I see you actually ingame and in HC I'm done responding.

If you can currently have practically the entire front cover with brigades and few as reserve... doubling the number of brigades would mean you would have the entire frontline defended and multiple brigades behind them plus most of the towns are not connect by more than 1-2 friendly towns, the solution of actually doubling the number of brigades kinda makes this impact reduced, there would be always something to move in to at least have a form of defense,

I despite the current MOIC idea where one guy must have do everything.. I want a democratization of HC meaning non-hc could move brigades or specifically brigades assign brigades to them.

Plus of the one worst things about HC is that each officer has not really a set of brigades where he can do whatever it wants.

I honestly thought of you more ? Why the absolute NO we can't try this when, it's never been tested it's of easy implementation and also easy to revert back and  it addresses many issues with the current HC system.

Can't you honestly not understand that the limited number of brigades makes moving brigades to aid a defense harder and potential creates another problem on another section of the front? And due to the limited of brigades it's harder to find a brigade to do this or requires to trickle back the entire frontline.. What of these is more approachable and user friendly? And less frustrating?

With more men you can afford to loose.. The same goes with brigades and you can be less diligent, less stressful... making HC retain more people.

Man I wish when I was in HC I had double of the amount of brigades it would had made things easier, I would had had always something to move and defend.

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 0:40 AM, pbveteran said:

When you say this was tried ? You mean town supply right?

Because never in my 13 years of playing was there a point that the game had the doubled the number of brigades but with less supply allowing for more mistakes and the lost of brigades and more daring and interesting map movements.

Sorry, that was ambiguous. Yes, you're correct, I did mean town-based supply rather than brigade supply, I wasn't referring to your idea.