• Announcements

• BLKHWK8

Squad Rat Chats   06/28/2018

We will be having an Axis Squad and Allied Squad Rat Chat next month.  Please join us for a meeting with @XOOM @HATCH and @OHM to touch base with the Rats to go on a QA session.  Axis Squad Chat - July 28, 2018 2pm Server Time Allied Squad Chat - July 29, 2018 2pm Server Time.
Memoi

Help needed with old German Army picture

16 posts in this topic

Need help in identifying the brigade these German soldiers are in.  A good friend of mine's grandfather is in this picture and he's trying to identify what brigade they're in.

Any help would be appreciated.

img140

Going to be really hard to identify anything unless you can get a clearer look at the shoulder boards (shoulder straps) on the uniforms. That is where the unit identifier typically was. That said it looks like a lot of Gewehr 43 rifles in the photo so it was taken at some point from 1943 on. Good luck!

I can get it colorized real quick and bring it back. Is there anything you can tell us about the location date/time this was taken? 

18 hours ago, bmw2 said:

I can get it colorized real quick and bring it back. Is there anything you can tell us about the location date/time this was taken? 

Thanks for looking at this picture.

Unfortunately, all my friend knows is that one of the soldiers in front is his grandfather.  He was clearing out his late mother's possessions and he came across this picture.  He vaguely remembers being told that this is your grandfather.  Sadly, the date and location isn't known.

54 minutes ago, Memoi said:

Thanks for looking at this picture.

Unfortunately, all my friend knows is that one of the soldiers in front is his grandfather.  He was clearing out his late mother's possessions and he came across this picture.  He vaguely remembers being told that this is your grandfather.  Sadly, the date and location isn't known.

PM your grandfathers name. I currently know someone who has German Archive access because of their job.

Edited by ndcfs39

ndcfs39 could i PM you my grandfathers name?

He was in WWII also and i was curious in what unit he served.

Let me know thanks.

On 2/1/2018 at 6:34 PM, Memoi said:

Need help in identifying the brigade these German soldiers are in.  A good friend of mine's grandfather is in this picture and he's trying to identify what brigade they're in.

Any help would be appreciated.

img140

Heres what I was able to find:

It is a knight's cross award ceremony, looks like an iron cross with oak leaves which really narrows things down. I have reason to believe these are members of the Panzerjager-Abteilung 137, the officer receiving the award is Karl-Heinz Noak, the division is the 137th Infantry Division, obviously Heer

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Personenregister/NoakKH.htm

Edited by ndcfs39
1 person likes this

Beemer2.jpg

I got someone to colorize it, although the colors aren't 100% accurate. 

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Pittpete said:

ndcfs39 could i PM you my grandfathers name?

He was in WWII also and i was curious in what unit he served.

Let me know thanks.

sure

3 hours ago, bmw2 said:

Beemer2.jpg

I got someone to colorize it, although the colors aren't 100% accurate. 

That’s fantastic! Many thanks, I’ll pass it onto my friend. 

5 hours ago, ndcfs39 said:

Heres what I was able to find:

It is a knight's cross award ceremony, looks like an iron cross with oak leaves which really narrows things down. I have reason to believe these are members of the Panzerjager-Abteilung 137, the officer receiving the award is Karl-Heinz Noak, the division is the 137th Infantry Division, obviously Heer

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Personenregister/NoakKH.htm

Brilliant!  Thank you so much for looking at this. 

I’ve passed on your comments to my friend. If he sends me his grandfather’s name I’ll let you know.  

Thanks to everyone that’s taken the time to look at and research this picture. 

another caption on the same photo puts Noak in the 2./Pz.Jag.abt 46 .  So Knights Cross 1940, abt 46  - then Oak Leaves Jan 42 as leader of abt 137 as above from ndcfs. 

He later went on to command Panzerjäger-Abteilung 654 (later part of  II./Panzerjäger-Regiment 656) first equipped with Ferdinands in late 43 then JagdPanthers. 

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/603412050043284027/?lp=true

7ea9c301dc7190ca56bedbe6904580b0.jpg

So 137th Infantry Division - as your original photo must be 42-43 it seems.  Division disbanded November 1943. 

Component units below: 

Order of battle (1940)
Infanterie-Regiment 447
Infanterie-Regiment 448
Infanterie-Regiment 449
Artillerie-Regiment 137
Divisionseinheiten 137

Order of battle (1943)
Grenadier-Regiment 447
Grenadier-Regiment 448
Divisions-Bataillon 137

On 2/3/2018 at 3:15 PM, ndcfs39 said:

PM your grandfathers name. I currently know someone who has German Archive access because of their job.

It seems it wasn't my friend's grandfather somewhere in the original picture that I posted, it was actually his uncle.

My friend's grandfather was called Erwin Alfred Erich Willnitz.

Again, if anyone could give a hint of what regiment he was in it would be very much appreciated.  

Erwin Alfred Erich Willnitz is on the left in this picture.

jeffgrandfather