• Announcements

• BLKHWK8

Squad Rat Chats   06/28/2018

We will be having an Axis Squad and Allied Squad Rat Chat next month.  Please join us for a meeting with @XOOM @HATCH and @OHM to touch base with the Rats to go on a QA session.  Axis Squad Chat - July 28, 2018 2pm Server Time Allied Squad Chat - July 29, 2018 2pm Server Time.
Zebbeee

Pricing model overhaul

42 posts in this topic

@chaoswzkd

I think you have to put things in context, you don't need a 600$+ investment to watch a movie but you have to play WW2ol, you also have to probably spend 30$ in Broadband, plus learn enough to play the game and allow you to enjoy it more.. that requires a time investment, it's less healthy and more harmful to spend hours in front of the computer sitting rather than go watch a movie which you usually end doing other related stuff, it's easier to bring friends to watch a movie than is making them install and play a videogame since some might not enjoy, or have the skill, have the hardware reacquiring or the time investment needed to fully enjoy the game.

Then asking 14$ every month when the competition does not charge the game...

So in end the total investment you have to put to play this game would buy you 70 or more movie tickets.

15 minutes ago, pbveteran said:

@chaoswzkd

I think you have to put things in context, you don't need a 600$+ investment to watch a movie but you have to play WW2ol, you also have to probably spend 30$ in Broadband, plus learn enough to play the game and allow you to enjoy it more.. that requires a time investment, it's less healthy and more harmful to spend hours in front of the computer sitting rather than go watch a movie which you usually end doing other related stuff, it's easier to bring friends to watch a movie than is making them install and play a videogame since some might not enjoy, or have the skill, have the hardware reacquiring or the time investment needed to fully enjoy the game.

So in end the total investment you have to put to play this game would buy you 70 or more movie tickets.

Can not add it up like that
Otherwise you invested 30,000 dollars to go see a movie because you bought a lexus that you drive to the theater
and put 45.00 worth of gas in it
and paid 200.00 for the insurance on it.
Etc

The broadband i would imagine you got for more than just WWII Online
Same with the PC, if the game was here or not, most likely you would still have the PC and broadband.

Learning, yes, but learning comes with all games, some harder some easier.
This game is not the easiest, but it isnt the hardest by far, I'd give that award to classic Everquest of yesteryear.

I always look at $/hour of fun.  Theater movies are like $5-10/hr,  building a model is $2-4/hour, reading a book and watching cable is like $1/hour, a $1200 computer is <$0.5/hour (4 years using 2 hours/day, which is pretty conservative), etc...

WWII Online is $15/month and I probably average 2 hrs/day, so that is like $0.50/hr.  That is pretty cheap compared to other entertainment, and a hell of a lot of fun.  

Things always cost money, no matter what you do.  It is you choice where you want to spend your money.  It is also your choice what you haggle/complain about.

Cheers!

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, pbveteran said:

@chaoswzkd

This is the funniest post I've read in ages, thank you. lol

2 people like this

55 minutes ago, GrAnit said:

It is also your choice what you haggle/complain about.

Having been lead moderator here for a while a few years ago, and being an amateur student of internet psychology, I'm pretty confident that some folks enjoy arguing and espousing controversial or contrarian viewpoints.

4 hours ago, GrAnit said:

WWII Online is $15/month and I probably average 2 hrs/day, so that is like $0.50/hr.  That is pretty cheap compared to other entertainment, and a hell of a lot of fun.  

You forgot the most important one.
Beer $14.13/hr

4 hours ago, merlin51 said:

You forgot the most important one.
Beer $14.13/hr

:)

On 2/11/2018 at 1:16 AM, merlin51 said:

Can not add it up like that
Otherwise you invested 30,000 dollars to go see a movie because you bought a lexus that you drive to the theater
and put 45.00 worth of gas in it
and paid 200.00 for the insurance on it.
Etc

The broadband i would imagine you got for more than just WWII Online
Same with the PC, if the game was here or not, most likely you would still have the PC and broadband.

Learning, yes, but learning comes with all games, some harder some easier.
This game is not the easiest, but it isnt the hardest by far, I'd give that award to classic Everquest of yesteryear.

I don't have a car and that doesn't stop me from watching movies I go on foot or take a bus for just 3$ 

As for broadband it really depends I have friends who have only roaming Internet(4G) for their smartphones, if they wanted to play they would need to make that investment.

Why are consoles so appealing cheaper UP front investment no need to be tech savvy, one platform for everyone.

I made this extreme example to understand the market has a size and it can't be penetrate/enter by everyone, it's a specialized market requiring investment, time and knowledge because of this limited size, games have to be competitive to attract the limited number of players.. now the videogame and pc market has grown significantly since the 2000, that's why this game charged 14$+ a month as most MMO's back in the day but due to this larger market you can have free to play models, so even with the market increase the number of videogames battling to have enough players to play and spend their time ingame, so that their free to play models are profitable has just make the competition much fiercer.

Too many multiplayer games for a market where the consumer has already most of their needs fulfill, if you are inform you know of many new MOBA's or FPS games that simple had not enough players.

@XOOM The pricing model could evole towards something related to ranks, each subscription unlocking access to the next category.

Downgrading your subscription would downgrade you temporarily to the lower category's max rank.

An audit should be performed about what privileges and equipments is given, and how many points are needed to rank up.

Note: you still need to rank up!!

Example :

ENLISTED : $4.99/month (or  6-months at $23.9 - 20%off)

Enlisted
E-1.png E-1 Recruit Recruit Recrue Rekrut
E-2.png E-2 Private Private Soldat Grenadier
E-3.png E-3 Private 1st Class Lance Corporal Caporal Gefreiter
E-4.png E-4 Corporal Corporal Corporal-Chef Obergefreiter
E-5.png E-5 Sergeant Sergeant Sergeant Unteroffizier

NCO : $9.99/month  (or  6-months at $47.9 - 20%off)

Non Commissioned Officers (NCOs)
E-6.png E-6 Staff Sergeant Colour Sergeant Sergent-Chef Unterfeldwebel
E-7.png E-7 Technical Sergeant Quarter Master Sergeant Adjudant Feldwebel
E-8.png E-7 Master Sergeant Sergeant Major Adjudant-Chef Oberfeldwebel

Officers : $14.99/month  (or  6-months at $71.9 - 20%off)

Officers
O-1.png O-1 2nd Lieutenant 2nd Lieutenant Sous-Lieutenant Leutnant
O-2.png O-2 1st Lieutenant Lieutenant Lieutenant Overleutnant
O-3.png O-3 Captain Captain Capitaine Hauptmann
O-4.png O-4 Major Major Commandant Major
O-5.png O-5 Lieutenant Colonel Lieutenant Colonel Lieutenant Colonel Oberstleutnant

High Command : $14.99/month (or 6-months at $59.9 -  33% off - lower prices to reward leadership involvment)

High Command
C-1.png C-1 Colonel Colonel Colonel Oberst
C-2.png C-2 Brigadier General Brigadier Général de Brigade Generalmajor
C-3.png C-3 Major General Major General Général de Division Generalleutnant
C-4.png C-4 Lieutenant General Lieutenant General Général de Corps General
C-5.png C-5 General General Général d'Armée General Oberst
C-6.png C-6 General of the Army Fieldmarshall Chef d'Etat Major Feldmarschall

For the same income ($499/month) and the same bandwith cost, it'd still be better to have (100 x Enlisted ranking up to NCO) than (33 x premium + 67 x f2p), as probably 40% would upgrade later to NCO.

There would no longer be a f2p option, or just limit it to rank2 with reserve rifles and smgs but without capping.

2 people like this

I like the idea of rewarding leadership involvement though I suspect many of the guys in high command have the lifetime subscriptions. It might entice others into high command. 

I personally would bite on the enlisted or NCO package if it gave access to Tier 0 & Tier 1 vehicles. I would like to pay a subscription but the starter account is not much value and I don't like the 2 random items for each campaign. I would rather get a fixed selection of items to get used to and better at. 

Too much linear thinking here. MMOs costing 15$/month don't justify that price now. Now we have sub based MMO's going F2P because it makes more money and draws more players than a sub alone could.

Everyone always says "well p2w" but can never give a game that does that besides WoT (which everyone in the world knows is P2W, you don't need to say it)

If you're not greedy, you won't abuse the F2P model to sell victory to your players. It's as simple as that.

Edited by knucks

38 minutes ago, knucks said:

Too much linear thinking here. MMOs costing 15$/month don't justify that price now. Now we have sub based MMO's going F2P because it makes more money and draws more players than a sub alone could.

The purpose is not to take more money away from players. It’s to keep a volunteer project going and pay the expensive softwares and hardware bills. 

That being said you would be the first to leave when you will have thousands of free players not bothering to join squads,  communicate or take care of heavy equipments.  And that  « brilliant idea » will collapse the thin thing we have left...

enjoy your privilege that I pay for you.

3 people like this

19 hours ago, Zebbeee said:

The purpose is not to take more money away from players. It’s to keep a volunteer project going and pay the expensive softwares and hardware bills. 

That being said you would be the first to leave when you will have thousands of free players not bothering to join squads,  communicate or take care of heavy equipments.  And that  « brilliant idea » will collapse the thin thing we have left...

enjoy your privilege that I pay for you.

sounds to me like you just don't want the game to grow.

fair f2p models are in nearly every MMO now. They bring in more cash and more players. 

You shouldn't have disdain for new players. You'll never make money trashing people for not being experts here.

Edited by knucks

9 hours ago, knucks said:

sounds to me like you just don't want the game to grow.

fair f2p models are in nearly every MMO now. They bring in more cash and more players. 

You shouldn't have disdain for new players. You'll never make money trashing people for not being experts here.

We all want more guys here ; just saying that going full f2p is impossible for this game as there are fixed costs 24/24. Except if adds were added, but again, the game experience wouldn’t be the same quality as the typical f2p profile does not fit wwiiol’s standard. Look at the feedback of steam f2p who didn’t even try to rank up... 

F2P here is nonsense except if being considered as « demo account ». 15 days is already a generous gift.

Or F2P should receive very specific constraints to boost premium members’ experience. Trying to be creative here: F2P can only shoot within 20m range of a premium member,etc.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Zebbeee said:

We all want more guys here ; just saying that going full f2p is impossible for this game as there are fixed costs 24/24. Except if adds were added, but again, the game experience wouldn’t be the same quality as the typical f2p profile does not fit wwiiol’s standard. Look at the feedback of steam f2p who didn’t even try to rank up... 

F2P here is nonsense except if being considered as « demo account ». 15 days is already a generous gift.

Or F2P should receive very specific constraints to boost premium members’ experience. Trying to be creative here: F2P can only shoot within 20m range of a premium member,etc.

of course it is. A full f2p model isn't easy to pull off and the game kind of needs to be build around f2p monetization. That being said, it's not impossible to convert a game to a semi f2p. E.V.E online has pulled this of with major success, even having room to EXPAND the f2p because it was working so well for the company.

I agree, the f2p here is a demo, not f2p. That's where you lost a lot of players from steam, you may have a notion of what f2p means to you, or what constitutes value in a game; doesn't the general consensus agrees.
What I don't agree with is this idea that you have to sacrifice your premium accounts for F2P. If you do it right you're only adding content. Constants on F2P is what got us here in the first place.

Edited by knucks

Game pop is pretty poor now since the Steam trial has ended.

I have suggested different types of subs in the past ( I am not going to repeat myself).  But I think keeping it simple is the best.

All you can eat for $9.99 p/m

PS.  Why are no new accounts allowed to use PayPal.  Surely the PayPal problems have been sorted.  This is crazy.

2 hours ago, agenda21 said:

PS.  Why are no new accounts allowed to use PayPal.  Surely the PayPal problems have been sorted.  This is crazy.

I'm unaware of any Paypal issues..Are you referring to organic or STEAM?