Ltarflak

2018 road map

280 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, dropbear said:

To reduce the lack of cohesion of the players spawning from a fms - how about we place the players into a queue, say 5 men. Then when that queue is full they can spawn ( or not if the fms is camped). This in effect makes those 5 soldiers a squad.

I wholeheartedly agree with throttling fms..this mechanic makes it better for the attackers to make multiple fms to allow more men in the attack.

I am just thinking about improving the current fms system. I also think they should be redesigned to make them harder to camp. If you know where the fms is then cover the flanks and kill them when they come. Sometimes it's better to NOT blow the ems ;)

I think the spawning system they use in Day of Defeat would do wonders here.  

For those who are unfamiliar, basically respawning is only allowed at specific time intervals (maybe once every 10-20 seconds), regardless of when you died.  This essentially means people enter the game world in waves rather than trickling in.  

Our game already has a timer mechanic attached to the spawning system in the form of Spawn Delay.  If a better balance mechanic can be developed, I would love to see them transform the Spawn Delay mechanic into what I described above.  

4 hours ago, major0noob said:

ffs merlin's defending the aircraft 20mm's vs FMS's and the fact that there are only 2 in game at any given time

Um excuse me, no merlin is not, dont put words in my mouth and dont tell lies and learn to read

4 hours ago, madrebel said:

defense has always been favored over offense. not saying this is necessarily by choice but it seems every mechanic added to prioritize attacking has had some death star esque achilles' heal. The very first MSPs died to a fart in their general direction.

Blunting an attack should be more difficult than it is. significantly more. 

But in reality, this simulates reality

Wasn't WW2 doctrine to attack with 3:1 numbers advantage? Making defending harder is going to have a hugely negative impact on the TZ and regular instances where the numbers advantage seems to surpass 3:1

4 hours ago, major0noob said:

nowdays bug reports are whining to you people... ffs merlin's defending the aircraft 20mm's vs FMS's and the fact that there are only 2 in game at any given time

Heh, not really fair tbh. I don't think Merlin is defending it.  He and I don't see eye to eye in several areas but I don't get the impression he is for this feature.  Took me a while to figure out a range of 20mm rounds it would take to drop a FMS consistently... with practice I found it was a ridiculously small amount similar to the ridiculous small amount of HEAT rounds it took.  I think the issue is a much tougher issue to fix than the HEAT was by my understanding. It is also my understanding that there is a fix in place to stop the nonsense.  Now if they would only revamp the FMS to make it more fortifiable, we will have the first hooks in for FB construction and closer to area capture instead of static spawns.

12 hours ago, david01 said:

1 minute capture timer or so, with a flashing icon and/or message alerting all town defenders when the cap starts. It's not rocket science you just have to know a little about FPS games. If people are really that scared of the map moving then crank up the bunker timer from 10 min to 20 min.

Yup, I've said this before...Increase AB timer. Couldnt hurt

5 hours ago, Silky said:

I don't know, that sounds a little arcadey to me and also seems to dumb down the game to a position where it's little more than

FOLLOW THE ARROW  > > > ENEMY HERE > > > HE'S IN THE CLOSET

I'd hope for something a little more nuanced than that

It would encourage players to storm and hold depots as teams while making the solo cap-and-run virtually useless in most towns, it doesn't matter if the feature itself is arcadey. Far less arcadey than having parts of town captured out from under you silently. It would actually make both attacking and defending easier which is why I wonder that it hasn't been done. 

On 1/15/2018 at 2:59 PM, merlin51 said:
On 1/14/2018 at 9:19 PM, delems said:

Well, thanks to allied air being able to strafe our MS - again AO shut down.

Complete BS, axis kill allied MS - and emergency patch put out days later,  allies kill axis MS and months go by with no fix.

Delems, you DO realize you can kill the allied FMS with the AC cannons also right?
That part isnt a 1 sided thing. The bias train is getting old dont ya think?

On 1/14/2018 at 9:20 PM, major0noob said:

there are lots of people trying all the time.

There are lots of individuals trying to run out a truck hoping they will be the lucky one that goes unnoticed
there are not lots of people trying to make just this ONE FMS a reality though.

Take all those people running about willy nilly, and take all those people sitting at map waiting for an FMS
And put them all working together on getting and maintaining just ONE FMS, at least to start, you can worry about more when you have that part down pat.

Why is that so seemingly impossible to do?

both in the same post lol

6 hours ago, saronin said:

Exactly who do you think you’re talking to here?  Ever notice Blitz Kader has their own emblem on their tanks?  One of the few squads large enough to afford such a frivolous luxury. I am BK and was 3 PZG before that. 

And? 

What majornoob has been trying to tell you is that in his time zone the major squad dynamic does not exist.

Hello I am on in Major0's TZ, i see him all the time.
He could ask me to come help him set up an FMS, or he could come help me rather than going into Eeyore mode when i ask for any volunteers for an FMS team.
I think he just wants it to be impossible almost

As for miniDOC’s assertion about “whining”, what do you expect? You’re just supposed to get a complete pass on a vehicle that has been in game for a shade over a decade that you can’t get the gun sight right on?  I’m sorry what do you need?  Another decade or so?  No.  You get to eat level of incompetence. That’s not me “whining”. That’s you completely incompetent. 

You realize you are condemning the child for the sins of the father right?
I dont think Pete made the vehicle 10 years ago

1 hour ago, merlin51 said:

And?

And as I stated in the next paragraph, It means I am used to large squad ops and fully understand what it takes to pull them off.  The game however, should not be designed around such operations needing to occur all the time. 

Hello I am on in Major0's TZ, i see him all the time.
He could ask me to come help him set up an FMS, or he could come help me rather than going into Eeyore mode when i ask for any volunteers for an FMS team.
I think he just wants it to be impossible almost

Spawn points are not a real world construct.  They at a game construct.  I don't remember every setting up a spawn point in OIF or OEF.  They are a game construct designed to facilitate action.  Majornoob is trying to tell you they are not doing that.  If fact, their difficulty in setting up may actually be hindering it.  If you can't see how bad that is for the game I don't know what to tell you.

You realize you are condemning the child for the sins of the father right?
I dont think Pete made the vehicle 10 years ago

How long has the current team been in place?  The answer is long enough to get a gun sight right.

*** Delems, you DO realize you can kill the allied FMS with the AC cannons also right?

Of course I do, but no one has answered my questions regarding this:

How many allied planes can do this?  How many sorties do they have?  How many axis planes can do this?  How many sorties do they have?

And I'm surprised no one has picked up on the comment:

The real issue is the wrong education of players. They behave like mercenaries instead of squad membres.

First, is this a true statement, and if so, how come?

*** OK, you and n00b and delems will come be on my FMS team right?

I'm trying to run a platoon right now, our org has HQ and 4 squads.  Try organizing that with what we have. (hint: you can't....)
I can't even quickly see who is where w/o referring to paper next to my computer..... instead of just looking in the squad tab.

Utter chaos.  No visible way to easily show platoon command or units; much less get them to where they need to be.

Newbs, lifeblood of game, have no clue when they join our squad, hence we've stopped any new players for now.

We've tried setting FMS with proper support, isn't easy; we've even added an AA section out of need (unmanned however).

When we do set FMS/ZOC - it generally is quite successful, until ea strafes it and everything ends.

Hence, why we no longer do it- not worth the work required to be strafed by some fly fairy.

AND, when does the 7/2 get proper artwork?  I'd like to see that on the roadmap.

*** How long has the current team been in place?  The answer is long enough to get a gun sight right.

He has a point, if they can't get the little stuff right, how can we trust they can get the big stuff right?

Edited by delems

A way to shift the game from lone wolves and sneaky flag capping, to cohesive-small-unit fighting-to-win.

(This was under discussion by Gophur in the old-CRS Design forum, several years ago...because of course this issue has been a problem since day two or so. This is my best stab at reconstructing the running discussion summary at the time.)

1. Introduce a Morale parameter for every ground infantry player. Auto morale check every 20 seconds.

• Proximity to your mission leader or asst. mission leader --> gain morale (within 30 meters) (this models tactical leadership, supply sharing, watching each other's back, first aid support, and the psychological effects of team togetherness)
  • Isolated from mission leader or asst. mission leader --> lose morale (outside of 30 meters)
  • Single man isolated, including leader / asst. leader --> lose morale faster
  • Enemy fire close to you and isolated --> lose morale twice as fast
  • Kill by you --> big gain in your morale
  • Kill by someone else in your unit --> small gain in your morale
  • Someone in your unit is hit --> lose morale
  • Someone in your unit dies --> lose more morale
  • (About five enemy deaths balances out one unit member death)
  • (Your unit kills an enemy heavy weapon --> big gain in morale
  • Run out of ammo (any type) --> lose morale
  • Completed your last mission RTB and with higher morale than when you started: sizeable morale bonus at start of your next mission
  • Last mission KIA: morale cut at start of your next mission
  • Your mission leader's morale is higher than nominal at mission start: you get an equivalent morale bonus at mission start
  • Morale is persistent, mission to mission. Morale is not transferable.
  • (The numbers required should make cooperative cheating morale-building inefficient.)

2. Morale affects ability to move toward the enemy and ability to aim and fire. Your morale is too low, you have more weapon waver and you auto-shoot soon after starting to aim. Your morale gets even lower, you're unable ("unwilling", "scared") to move toward enemy fire. 

3. Mission leaders' or asst. leaders' starting mission morale is determined by the morale outcome of the troops on their last mission. Net morale of those troops was higher than start --> leader bonus at start of next mission from end of prior mission

4. No more one man captures. Sizeable unit (scaled to then-current population) all in proximity required to capture, but with timing comparable to current one man caps. 

So, what happens? 

Lone wolves become ineffective, except occasionally for very high morale players who are so good they can afford a morale-burning mission.

Single sneaky flag caps stop.

People want to team with good, high-morale mission leaders and asst. mission leaders.

Fear of death, because it impairs your ability to fight effectively for a while, until you get back to a better morale position.

Players will try to do more of what gets them morale (kills, small unit cohesion, helping unit-mates stay alive, ammo planning, etc.) and do less of what loses them morale (isolation, unit casualties, KIA).

36 minutes ago, delems said:

The real issue is the wrong education of players. They behave like mercenaries instead of squad membres.

First, is this a true statement, and if so, how come?

Yes, it's true. It's been true for CRS since Day One. Even in the Old Days when there were effective squads, a considerable majority of players were lone wolves and undisciplined.

CRS has never been economically able to just block their preferred gameplay, and has never succeeded in developing mechanics that motivate them to play in units.

It's the Rambo / superhero effect. Everyone wants to win the war themselves. That's their inner fantasy, whatever the game tells them is happening.

It was a mistake to introduce personal rank and personal point gains, because they reinforced the I'm-an-army-of-one mindset.

Nothing important should have been possible except via a unit effort. Gains and accomplishments should have been equally shared across the unit. Deaths should have had an impact to all unit members. 

Air unit should not be able to drop a FMS. This reeks of the early days, when a Stuka could drop two allied FBs on one mission and the French Blen fed my Flak30 kills to the point I had guilt.

Let better ATG spawn at the FMS as the armor improves, and let HE be more effective dropping one. But the Allies bust Axis attacks up today like the Axis busted Allied attacks of yesteryear.

The Z34 looks like a USS Fletcher class destroyer with different AAA guns. I'm not sure who copied who. You just need another paint job and instant US Navy, just add water.

FMB should have a 40 knot unit with torpedos on it spawnable from the deepwater ports. forget the artwork for now, just give me a launch button. dont need no stinking torpedo computer. Slowpoke FMB on the river. I've heard it said "FMBs on the rivers is unrealistic, they couldnt get under the bridges." Seriously? Do the FMBs last long enough, or kill enough stuff to bother some of you that much?

I'll take a hybrid navy if thats all I can get. I think its fun. Give everybody torpedo Blens too :)

Edited by Spear

Of course the Unreal Engine will change everything. Wholly kow, will it really look that good? I forsee new box and vid card for it.

On 1/26/2018 at 4:05 PM, david01 said:

Like the lead dev is still wondering if the FMS has problems months after the Steam release bombed and I posted video all all his potential customers getting camped merciclessly. Nothing about the FMS is in the roadmap. A tactical FPS is on the roadmap though when they can't get spawning or other basic FPS mechanics right.

With the help of my team at CRS, we've now made some rapid fixes to help Fortified Mobile Spawns get to the target and deploy faster.

Information here --> https://www.wwiionline.com/game-news/production-notes/1-35-11-released-tank-busters

We'll continue to listen and make adjustments. You guys keep communicating and be sure to stay patient as we have a lot to do.

Thank you S! 

On 1/27/2018 at 11:40 AM, noparty said:

Xoom and the Rats are doing a great job under difficult circumstances. They deserve our thanks and support.

Thank you sir, much appreciated (by all of us) S! 

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Spear said:

Air unit should not be able to drop a FMS. This reeks of the early days, when a Stuka could drop two allied FBs on one mission and the French Blen fed my Flak30 kills to the point I had guilt.

Let better ATG spawn at the FMS as the armor improves, and let HE be more effective dropping one. But the Allies bust Axis attacks up today like the Axis busted Allied attacks of yesteryear.

The Z34 looks like a USS Fletcher class destroyer with different AAA guns. I'm not sure who copied who. You just need another paint job and instant US Navy, just add water.

FMB should have a 40 knot unit with torpedos on it spawnable from the deepwater ports. forget the artwork for now, just give me a launch button. dont need no stinking torpedo computer. Slowpoke FMB on the river. I've heard it said "FMBs on the rivers is unrealistic, they couldnt get under the bridges." Seriously? Do the FMBs last long enough, or kill enough stuff to bother some of you that much?

I'll take a hybrid navy if thats all I can get. I think its fun. Give everybody torpedo Blens too :)

The good thing about having air bombs blowing FMS is that air supremacy now becomes more important

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, delems said:

until ea strafes it and everything ends.

that's getting fixed, they fire an ammo similar to what like a pzII fires,
Looks like it's going to strike the ammo type of any size, but it will work for now.
So time to rock your fms crew again, still mind the bombers.

2 hours ago, delems said:

*** How long has the current team been in place?  The answer is long enough to get a gun sight right.

He has a point, if they can't get the little stuff right, how can we trust they can get the big stuff right?

None of these people made those though

2 hours ago, Spear said:

The FB's were too easy back then yes, i could take one down with a char quick too.
The concept was right, it just needed to take a more realistic effort.
Air is supposed to effect ground, air wasnt created just to engage other air, you cant really disallow that in a combined arms sim.
FB's should really go back to being hurt by bombs, it should simply take a lot of them,
And if bombs can hurt them, then since you have a combo of tools to damage them, the satchels required can go up too
as you have more options.

FMS take 2 direct hits and wont be any more straffing.

8 hours ago, jwilly said:

A way to shift the game from lone wolves and sneaky flag capping, to cohesive-small-unit fighting-to-win.

(This was under discussion by Gophur in the old-CRS Design forum, several years ago...because of course this issue has been a problem since day two or so. This is my best stab at reconstructing the running discussion summary at the time.)

1. Introduce a Morale parameter for every ground infantry player. Auto morale check every 20 seconds.

• Proximity to your mission leader or asst. mission leader --> gain morale (within 30 meters) (this models tactical leadership, supply sharing, watching each other's back, first aid support, and the psychological effects of team togetherness)
  • Isolated from mission leader or asst. mission leader --> lose morale (outside of 30 meters)
  • Single man isolated, including leader / asst. leader --> lose morale faster
  • Enemy fire close to you and isolated --> lose morale twice as fast
  • Kill by you --> big gain in your morale
  • Kill by someone else in your unit --> small gain in your morale
  • Someone in your unit is hit --> lose morale
  • Someone in your unit dies --> lose more morale
  • (About five enemy deaths balances out one unit member death)
  • (Your unit kills an enemy heavy weapon --> big gain in morale
  • Run out of ammo (any type) --> lose morale
  • Completed your last mission RTB and with higher morale than when you started: sizeable morale bonus at start of your next mission
  • Last mission KIA: morale cut at start of your next mission
  • Your mission leader's morale is higher than nominal at mission start: you get an equivalent morale bonus at mission start
  • Morale is persistent, mission to mission. Morale is not transferable.
  • (The numbers required should make cooperative cheating morale-building inefficient.)

2. Morale affects ability to move toward the enemy and ability to aim and fire. Your morale is too low, you have more weapon waver and you auto-shoot soon after starting to aim. Your morale gets even lower, you're unable ("unwilling", "scared") to move toward enemy fire. 

3. Mission leaders' or asst. leaders' starting mission morale is determined by the morale outcome of the troops on their last mission. Net morale of those troops was higher than start --> leader bonus at start of next mission from end of prior mission

4. No more one man captures. Sizeable unit (scaled to then-current population) all in proximity required to capture, but with timing comparable to current one man caps. 

So, what happens? 

Lone wolves become ineffective, except occasionally for very high morale players who are so good they can afford a morale-burning mission.

Single sneaky flag caps stop.

People want to team with good, high-morale mission leaders and asst. mission leaders.

Fear of death, because it impairs your ability to fight effectively for a while, until you get back to a better morale position.

Players will try to do more of what gets them morale (kills, small unit cohesion, helping unit-mates stay alive, ammo planning, etc.) and do less of what loses them morale (isolation, unit casualties, KIA).

Bad Idea, my opinion. 

All you have to do is keep dropping bombs on an AB and none will spawn cause they can't move.

Also Tank crews can't bail . I doubt Allied players want their Matilda or Char crew sitting in their Tank and they can't do [censored], cause one of the things the Axis did in real life was pound Chars with every gun they had ( even  knowing they won't penetrate it)  but alone the hundred / thousand rounds bouncing off the hull unnerved the crews so much that they abandoned their tank . 

Also we kinda have that already, you have a [censored] night you more likely to log off cause your morale is in the toilet, you have good night you tend to stay in game longer do more for your side.  I don't need no AI morale to make this game unplayable , I get pissed off enough when I push an ATG out of the way trying to avoid everything and everyone just to get killed my some lone roaming EI ,or the one pling gunner dead while not 10 min ago I used a full magazine of lmg on an ATG just to see the guy deploy and still get one round off to kill a friendly.  

I think there is enough in game that does swing your real life morale , in I want to be in game or Fudge it I'll do something else.

Edited by dre21
1 person likes this

7 hours ago, XOOM said:

With the help of my team at CRS, we've now made some rapid fixes to help Fortified Mobile Spawns get to the target and deploy faster.

Information here --> https://www.wwiionline.com/game-news/production-notes/1-35-11-released-tank-busters

We'll continue to listen and make adjustments. You guys keep communicating and be sure to stay patient as we have a lot to do.

Thank you S! 

it's a bit late but good work.

9 hours ago, XOOM said:

Thank you S! 

Wow that is awesome!

New toys to boot!  Excellent...  Just in time to test it out on the Tigers mwhahahahahaha.

@XOOMif the game actually turns into what those test photos show and runs smooth I think ww2ol will actually corner the ww2 sim market in spades.  I was so excited about that, that I actually had a dream about it.. yup I confess and I pictured being one of those brit soldiers behind the sand bags on the road and a Tiger tank came looming down the road.

PLZ PLZ PLZ add more engineer PPO pieces that let you customize fortified areas.. like sand bags with higher walls and corner pieces etc so we can hunker down with all the new HE coming our way.  I know, we just got new toys and features and I am asking for more... but its a very cool "more".

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Pittpete said:

I guess they were listening:popcorn:

we've lost a lot of people to boredom over the past 10 months. there are a lot of in-game regulars I'm not seeing anymore, might just be due to the low activity though: maybe the game has slowed down soo much we almost never see each other. i hope so