enforcer

Sherman Firefly??? What about...

58 posts in this topic

Firefly is a variant of the Sherman but the Panther would be a completely new model. 

edit - btw, the Panther is not out of the possibility of being added as well. It’s just not in timeline due to the longer amount of time it would take to develop over most of the other vehicles on the list.

We have new people learning the modeling software (Creator) and its easier to do a variant and learn  how it works than to build a new model from scratch. That’s why the list is mostly variants.

Just because it is just a variant of a sherman is not really a valid reason.. it is more like an excuse to give the allies more and better equip.. more options.. I do appreciate that the "new" group of CRS members are better and looks to be advancing the game quicker than in the past! But that is still not just another reason to hand out more and more superior allied equip.

1 hour ago, enforcer said:

Just because it is just a variant of a sherman is not really a valid reason.. it is more like an excuse to give the allies more and better equip.. more options.. I do appreciate that the "new" group of CRS members are better and looks to be advancing the game quicker than in the past! But that is still not just another reason to hand out more and more superior allied equip.

Well... Its a tier 3 weapon, and in tier three one Brit Division is on map, and Only The British Used it, so its not going to really change things all that much, except perhaps give the tigers pause in that sector. It may well have the most lethal gun in game but it still has a glass jaw.

Its a get ahead task for when they Do model the Panther, which is a more lethal tank than the Tiger is, and perhaps then when they model the Panther they will add the M36 and we can have a tier 4

Supposedly tier three is still 1943, but its chock full of 44/45 kit, after 1.36 perhaps the maps will slow down a bit and adding tier 4 will be practical.

Their has also been talk of adding the Panzerjager IV mit 7.5 cm L70, talk about a hard and lethal target, the 7.5cm L48 version would be bad enough.

ljcRBGC.jpg

Edited by brady

36 minutes ago, enforcer said:

2 things.

First, the current 3g, 4g, and Tiger all have a significant range of engagement advantage when facing British armor.  The Firefly (and more importantly to me, the Achilles) will fix a major issue in the British kit without imbalancing the game (the Tiger is still far superior to the Firefly).  

The other thing to keep in mind is the variant approach that CRS is taking.  Creating a new model from scratch with MultiGen creator (I think that's what they use) is reportedly one of the most difficult things for the current team to accomplish at this point.  

It's far easier for them to vary an existing chassis or airframe than it is to create, say, a Panther.  

It makes me giggle when something might enter and threaten the Tiger and StugG superiority.  The BEF just is not going to be that easy soft underbelly in T3 anymore.  The coolest thing is that its not going to be caring this very rare and uncommon worst performing AP ammo the 17pdr has currently.  It will punch a hole through a Tiger at 2k.

But don't fret.. soon as the Panther enters the Axis will have the ultimate in PZ again.. 

3 people like this

Christ. If you are worried by a few 17pdr equiped M4 then don't tank. UK flags are minimal and they will be just as vunerable as the US 76. The gun will only count if it sees you first and has a couple of pops at you before you realise.

I welcome the Firefly. Game needs more variety. 

2 people like this

20 minutes ago, rotsechs said:

Christ. If you are worried by a few 17pdr equiped M4 then don't tank. UK flags are minimal and they will be just as vunerable as the US 76. The gun will only count if it sees you first and has a couple of pops at you before you realise.

I welcome the Firefly. Game needs more variety. 

They didn't toss all that Gear on the front because they were looking for extra storage space :)

VTIj7ez.jpg

Not an excuse.. It’s called “starting somewhere”.. We want to get all vehicles we can possibly get into game (including the Panther).. Production has a very enthusiastic core now. Coming from someone on the inside, I am personally very excited about everything production is planning and implementing. From new vehicles to getting closer with ability to work on terrain. 

Keep up the good effort CRS and Volunteer rats.

There is no "perfection" with this game or any game. That doesn't mean not expecting good quality in people's work and the products that find their way into the game.

Some people have less patience than others and that is to be expected, as humans are a diverse bunch when you come down to it and we all have our "itches" to scratch.

So for those feeling less patient, well find some. For those with too much patience, well, demand a bit more. 

:)

CRS has moved this game along in face of what I would call "DAUNTING" odds and really the game shouldn't be alive at all, however, here it is.

Having said that, sure get that firefly in,  without a panther fine...Axis will survive ...always do. Maybe bump up the Tiger numbers when it happens ;)

The Panther will arrive at sometime.

No doubt there needs to be strong improvements, additions and eventually a new engine etc....the ongoing challenge. 

But people are working on it. 

Offer criticism, suggestions, grouch and complain, but at the same time...put your $$ down, as much as you can. I know various people keep up their sub, though they play less than they might. That's a great thing to do.

That will help get the game to the next level, both in version 1 and (prays to the Gods of Gaming) version 2. 

See you in game.

S! 

Yes the counterpart to the firefly (and Sherman 76) is actually the Panther but the Tiger is not completely outclassed.  The battle just becomes a who shoots first situation.  Sherman and Tiger will be able to penetrate each other at the same ranges.

2 hours ago, enforcer said:

Are you kidding me?

Please read some of the threads before screaming side bias.

1 hour ago, fufubear1f said:

Yes the counterpart to the firefly (and Sherman 76) is actually the Panther but the Tiger is not completely outclassed.  The battle just becomes a who shoots first situation.  Sherman and Tiger will be able to penetrate each other at the same ranges.

it's the lower tier stuff vs them, like the 4G:::stu/6lbr vs the sherm:::/pak38/3H

firefly:::stug/tiger/4G panther:::s76/sherm/m10

I only play Axis...and I love rolling tanks. Personally, I welcome the Firefly, and the new challenge it presents on the battlefield. Axis tankers will have to be a bit more cautious now in T3.

All in all it's not about who has what. It's about the person using it, and how its used. Just becasue you have a Firefly, and I have a Tiger, doesn't mean I wont sneak around you a pump an 88 through your side. 

Cant wait to claim my first victim B)

1 hour ago, bmw2 said:

I only play Axis...and I love rolling tanks. Personally, I welcome the Firefly, and the new challenge it presents on the battlefield. Axis tankers will have to be a bit more cautious now in T3.

All in all it's not about who has what. It's about the person using it, and how its used. Just becasue you have a Firefly, and I have a Tiger, doesn't mean I wont sneak around you a pump an 88 through your side. 

Cant wait to claim my first victim B)

Well that’s the great thing about the Sherman’s u can kill them from almost any angle with almost any gun :)

Edited by brady

3 hours ago, brady said:

This is the kind of stuff we can expect to see at some point:

ldjJZLg.jpg

There's a bean farmer somewhere who's gonna be pissed about the condition of his field

59 minutes ago, brady said:

Well that’s the great thing about the Sherman’s u can kill them from almost any angle with almost any gun :)

Your 17 lb gun can penetrate my Tiger just as easily as my  8.8 cm KwK 36 can penetrate your Sherman. All this really comes down to is who can hit who first. Which is why I'm saying it's not about who has what...it's about who's using it. 

Not sure why all this bickering

The Tiger I is a viable platform to stand in for a time.
None of the real life things, like expense, slow production time, reliability, over stressed drive train, etc exist in game, so the Tiger I will never suffer those things.
So it will remain artificially viable for a long time.
Hell, if tigers did not break and were nearly free, real life axis could have buried the allies in them and they would have had to do a hard rethink on sticking with the sherman platform.

Yes, it has some detractions as an MBT, speed being the primary (since cost etc doesnt factor in here)
But still, it will work until the panther is done, done right, tested every which way, and presentable in a form that the players deserve.

And by that time, there might even be newer mechanics that maybe let the tiger poke its head out around Tier 2 even.

Firefly is just a sherman, you know how to shoot a sherman already.
And you know how to deal with a 17pdr already.

1 hour ago, bmw2 said:

Your 17 lb gun can penetrate my Tiger just as easily as my  8.8 cm KwK 36 can penetrate your Sherman. All this really comes down to is who can hit who first. Which is why I'm saying it's not about who has what...it's about who's using it. 

Ya, it will may well wind up being the best balanced tier gameplay wise once they get all the pieces in place (now its total [censored]), the US just are not well equipped for it though, the M36 will be the really only decent gun they get, and the Pucker factor will not really come back till they Give us the King Tiger, which really should be the Key to Tier 4.

I would like to see Tigers in Tier two however, limited of course to two per Armored Brigade, so we could "feel" that pucker factor, and get more use out of the Tiger, theirs plenty of kit on the Allied side to deal with them if their limited like the Matty is in the early tiers imo.

mcGpMRX.jpg

Edited by brady

17 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

Yes, it has some detractions as an MBT, speed being the primary (since cost etc doesnt factor in here)

The Tiger I is actually fairly quick for a heavy tank.  It's main mobility issue (apart from breakdowns) was its weight:  there simply weren't many bridges built able to support the German heavies.  

2 minutes ago, brady said:

Ya, it will may well wind up being the best balanced tier gameplay wise once they get all the pieces in place (now its total [censored]), the US just are not well equipped for it though, the M36 will be the really only decent gun they get, and the Pucker factor will not really come back till they Give us the King Tiger, which really should be the Key to Tier 4.

I would like to see Tigers in Tier two however, limited of course to two per Armored Brigade, so we could "feel" that pucker factor, and get more use out of the Tiger, theirs plenty of kit on the Allied side to deal with them if their limited like the Matty is in the early tiers imo.

If i was magic.
Tiger would enter T2, in limited quantities, and limited to a few special heavy armor units
T3 would increase the numbers for the heavy armor units, and maybe trickle down a unit to the garrisons
T4 would see the tiger 1 lower for heavy armor, but trickle out another unit or 2 to the garrisons, panther would replace the PZIV as the MBT
Konig tiger would would make a limited number appearance in the heavy armor flag.

T5 would see the konig tiger replace more tiger I's in the special heavy armor unit
It would not trickle down to garrison (we end at T5), tiger I would either stay same at garrison, or maybe drop back one for the increase in panthers
Pershing also would never trickled down.

S76 sherman would move to T4 as it should be
The very limited amount of tiger I's before then will simply need to be fought as they were.
Using team work and tactics and exploiting the areas the tiger does poorly in.
1st with the M4A2 shermans and ATG's and eventually the M3 Lee's (Be odd to see them outside the desert), then the M10's will come in T3, i imagine the US will run a mix of M10 and some M18 flankers. And so on, i think you get the idea.

THe matilda I would be a prime candidate for a british T0 special heavy armor group.

And everyone will not have a special heavy armor unit with anything special at a given time, maybe nothing for a long time?
Really isnt until T5 that the US would field much that qualifies for that.
That is just how it is, no one had anything like a tiger in 1942
No one had anything like a matilda II really in 1940
The game has never been red VS blue, if it was we could just all have the same exact thing with different colors, and it would probably get very boring.

8 minutes ago, Capco said:

The Tiger I is actually fairly quick for a heavy tank.  It's main mobility issue (apart from breakdowns) was its weight:  there simply weren't many bridges built able to support the German heavies.  

It is fast for a heavy, but if you are trying to outmaneuver say a M3 stuart or an M18 hellcat, it is suddenly kind of slow.
But on the flip side, the tiger can afford to stop a sec, and the stuart is busy trying to retain control of its sphincter when it stops :) 
Bridges, fortunately ours in game were engineered by Krupp instead of acme bridge company, they support anything short of an imperial star destroyer

Panthers never really replaced Pz IV’s, be nice to see an ‘H” , by the Arden’s offensive king tigers had basically totally replaced Tigers ( their were only a few Tiger’s in the Arden’s offensives), tigers did continue to serve in the kourland pocket however till the end of the war.

pershings were so few and so rare that I can’t really see a rational argument being made to include them, that doesn’t include modeling the jadgetiger or strummorser

2 hours ago, bmw2 said:

All this really comes down to is who can hit who first. Which is why I'm saying it's not about who has what...it's about who's using it. 

Spot on. 

I'll take on a Firefly with a 4d knowing I have a clear positional advantage.