• Announcements

• HEAVY265

TOS Change regarding the Forums   11/23/2018

Rule 23 is in discussions.  The official change will come out soon.  It will go effect Jan 1st. As it stands from this point.  Political and religious posts are allowed in off topic.  Be mindful to be respectful to each other.   That is all for now. Thank you for your continued support and patience.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Psych0

Radar Stations?

13 posts in this topic

Just a thought to maybe give bombers another soft target to hit. But i was thinking it would be cool to have radar stations that can be bombed to knock radar out in different sectors of the map.

Any thoughts? pros cons? I know it would take some coding but maybe we could use a building already in the CRS inventory. 

2 people like this

We have not really a Radar in the Game atm.

A Rada tell you almost exactly where the Enemy is and on what Altitude and how many they are.

What we have in the game is only yellow and red squares that more working like simple plane sightings.

In ww2 the Ground force (and civilians) have report enemy Planes by view. After this the leadership in the HQ send this information continue to all others force in the Area.

I think HC should be able to see the exact location and alt of the EA. The radar stations can be placed at certain towns and the radar would only work for the sector its in 

I have proposed that idea via Trucks ,  each side would get 3 , north, south center, each of them destroyable via bombs or captureable via paratroopers, to retake it ,paratroopers are needed , once a installation is taken or destroyed the EWS goes off line in that sector. 

Once destroyed it will need Engineers to repair it.

HC would only be allowed to move the movable EWS radar station ( Truck with a small radar installation ) only every 48 hrs . To actually make it worth while to destroy it . If you capture it it stays offline till the other side retake it . 

So the small radar installation would actually be the capture point too. 

2 people like this

I like the idea, I think we need more things like this that can be destroyed, repaired or captured. The more things we have to keep players amused, the better.

1 person likes this

Radar stations that govern a sector's AWS and even EWS

I could go for that

3 people like this

On 3/3/2018 at 5:11 PM, dre21 said:

I have proposed that idea via Trucks ,  each side would get 3 , north, south center, each of them destroyable via bombs or captureable via paratroopers, to retake it ,paratroopers are needed , once a installation is taken or destroyed the EWS goes off line in that sector. 

Once destroyed it will need Engineers to repair it.

HC would only be allowed to move the movable EWS radar station ( Truck with a small radar installation ) only every 48 hrs . To actually make it worth while to destroy it . If you capture it it stays offline till the other side retake it . 

So the small radar installation would actually be the capture point too. 

Trucks mean player-spawned

Getting three means hard restrictions on who can use them

One for "north south center" means region-locking them, which we have 0 code for

Capturable means making a ppo or static object be capturable in an aoe, which we have no code for

Dynamic EWS is something we have no code for

Engineers repairing player objects or PPOs is again something we have no code for

HC moving it means handing yet another super critical part of the game to HC which is against go-forward design philosophy because they already have to manage way too much crap

It also makes me think maybe instead this is a flag and not a player-spawned truck??

EWS simulates garrison forces/local townspeople reporting enemy forces. Has 0 things to do with radar. AWS also simulates this, but to a much greater degree of inaccuracy.

Counterproposal:

Static, destroyable, repairable Radar Station cps at every airfield, deep water port, major city (AB = 3 or more), and select other towns.

Split current AWS into larger grid squares. Sub-divide those larger grid squares with considerably smaller squares.

Owned town = access to large-scale AWS in town grid square and adjacent grid squares.

Owned, non-destroyed Radar Station: access to small-scale AWS in town grid square and adjacent grid squares.

No change to EWS because it has nothing to do with radar.

This is way less complicated, has way less reliance on currently non-existent code, and can therefore be rolled out much faster. No burden on HC and no change on EWS keeps in line with CRS design philosophy. It also imposes limits on AWS visibility which should be a decent trade for increased fidelity that you'd get with a radar station.

1 person likes this

If I remember my technical history right, radar was very poor, and tech was very new at that time. At most radar could see a direction, but definitely not height. But just seeing stuff across enemy lines gave crucial time for counter planes to get airborne.

Still I agree that the current AWS should only be "reports of enemy air by sound". Meaning that current system where I can see yellow squares far into enemy territory should be more limited than today or even removed. Of course we could have spies, and just parking an enemy truck on enemy ground should make the AWS visible area wider for a side, but all reports on other side of front line should be less updated, and not as accurate. And maybe all AWS reports over areas that have rain, should actually be deleted completely if plane is above rain clouds.

Not having AWS under some circumstances could make it harder to find action as air, but it could also mean we get more comms between ground and air. Today a report of "plane type + alt + town" is helpful for air, even if they have AWS. Although as chaoswzkd pointed out: We could have ways of giving more precise AWS reports by "owning tech". Radar tech was under development at this time. And something that could spice this up is if any side somehow could get those more precise squares of AWS, or maybe even having intel deep into enemy territory (which makes it even more worth it if removing that intel as suggesting above).

And again: Any way of bringing in "intelligence" and "scouting" to the world IS a way to get us more targets (which I think the original post wanted). But the intelligence part also brings in more ways of winning the war, and more stuff to do. Win-win if you ask me.

On 3/8/2018 at 2:25 PM, chaoswzkd said:

Trucks mean player-spawned

Getting three means hard restrictions on who can use them

One for "north south center" means region-locking them, which we have 0 code for

Capturable means making a ppo or static object be capturable in an aoe, which we have no code for

Dynamic EWS is something we have no code for

Engineers repairing player objects or PPOs is again something we have no code for

HC moving it means handing yet another super critical part of the game to HC which is against go-forward design philosophy because they already have to manage way too much crap

It also makes me think maybe instead this is a flag and not a player-spawned truck??

EWS simulates garrison forces/local townspeople reporting enemy forces. Has 0 things to do with radar. AWS also simulates this, but to a much greater degree of inaccuracy.

Counterproposal:

Static, destroyable, repairable Radar Station cps at every airfield, deep water port, major city (AB = 3 or more), and select other towns.

Split current AWS into larger grid squares. Sub-divide those larger grid squares with considerably smaller squares.

Owned town = access to large-scale AWS in town grid square and adjacent grid squares.

Owned, non-destroyed Radar Station: access to small-scale AWS in town grid square and adjacent grid squares.

No change to EWS because it has nothing to do with radar.

This is way less complicated, has way less reliance on currently non-existent code, and can therefore be rolled out much faster. No burden on HC and no change on EWS keeps in line with CRS design philosophy. It also imposes limits on AWS visibility which should be a decent trade for increased fidelity that you'd get with a radar station.

What ever works , remember it's only an idea to spur things on , I have no clue how coding works and how to program stuff.  However CRS could implement the idea is fine by me , as long there will/is more variety in game for players to do more then just attack and defend a town.

I try to get the paratrooper aspect of it in more cause in my eyes just dropping them over a town is a waste of having them in game cause survival is minimal unless it's a soft cap scenario. 

In other words give the a purpose in game if being a specific special unit to cap specific high value targets . And it takes the other side the same units to retake it .

Imagine towns that actually need a certain unit to cap or Recap a certain CP . It would spurn on Team play on both sides 

Edited by dre21

@chaoswzkd

If you only looked at EWS and not about having more targets to bombers.

I would even simplify it even more and make it easier to implement just by adding more delays or even no EWS the further you are from a side owned city.. Kinda modeling some fog of war at least for air.

On 3/11/2018 at 2:00 PM, wockawocka said:

If I remember my technical history right, radar was very poor, and tech was very new at that time. At most radar could see a direction, but definitely not height. But just seeing stuff across enemy lines gave crucial time for counter planes to get airborne.

depends on your timeframe. early in the war the capability to detect and the ability to interpret correctly and then relay expediently was only something the chain home system could do well - ish. as the war progressed the germans got incredibly good, they had the most practice. they could even tell the difference between chaff and real bombers.

i've also read that as the war progressed techniques/instruments were developed that allowed the ground listening stations to more quickly and accurately predict not only altitude but number faster and more accurately than radar could. something along the lines of decibel levels trending linearly for each bomber so an audible signal at X level meant Y bombers. was an interesting read.

9 hours ago, merlin51 said:

Someone is pulling your chain with photoshop me thinks

I bet thats what it is, but the BGE logo on them, and the fact that they lasted this long in here without being removed makes me wonder...

LOL they went p00f

Edited by bogol

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0