Ltarflak

2018 road map

280 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, saronin said:

1. What air component?  The one flying in Air Warrior or Aces High or whatever?

2. A great many of the towns on the map are rarely used. A good chunk of them fall without a shot over and over due to their lack of strategic importance. By contrast the towns with strategic importance are fought over repeatedly. It has been that way since TOEs were released. With the lack of interdiction battles are fought in 2 km by 2 km box around towns. We have huge map... that doesn’t get used. 

I mentioned this in another thread but why not as a STOP GAP, add a couple more divisions to the map, say two to each side, one French on British and two German.

This would help "fill" the map while not unduly over crowding it, and still allow for maneuver,

12 minutes ago, brady said:

I mentioned this in another thread but why not as a STOP GAP, add a couple more divisions to the map, say two to each side, one French on British and two German.

This would help "fill" the map while not unduly over crowding it, and still allow for maneuver,

If 1.36 is really almost a year away, they should consider TOEs bandaids in the meantime (as long as they are simple).

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to create new brigades/divisions, but I imagine it wouldn't be more than copying the existing brigade entries in the database and editing them with new brigade/division names/shortcodes.  The new names and shortcodes might be the hardest part.  

Then again, knowing the spaghetti code, I'm probably entirely wrong.  

Edited by Capco

On 1/20/2018 at 11:20 AM, SCKING said:

Personally, as a Mac user, I hope that Dev makes good headway on 64-bit as I typically like to run beta macos so that means my deadline will probably be july otherwise I won’t be able to upgrade to the macos beta.

The transition to 64-bit is critical for me as well. I will not be booting up an old OS version just to play the game. I have no idea where the difficulty lies but the Granny framework has been 64-bit for a while now.

14 hours ago, Mosizlak said:

You say that like it's a bad thing. 

If you can fight em drunk don't fight em at all.

14 hours ago, XOOM said:

We intend to remain true to the development of WWII Online for sure, I hope (and would be interested in your personal feedback and others) if our Roadmap indicates that clearly enough. I tried to be exceptionally clear about that because it is core to my heart as it is many of yours. 

My goal here regardless in what we do or the exact steps taken is to ensure the long livelihood of WWII Online, at all costs.

I think the roadmap is clear. I just think others don't see some of the pending releases as priority. Like Ballistics Audit, that's a priority. I can confidently say most are excited about that being at the top of the list. I think however, when people see stuff like new equipment & Italians placed before Hybrid supply and 64-bit they scratch their heads. 

However, my limited understanding tells me that these are two different areas of specialty. Guys who create new equipment aren't the same guys working on Hybrid supply and 64-bit. So I understand peoples frustration - but also understand CRS's line is stretched thin. 

I'm grateful for our volunteers - if they we didn't have them lord knows where we'd be. 

2 people like this

3 hours ago, saronin said:

What air component?

<slow clap> for missing the point altogether. In those other games you won't see aircraft at all, period. Nor experience awesome 30+ para drops. Or have the satisfaction of strafing trucks and infantry. Or blowing aircraft out of the sky with AAA. But go ahead, throw some more vitriol - or be part of the solution. If all you've got is what you've delivered thus far, I pity you.

1 person likes this

Yup sounds logical. A 1944 tank in the Firefly vs our 1942 Tiger. 

You address the lack of BEF tanks ,it would make sense but I seem to recall French spawning in Brit towns and vice versa , Hence we get to face the M10 and Sherman 76 even in town with Brit flags in them.

But I forgot* the learn to flank statement* only applies to Axis players am I right.

You say the PNZ 3l will help and fill the roll of Infantry support tank , that the 4G can't  do , WHAT , you realize in tier0 we already have 2 Infantry support tanks called the Stug3b and PNZ 4d and these have to deal with Matildas and Chars.  The Char is less of a tough nut then the Matilda but to say  the 3l is an improvement I have to laugh. 

1 panzer with a Turret and a Weapons platform that needs to start it's engine everytime the target moves out of the guns Target range , ( not to think with the engine bug in full swing ) sure why not , so every sapper can pinpoint ya .

Only good thing is that some of us made the Stug platform their baby.

Well we will see what 2018 brings . Maybe CRS does sneak in a few surprises in . Easter and Christmas are around the corner.

4 hours ago, bmbm said:

<slow clap> for missing the point altogether. In those other games you won't see aircraft at all, period. Nor experience awesome 30+ para drops. Or have the satisfaction of strafing trucks and infantry. Or blowing aircraft out of the sky with AAA. But go ahead, throw some more vitriol - or be part of the solution. If all you've got is what you've delivered thus far, I pity you.

[Personal Insult Removed - do not put it back] [Edit-my mistake, thought that was abbreviation] the air component in the game has pretty much been a non factor for years.  The Allies have pretty much dominated the skies for years even in campaigns they resoundingly lost.  Sorties and TOM as much as 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 and still not much more than a buzzing annoyance other than to the AAA trying to shoot them down.  That all may change with Scotsman's HE audit, which will in turn be game breaking if the air game is unbalanced.  I guess you'll find out.  I haven't really kept track since the 109 was worked on but I would guess the Allies probably still average at least a couple thousand more sorties more than the Axis do each and every campaign.  Maybe Mingus can weigh in for us on this?

Either way, none of it makes a difference does it?  If you can absolutely dominate your opponent in that aspect of the game and still get curb stomped on the ground it doesn't say much for that component of the game does it?  A bunch of planes performing a big circle jerk above a town in game with no real relevance to the actual fight going on is hardly worthy of being missed. 

Para drops?  Seriously?  Those things we do to towns where an AO has been sitting untouched for a couple of hours and sits completely empty?  I bet you jump right into softcaps and talk about how epic they are.

Edited by saronin

18 hours ago, XOOM said:

It's interesting to me, to see the same people demanding a WWIIOL 2.0 looking at these other games asking us to be more like them. The interesting part being, that their game design is inherently different, as if their minds are not made up as to which one they want.

You know, we could much more easily (time and resources) create something like that, perhaps even if we were to call it as a "foundational product" to an eventual 2.0, laying the ground work for a proper launch and demonstration of what is to come. Despite that logic, I am sure we would still get resistance. Or would we not? shrug

Why is that interesting? Players aren't caught in the middle they've always hated the artificial strategic layer that CRS put in this game. The appeal was the large-scale FPS combat. It follows that as the FPS experience gets worse here and other niche games come out more players get peeled off. Just look at how excited players were not for new content but for the removal of the brigade system and HC duties.

You're also underestimating how difficult a good FPS military simulation is to make, especially when the one here has seen many bad decisions. I mean you guys still refuse on principle to allow private missions (another thing not in the roadmap), so anyone that wants cohesive team-based FPS combat is unsupported in this game. 

37 minutes ago, dre21 said:

Yup sounds logical. A 1944 tank in the Firefly vs our 1942 Tiger. 

You address the lack of BEF tanks ,it would make sense but I seem to recall French spawning in Brit towns and vice versa , Hence we get to face the M10 and Sherman 76 even in town with Brit flags in them.

But I forgot* the learn to flank statement* only applies to Axis players am I right.

You say the PNZ 3l will help and fill the roll of Infantry support tank , that the 4G can't  do , WHAT , you realize in tier0 we already have 2 Infantry support tanks called the Stug3b and PNZ 4d and these have to deal with Matildas and Chars.  The Char is less of a tough nut then the Matilda but to say  the 3l is an improvement I have to laugh. 

1 panzer with a Turret and a Weapons platform that needs to start it's engine everytime the target moves out of the guns Target range , ( not to think with the engine bug in full swing ) sure why not , so every sapper can pinpoint ya .

Only good thing is that some of us made the Stug platform their baby.

Well we will see what 2018 brings . Maybe CRS does sneak in a few surprises in . Easter and Christmas are around the corner.

Before you go off the rails Dre, the 3L is actually a pretty big step forward from the H.  Its a rather great gap filler between the H and P4G.  Another one would be the P4N with HL/B ammo.  What I see is a forward progression to start putting the historical puzzle pieces where they should be with load outs filling in with performance gaps.  I'm not sure if moving the S76 out of T3 to T4 is a good move balance wise. I just do not understand how the S75 and M10 will stack up against 4Gs, StugGs, and Tigers even with specialty ammo.. especially since both sides will be equipped with it.  MB I just don't understand their capabilities but I trust Scotsman knows what he is doing.  Given the criteria for the first run of tank entrances into the game, the most versatile AFVs we have unfortunately do not fall into the BEF category.. The US Sherman Chassis and M10, that pretty much covers the allied reusable chassis for later tier armor for the Allies. Just about everything else has to be created from scratch.. So that really leaves the first pass for the BEF basically the Firefly, M10, Achilles.  The French and US suffer the same problem except there is basically NO variant outside of the M3A2 with a 76mm gun that will be an improvement until we get the M36. I think the M3A2 with the 76 is a T3 qualified tank. 

TBH I am actually kind of jealous of the Axis kit in that regard, you all have so many chassis to get better variants and more unique variants much quicker into the game than the Allies.  You have the whole P4 line, the 38t for the Hetzer, the Pz3 line, the Skdf line etc.. Then there is the reuse of the guns themselves. The only new Axis AFVs that I can think of that have a total new model will be the Panther and King Tiger.  I highly doubt that CRS is going to introduce the Firefly and M36 without the Panther. The lesson of not properly introducing triads I don't think is lost on CRS after the M10/Cru3/Tiger match up.  It sucked hard and was devastating to the Allied PB.

I have stated many times before, I would like the next generation of light and medium tanks before the heavy hitters like the Pz3M, Cromwell and Chaffee as upgrades to the PzH, Cru2 and Stu.  They IMHO will have a much bigger impact on the way battles are being fought because they are close in support tanks.

All in all, the Axis kit will stay superior in a 1:1 match up with their compatriots..

Now open your mind up, think about all the new stuff coming...  picture it...  Now picture it in the new test terrain in that Road map screen shots.  I don't know about you, but its mind blowing.

The Pz III L is a tier 2 tank, it will be fun to have to be Shure but the Long 75 on the PIVG and the Stug are better penetrators, and have more a powerful HE shell 

The 17 pounder is, once fixed, a more lethal weapon against armor penetration wise than the Tigers 88, as would the 7.5cm KwK L70 the Jadgepanzer IV and the Panther would field, the difference of course is the firefly and the Achilles while deadly can be killed easily by pretty much any gun the Axis have in the field in Tier 3/4.

Only the British Get the Firefly and the Achilles, so their not going to be much of threat overall, the Americans will still be losing the stats's war with the Tiger for some time to come.

Edited by brady

16 hours ago, saronin said:

Not really.  All WWII Online towns are pretty much the same when you really think about it.  We play in a similar 5k by 5k box over and over as well.

Not really.
There are lots of differences and cool terrain features etc, we just dont take the time to enjoy or use them a lot of the time.
hurry up get FMS as close to Depot hurry cap flags hurry get armor in to camp, hurry move the map.
It is there, but we miss a lot of it

1 hour ago, stankyus said:

I highly doubt that CRS is going to introduce the Firefly and M36 without the Panther.

Straight from the road map.  I don't see the Panther in there.  Do you?  I see the Firefly though.

Tank Variants

• Close Support
    • Matilda MkII CS
    • Crusader MkII CS
    • Churchill MkIII CS
    • Crusader MkIII CS
    • Churchill MkVII CS
  • Mk VI 15mm Besa
  • Stug H 105
  • Firefly (as pictured from the war below)
  • Achilles
  • Pz III L

29 minutes ago, saronin said:

Straight from the road map.  I don't see the Panther in there.  Do you?  I see the Firefly though.

No, i do not.
But i also only see 

29 minutes ago, saronin said:

Tank Variants

These are made from existing.
Dont want to say little work is involved, but there is a good big chunk of under the hood work done.
So you could more easily talk about those, and have some confidence of being able to adhere them to a time line.

Now mister Panther, he is all new.
Totally new armor design, so art and DM for the chassis as well as ancillary layout for the mechanics.
Completely new turret.

All new under the hood stuff, weight, power torque, gearing all the stuff that actually makes it work.

And all that info needs researched for accuracy

And being new all of that needs intensive testing and maybe several revisions before its even worthy of having a player sit in it.

That is a lot of unknowns, personally i wouldn't talk about things like that until i had something close in the testing stages rather than say Hey im doing this, but i dont know when exactly i will be done with it.
Then again, knowing me, i'd not say a word of it period and just let it suddenly magically appear one day unannounced in an unrelated patch cause i'm evil like that :)

BTW CS tanks... 
They dont have any AP, they are HE/Smoke infantry support vehicles.
So they wont really be combating axis armor, though if they wish to try, welcome them in and thank them for padding your stats

11 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

No, i do not.
But i also only see 

These are made from existing.
Dont want to say little work is involved, but there is a good big chunk of under the hood work done.
So you could more easily talk about those, and have some confidence of being able to adhere them to a time line.

Now mister Panther, he is all new.
Totally new armor design, so art and DM for the chassis as well as ancillary layout for the mechanics.
Completely new turret.

All new under the hood stuff, weight, power torque, gearing all the stuff that actually makes it work.

And all that info needs researched for accuracy

And being new all of that needs intensive testing and maybe several revisions before its even worthy of having a player sit in it.

That is a lot of unknowns, personally i wouldn't talk about things like that until i had something close in the testing stages rather than say Hey im doing this, but i dont know when exactly i will be done with it.
Then again, knowing me, i'd not say a word of it period and just let it suddenly magically appear one day unannounced in an unrelated patch cause i'm evil like that :)

Absolutely none of that is relevant to the comment stankyus made that I was replying to.  Whether they are variants or new models it appears CRS would in fact release the units he referenced without the Panther.

Just now, saronin said:

Absolutely none of that is relevant to the comment stankyus made that I was replying to.  Whether they are variants or new models it appears CRS would in fact release the units he referenced without the Panther.

I would assume they would yes, as the panther would take longer.
I mean i would and temporarily pump up tigers to bear it out.
Then once i got the panther done, i'd get a T4 set up and have a moving party.
Thats just me of course

15 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

I would assume they would yes, as the panther would take longer.
I mean i would and temporarily pump up tigers to bear it out.
Then once i got the panther done, i'd get a T4 set up and have a moving party.
Thats just me of course

Well,  that's looking way ahead.  Right now they can't even get the gun sight correct on the M10.  Maybe they can knock out some of the stuff on the list they have promised.  Who knows, if they do that they might even get Loonie to re sub. 

I see the firefly and the  achilles  as get ahead work for tier 4, they will have very little impact over all, given how rare they will be in tier 3, this will give us more new toys in the nicer term, until they add the M36 and the Panther.

The panther will be far more deadly than the tiger is now it has a more lethal gun  better cross country performance and it’s Frontal armor will challenge most allied kit.

14 minutes ago, major0noob said:

... tiger variants?

Just a strumtiger.

the  Elefant was built on the porche hull totally different 

3 hours ago, brady said:

The panther will be far more deadly than the tiger is now it has a more lethal gun  better cross country performance and it’s Frontal armor will challenge most allied kit.

Panther will be the replacement MBT for the aging PZIV too.
at least that's the purpose for it historically, and i hope in game too.

1 hour ago, major0noob said:

tiger variants?

Not a variant but tiger II eventually
I think a tiger II entering the battle should be kind of like this

Mother of all variants (possibly)
Aberdeen_proving_grounds_025.JPG
Jagdtiger

The most common variant on the Tiger was a running chassis with a wrecked turret/main gun removed, used as a tank recovery tractor.

19 minutes ago, jwilly said:

The most common variant on the Tiger was a running chassis with a wrecked turret/main gun removed, used as a tank recovery tractor.

Sources seeme to very on this, Some say only three were made, and they were used as a ad hoc minefield clearing device not a recovery vehicle per say, conversion was Apparently done in the field in Italy 

A face lift for the tiger might be nice though, give it the later commanders hatch, so it can get an AA gun at some point , and the mine and or smoke  dischargers

Edited by brady

I'd like to point out as a reminder, we're still gaining momentum here and learning how to introduce more vehicle sets. This Creator program is a majorly difficult program to work in and our artists who have ventured in there get the equivalent of Art-PTSD. Let's try to be grateful for what's on the way and not lose sight that not long ago this wasn't anywhere on the board of consideration. S! 

1 person likes this