XOOM

We are trying

58 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, drozy said:

I sub'ed this game when it first released. Stayed with it for a long time.  Came back to see what changed and I am sorry I really haven't seen that much.  Today I threw a potato masher at a lorrie n m5 , didn't see any explosion and the lorrie and gun continued on down the river road for 1000 or so yards.  Needless to say i was thinking I missed it but it looked like a perfect throw in the road(time delay was figured into throw).  Took 7 shots with the k98 since it appeared the grenade didn't work.  Finally the truck despawns.  But I had NO idea if I had killed them or if it was other reason they despawned.  At this point I can't really say I am impressed on what I see. 

Can not quite explain you not seeing or hearing your grenade, that is odd, unless they hit water there is normally a nice BOOM and some dust/smoke

But the truck, if you kill the driver, yes it will roll off dead stick if its in gear and moving, anything onboard or being towed is hauled off as hostage.
Which can sometimes be comical if said truck vaults over a cliff or into a river with passengers and guns in tow, other times it will roll off and hit a tree
or some such, depends on if the driver wants to remain in world long enough to grant you some amusement or just despawn right away.
One dead giveaway that the truck is rolling dead stick is no more rational defensive steering going on, usually you take a non fatal hit in a truck you start trying to jink around a bit to make yourself not quite such an easy target (not that it helps terribly most of the time) head for cover etc.
Dead drivers just roll off, into whatever the truck runs into.

Since the AT gun did not unhitch and return fire, i am guessing you killed it either with rifle or the strangely silent grenade

HE audit is coming, which will up the anty on grenades

Through the history of the game, opinions have been strong.  KILLER used to talk about how the politics of the game recreated some of the politics that happened during the war.  No matter which side one looked at there was always things on each side that were stronger than the other, and some things that were weaker than the other.  It is no secret that along the way that CRS lost their way on historical information being true in the game.  One thing I can state for sure, in recent years is the fact that things have moved back in the right direction.  Being outside of CRS and also as part of the team, I can testify fully that there is no bias towards either side.  Only a few years ago the game was within weeks of no longer being here.  Most of you know this, but it is still an amazing story of facing certain death of the game and being able to rally and pull it through.  It is easy to state that CRS (the newer team that is no that new any longer) has been improving the game and that it has been years since they took the reigns and XXX should be done by now.  While the time has slowly moved along, having seen the workings of the team from the inside and out, I can say that it is still amazing that they have accomplished as much as they have in that time period.  For a team that is made up of mostly volunteers who use their professional skills to better the game with no money in return, it is still amazing that the team is able to get as much accomplish as they do.  The game is not the easiest thing in the world to work with on the inside.  XOOM once said it was like performing open heart surgery on a patient staring you in  the face, while I am not sure if he has had experience with performing open heart surgery, I did find that his words were true.  The game is based on languages that very few people understand anymore, and to make it worse over the years it has been scrambled up into a mess.  

Along the way, CRS has been able to take baby steps to learn what makes the game work, and how doing one thing will result in a million other things breaking.  Only a few short years ago no progress on the game was made.  Since then the team has made many great advances.  It is often easy to forget big accomplishments shortly after they have been completed when dreaming about the next day and not looking back.  Even looking back only one year ago, many major things happened with the game that was not possible at that time.  Back then it was only  a dream to add vehicles to the game or work to be done on the terrain.   While there was hope, lots of things were long shots at the time, and since then the small team has been able to unscramble more pieces of the complex puzzle and make progress in areas that they were not expecting too.

I realize that the game has always been based on the hope for the future.  Ever since the orange boards players have dreamed of what this game could be in the future.  There was a time when players wished for screenshots of the game as it progressed through beta, then on to bigger things.  The wish list always grew as other items were marked off.  The game could never be finished, and still should never be finished since it would end the dreams of tomorrow.  Back when it was started many people said it would never be possible, and for years now people have said it would not be around much longer.  Even with all those predictions, the game has lived on.  

The game has always been a love/hate relationship.  Even in the early years I can remember having to get up and walk away before I went postal on the family cat.  While the majority of the time the game provided great enjoyment, at times it caused major heartburn and anger.  As time went on, the game progressed.  There is no secret, the game has only lived on due to the community that backs it, and now a strong team of people who utilize their professional skills to move it forward, which most of them get no money from the game.  Even the ones who do make a little could make more working at a fast food place part-time.   The future of the game is still based on dreams of tomorrow, and it will always be that way.  The only way that the game will make it with the continued support of those who pay their subscriptions and continue to back the dream.  

12 people like this

WARNING >>>>>> Many words to follow <<<<<<<< WARNING

Been reading so many comments in this thread and others. And, as in so many games, things tend to boil down to three issues:

Me...Me...Me...

I'm not saying this to be insulting. It's just a fact of human nature that, try as we might, as people we tend to prioritize our own issues first. In the case of our beloved game,  there was nothing that could be done for years. During those years, people endured the lack of updates, but spent a LOT of time developing their individual and side based wish lists.

Then came CRS 2.0. With XOOM at the helm, and CRS was finally able to start making improvements and new developments. So it was like Christmas. AND like Christmas, everyone immediately dug out  their WWII Online Christmas lists and clamored for old Santa XOOM to fulfill them. And they wanted it NOW. ( I admit here that I am just as guilty. Feel free to ask XOOM how many times I have tried to bug him about High Command uniforms or about allowing Navy infantry to spawn at their own docks...:rolleyes: ) It's not as if CRS hasn't been listening and trying, but let's all be honest with ourselves... it would be impossible for any company to immediately develop and implement every good idea suggested by the player base. )

CRS has to prioritize new development. It's not easy to begin with, and a major problem is/are the folks who are unwilling to see requests other than their own come up in the pipeline first. They see five new developments, but because those  items are not what they wanted, suddenly CRS is pushing the wrong priorities, and is wasting precious development resources and time. Then some of the unhappy villagers start down the "If CRS keeps this up and doesn't do what I want, I'm going to unsub!" road with torches and pitchforks. It's a crazy situation.

I think that, taking everything into account, CRS has done an amazing job. They are working on a metric crapton of different new adds and fixes every single day. But it takes time people. I guarantee you that old Santa XOOM and his elves have checked their lists a lot more than  twice, and want to fulfill as many of them as are physically possible and are good for the entire community. But we need to give them the time to do it. On top of that, a lot of those elves do this out of the goodness of their hearts...I think they deserve more "thank yous" than "What's wrong with you guys ? Why haven't you  completed and added what I want?" I believe that positive comments will go a lot farther towards keeping these guys on the team than negative ones will.

Look guys, human nature is unavoidable, but we also have human reason to temper it. Consider that CRS spends  a heck of a lot more time communicating DIRECTLY with players than any other game that i have ever heard of. They have Rat Chats with live Q&A. Look at yesterday's chat. I specifically saw one of the Rats get out of his chair to grab a notebook to write down player concerns. THAT  was just awesome. Maybe it was a little thing. Maybe some felt he should have already been ready, but the fact is that he made that effort. ( Just try showing me where the dev team of Heroes & Generals have been directly communicating with and responding to their players on a similar level )  Personally, I feel that anyone who is saying that CRS has not been transparent needs to take another look. I don't know of any other company that let's players get anywhere near as involved with game development.

But maybe some of that close communication is responsible for the way people respond to the team. They say familiarity breeds contempt, and thanks to CRS's overly close  relationship with customers, I think that people have gotten used to demanding more of a direct response from them than they would ever ask from another developer. The more you get to know XOOM or Badger or Scotsman, the more comfortable you are about asking them for more and more. "Hey, they  know me, so my criticisms or suggestions will carry more weight with them." Unfortunately for CRS, it's an unfortunate side effect of their efforts to try to reassure us and keep their customers in the development loop. Personally, I count my blessings that they tell us as much as they do.

And HERE is a thought... CRS is constantly asking for players to volunteer. If you really want to have a say in the game's development, volunteer and HELP. Maybe you might just be able to help make your own WWII Online Christmas list come true.

S!S!S!S!S!S!

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, dre21 said:

I read Badger this comes to mind.

Theirs a football one from years ago...

On 09/03/2018 at 3:09 PM, BADGER said:

Through the history of the game, opinions have been strong.  KILLER used to talk about how the politics of the game recreated some of the politics that happened during the war.  No matter which side one looked at there was always things on each side that were stronger than the other, and some things that were weaker than the other.  It is no secret that along the way that CRS lost their way on historical information being true in the game.  One thing I can state for sure, in recent years is the fact that things have moved back in the right direction.  Being outside of CRS and also as part of the team, I can testify fully that there is no bias towards either side.  Only a few years ago the game was within weeks of no longer being here.  Most of you know this, but it is still an amazing story of facing certain death of the game and being able to rally and pull it through.  It is easy to state that CRS (the newer team that is no that new any longer) has been improving the game and that it has been years since they took the reigns and XXX should be done by now.  While the time has slowly moved along, having seen the workings of the team from the inside and out, I can say that it is still amazing that they have accomplished as much as they have in that time period.  For a team that is made up of mostly volunteers who use their professional skills to better the game with no money in return, it is still amazing that the team is able to get as much accomplish as they do.  The game is not the easiest thing in the world to work with on the inside.  XOOM once said it was like performing open heart surgery on a patient staring you in  the face, while I am not sure if he has had experience with performing open heart surgery, I did find that his words were true.  The game is based on languages that very few people understand anymore, and to make it worse over the years it has been scrambled up into a mess.  

Along the way, CRS has been able to take baby steps to learn what makes the game work, and how doing one thing will result in a million other things breaking.  Only a few short years ago no progress on the game was made.  Since then the team has made many great advances.  It is often easy to forget big accomplishments shortly after they have been completed when dreaming about the next day and not looking back.  Even looking back only one year ago, many major things happened with the game that was not possible at that time.  Back then it was only  a dream to add vehicles to the game or work to be done on the terrain.   While there was hope, lots of things were long shots at the time, and since then the small team has been able to unscramble more pieces of the complex puzzle and make progress in areas that they were not expecting too.

I realize that the game has always been based on the hope for the future.  Ever since the orange boards players have dreamed of what this game could be in the future.  There was a time when players wished for screenshots of the game as it progressed through beta, then on to bigger things.  The wish list always grew as other items were marked off.  The game could never be finished, and still should never be finished since it would end the dreams of tomorrow.  Back when it was started many people said it would never be possible, and for years now people have said it would not be around much longer.  Even with all those predictions, the game has lived on.  

The game has always been a love/hate relationship.  Even in the early years I can remember having to get up and walk away before I went postal on the family cat.  While the majority of the time the game provided great enjoyment, at times it caused major heartburn and anger.  As time went on, the game progressed.  There is no secret, the game has only lived on due to the community that backs it, and now a strong team of people who utilize their professional skills to move it forward, which most of them get no money from the game.  Even the ones who do make a little could make more working at a fast food place part-time.   The future of the game is still based on dreams of tomorrow, and it will always be that way.  The only way that the game will make it with the continued support of those who pay their subscriptions and continue to back the dream.  

One of the reasons the game is still alive is because people like me donate (yes, donate) money to keep it going.

I do not log in, but I do have a premium account.  There are plenty of things I have ideas about how to fix it.. and also how to monetize the game so it doesnt go bust.. but it is difficult to do.

These days I cannot log in for three hours, I just cant.  I can have short games of 20-30 mins, and I also like to know if I killed somebody or not.  This does not go well with realism, and has its fun part: you never know if you killed that solder.  Now, the corpse should stay, and an indication of when it was killed should appear when you look at it.. and remove it dont know, maybe one hour after dead.

Same for tanks, etc.. 

The graphics are just not there.  Horrible.  I mean, they used to be way worse seven or eight years ago, still, horrid.  And 32 bits, most load to a single core.. I do know how much it would cost to update, and just do my small part.