Thrance

Memory Lane....

14 posts in this topic

Here are a couple of old videos made by Darkvex of the old 23rd Armored (now a part of the AEF)

I think this 23rd column had 65 or 70 tanks. If I recall correctly, the largest the 23rd put together was in the upper 70's for pieces of armor. 

2 people like this

20 minutes ago, GrAnit said:

Will this be possible again with town based supply?

Are there even 70 people total playing at one time anymore, save the occasional weekend?

22 minutes ago, GrAnit said:

It depends. I think the largest was with TOE's however, I knew we could field 45 to 50 with town supply but that was because every town had full supply. A hybrid system might not allow that. 

Ahh I joined the 23ed shortly after the recruitment video.  We had a air wing of about 15 dedicated pilots, and 10 dedicated AA gunners for flack traps.  We had a group of players who did para ops and a group of players that busted FBs.  Set into motion the 23rd armored would have air cover, tanks, soldiers, para ops and atg gunners.  I think the most online we had was just over 80 ppl in our squad at the same time.  Ran a dual armor op with the Anzacs and when we got close to town the Anzacs beat us there but the ppl in our column where blinking out  IIRC they had gathered armor from the N linking downs and us from the center and S. I had no idea that our bombers where over town except for the occational blink of a DB7 200m over our heads.  I think the highest I have seen AEF was just after their formation and we mustered just over 60 ppl on a squad night and rolled in with about 40 tanks.

There was always something fun going on, if you where not attacking you where gathering equipment for the attack and BSing around.  Was like that when I was with the 3rd PZ also.   I HOPE it will be possible with the hybrid system.. there was nothing quite as exciting as getting ready for an attack after all the leg work was put in, then gathering and rolling out... then that moment when you see the town you are going to attack.  Or flying over a enemy armor column "Massive ETs column otw to X town!!!"  NOW its OMG 10 ETS IB on N road or "Armor column forming - hang on guys we got 7 tanks otw!!" is about as exciting as it gets. I really hope these changes get here sooner than later - I know they are working hard b u t.. for me, I have not taken a town in 3 maps, this one included. I get stomped on all the time. Its fun when the battle is fun - Alter was a fun fight yesterday but they are too far and few in between these days. Too much has been taken away from the regular PB. The glue that binds squads together now is basically friendships.  As an allied player, things like Pak36s killing Stus from long range, Tiger parity, StugG parity, BS BEF tanks and Axis usually fielding more players has gotten me to the point of walking. THE only reasons I stay - squad primarily followed by what Scotsman is doing for the near term.   If we could get back to a balanced equipment lists again, more allies would log in and stay longer.  I have only played 2x this map and by the looks of it, probably wont get to play again before the map is over.

1 hour ago, GrAnit said:

Depends on what the final vision of a hybrid system looks like.

Way back in the day, one could do it partially risk free, which probably was not the best way to have things.
avoid the front line, but spawn as far back as you could stand to drive and pull everything forward.

I think you would want to head a different way where you can do it but must assume some risk in doing so
such as depleting your front lines or your fallback positions.

But i got a feeling that yea it would be possible again, just different.

We know all the downfalls of just an open town action system, and the downfalls of a flag only action system
but each also have good parts, trick is to rob all the good parts and leave the bad behind

1 hour ago, merlin51 said:

Depends on what the final vision of a hybrid system looks like.

Way back in the day, one could do it partially risk free, which probably was not the best way to have things.
avoid the front line, but spawn as far back as you could stand to drive and pull everything forward.

I think you would want to head a different way where you can do it but must assume some risk in doing so
such as depleting your front lines or your fallback positions.

But i got a feeling that yea it would be possible again, just different.

We know all the downfalls of just an open town action system, and the downfalls of a flag only action system
but each also have good parts, trick is to rob all the good parts and leave the bad behind

What there was ALWAYS a risk.  A big risk.  A failed attack left your linking towns void of supply and the next supply was 2 towns behind the lines and a counter attack could mean you lose the former attacking  town quickly.

If you lost the town, the winner would get a town full of new supply. If the defending town had pulled supply from the rear towns you risked losing multiple towns in a row.

26 minutes ago, stankyus said:

What there was ALWAYS a risk.  A big risk.  A failed attack left your linking towns void of supply and the next supply was 2 towns behind the lines and a counter attack could mean you lose the former attacking  town quickly.

If you lost the town, the winner would get a town full of new supply. If the defending town had pulled supply from the rear towns you risked losing multiple towns in a row.

depends on how/where you pulled them.
we usually did not pull from  the 1st 3 rows for a pre op stocking.

That isnt to say gen pop wont, but squad MO was not to leave the front line raped.
Usually only squads were deep pulling due to, time needed, number of people needed etc.
Given how restocking worked then, otto supply would hopefully have made deliveries before you got shoved back 4 towns deep
Sometimes it got enough put back to make a secondary run.

It was kind of hard back then to make a doomsday hole with out a concentrated large squad effort to do it
dont think most people would be interested and driving everything up to the front from 6 / 8 towns back?

Not that you could not do it i guess? but you'd kind of have to try to and i think most of the squad CO's and XO's would have beat your head with a hammer?

The new supply thing was definitely funky back in the instant cap, thump the table days
i remember seeing things ping pong back and forth
AB axis AB allied AB axis AB allied AB axis AB allied, i'd hope we would get a better system for that in a hybrid, a trickle or a delay in moving up or something.

18 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

depends on how/where you pulled them.
we usually did not pull from  the 1st 3 rows for a pre op stocking.

That isnt to say gen pop wont, but squad MO was not to leave the front line raped.
Usually only squads were deep pulling due to, time needed, number of people needed etc.
Given how restocking worked then, otto supply would hopefully have made deliveries before you got shoved back 4 towns deep
Sometimes it got enough put back to make a secondary run.

It was kind of hard back then to make a doomsday hole with out a concentrated large squad effort to do it
dont think most people would be interested and driving everything up to the front from 6 / 8 towns back?

Not that you could not do it i guess? but you'd kind of have to try to and i think most of the squad CO's and XO's would have beat your head with a hammer?

The new supply thing was definitely funky back in the instant cap, thump the table days
i remember seeing things ping pong back and forth
AB axis AB allied AB axis AB allied AB axis AB allied, i'd hope we would get a better system for that in a hybrid, a trickle or a delay in moving up or something.

Yah we pulled from the rear towns too often leaving a vacuum of supply. It was an area of vacant ATG, Tank and sapper tickets tickets - not just one town.  I remember countering failed massive attacks and gobbling up 3 are 4 towns afterwords by pulling rear stock foreword.  Then there was looking for equipment and not finding it, but instead pulling supply 4 towns up to restock the town behind the front line if there was a counter attack.  Usually Sappers and 88s when I was axis but often LMGs and 232s. As allied it was ATGs and Stus, sappers and SMGs. Just to plug the supply gap.  As you know there was not always a counter attack but if we thought the other side was going to counter attack or if they did we where in trouble we would spend an hour bringing up supply from even further back. Sooner or later the tickets would get filled.  Then there was the TIger map and LOL.. I once drove 2.5 hours from 4 towns behind the lines and even one town further because the town we where gathering for had already been taken and I just drove through to the next town on the menu. There where some crazy times.

I still think that garrisons should not have Tigers or Matties in them though. Only the Brigades. The biggest mistake is create the situation we had before with Tiger and Matty maps with all the little mini factories producing them.

2 hours ago, stankyus said:

As you know there was not always a counter attack

Well, way way back , even worse is weird counter moves could happen that had no logical basis
some days the map could look like this weird amoeba eating itself.
The squads are what really held things together at that point and made an unstable system have stability.

2 hours ago, stankyus said:

I still think that garrisons should not have Tigers or Matties in them though. Only the Brigades. The biggest mistake is create the situation we had before with Tiger and Matty maps with all the little mini factories producing them.

Cant do that forever though.
Figure in a hybrid system you would probably not have this plethora of flags, no need for them like as current.
So yea you could start with a tiger/matilda entering in its proper tier, and the balancing factor is it exists at like 2 heavy armor units with less unit number restriction than the current per BDE.
So you have to chose where the major mister nastiness will be. And if he is at A he can not be at B

But as tiers advance, the reason for the above ceases to exist at least on some scale
and you have to migrate to garrison, but you could still make it workable.
If garrisons had different levels depending on what it is that they hold some locations might be capable of fielding something other locations can not
which also adds more strategic value to to taking them for your side.
Or something like that, i know im being overly simplified.

That 2nd video is one of the best wwiionline recruiting videos I have seen for any ingame unit, let alone wwiionline.  Well done.

S!

12 hours ago, merlin51 said:

Cant do that forever though.
Figure in a hybrid system you would probably not have this plethora of flags, no need for them like as current.
So yea you could start with a tiger/matilda entering in its proper tier, and the balancing factor is it exists at like 2 heavy armor units with less unit number restriction than the current per BDE.
So you have to chose where the major mister nastiness will be. And if he is at A he can not be at B

But as tiers advance, the reason for the above ceases to exist at least on some scale
and you have to migrate to garrison, but you could still make it workable.
If garrisons had different levels depending on what it is that they hold some locations might be capable of fielding something other locations can not
which also adds more strategic value to to taking them for your side.
Or something like that, i know im being overly simplified.

I agree.  TBH I am strongly of the opinion that the Brigades should always have the most advanced current items and the garrisons a teir behind them.

I even have considered that in T-0, Garrison supply would be like

5 PZFs, 5 38Ts then some 2cs and 232s

10 A13s and Vickers

8 H39s and 5 Pans  and some R35s

Then the Brigades would have the 4Ds, StugBs, Chars, S35s, and Matties.

T-1 The garrisons would then be supplied with the 4Ds, StugBs S35s, Chars and Matties. They would like the T-0 Brigades.

ONLY in T2 would I consider garrisons having a very limited amount of T2 equipment simply because in T2 (in our game) there is such a VAST difference between T1 and T2 equipment.

T-3 Garrisons would the T-2 Divisions and the S76, Tiger and CH7/Firefly would only be in the divisions.

T-4 you would see the T-3 items in garrisons etc. with T4 items in Divisions.

I ask, because 1) being part of a mass attack formation is always a thrill (i.e., a ton of fun!), and 2) ambushing/attacking mass formation is great fun, too! 

One of the wildest missions I ever had had was towing a bofors to an airfield one town behind the front line and shooting down a bunch of stukas that were just taking off to attack a large armor column.  It was a wild two minutes blasting planes out of the sky - until I died.  it was a lot of fun.

When mass attack formations went away, so did a fun and exciting aspect of the game.  I hope that the new town based supply would reenable that gameplay once again.

Edited by GrAnit
1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, GrAnit said:

I ask, because 1) being part of a mass attack formation is always a thrill (i.e., a ton of fun!), and 2) ambushing/attacking mass formation is great fun, too! 

One of the wildest missions I ever had had was towing a bofors to a airfield one town behind the front line and knocking down a bunch of stukas that were just taking off to attach a large armor column.  It was a wild two minutes lasting planes out of the sky until I died.  it was a lot of fun.

When mass attack formations went away, so did a fun and exciting aspect of the game.  I hope that the new town based supply would reenable that gameplay once again.

Exactly some of the most thrilling was moving out and all the big talk how the enemy was going to lay rust in their undies.