david01

FMS still camped way too easily by tanks

41 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

Nice post Chaos....

but >>>

making the FMS harder to destroy, only promotes and prolongs the ability to camp.

the current FMS is usually a death trap for infantry once a tank gets in camping range.

If mission leaders paid attention and played correctly, there would be no camping. If players spawned in, died, and communicated to their mission leaders what happened, there would be no camping.

It should be enough that one player spawns in, dies, and then the mission lead pulls the FMS.

The game should have more things in place to facilitate this outside direct player interaction, like the FMS being cappable or something (after which it despawns), or a warning to spawning players, or etc. However, the tools are there, today, in the game, to 100% prevent camping beyond one player dying.

1 person likes this

What on earth is the underpop team supposed to do when they don't have 20+ players to bring along spawn ATGs and AA? Just not attack?

And it would be nice if someone would post a video of what a successful proper attack with the FMS properly supported and defended looks like. Because I keep reading about how it's supposed to be done, but I don't see any of the people actually executing it. If it's so easy then it should be easy to pull up a video from the past 24hrs showing how it's done.

22 minutes ago, david01 said:

What on earth is the underpop team supposed to do when they don't have 20+ players to bring along spawn ATGs and AA? Just not attack?

And it would be nice if someone would post a video of what a successful proper attack with the FMS properly supported and defended looks like. Because I keep reading about how it's supposed to be done, but I don't see any of the people actually executing it. If it's so easy then it should be easy to pull up a video from the past 24hrs showing how it's done.

If they can't ever defend their FMS, sure, they should stick to defending their towns. Similar concepts apply there, though. 

I'll try recording next time Windhund sets up a properly defended FMS ZoC with only 3 people (1 engineer building, 1 ATG, 1 Panzer).

I want to be able to spawn a destroyer from the FMS. That would be awesome for my stats. And funny. 

2 hours ago, chaoswzkd said:

If mission leaders paid attention and played correctly, there would be no camping. If players spawned in, died, and communicated to their mission leaders what happened, there would be no camping.

It should be enough that one player spawns in, dies, and then the mission lead pulls the FMS.

The game should have more things in place to facilitate this outside direct player interaction, like the FMS being cappable or something (after which it despawns), or a warning to spawning players, or etc. However, the tools are there, today, in the game, to 100% prevent camping beyond one player dying.

In a perfect world yes...In this game world, i'm afraid it doesn't always jive.

3 hours ago, Pittpete said:

Not allowing a few medium ATG's to spawn at FMS without trying it first is a little shortsighted, no disrespect..

Unless you try something you're only guessing at the outcome.....

See Stanky's post. We did have some come through. But to me (imo) it's pretty easy to follow what will happen. The medium ATG's are highly competent in destroying much larger tanks. This is great news for FMS defense, it is bad news for the tank game.

After watching the video and looking at the minimap and seeing the distance to town, it must have taken that Sherman a good 10-15 mins to get into that position and you complain about the FMS ?!?

That is a player base problem allowing to get camped like that not a problem with the FMS. You guys (and I see atleast 10 there) had plenty of time to setup. Problem is most players won't defend it and just run off and then complain when it gets camped and since no one defends it, its your own problem that u created. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, XOOM said:

See Stanky's post. We did have some come through. But to me (imo) it's pretty easy to follow what will happen. The medium ATG's are highly competent in destroying much larger tanks. This is great news for FMS defense, it is bad news for the tank game.

UNfortunately though people are using tanks to camp the FMS..They're not being used to kill other tanks so much..Just saying:D

When i want to kill a tank i'll spawn an ATG.

When i want to camp or supress theres nothing better than a tank.

28 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

UNfortunately though people are using tanks to camp the FMS..They're not being used to kill other tanks so much..Just saying:D

That's to be expected, if no defenses are going up, or if players are not bringing in that heavy equipment, it's to be expected. The FMS is not intended to be a one stop shop for instant armies. Remember, the FRU was more easily killable, and had infantry supply exclusively. So we have increased the probability of these things surviving, but they are not supposed to be the solution to capturing a town.

It's a fine balance. If we gave them medium - heavy ATG's at the FMS, yes tanks would get obliterated and in this regard be unable to "suppress" these FMS's, so in that regard we'd win. But they would be tremendously powerful in ways that would hurt the game imo, particularly the tanking game.

32 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

UNfortunately though people are using tanks to camp the FMS..They're not being used to kill other tanks so much

Technically that is not wrong.
Tanks were created to kill infantry while being immune to them, not to kill other tanks.
And if you think about it, i could drive out and kill every enemy tank on the map and still lose every town out from under me
because only infantry can truly take and hold ground.

So you go after the opposing infantry to solve the problem of losing ground, and you do it in a tank to solve the problem of you getting shot.

Except when the opposing infantry has brought along a few heavier guns in whatever form and stashed them at a bit of distance which solves the problem of you
being an annoyance in a tin can parked at the front door.

Well dam diggity Merlin....I thought the Germans made the Tiger tank to kill other tanks..Guess i was wrong:popcorn:

I stand firm on allowing an FMS to spawn a small amount of medium ATG's like you can at the depots.

1 minute ago, Pittpete said:

Well dam diggity Merlin....I thought the Germans made the Tiger tank to kill other tanks..Guess i was wrong:popcorn:

I stand firm on allowing an FMS to spawn a small amount of medium ATG's like you can at the depots.

He doesn't even play the game lol, just spam bombs the forums. 

if We  change the terrain vegetation by replacing those bushes by uncrossable wooden/stone hedges. We will see tanks approaching from further away and be allowed to deploy differently by making use of all PPOs to « close » ZOCs.

And with a few high vegetal hedges we could offer places to hide FMSs behind as well.

this could solve the camping «  problem » alone. 

See topic here 

realistic terrain with realistic off road speeds solves a lot of gameplay problems. city ruins need to not be so easily passable either otherwise the ground game will never have any real flow to it with essentially all sides being valid attack vectors save for a few spots in the game world. 

Should it not be assumed that if an army is going to 'put down' a force projection point that it would at least have sufficient defensive capabilities as to deal with the opposing force's primary armor threat? ive never understood why 'mobile spawn points' in this game have classically been super easy to destroy. has that ever felt right?

FMS is a free truck ride that you don't have to wait for like in the old days.
That is it, don't assume anything else about it, all the rest is up to players, whether it is supported or defended or camped or closed or moved etc.
It is simply a time to combat aid.

17 hours ago, Pittpete said:

Tiger was made to the specification of a breakthrough tank.  Its a common misconception that it was built to counter the KV or T-34.  

Merlin is partially wrong in regards to the tactics of tanks.  Their purpose is to exploit a gap and cause a breakthrough. This was discovered by the germans.

Odly enough the best way to utilize tanks in modern warfare (and ww2 warfare) is to avoid enemy tanks and instead use your armored and mechanized divisions against regular infantry divisions.

Edited by fufubear1f