• Announcements

• CHIMM

Operation Burning Skies   09/17/2019

All pilots scramble!  Strap yourself in for this months Community event - Operation Burning Skies! This Sunday, September 22, 11 am – 5 pm server time. In honor of XOOM and friends showcasing WWII Online at the Oregon International  Air Show – our forces too will battle for superiority in Operation Burning Skies. High Commands are on high alert to rally their forces to victory! Lift off, and see a whole new world of WWII Online… Fearless bomber pilots make the skies rain down fire – our daring fighter pilots are in pursuit of their prey- as western Europe erupts in war on the ground below! Rally your squads, rally your buddies - Combined arms are back!  …Under Burning Skies! SALUTE!
ZEBBEEE

ML ranking up through rank points of its mission members

8 posts in this topic

what if MLs didn’t earn any rank points when capturing or killing but, instead,  get a percentile % of the points earned by its mission members ?

I think it may help bringing clarity between roles, decrease empty missions and favor involved MLs.

is the current team able to work on such fundamental gameplay rules yet or is it still a stronghold in the code strings?

1 person likes this

Excellent idea.

Old-CRS's Gophur considered ideas for ranking systems along these lines, a few yeara back. The basic concept was that human systems get more of the behavior they reward.

Mission leaders were to be thought of in small unit officer roles. The idea also crucially included tactical leaders, akin to real-world sargeants.

Tactical leaders would guide their field units by example, mentoring the privates and corporals so that they survive and the squad succeeds.

A key element of this field-unit-leadership concept was an automatic measure of morale that was based on recent events and on proximity to other members of your unit and your tactical leader.

I think CRS concluded that the players weren't ready for a unit-cohesion-considering game...that too many of them were wedded to lone wolf gameplay, and didn't care about tactical realism if it would conflict with their desire to be Rambo.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, jwilly said:

Excellent idea.

Old-CRS's Gophur considered ideas for ranking systems along these lines, a few yeara back. The basic concept was that human systems get more of the behavior they reward.

Mission leaders were to be thought of in small unit officer roles. The idea also crucially included tactical leaders, akin to real-world sargeants.

Tactical leaders would guide their field units by example, mentoring the privates and corporals so that they survive and the squad succeeds.

A key element of this field-unit-leadership concept was an automatic measure of morale that was based on recent events and on proximity to other members of your unit and your tactical leader.

I think CRS concluded that the players weren't ready for a unit-cohesion-considering game...that too many of them were wedded to lone wolf gameplay, and didn't care about tactical realism if it would conflict with their desire to be Rambo.

It is known that I am a 200% supporter of such a team-based roleplay system, and I believe for 16 years now that this would be the only way to make such a game succeed.

The secret is to provide a balanced system :

- Missions with mission leaders, to be used only for real squad/team-based roleplay

- A general mission for "mercenaries" without leader and available from AB/FB with an AO.

I also suggested to create for those mercenaries with less interest in the campaign, some kind of "hardcore battle scenarios" in rear towns, like the old live battle tutorial.  i.e. fixed missions available to both sides in the same town. Some would be capture-the-hill like, others capture the flag, etc. A kind of RA integrated to WWIIol live campaign.

Bringing HC down from their current despotic position is one thing, but the average player may prefer an investment on the tactical-layer.

This is putting the cart before the horse. Before anything remotely useful can be done with ML's, the unit's spawnable on anu given mission need to be controlled by that ML, and missions be searchable by players before spawning in. So, you want to spawn a PzII, you can search the missions list and find all the missions requesting those that also have that vehicle in the spawnlist.

That way ML's will have self-selecting players on their mission responding to requests for xyz kit, and a logical group to lead.

People don't follow ML's, currently, as it's impossible to lead a group of odds and sods  spread over 4km or so between FB and town, constituted of everything from riflemen to heavy armour on the same mission

It's daft. Sure, there's a few leaders who can deal with that, but they're few and far between, and mostly allied.

;-)

I agree but if rules are set that way, it will ease the sensibilization of ML regarding the accomplishments of their team, hence act accordingly and maybe differently. 

One major issue here is that it provides an incentive for players to make missions for purposes other than to lead fellow players.

Conceptually, the whole idea behind being a "mission leader" is to lead others on a mission. A mission leader shouldn't have any incentive other than that. They should be rewarded appropriately by the community based on their quality of leadership.

Anything we use to reward mission leaders shouldn't be tied to non-leadership roles, like generic rank points. There should be systems in place to reward successful leadership: battlefield promotion (direct rank promotion by HC, campaign limit, other limits, and CRS oversight to prevent abuse; different from current suggestion because it requires recognition of actual leadership skills being used), special badges, special rank hierarchy, etc.

Just something to avoid a player making a mission and then afk while they passively profit for doing absolutely nothing useful.