dre21

Right now I hate Microsoft

25 posts in this topic

Their newest update gave me Blue screen of death ( inaccessible boot device) it also corrupted my mouse and keyboard driver so that I got nothing to even click onto to get any of the solutions going, that I find on the web. 

Talked to Microsoft they want me to go to a physical store in Illinois to get it fixed , I stated your updated [censored]ed up my PC and u want me to spend money, he put me on hold and supposedly someone is going to call me today . 

We will see.

With that I won't be in game for an unforeseeable future.

Windows 10?

Depending on how you have it installed and what media you have etc, you might be able to do a boot from flash drive
and to an "Upgrade Install" where it doesnt wipe your HDD but installs a new windows installation, put your old one in the windows.old folder
and leaves your docs and installed apps alone.

I had to do the same thing recently due to a hardware change

No safe mode , I got no keyboard nor mouse function .

Yes it's windows 10.

I found this which I might have to try .

Get a 16 GB thumb drive, and plug it into another working PC.  Download and run the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool fromhttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install.  Choose "Create installation media for another PC", choose thumb drive, and create your recovery media.  Then plug that into your afflicted PC, make sure it is set to boot from USB, and reinstall Windows.  Should work, I just recovered my Surface 3 using that procedure.

1 minute ago, dre21 said:

Yes it's windows 10.

Get a 16 GB thumb drive, and plug it into another working PC.  Download and run the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool fromhttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install.  Choose "Create installation media for another PC", choose thumb drive, and create your recovery media.  Then plug that into your afflicted PC, make sure it is set to boot from USB, and reinstall Windows.  Should work, I just recovered my Surface 3 using that procedure.

Yep, i did exactly that

Do you have a PS2 keyboard?

If so power it off plug it in and reboot.

See if it allows you into safe mode.

Just a thought

26 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

Do you have a PS2 keyboard?

If so power it off plug it in and reboot.

See if it allows you into safe mode.

Just a thought

Windows 8/10 does not openly offer safemode like windows 7 and previous did.
Cant just hit F8 :(

3 hours ago, merlin51 said:

Windows 8/10 does not openly offer safemode like windows 7 and previous did.
Cant just hit F8 :(

Yeah easiest fix for us and these dope heads take it out.  My PC knowledge is intermediate at best especially when it goes into the meat and potatoes aspect of it. If all else fails it off to geek squad or Milwaukee PC to get it fixed. 

1 minute ago, dre21 said:

Yeah easiest fix for us and these dope heads take it out.  My PC knowledge is intermediate at best especially when it goes into the meat and potatoes aspect of it. If all else fails it off to geek squad or Milwaukee PC to get it fixed. 

If you make to bootable thumb drive from the media creation tool
and boot the PC from it, it will let you do a new installation that does not reformat the drive
and parks the existing stuff in a windows.old folder.

Which sometimes after a long string of patches just aint a bad thing
fresh install from latest, clean drivers install and i am always amazed at how many old apps i really was not using and did not need.

19 hours ago, dre21 said:

Yes it's windows 10.

I've done this on one of my machines, it's really straight forward, recommended!

The stupid windows 10 update won't install on my pc.  I keep putting it off until it won't let me put it off any longer, than it tries and fails after 3 times, and goes back to another version or whatever.  Been doing this for a couple months.  A real pain.  The update will stop at like 81%, then the whole machine shuts off.

4 minutes ago, copeman said:

The stupid windows 10 update won't install on my pc.  I keep putting it off until it won't let me put it off any longer, than it tries and fails after 3 times, and goes back to another version or whatever.  Been doing this for a couple months.  A real pain.  The update will stop at like 81%, then the whole machine shuts off.

update from old OS or update as in patch?

1 hour ago, copeman said:

U might be better of to be all honest.

My stepdad has the same thing happening,  the update won't install same thing partial install then it stops after he seen what it did to my PC  he is happy it won't install.

Tried Windows 10.  Struggled for a couple of weeks.

Gave up, wiped it, went back to windows 7.

And I have an IT background.  It's not like I'm a noob.

19 hours ago, merlin51 said:

update from old OS or update as in patch?

Patch.  I already have windows 10, but this latest one they sent out is not working on my machine.

On 2/21/2018 at 9:44 AM, copeman said:

How?

I am sorry, you need the pro edition, just google it, you will find it. I was against windows 10 and was going to break down and buy a mac. But have decided to give this a try as I wanted to build my own computer. The only thing is you have to buy the retail version of windows 10 pro...$199. If you wait a few weeks I will finally have all the parts and will be putting it together. 

6 hours ago, dre21 said:

I'm back , PC is up and running again. 

What did you do to fix it?

On 2/19/2018 at 3:29 PM, dre21 said:

Yes it's windows 10.

@Memoi this.