Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
invisman

Returning player from a decade ago with some questions

14 posts in this topic

S!

I will be returning to game within the next few months once I acquire a new desktop or alienware console. My question to pose to you all is have any of you tried these consoles or is the desktop still the way to go? I can currently run the game on the pc I have now but I fear the FPS will be to slow and choppy to be effective in game play when flying. Also can you get a joystick to fly on one of those alienware consoles if not its out for sure! I figured someone here might now about those pc consoles since the game is on Steam now. 

Now let me just say, I joined during campaign 9 back in 2004 and played pretty hardcore thru map 44 for the allies with the proud 17th BG! I have had many nights away from this game still dreaming of coming back one day! This game is still and always will be the best immersive war simulator out there! 

What finally pushed me to coming back. Finally getting old enough almost 40 to slow down a bit. I  was talking to my brother in law mid 20's who plays COD and other games like that where only 32 people are in the arena at a time on a console and have no clue what good battle is. When I first joined we would have epic battles that would leave me hands raw from the white knuckle grip I had on the joystick that would last hours even days sometimes. I cannot express to you the satisfaction it brought to me when we would fly factory bombing runs and there would be a whole squadron of enemy fighters  waiting for us at 15 to 20k to come down on us from above. If you were lucky enough to survive the flak and enemy fighters it was well worth the long flight home. Also very much looking forward to landing a plane again while bleeding out using nothing but the yaw and yoke knobs (hope i got those terms correct been a long time). I look forward to your responses and see you all in game. Maybe I will just subscribe now and see if i can ground pound effectively with 4GB of ram.

If any of the old 17th is still out there would love to catch up with you! (Jcritter, Hawkeye, Rook, Drdog, Wreckr6, plus many more you know who you are!)

The only person currently sporting a 17th Bomb Group squad tag (that I know of) is doc1168.  In addition, AirSlayr88 and forrest have opened up recruiting in the Dambusters for bomber pilots.  I'm sure any of them could point you in the right direction.

As far as your PC, this game is not very resource intensive.  In fact, it runs better on one or two cores than it does on four, as it's still on the old game engine.  Find yourself a cheap joystick and plug it into the computer you have now.  Try it first on offline practice mode, where you can load in any unit, and see what kind of performance you get.  I've found joysticks, which still worked perfectly, in thrift stores and flea markets, for very little money.  You might be ingame a lot sooner than you thought.

S!   And welcome back!

-Irish

Edited by odonovan1

Thanks for the info!,

Its funny that I stopped playing this game  because of performance of my cpu I  built from scratch for gaming in my early 20s. Sounds like my home/work desktop I just got a few month back might do the trick from what you are saying. I may have a few compatible RAM sticks from old mother boards I can stick in and beef this basic model up with for now if this works out. I also have my old saitek x 45 still, hopefully they have drivers for newer OS on their website. If that is the case I will load up the free to play account to test it out before I go premium. 

I remember the Dambusters well, we would all go on huge RDP bombing raids from time to time. Its good to see some familiar old names out there still and squads. 

S!

3 hours ago, invisman said:

Thanks for the info!,

Its funny that I stopped playing this game  because of performance of my cpu I  built from scratch for gaming in my early 20s. Sounds like my home/work desktop I just got a few month back might do the trick from what you are saying. I may have a few compatible RAM sticks from old mother boards I can stick in and beef this basic model up with for now if this works out. I also have my old saitek x 45 still, hopefully they have drivers for newer OS on their website. If that is the case I will load up the free to play account to test it out before I go premium. 

I remember the Dambusters well, we would all go on huge RDP bombing raids from time to time. Its good to see some familiar old names out there still and squads. 

S!

Saitek X45 still works, but the drivers and programming software will be a bit tricky, there is technically no windows 10 support for it.

I am using one so i can tell you it does work, just not fully programmable in windows 10, but very very usable.

It will also simply flt out work with just letting windows 10 use its own drivers, you just wont have any profiles, but all the buttons and axis will work.

I also have an app i can get you a copy of that lets you adjust for things like sloppy center due to wear or axis throw not working as intented (like the throttle only works about 50%)
If you have a couple days (cause im nto home), i can tell you exactly what version of the X45 driver and SST programming software to load
and share you a copy of the axis tool

Don't but Alienware for this game, it would be a waste of money.  I have an I5-7600 3.8 Ghz, 16 Mb of DDR4 2400 memory, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 graphics card - a moderate performing build - and game runs great.  FPS in heavy ground battles are rearely below 50 FPS and when flying rarely below 80 FPS.  You could build the entire rig for less than $1K, much less than an Alienware rig.

12 minutes ago, GrAnit said:

Don't buy Alienware for this game

Don't buy Alienware at all....its a waste of money. I can build a better PC than Alienwares best PC for probably $1000 less.

A < $1k rig new could easily run this game, and several newer games no problem depending where you put your money. 

Appreciate the info once again! 

The PC we just bought a few months back for a business has,  just a bit better then the min specs required to play currently. Wish I would have thought about this a few months back and I would have just bought a much better setup. Only problem is I bought the PC for my girl who owns the business, so trying to convince her to let me install wwii online on it is not going well  so far. 

I see several gaming computers that should be more than decent enough to play this game for less than 1k. I will seriously only be using the new CPU for ww2 online so I should have enough cash together here soon to jump on one of those models before the end of February and it gives me time for do diligence to make sure I purchase something that I can continue to beef up as I go.

Merlin51 I will let you know if the old lady lets me highjack her computer and find you in game. If not I should have a rig new out of a box that I will be able to plug and play for the most part. 

Sideout nice to hear from you I know we were not in same squad, but its good to see a familiar name out there after all these years!

Looking forward to seeing you all on the battlefield soon!

S!

You said ,   YOU bought it, enough said .

Take it, tell her to buy her own :)

If she wants to run her own business it comes with expenses, ,her own PC would be one of them. 

Edited by dre21

Nice!  :)

Unfortunately the phrase "happy wife, happy life" is a very true statement in my very small sphere of influence. 

I am kicking myself hard for not getting a better PC a few months back now though. Not to worry, now I will just go get me a low to mid tier gaming computer that I will be able to continue to beef up as I go here in the new few weeks with a little luck. 

29 minutes ago, GrAnit said:

A new computer could be written of as a business expense.

Can anybody say "loophole" ;)

Lou Pohl?  I know him.  He's a dishonest tax attorney.  :)

(Disclaimer:  I do NOT actually know someone named Lou Pohl who is a dishonest tax attorney.  This was a wordplay on the word "loophole" and was not meant to cast any aspersions on the honesty of anyone actually named Louis Pohl or any variation thereof.  Thank you for your kind indulgence.)

(damned legal disclaimers)  ;)

-Irish

Edited by odonovan1

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0