• Announcements

• BLKHWK8

Squad vs Squad Battle for Notre Dame Postponed   08/03/2018

The event for this weekend will be postponed... We have not been able to get a solid commitment to run the event. I will be posting a poll to select a better date and time. Poll:    Welcome back our Squad vs Squad events. Please check out the forum post here   
Zebbeee

Steam subscription changes

36 posts in this topic

Steam Subscription Offering Changes

31 JANVIER - XOOM
In our ongoing effort to improve the game and the experience of our players, we have evaluated the way the game has been presented on the Steam store and we have decided to make some changes. We are always evaluating the player experience and are listening to the feedback that players are giving. 

So, today we're announcing a change in our [Steam] Subscription Offerings. Our new standard "Base Game" will be the Starter Subscription, we'll also be adding a couple of cool things for our Starter Subscription that we think they'll approve of. We will also continue to offer our "All Access" Premium Subscription to get the very best of WWII Online.

Subscription plans available for WWII Online on Steam

Starter Subscription (Base Game)
Cost: $7.99/mo Recurring (USD)

You'll receive TWO premium items each campaign (items rotate)
Includes all other pre-existing access continuously

Awards (to come in the future / being developed): 
1. Upon each renewal, you'll get 1 FREE week of Premium Access
1. This will allow users to consistently evaluate what premium access offers
2. This is also our way of rewarding you and saying THANKS for subscribing

Premium Subscription (ALL ACCESS)
Cost: $14.99/mo Recurring (USD)

Includes full and complete access to the game as per usual, no changes here.

Category changes for WWII Online

WWII Online will henceforth be available in the following Steam categories:
  • Massively Multiplayer
  • Simulation
  • Action
  • Indie
  • Strategy

Other Important Information

All previous players who have signed up with our FREE PLAY option will be grandfathered in and will see no change in their access or ability to play (continued play). You will also be able to upgrade to our Starter or Premium plans as per normal.

The Premium 3 month prepay option has been discontinued to simplify the upgrade process for Steam users seeking to join the all-access premium ranks.

These changes better reflect what our product is and provides maximum development capabilities to help us further the mission of growing and improving World War II Online.

We'd like to thank all of you who have been playing our awesome game and participating in discussions in our forums.

I am not sure to understand: f2p are now only available through playgate and no longer steam?

Removing f2p from the steam store has at least cleaned up their evaluations from the global stats who were harmful. 

2 people like this

5 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

I am not sure to understand: f2p are now only available through playgate and no longer steam?

Removing f2p from the steam store has at least cleaned up their evaluations from the global stats who were harmful. 

No i think F2P is no longer available at all unless you already are one?

7 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

correct.   However those that are already f2p on steam are grandfathered in.  

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

I'm pretty sure that was the intent. What was the point of rushing to release on Steam though if CRS was just going to bail a few months later? There's going to be a scant fraction of people trying the game now.

Edited by david01

Is there a way now you can play with your main account as F2P once you're unsubbed, with the usual restrictions etc?

I thought something about that changed in the recent past.

1 hour ago, Lob12 said:

Is there a way now you can play with your main account as F2P once you're unsubbed, with the usual restrictions etc?

I thought something about that changed in the recent past.

I think you could slide back down from starter to f2p, do not know if you can any more.
Can not do it from premium as you get converted into a different database or something like that, it's a one way ride far as i know

Shooting yourself in the foot here... are you telling me If I have a few friends that I want to show the game, they have to pay to be able to play on steam?

What's the point of going to steam then?..

1 hour ago, pbveteran said:

Shooting yourself in the foot here... are you telling me If I have a few friends that I want to show the game, they have to pay to be able to play on steam?

They still can but through the official website, as I could understand. 

Now the message on steam is : try it for a month. It’s 9 bucks only. Do what’s needed to understand the game and then argue if you like it or not.

It’s a good filter to select the most passionated players from the mass as we could observe.

We should speak of a « DEMO » account and no longer f2p. This is misleading.

On 2/3/2018 at 3:40 PM, pbveteran said:

I see this point. I also see the potential drop in sales. A LOT of folks will not pay just to try a subscription game out. They want to see what it's like. When i joined they had the two week tryout and it worked very well for me. I 'm curious to know why they can't go back to that system.

I think you can still try it for 2 weeks on steam but no f2p afterwards?
Will check on that

17 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

I think you can still try it for 2 weeks on steam but no f2p afterwards?
Will check on that

There is no free play entry on Steam currently available as the article describes above, all of those changes were enacted accordingly as of February 1st, 2018.

The result? No loss in free players, an increase in paying subscribers from Steam, and a better quality community member joining / investing the time accordingly to play.

On 2/3/2018 at 1:40 PM, pbveteran said:

We tried, we got a lot of important feedback, and we're developing the game with that feedback in mind.

As I just wrote to Merlin there have been some positives to come from the recent decision.

The objective of going onto Steam was to get more exposure / marketing and more players into the game. We have succeeded in both regards. More work to be done, we'll consider opening things back up in the future but now we have some actionable intelligence to tell us what will happen, so it's still something to consider very carefully.

What we do between our full release and now will be the deciding factor.

On 2/3/2018 at 4:40 PM, pbveteran said:

Man you are always harping about not getting free stuff.......

3 hours ago, XOOM said:

There is no free play entry on Steam currently available as the article describes above, all of those changes were enacted accordingly as of February 1st, 2018.

The result? No loss in free players, an increase in paying subscribers from Steam, and a better quality community member joining / investing the time accordingly to play.

I confirm that the current green tags seem much more involved and more reactive than what I have seen after Steam launch.

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

I confirm that the current green tags seem much more involved and more reactive than what I have seen after Steam launch.

Glad to hear that Zebbeee, this is welcome for sure. 

Most people (including myself for awhile) assumed by providing an option to get in for free was the best way to attract people at a no cost obligation to play. Each time I've ran an initiative to let people in for free, we're not seeing the results we want. It's hard to believe because the predictive logic says "Yes this would totally work,", but the data we have backs up that the more we offer free, the worse things become for us in terms of gaining financially. 

This welcome back soldier is also not seeing much of a boost in subscriptions, though that's not too surprising because there's not much incentive too at the moment. We'll see what happens at the end of it. Meanwhile we've seen a population boost around the clock and are exposing people back to WWIIOL with all of the great updates we've added recently.

Will they subscribe and support the cause going forward? I'm hoping so, or we'll be less inclined to do this going forward because the logic wouldn't be there to do so.

8 hours ago, XOOM said:

Will they subscribe and support the cause going forward? I'm hoping so, or we'll be less inclined to do this going forward because the logic wouldn't be there to do so.

We cannot compare the strategy of WBS for the +500k accounts created in 17 years, and the steam strategy for the new generations.

For the WBS It would be easier if CRS had more detailed data extraction of its playerbase. I.e. extract players according to their language, their role (squad CO, XO...), their rank,  their side, their TOM, their preferred unit type... 

This would allow better personalized newsletters and promo actions. For instance the new planes should have been offered to all WBS having the good rank as pilot. Not to mention targeted community/HC events.

let’s not forget the community must be rebuild because almost 6-7 years passed with a complete blackout and desillusion (from what I can judge within the French speaking community ). 

Most former squad websites with tutorials, AARs, forums... have been removed from the web. People have moved on with heir lives. Their passion for wwii is still there but no longer are their virtual comrades. Former squad COs are older and have no longer time to lead as they did. The WBS truly waves at retired veterans...

I believe squads are the key but let’s therefore not dream too much about the old ones. 

I believe we must target the new generation of serious players and let them re-create new orbats. Today the market base  is 10 times bigger than 15 years ago, but those players were still babies in the early 2000s and they are therefore very severe when judging WWIIol. And they are right. We want them to set up new squads, help players understand the game and lead epic combats despite the difficulties... but without decent leadership tools and with a never-fixed gameplay mechanism. Where’s the logic?

6 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

but without decent leadership tools and with a never-fixed gameplay mechanism. Where’s the logic?

Can you please offer some more feedback and understanding on what you mean by these things? I'd like to better understand what you're trying to convey.

33 minutes ago, XOOM said:

Can you please offer some more feedback and understanding on what you mean by these things? I'd like to better understand what you're trying to convey.

Simply saying what The new team already know : the game was unfinished regarding teamplay. It is difficult for new players to understand how it works and set up effective new squads.

you are stuck between old veterans who are no longer available, and new players who are arriving too early regarding your development plan. not easy!

Can’t wait for the UI overhaul, the new HC role, AO overhaul and other unknown stuff you are hiding from us :)

1 person likes this

On 17/03/2018 at 8:06 AM, Zebbeee said:

Yip, same for us.

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, Zebbeee said:

Simply saying what The new team already know : the game was unfinished regarding teamplay. It is difficult for new players to understand how it works and set up effective new squads.

you are stuck between old veterans who are no longer available, and new players who are arriving too early regarding your development plan. not easy!

Can’t wait for the UI overhaul, the new HC role, AO overhaul and other unknown stuff you are hiding from us :)

Ah roger. 

My only hope is all the effort that this team is putting in can be rewarded by more folks stepping up to subscribe so we can get some more full time developers to increase the delivery timeline of all initiatives we have underway and plan to add later on.

Still trying to find the magic recipe to see this come to fruition. Everyone has their own list of this this this this this and this and you'll make it! But it's not anywhere near that easy.

If the 2 week Free test is not an option, I will mention something that a lot of folks have come to be used to on Steam. I see it all the time.

It is a Free to play weekend: Try it this weekend and it is free from Friday until Sunday at X o' clock.

I don't know if it's something you guys can do or not, but since it happens all the time on Steam, I thought I might mention it. I myself have wound up buying several games because of this simply because I was not willing to pay for something I could not try. Now I admit none of these were subscription games, but I bought them after trying them out, the same as I did when I first subbed to WWIIOL.