enforcer

Sherman Firefly??? What about...

58 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, brady said:

Panthers never really replaced Pz IV’s, be nice to see an ‘H” , by the Arden’s offensive king tigers had basically totally replaced Tigers ( their were only a few Tiger’s in the Arden’s offensives), tigers did continue to serve in the kourland pocket however till the end of the war.

pershings were so few and so rare that I can’t really see a rational argument being made to include them, that doesn’t include modeling the jadgetiger or strummorser

They did not get to, but the reasons for it dont exist in the game.
At least not in a predestined manner, RDP could be reworked again to influence it.
But it was the intention of the Panther anyways.
None of the tigers nor the stugs can get into close quarters maneuver fighting, while those are cool things, there are fights that they just can't get into
and by late war, the PZIV is struggling.

Pershings, in my mind, would get limited (as their presence was severely limited) to what ever number never leaving its heavy armor unit.
Konig Tiger the same, but numbers may be different.

This is how you handle a piece that has no balance, you dont nerf it or remove it or stuff it where it doesnt belong.
You let it live when it is supposed to but tie it to a special unit so you have to decide where it is going to show it's face.
This way, you can have the imbalance as it is localized and one can combat against that.
This way also, it still maintains that "Oh Shiznit" factor.
T2 75mm shermans with tigers at every AB?
Not fun for the shermans, and not really fun for the tiger either, boring.

Now a T2 where axis have this special unit [501st Heavy Panzer]
which can only be one place at a time.
Ok now we have a lot of interest in where that unit is going, (And we have redone flag movements to make them more real with no warp) cause it's a juggernaut and you know where it is going, there will be tigers, and it wont be just 2.
But we can also fight it, we can over stock garrison, we can get units out and moving and try to maneuver fight the tigers, get behind them, ambush them with ATG's, get air support etc.  (Of course you still have to contend with the garrison the 501st has come to support)
We also know that there wont be tigers spewing out every other place, the imbalance is only 1 place. That is ok.

Hell maybe you even capture (route) or defeat (attrit) the 501st and you get a war gazette article about it

Becomes kind of a player driven special event

Swap tiger in T2 for pershing of T5 or Matilda of T0 or any unit that might otherwise be too overbearing in genpop in it's given time
to exist without having to limit the thing terribly.

13 minutes ago, rotsechs said:

I'll take on a Firefly with a 4d knowing I have a clear positional advantage.

You will take one with a PZ38t if you've the position :) 
which should probably earn a medal

All of the new equipment being introduced into game, the equipment in the development pipeline and potential equipment to follow makes it an exciting time to be playing WWIIOL. Great work CRS.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, major0noob said:

M4A3E2 "jumbo" could fight the panther, could beat the tiger1 and 3/4G's

That depends, kind of.

An M4A2 can beat a tiger I through maneuvers and/or team work.
What it can not do very well, is survive the hit from the tiger.

Jumbo initially comes with a 75mm gun
So it has the same "beat tiger" ability as the M4A2
But it ups the anty in the survive tiger area a lot.

Cobra King was upgunned to a 76mm M1 gun.

As for the Panther, you can fight it with lesser units than the sherman.
It depends on how you fight it, Panther only carries 50mm on the flanks.
Shooting it frontally is like shooting a ramp, it has great angles, shooting it in the kidneys though hurts.

Now if You and I tag team mister Panther, ducking out of cover to alternately pop it in the face and duck back into hiding
to keep his attention and tax his ability to remain aware, and we get oldzeke to run far wide with a stuart to get up on his flanks with out him seeing oldzeke 1st.
We just bagged ourselves a Panther, with a stuart no less.
It didn't matter that your and my 75mm went bouncing off his cheese wedge nose like Evil Knievel jumping a canyon, what mattered is he stayed concerned with us
for way too long :)  

Course he probably isn't the only enemy tank out there, so mileage may vary

Coming soon to a Sherman-Firefly-introducing tier near you:

ltamc6039.jpg

Edited by jwilly
1 person likes this

58 minutes ago, Lob12 said:

Now imagine DM79 in it.

RIP.

I not Shure I see the point their, its like that no mater what he's in.

1 person likes this

Or me spawning a 2 lbs from a FMS 500 m + , and it will be dead.

Unless we get the armor/ammo revision first......PLEASE!

37 minutes ago, Hardlead said:

Or me spawning a 2 lbs from a FMS 500 m + , and it will be dead.

Well, if you can push that 2pdr unmolested for 500m and poke the gun tube squarely in its butt crack....

2 hours ago, brady said:

I not Shure I see the point their, its like that no mater what he's in.

Ha. Good point. Well made.

Just a pointer of the immense power of the 2lbs. (no joke or sarcasm)

I have brewed a lot of STUG and Pz IV with the allied FMS spawned ATGs. ( including the 25mm)

I actually had a better kill/death ratio on Pz with the 25mm VS the 2 lbs.

The 25mm can kill any Pz side or rear shot easily, except the Tiger witch I dont know how to do but I know its possible with a rear shot.

(been engine killed myself in a Tiger rear shot from well know player in a Pan.......years ago )

With the risk of sounding like a broken record, We/ I need the armor/ammo audit sooner than "soon" .

These debates go all the way back to the IIIH.  It was a long time before the French had the Stuart and the Brits had any 6lbers... a 2lber crusader didn't fair well unless there was a matty around to soak it up.  French... well the Chars could take the hit but it was the blens that held the line against IIIH.  Spall Damage and the fancy screenshot with all the lines was a happy release.  I remember most of the time it was luring the IIIH into a sapper trap.  You couldn't brake tracks early on.

I'm excited to see the Firefly .  Last time I played was Campaign 34 with 3 sorties in 39 it appears.  Joined right before 1.9 :) patch.  We all talked about the glory of one day the firefly arrival. 

Just have to get my Keymaps squared away and I'll be rolling around again.

Edited by biged88
1 person likes this

the firefly will be a good tank and the axis honestly needs something like the jpz IV / 70 (perhaps too much work to do a panther for crs staff). Also the interdiction missions will come back and the axis does not have a fast tank like the stuart, so it would need something like the 234 puma. This is the balance of the game. It is true that the axis often wins but  that depends ONLY by the number of players and not by the equipment. 

Edited by gters

I'll take the pak38 to deal with the Matilda in tier 0 . 

The one thing axis had was the distance / better optics advantage in the later tier . We all know it ain't in the Armor department in the early tiers till the Stug3g and Tiger come into play ( OK 3b is a bit of a tougher nut ) . But I guess that small advantage is going bye bye now too . 

Alone the ATG both sides get to spawn at their FMS the brit 2pounder can lay waste to an Axis spawn pool in pretty much any tier , the pak36 not so much .

But it's alright roll in your Fireflies and Achilles , there will be a Stug3g waiting somewhere on your flank. 

It be fun , I hope 

On 2/2/2018 at 9:24 PM, jwilly said:

Coming soon to a Sherman-Firefly-introducing tier near you:

ltamc6039.jpg

Well they will be like the Stugs , there will always be one in the spawnpool cause unless you really like these platforms they will stay in the barn.

No turret, no MG .  I personally would love to see the Hetzer , Jagdtiger.

1 hour ago, dre21 said:

I personally would love to see the Hetzer , Jagdtiger.

The Hetzer would be fun, but would have less lethality and much less survivability.

The Jagdtiger would be a gross mismatch for game conditions, i.e. sightlines are never long enough to take advantage of its armament, its speed and maneuverability were terrible, and it'd constantly be flanked or attacked from above. It'd go unused for sure, due to players trying it a few times and quickly dying each time.

58 minutes ago, dre21 said:

I'll take the pak38 to deal with the Matilda in tier 0 .

I'll take a PanzerJager I, when it is added.
No pushing and a Pak 47(t) gun and not much taller than infantry.
A bit less penetration, but a lot more mobility.

Though when we have a non abuseable system for specialty ammo, the Pak36 wont be so bad.
I am not sure how many remember when the Pak36 had PzGr40, the ammo worked well the gun got a limited amount, but what would happen is everyone would shoot the pzgr40 then ditch the gun and respawn, shoot all the pzgr40 then ditch the gun and respawn etc etc.

Only downside to PzGr40 aside from limited quantities (for any nation) is you have to aim tighter, as what goes through the armor is much smaller than the 37mm chunk of sacrificial ballast you just fired.
So, much less spall and no explosive aftermath.

BTW  Firefly optics, they would look like what the current 17pdr ATG has in game now.
So they dont have a lot on the Ziess optics in the tiger and such i dont think you lose that advantage

On 2/2/2018 at 0:40 PM, stankyus said:

It makes me giggle when something might enter and threaten the Tiger and StugG superiority. 

Or, god forbid, threaten allied air superiority

This thread is about superstructure and weapon changes...not all new vehicles. The latter are not development-eligible at present.

PzJg I would be all new. So would Jagdtiger and Jagdpanther.

Hetzer at least would fit the thread theme, i.e. it would be a superstructure-and-weapon change from an existing model.

6 minutes ago, major0noob said:

people praising the panzer1 need only look at the wacky laffly and r35/2C use and stats...

Laffly 15 W15 TCC's poor showing is probably in large part mostly our fault.
Pulled out too late, attempt to deploy into an already active situation etc.
Might also not help that you sound like an FMS waiting to happen :) 

Other part might have a little to do with having to drive around into reverse to place the gun.
Be a little bit easier perhaps when you are driving the way the gun points.
Think about the stug a sec, now imagine the stug has to pull up, turn around, and align itself to targets backwards.
That does not help you when you are really putting the thing into play too late as it is.

The gun on the laffly though, it is probably the 2nd most effective AT gun in T0, and the 1st most effective SPAT gun in T0.
Ask any axis tanker what happens when shot by it, all the other nonsense aside, when someone gets hit with it within say 800m and a proper shot, good chance their spawn just ended.

Sure lots of PZJI's will die, but stats wont ever tell you why, they wont tell you the person didnt get it out soon enough, or wasnt patient enough etc.
Someone will use it to great effect though, give one to kareca who is very very patient and i bet he makes you hate the thing.
It will be capable of taking out all of the T0 units, is small, cheap, and self propelled.

PZIIc is not for fighting tanks, was not designed for it, nor was the R35.
Both are designed more for supporting infantry than anything else, assaulting MG bunkers and fortified positions unarmored vehicles etc.
So if you pull their stats and compare their VS tank scores, it's kind of judging them unfairly in a way.
Yes people spawn them and go attack another tank with them, but does that make the unit suck? or does that simply make me suck for trying to push it into a job it wasnt made for?

oh yeah... the pzjr1 doesn't have a MG too.

exposed crew

pathetic armour

no MG

slow as hell

loud

obvious target

lol go in game and ask the tankers if they want this. it's a waste of time and resources.

Edited by major0noob