Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ch0ad

Airfield lights and lights at night in general

11 posts in this topic

At night, it would be kinda cool to have airfield lights activated when friendly aircraft approach (set off automatically kind of like ews). Outlining the airfield or some semblance of a landing strip.

Would be kinda cool to have other types of artificial lighting in game. Maybe some scatteted street lights, periodic buildings that have a lit room (would be cool to shoot a silhoutte looking through a window haha). Once a building is destroyed of course lighting goes out. Spotlights casting out in certain directions for a short distance iluminating the ground from ai towers or something like that would be kinda cool as well.

In general it would a nice graphic feature - making things a little more interesting to look at during nighttime. Would help aircraft bomb at night in towns, etc.

Edited by ch0ad

When combat neared, civilian power companies turned off the juice. That helped their expensive system to survive, and decreased the number of fires resulted from battle damage.

In purely military contexts, defenders never left lights on while they were attacked.

And just from a game technology perspective, light sources and specular shadows are difficult. AFAIK the CRS client engine doesn't really have that capability. Maybe eventually when the game runs on UE4.

Ok good point on city lights. Probably difficult to implement like you said anyhow.

I strayed a bit from my main point i guess, airfield lights. i believe airfields had some sort of lighting for their night fighters and bombers. I cant imagine this would be difficult to implement.

Static lighting might be possible, or possibly even just having brightly-colored objects that would be visible from the air.

Dynamic lighting is much more difficult, although we do have a bit of that already in the game (muzzle flashes light up walls I believe).

Again...airfields within attack range of the enemy never had lights at night. It would be militarily stupid to provide the enemy with a precise targeting capability like that.

During wartime, lights are off at night. Houses have blackout curtains, streetlights are turned off, most traffic is banned and what traffic operates has dim and shielded headlights. The whole point is to not be visible to enemy bombers.

Regarding spotlights, the current game engine can't do that. My guess is that the next game engine will be able to.

(muzzle flashes light up walls I believe).

That's a faked effect. Surfaces near a fired weapon are briefly illuminated, without reference to directionality of the lighting or intervening obstacles. It's only an adequate effect because it's so brief that players don't notice the unrealism.

lighted runways wouldn't have be the norm in ww2. cool idea though. the Allies hired a magician in fact who used lighting techniques to make the Germans completely miss their harbor target at night. essentially strung a bunch of lights in the water that looked like the harbor light setup, shut off the lights, watched bombs fall in the bay on the decoy lights - profit.

for the most part though you would want to hop in a time machine and take a long short position on European utility stocks round 1935 cause war typically = lights out.

Edited by madrebel

AFs with lights weren't common in WW2. All countries had dedicated night fighter/bomber/pathfinder units with highly specialized training and planes with additional (heavy) navigation systems. Sometimes even auto pilot systems like the german PKS/11 and 13 systems. in addition to that, fields with lights on them for night duties. however, these lights wouldn't have been on all the time. they'd only turn the lights on when a plane was on approach. why else would you hav lights on with the threat of enemy bombs?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0